Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. (53534 Views)

Photos: What Kind Of Skin Disease Is This? / Nigerian Girl Dies In Thailand After Buttock Surgery Fails / Enquiry On Procedures For Pre Employment Medical Examination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by jodeci(m): 3:01pm On Jun 19, 2009
Doctors and experienced personnel in the house,could u please educate me on what discoveries could fail one during pre-employment medical test.

I attended one recently and my blood pressure was on the high side.Though nothing was said about it by the doctor apart from asking me if my parents have high BP to which i answered no.

i hv been scared since then.
Re: What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by Iyara(m): 4:54pm On Jun 19, 2009
My guy,

No worry too much. To be able to earn a living is one of the basic human rights. Therefore, it would take a lot for the screening facility to declare a person unfit for employment.  The person has to be quite ill. Truth is in most cases, when you see a really sick person, you will know, doctor or not.

We do a lot of pre-employment medicals where I work. A lot of the candidates usually come in apprehensive, especially the first timers. I usually try to educate them that most of the time the medical is to detect early and manage promptly conditions that you might otherwise have been unaware of.
Most times, the screenings reveal nothing abnormal. Even when they do, it is usually something that can be treated.

Don’t think of it as pass or fail. You were probably nervous when you saw the doctor that’s why your BP shot up, something known as “white coat hypertension”. Anyway, if a routine screening picked up high blood pressure, I say you’re one of the lucky ones. Reason being you can get to adjust your lifestyle early enough to become a full-fledged hypertensive. If it were diabetes, then you would need to change your diet, exercise more and probably start treatment.

Even HIV my brother, the big one that everybody fears and the main reason for the rise in pre-employment medicals in Naija, if detected early can be managed with the right drugs. Anyway HIV should ideally not be grounds for disqualification, in most jobs. You actually have the right to sue your employer for wrongful termination, I think.

What is in the mind of most employers when they send new employees for health assessment is;
If I hire this person, will he or she;
[list]
[li]Suddenly collapse one day in my office and will I have to pay huge compensation to their families?
Be constantly taking sick-leave?[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Pre-employment is a good thing. It is actually the only way most of us here get to do a medical check-up in our adult lifetimes which is not ideal.

I hope I’ve been helpful.

9 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by jodeci(m): 2:20pm On Jun 24, 2009
Thanks very much Iyara,Your submission was quite informative and soothing.

Thanks once more!
Re: What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by Nobody: 8:35am On Mar 01, 2010
I was declared unfit for employment in 1996 because of high blood pressure. It will not be your portion brother.

3 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by Pauldiamond(m): 1:22pm On May 20, 2016
What about those diagnosed to be hiv positive?
Re: What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 20, 2016
In most cases its heart diseases, that can lead to sudden collapse etc.

A friend of mine started positive to hepB during a pre employment medicals. The MD specifically told him he cant employ him due to the nature of the job.
Re: What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by JARUSHUB: 6:18pm On Feb 13, 2018
Blood pressure hardly affects employment chance except the nature of the job is directly related.

In this article we discussed the diseases that affect pre employment test outcome, majorly HIV and hepatitis B

http://www.jarushub.com/top-diseases-that-can-make-you-fail-medicals/
Re: What Kind Of Illness Or Findings Fails One During Pre-employment Medical Test. by Sanban: 6:43pm On Apr 20, 2018
Iyara:

Sir I have a hydrocele problem but in the last week have done the operation and my scrotum is right now swollen and in the next week I have my bank medical test. Will they reject me for this reason?
Please take this on a urgent basis....
[/quote]

(1) (Reply)

Heavy Rainfall Wreaks Havoc In A Cemetery In Kano. PICS / 193 New COVID-19 Cases, 1045 Tested, 110 discharged, 3 Deaths On May 14 / Dr Anu Of Medcontour Arrested, Charged To Court

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.