Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,530 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders (2494 Views)

Precious Chikwendu Storms Out Of Court, Judge Fails To Appear / Appeal Court Expunges Part Of APC’s Petition Against Wike / Senate Committee Suspends Petition Against Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by dedollarman(m): 1:41pm On Jan 13, 2016
United States President, Mr. Barack Obama,

Petition garnered over 4,000 signatories, 47,000 views
Senator Iroegbu in Abuja

United States President, Mr. Barack Obama, has been formally presented with over 4,000 signatory petition, calling on President Muhammadu Buhari to respect court orders, uphold the constitution of Nigeria or resign from office.

The petition, which is being championed by a Legal Practitioner, Constitutional and Human Rights Lawyer, Ms. Carol Ajie, was sent to Obama on Monday, urging him to bear his influence on Buhari to respect the rule of law.

Ajie had in the petition which was launch on the new year eve through the popular petition site Change.org, with over 4,000 signatories and 47,000 views, also urged the Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), lawyers, legislators, National Judicial Council (NJC) and benchers, among others, to “call on President Buhari to resign from office for his disobedience to court orders.”

The concerned lawyer with the support of other members of the judicial arm of the government, including the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), asserted that Buhari, by his statements during the Presidential Media Chat at the State House in Abuja, was behind the flagrant disobedience to court orders.

Through the petition, Ajie made what she described as a clarion call on President Obama and other concerned stakeholders to “respectfully call President Buhari to order, prohibit violence from politics and rights advocacy campaigns, ask President Buhari to respect court orders or resign, support Nigeria and Nigerians to achieve true federalism or support the path to a confederation of independent states in Nigeria.”

She listed some factors in the current administration which necessitated the petition including “sectional tension, deliberate acts of inhumanity and dehumanisation, gender injustice, presidential profligacy and budget 2016 and disobedience of court orders.”

She said: “President Buhari’s unfair tactics, expression of prejudices and hostility towards the people commonly known as ‘Biafrans’ in the South-eastern region of Nigeria, is a bad precedent against our peaceful co-existence. The gravamen of his complaint is that the Igbos did not vote for him in March 2015. His supporters now tag the South-east derogatorily as ‘Biafra.’ Elected as President, he must be magnanimous in victory.

“President Buhari was quoted as saying those who didn’t vote for him will be punished and sadly demonstrated this in a modern society.”
Ajie in the petition, also accused the president of deliberate acts of inhumanity and dehumanisation, especially against the Shiites and Biafran agitators, liking his treatment of these two groups to what led to the 1994 Rwanda genocide.

The human rights activist accused President Buhari of gender injustice, saying: “For obscure reasons, President Buhari ceded only 15 per cent to women in his cabinet, without remorse or apologies. Hence must be held to keep this and his other campaign promises and pledges, please.”

Source

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/obama-receives-formal-petition-against-buhari-for-disregard-of-court-orders/230198/

3 Likes

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Juxtified(m): 1:48pm On Jan 13, 2016
Obama? Has he now become the President of the International Court of Justice, or has America become our new colonial masters?
The petition is as misdirected & attention-seeking as it is frivolous. For example, what is derogatorary about the name 'Biafra', a name even the bearers prefer to be called?

11 Likes

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by richidinho(m): 1:50pm On Jan 13, 2016
yes Obama

that is where he (Buhari) visits always
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by missKiffy(f): 1:54pm On Jan 13, 2016
And what the hell will Obama do about undecided
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 13, 2016
Juxtified:
Obama? Has he now become the President of the International Court of Justice, or has America become our new colonial masters?

I wonder oh. But truly some body needs to hear this if not obama maybe MUGABE OR ASSAD of Syria.
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:00pm On Jan 13, 2016
And what would Obama do, arrest Buhari?

3 Likes

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Juxtified(m): 2:01pm On Jan 13, 2016
excellence44:

I wonder oh. But truly some body needs to hear this if not obama maybe MUGABE OR ASSAD of Syria.
lol. Mugabe indeed. You should have added Putin to complete the list.

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Pidggin(f): 2:02pm On Jan 13, 2016
Great news! Many of us are so used to having our rights abused that we no longer know what human right means. Our Judiciary should be obeyed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Psalm18: 2:20pm On Jan 13, 2016
Of course Obama cannot arrest Buhari.
The whole essence of the petition is to put pressure on the President of Nigeria either through a formal representation of the ambassador of the US to Nigeria or through other diplomatic channels.

Matters like this shows the acceptability of the influence of the superpowers while also limited by the powers of sovereignty.
Thus Obama may not be able to call Buhari and order him to drop the abuse of court orders but he could put pressure on him and if he slides further into other more serious acts like dictatorship, then sanctions will follow.
The above is just an explanatory for those asking what Obama can do and those appaled by acts bordering on our sovereignty.
----+----------------------------------------------------------

My own take is, US will ignore this petition, of course they will acknowledge it but file it under issues of non serious matter. If Buhari was to begin to kill citizens indiscriminately or gag the press, then those are serious matters.

Under Abacha we were treated as a pariah nation. None of us wants to go back to those dark days.
You cannot travel for studies, visa become difficult. Trade is restricted, foreign training is cancelled and foreign partners that do critical works like power, health and others are not allowed into the country.
I'm confident we won't get there. President Buhari has increasingly made statements that he will respect the powers of our Constitution.
It's his acoltyes I fear more, who want him to abuse court proceedings or take us into dictatorship just to solve corruption.
Corruption is not solved by dictatorship. If it were, Russia won't be among the most corrupt nation in the world today.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by omenka(m): 2:25pm On Jan 13, 2016
Juxtified:
The petition is as misdirected & attention-seeking as it is frivolous. For example, what is derogatorary about the name 'Biafra', a name even the bearers prefer to be called?
Anytime I need a good laugh I just read stuffs relating to Biafra.

*Reporting Buhari to Obama. Wtf!

Rotflmao. cheesycheesycheesy

4 Likes

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
Juxtified:

Ignorance!, Yes America is still your colonial master the reason you duara president will always go and beg for help. He even thanked them for helping him win election. I dont know how Biafra come into this, but i think its done out of stewpidity

7 Likes

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by citizenY(m): 2:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
Very amusing, when you consider the fact that Guantanamo is just a few miles from mainland US undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Taking coal to Newcastle..... if you ask me cool

3 Likes

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Lvlink(f): 2:44pm On Jan 13, 2016
By the time this country begins to chop sanctions like Groundnut, i imagine what the zombie worshipers will be saying!

Meanwhile Buhari is a drunken tyrant. He dosnt obey the laws, just like in Animal Kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Lushore1: 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2016
Please kindly forward another copy to Putin..lol

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by TheFreeOne: 2:47pm On Jan 13, 2016
In the words of Funke Akindele:
I have paid my tax have you paid yours wink

Through the petition, Ajie made what she described as a clarion call on President Obama and other concerned stakeholders to “respectfully call President Buhari to order, prohibit violence from politics and rights advocacy campaigns, ask President Buhari to respect court orders or resign, support Nigeria and Nigerians to achieve true federalism or support the path to a confederation of independent states in Nigeria.”

Let's say NO to dictatorship/tyranny.
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by dedollarman(m): 3:05pm On Jan 13, 2016
All in all rule of law mush prevail
Court order must be respected because is the
Last hope of a common Man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Juxtified(m): 3:14pm On Jan 13, 2016
GreatSE:

Ignorance!, Yes America is still your colonial master the reason you duara president will always go and beg for help. He even thanked them for helping him win election. I dont know how Biafra come into this, but i think its done out of stewpidity
yeah, we may run to them for help, but that doesn't remove the autonomy of Nigeria to the extent of petitioning one national president to another
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by PRYCE(m): 3:16pm On Jan 13, 2016
Haba you guys want the dull one to go lock himself in some closet?

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Mack3N: 3:54pm On Jan 13, 2016
omenka:
Anytime I need a good laugh I just read stuffs relating to Biafra.

*Reporting Buhari to Obama. Wtf!

Rotflmao. cheesycheesycheesy
Hope you will laugh loud when Nigeria is sanctioned!
Gaddafi and Assad comes to mind.

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Remii(m): 4:05pm On Jan 13, 2016
GreatSE:

america never colonised nigeria, england did, so the word "still" doesn't apply

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Remii(m): 4:10pm On Jan 13, 2016
Mack3N:

Hope you will laugh loud when Nigeria is sanctioned!
Gaddafi and Assad comes to mind.
so in you opinion, america loves libya and syria? pls dont wish nigeria what libya and syrians are going thru, meanwhile, people in detention are not there without offence, rule of law without human face and justice to majority is an absurdity

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Mack3N: 4:18pm On Jan 13, 2016
Remii:
so in you opinion, america loves libya and syria? pls dont wish nigeria what libya and syrians are going thru, meanwhile, people in detention are not there without offence, rule of law without human face and justice to majority is an absurdity
International influence and power is the cause of syria's problem now,U.S is sponsoring "moderate Syrian rebels" to fight Isis because it does not believe in the Assad-led govt....

Google a list of countries suffering diplomatic sanctions and see where their economy is..
Only an arms embargo sanction against Nigeria will see it loose it's fight against terrorism.

1 Like

Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by freindsofdesign: 4:28pm On Jan 13, 2016
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by mankan2k7(m): 4:51pm On Jan 13, 2016
Bubu don enter the ram
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by millhouse: 5:27pm On Jan 13, 2016
Cd
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by flokii: 7:32pm On Jan 13, 2016
grin

e no go pass Kanu matter... IPOB sef wan show say dem get connectn

issokay we're watching

btw I hope they asked Obama what d punishment for 'Treasonable felony' is in America
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by LMFashions: 9:09am On Jan 16, 2016
Shey na like this we go dey dey grin
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by dedollarman(m): 10:27am On Jan 16, 2016
Nigeria a country with many troubles
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by orisa37: 12:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
Present counter petition to Buhari to deal with Obama and let's see how it goes.
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by Sammyashol(m): 1:08pm On Jan 16, 2016
Re: Obama Receives Formal Petition Against Buhari For Disregard Of Court Orders by mashin(m): 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2016
Happy Ignorance day to ms Carol Ajie

(1) (Reply)

Corruption GEJ Spent 93 Billion For 2015 Election / Peter Obi's Handover Note To Willy Obiano In 2014 (leaked) / Fani-Kayode Reacts To APC Claims That Atiku Is Not A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.