Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? (4073 Views)

Alakija Rejoices With Couple Who Welcomed Twins After 18 Years Of Marriage. PICS / Woman Gives Birth To Twins 18 Years After Marriage. Photos / What Is The Ideal Spousal Age Difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by NetBizguy: 11:00am On Jan 14, 2016
Hi guys, I am one of those that believe that age is a number when it comes to relationship, but after my elder sister's experience in her marriage of 8yrs without child before break-up, she started regretting the whole thing because her Husband gave her straight twenty years (20yrs), she got married when she was 21 and her husband was 41 then, her regret of marrying a much older person is that if the Man was younger as in between the age of 28 & 35 when they got married they could have still have time to try more because the Man at a time became over worried about his age which lead to many things before finally divorce.

Now my younger cousin sister called me yesterday and said a man is asking for her hand in marriage since last year November, the man in question is a good man and well to do, My cousin is 18yrs and the man is 36yrs, she asked whats my opinion, whether to go ahead.

My advise to her is " In as much as age is a number as they say, it still does matter too, I think the age difference is much but if you love him and think you don't have problem with that, but just give it a little time I will get back to you"

but in clarity I think for her to be concerned and ask my opinion about the age difference means its bordering her.

What do you think. would you advise she accept the proposal or not?
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Zzyco: 11:02am On Jan 14, 2016
But your cousin has to be realistic, the man in question is the sum of her age. This affected someone close to me also and it ended in regret.
The fact is that the child molester, Has deceived her. She will not get to discover until it is long gone. Research shows that women who are a year or two older than the man, relationships last longer than the versa. Threaten the guy with cut lass next time, hope it not you o??

3 Likes

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Dojupyo(f): 11:06am On Jan 14, 2016
Seriously, I can't marry one who is 18yrs older, 10yrs is the highest limit I can go for..
Well, its not bad if the both are ready for marriage... 18yrs

But, pls tell your cousin that there are lot of things to do now other than marriage.... She should fulfill her dreams while she's still young, cos she may not do that in a husband's house

2 Likes

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by thorpido(m): 11:12am On Jan 14, 2016
The question is why does she want to marry?To escape poverty?
Are your parents not capable of training your sisters till maturity or they need to marry them off to ease their responsibilities?
Your 18yr old sister should be in school or learning a trade and not be concerned about marriage now.

Men in their 70s can father a child so your elder sister not getting pregnant has nothing to do with age except he has low sper.m count.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by yinkus4u2c(f): 11:17am On Jan 14, 2016
The guy sef dey find young blood cry what does your cousin want for now? Is she ready for marriage? She needs to be sure of what she want... Shikena
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 14, 2016
Forget the fact that age is just numbers but 10-20yrs is way too much....

But why would a 36yrs guy wanna marry 18 yrs lady ?? Is he not too old for her

Can he allow his own sister to do that?
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Dyt(f): 11:22am On Jan 14, 2016
Love
She should calm down
Wait till she finishes uni and decides if she wanna go with him
I just hope she's not being naive

I like my men from 10yrs sha
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by NetBizguy: 11:26am On Jan 14, 2016
thorpido:
The question is why does she want to marry?To escape poverty?
Are your parents not capable of training your sisters till maturity or they need to marry them off to ease their responsibilities?
Your 18yr old sister should be in school or learning a trade and not be concerned about marriage now.

No bro money is not the problem am even the one taking care of her, I know her fear to even start sleeping over it could be of the said woman time do pass, actually I have seen a lot of good beautiful ladies, well behaved from their younger days now in their middle and late thirties still single, so I wouldn't have tried reasoning it much before telling her to go on if the age difference was between 8 and 10yrs and it won't stop her education.
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 14, 2016
Last year November is just 2 months by now . does the man not have any other ladies in his life he must have dated before he met your cousin.
He is much older... if she can ask the man to wait atleast for a year or two she might get to understand things better before marrying the man.

1 Like

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by thorpido(m): 11:44am On Jan 14, 2016
NetBizguy:

No bro money is not the problem am even the one taking care of her, I know her fear to even start sleeping over it could be of the said woman time do pass, actually I have seen a lot of good beautiful ladies, well behaved from their younger days now in their middle and late thirties still single, so I wouldn't have tried reasoning it much before telling her to go on if the age difference was between 8 and 10yrs and it won't stop her education.
The fear of not getting a man to marry is unfounded really.At 18yrs old,why is she bothered about that?Doesn't she have aspirations,graduating from a higher institution or building a business?
I8yrs difference will make it difficult to flow with your partner.I want to believe she doesn't just want a husband,she wants a friend,a companion and a lover.

1 Like

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by lilmax(m): 11:52am On Jan 14, 2016
Dyt:
Love
She should calm down
Wait till she finishes uni and decides if she wanna go with him
I just hope she's not being naive

I like my men from 10yrs sha
cheesy cheesy
love? undecided

The decision is now,whats the point of waiting and wasting his time then saying no when she comes out
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Jahblessme: 12:07pm On Jan 14, 2016
If the marriage is between a 28 year old and a 46 year old not 18 and 36 years,i'd be more comfortable as the level of maturity would be vastly different.
I definitely would not advise any 18 year old to run and marry especially with such an age gap.What does she know?The man is in a completely different level from her and i'm generally very skeptical of this sort of arrangement.Is it that he did not see anyone closer to his age or is he hunting for a naive person he can control and impose his ideas on?
If she insists,you wish her good luck..She may be happy,,she may gnash her teeth bin pain either ways she will carry her cross.
Anything above 10 years to me cries of looking for father figure..Is she from a loving home? Is she close to her dad? Is she missing the love of a father and trying to replace with the man?
She should focus on her education please and start forging a life for herself before taking this kind of decision.
Just my opinion,i could be wrong.
Good luck.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Dyt(f): 12:10pm On Jan 14, 2016
lilmax:
love? undecided

The decision is now,whats the point of waiting and wasting his time then saying no when she comes out

How you take know say nothing no go happen?
undecided undecided
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by NetBizguy: 12:20pm On Jan 14, 2016
Thanks guys I appreciate your valuable opinions. I can't really support any marriage with age difference above 10yrs. so later am gonna call and advise her plainly, the age difference is too much
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by lilmax(m): 12:29pm On Jan 14, 2016
Dyt:

How you take know say nothing no go happen?
undecided undecided
her eye never open,if she enter uni things go change
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Dyt(f): 12:32pm On Jan 14, 2016
lilmax:
her eye never open,if she enter uni things go change

Ehn na
That's when she will know if she really wanna do it
For now, whatever anyone says, she will ignore
So they should give her an option of finishing uni and then decide
Lobatan
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by byvan03: 12:34pm On Jan 14, 2016
Age isn't just a number, the older the man, the bigger his baggage. It's better to stick to ones generation in matters of the heart, these old folks can be quite out of tune.
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by MsGlobalwonder(f): 2:05pm On Jan 14, 2016
Cradle snatcher embarassed embarassed
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Vikky014(f): 3:24pm On Jan 14, 2016
it all depends if the person is young at heart....not someone dt wont consider ur opinion abt smething in the name of you are just a kid undecided
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by raumdeuter: 6:25pm On Jan 14, 2016
Just for emphasis, An 18yr old was born in 1997 or 1998

She should be focused on her education right now and not on marriage
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by tpiah2: 6:32pm On Jan 14, 2016
are you not supposed to advise your 18 year old cousin to go to school?
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by Miami11: 6:35pm On Jan 14, 2016
Enough with all this paedophiles

18 is too young to marry, she needs college training first
Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by diportivo: 8:26am On Jan 15, 2016
Isnt this thread about the age difference between the 2?

And some are all about dreams and aspirations and university and co.....as if they know what the lady's dreams are

What if her dream is to get married early?what if she wants to av children early and she doesn't want it to happen out of wedlock?and who says getting married at 18 will automatically means education cant be pursued any longer?

OP,d man is too old for her....the age difference is massive...if it were 10yrs,cld be understandable

4 Likes

Re: 18 Years Age Difference In Marriage. Man 36, Girl 18. What Do You Think? by RiloKiley: 9:30am On Jan 15, 2016
At 18 I doubt she knows what she really wants.
Anyway it happens. If they do get married the man will have to be patient with her on many grounds.

(1) (Reply)

16 Frighteningly Creepy Tins Kids Hv Said 2 Dia Babysitters (in Yankee O'course) / Can I Have Sex While Pregnant? / How Do You Know Your Husband Is Not Cheating On You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.