Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,263 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All (654 Views)

I Know What I’m Doing, Buhari Tells Critic, Dele Momodu / What A Gentleman! GEJ Shakes Hands As Car Glide To Take Him Back To Otuoke / The Time Magazine On Ojukwu:the Gentleman Rebel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by KnowAll(m): 9:04am On Jun 20, 2009
Politics is not for the faint hearted, it is for that swash buckling, no holds bar, and no nonsense individual. They are prepared to betray their wife’s and let their mums go to the gallows for their own selfish interest and agenda. It is quite interesting when I read somewhere sometime this week that the previous Governor of the CBN is considering throwing his hat in the ring for the gubernatorial race in Anambra state.  Well I don’t know Mr. Soludo personally, but he looks like a gentleman to me, and politics in Nigeria and in general is not for gentlemen. Politcs in Nigeria is for men whose hands have not only been stained by blood but has been soiled by it. This brings me to theme of my thread.

Yaradua was a gentleman when he took the job, but over the last 2 years he has come to realise that this job comes with a win-win mantra. A no- win situation will not only make you look like a lesser being but it could easily even amongst your ranks lead to dissenting and if care is not taking a palace coup will be inevitable. A leader must be seen to have balls and I think Yardua’s already getting the drift now, he has made some errors which with a bit of tact and fair horse trading he should be able to redeem himself. OBJ was a man that has honed his skill in the ugly, muddy waters , of Nigerian political swash buckling.

OBJ knew who he wanted to succeed him, but there was a problem the post of the VP. It was a well known fact that the post of VP will be going to South-South geopolitical zone. The likely candidates were James Ibori, Peter Odili,  and Donald Duke these 3 were very strong opinionated individuals. Peter Odili had gotten his hands soiled deeply in one financial scandal or the other albeit no proof but to pick him as a VP candidate would amount to nothing but political hara-kiri.

Duke is the most opinionated amongst the 3 and will rather be his own man; choosing Duke will be a sequel to the OBJ/Atiku and no president in their right mind will be happy and willing to condone such a situation. It will be a recipee for disaster.

And that brings us to James Ibori. The first thing you ask yourself is who is this guy, well the president and his advisers knew he was from the oil rich state of Delta and as revealed recently in some press cuttings that he was instrumental in paying yardua’s registration fee to enter the race of the presidency, he was also supposed to have sponsored Yaradua’s presidential campaign. So why did the president not choose him. Ibori is a politician’s- politician you know within you, this guy can’t be that straight forward but there is nothing to suggest otherwise. He had within the 8 years he was Governor in Delta state transformed Warri and even built a dual carriage road connecting the state capital Asaba to Warri. During his tenure in Delta state the activities of the militant where at there barest minimum when  compared with Rivers and Bayelsa state.

I now come to ask myself what was Ibori doing that Odili and Goodluck were not doing, basically Ibori was playing politics and since his a master in this act in the same  mould as OBJ there is bound to be progress.  Saddam Hussaien’s contorted face comes to mind when he was caught in that hole after a $25million bounty has been paid to someone. With James Ibori what you get is a politician who will be able to manoeuvre his way within the murky and oily creeks of the Niger delta to the benefit of all.

Conclusion –  I think the president made a mistake by choosing Goodluck as VP, Goodluck cannot even protect his own home in Bayelsa state which was fire bombed a few years ago how much more the whole country. The presidency as come to realise they need an enforcer, a Regimental sergeant Major, who can do the president’s bid and any other covert operation. This does not come without a price,  Ibori’s reward will be the top job come 2015.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by TonyTone1: 2:56pm On Jun 20, 2009
What are u saying did yaradua choose Goodluck ?? The GF himself choose the duo so no blame for BABA GO SLOW on this at alllll!!!!!1
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by KnowAll(m): 4:35pm On Jun 20, 2009

Yaradua chose Goodluck, go and read el-rufai's memoirs, Ibori was the person OBJ wanted to be VP, but Yaradua knew Ibori might be too big a character for him to just push aside so he went for Goodluck. Goodluck was not amongst the people pencilled for the job.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by IKEYMAN1: 4:42pm On Jun 20, 2009
useless thread!!

funi when people keep sayin yarafool is a gentin wetin

how do u know that

from the newspaper abi

abeg stop all these yeye thread
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by KnowAll(m): 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2009
useless thread!!

how do u know that

from the newspaper abi

abeg stop all these yeye thread

The problem with people like you is you go to Nigeria newspaper web sites cut and paste a breaking story and expect people to make comments. I write on political events as it unfolds before your very eyes. The only reason Yardua chose Goodluck was because he is from the heart of delta region. The ground zero of militancy activities, even a blind man can see it was a wrong choice and a huge mis-calculation which can be rectified come 2011. You cannot lay all blame on yardua it takes two to tango. He has sorted out his economic team by choosing guys from Kano /Katsina, Goodluck was suppose to sort out the militancy problem he inherited but has failed miserably. If he sticks with Goodluck come 2011 he will be a sitting duck. This thread will give the political elites something to think about than threads that are basically reporting the headlines of our newspapers.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by KnowAll(m): 5:21pm On Jun 20, 2009

Even a blind man can see that Yardua is a gentleman. You will need to go and read El-Rufai's memoirs to convince yourself. The older yardua Shehu was the extrovert but Umaru Yardua has alway been introvert and most introverts are shy, calculative and calm. It will be highly inconceivable to associate most if not all introverts with an un-gentlemanly mannerism and conduct.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by IKEYMAN1: 9:30pm On Jun 20, 2009
yeaaaaaaaaa

like the america serial killers ?? ehuhh

mennhhhh people people people
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by KnowAll(m): 9:59pm On Jun 20, 2009
yeaaaaaaaaa

like the america serial killers ?? ehuhh

mennhhhh people people people

We are talking of politicians that are introvert and not the general public, and I can confidently say the world has not had a serial killer political leader. The thing is your missing the point of this thread. Yaradua started as a gentleman with the rule of law been the cornestone of his belief. Of course with time he came to realise that the rule of law cannot be allowed to reign supreme after the loss of Edo state , then Ondo state,  he had to act fast and be decisive as with the case of Ekiti. If the aformentioned trend was allowed to continue  PDP will find themselves confined to the north west corner of Nigeria  and it will mean the 8 years of OBJ's wheeling and dealing has been destroyed a destruction that might even consume yarardua himself.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by maxsiollun: 11:13am On Jun 21, 2009
But Ibori had corruption scandals swirling around him too, and he was under investigation by the EFCC.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by KnowAll(m): 3:27pm On Jun 21, 2009
Tell me one Governor who is not corrupt out of the 36 Governors including the president himself was in Ribadu's book of people that will be investigated. What I am saying is Ibori is a smooth operator that is the kind of person yardua needs to sort out the Naija delta problem. I think I read somewhere that Ibori's file cannot be found by EFCC.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by IKEYMAN1: 5:40pm On Jun 21, 2009
like i said, this thread is useless, u soon realise that
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by KnowAll(m): 5:52pm On Jun 21, 2009
like i said, this thread is useless, u soon realise that

The thread is useless becos u are not intelligent enough to grasp the dynamics of Nigeria politics,  so den force u to make comment I beg shut up !!" You dont see me commenting on every thread.
Re: I Know Be Gentleman, I Know Be Gentleman At All, At All by IKEYMAN1: 9:03pm On Jun 21, 2009
intelligent haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

people like u makes me laugh

the same people will probably tell u that ribadu,iwela,solodu, etc can be a president cuz they dnt have the experince right

hmmm picture the so called ghana must go experinced politicians like obj, and family shocked, now the dynamics wetin hahhhh, plz stop creatin nonesense thread along the line plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

just like when obama was gunin for top job, yes they did repeat the same shit, neglecting the fact that the experinced bushman mess US up big time

so what is it gona be this time?

(1) (Reply)

Abuja Was Better Off With El Rufai , Now We Have A Lame Duck For A Minister / Yaradua Is Bias And Not In Control-northerner Says / We Can’t Have Flawless Elections; Electoral Umpire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.