Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,503 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Blogger's Rules We Will Never Obey Before We Make It-upcoming Prof. Bloggers - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Blogger's Rules We Will Never Obey Before We Make It-upcoming Prof. Bloggers (471 Views)

You’ll Be Fired If You Don’t Obey – Pope Warns Nigerian Priests / 10 Rules We Observed As Kids / Obey These 10 Rules Of Money And Become Rich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Blogger's Rules We Will Never Obey Before We Make It-upcoming Prof. Bloggers by haconjy(m): 10:02pm On Jan 14, 2016
How i wish the modulators can help us in taking this thread to front page to help we upcoming professional bloggers, but still we are believers
Hello darlings.

Some of us started blog some years back believing that we will one day make it but still we are still waiting for google AdSense which keeps on turning us down...

So when I come across so many opinion online on how to blog to get rich discover that much is expect is expected after trying all my best to get ahead...

Well I have decided that if blogger will turn me down then I will take blogging as my hobby on which I believe I did. So now I don't care anymore either blogger will grant me google AdSense or not but I keep on doing all that I want hoping that one day I will get there.

A while back I wrote a post about my new blogging rules. And today I’m going to tell you about some blogging rules I won’t obey. 

If you hang around in the same Facebook groups as me, or have ever browsed Pinterest for blogging tips you have probably read these so-called rules at least once. Often they are preceded by the words “To have a successful blog you have to”. Well I don’t know how they define success, but for me knowing that the amount of people reading my blog is slowly increasing is more than enough. And that is happening even though I won’t obey these blogging “rules”.

Blogging Rules I Won’t Obey

Position yourself as an expert.
This is the rule that I have the absolute hardest to grasp. I can understand that this might be a good idea if you have a blog about marketing or even clean eating. But when it comes to lifestyle blogs or fashion blogs I don’t even understand how to do it, and even less why.
I mean I want my readers (that means you lovely ones) to be able to relate to me. I want them to come back because the feel some kind of connection to me. Not because the see me as an expert in some way. Besides the only thing I can say that I really excel in are eating stuff and spending money. But if you want I can probably teach you how to do that.

Fake it till you make it.
I think that writing your posts as if someone is reading them even when it feels like no one is are a good thing. But other than that I’m not that fond of the whole ‘fake it till you make it’ mentality. And that goes both for the amount of followers a blogger have as well as their blog posts. I think that if you’re blog is good enough and you put your stuff out there the readers and followers will come in time. So I won’t do any kind of follow for follow just so it can look like I have more readers than I have. And I will most certainty not go out and buy a lipstick with my last money to make it look like I have more money than I have.
So I won’t fake it till I make it, and if I ever make it won’t be because I ever faked being someone who I’m not.

You need to have a niche.
I tried to niche down once since I was told it would make it easier to come up with things to write about if I did. It lasted for a week.
Right now I write pretty much whatever I can think of. But my goal is to have a main focus on fashion/personal style mixed up with some makeup and mental health posts, and maybe even some more posts about blogging. Not really a niche of any kind but I still hope it works well for me...

20 THOUGHTS ON “BLOGGING RULES I WON’T OBEY”

Food for thought.

As you have rightly stated, there are many rules surrounding blogging. Everyone offers advice from their perspective which can leave you feeling pulled here, there and everywhere.

I do not have hundreds of followers and I have been blogging for over a year. I am sometimes in awe at how successful/popular some bloggers are. I still feel fairly invisible.

However, I love to write and will continue to do so – in a way that expresses me making my blog authentic.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you. I’m also into blogging because I love to write. It’s great to see that there are more of us./love Ida

I like this idea. There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to being a successful blogger, and at the end of the day it’s more important to have fun with it than fixate on becoming popular.

Lisa x
http://farawaylisamae.com

Important to tell yourself these things, sometimes the ‘rules’ are so limiting and it makes it so hard to post good content and make it exciting, rules are made to be broken so just do your own thing!

Dana || fashion-dew..com

I had forgot about the ‘rules are made to be broken’ thing. Thanks for the reminder.

Brave, tongue-in-cheek blogpost. You just remind us once that rules can be tedious. So we should not hesitate to break them. And have fun while breaking the rules! Thanks.

Loved this, Ida! I actually have a similar post sitting in my drafts at the moment. I find the blogging world a bit crazy sometimes. Who made these ‘rules’ anyway?! The whole point of blogs in the first place was to have a little bit of the internet to call your own, and express yourself however you want to....

These invisible rules are so silly and are what breeds insecurity! It’s hard when you’re starting off not to feel like the ‘odd one out’ or silly about your writing but thankfully the Twitter blogger community is largely super supportive!x

oneandthesame.co.uk

This is the exact reason why I restarted my blog! I felt like I was trying to portray only part of myself in order to attract a specific type of reader and the rest of my personality was falling through the cracks.

After awhile, my old blog became stale and I lost all inspiration. I threw caution to the wind and began anew – and have no regrets so far!

Beth at thenerdwifeslife.

Love this, for the honest no-BS approach to the subject. And I definitely am on your side of these ‘rules’.
It always baffled me why people fake a life for the web, isn’t it, after all, their life? I don’t even want to consider ‘faking’ my life, because after 10 years I would look around and realize that literally nothing is ‘mine’…it’s a scary thought that keeps me writing solely about what I really, truly, am and love.

And if you are a blogger like me, and you believe on what I said, kindly share your blogger here let fellows access it and be able to to corrects the errors there and hoping for good things in futures...and don't be discouraged by all comments here...just believe

Here is mine,,,

www.themafrica..com

www.haconjy..com

(1) (Reply)

Let's Reason Pt1 / Who In God's Name In ''nairaland Hacker''..? / Photo – Proud Corper Shows Off His Mum Who Sells Fish In The Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.