Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Yoruba Ajami Script - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Ajami Script (3451 Views)

Examples Of Hausa Ajami Script (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Ajami Script by Demmzy15(m): 5:05pm On Jan 17, 2016
I've heard this many times but unsure, I'll appreciate if anyone could present some of this alphabets of old Yoruba writings. I've searched but I can't find any.

Healthy discussions would about this topic is welcome, let's all learn!
Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
demmzy have you seen the warash Quran?
Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Demmzy15(m): 11:23am On Jan 18, 2016
lexiconkabir:
demmzy have you seen the warash Quran?
How's it?!
Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 18, 2016
Demmzy15:
How's it?!
just arabic, and the font is slightly different from the normal arabic alphabets you know i.e. hafs style. Now ajami uses arabic alphabets to write yoruba and hausa, for example instead of writing ''oluwa'' you write wa dumma joint with lam dumma then joint with wa fatha. hope you get it?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Demmzy15(m): 7:51pm On Jan 18, 2016
lexiconkabir:
just arabic, and the font is slightly from the normal Quran you know i.e. hafs. now ajami uses arabic alphabets to write yoruba, for example instead of writing ''abami'' you write alif fatha joint with ba fatha then joint with mim kasra. hope you get it?
But there are some Yoruba words which can't be written in Arabic. In Persian for instance, they have the pronunciation "p" but they deviced a means for identification since "p" is not in Arabic I heard Yorubas had something like this, don't know maybe it's extinct?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by absoluteSuccess: 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2016
Hm, Ajami,

Sure it was the way Yoruba logography would have evolved. I haven't seen one though.

But I think metaphysical might have an idea.

It used to be the Arabic way of writing in Yoruba before the colonial epoch.

Dr. Robin Law glossed about a correspondence addressed to

'the learned men of Yoruba' from katsina or so in the 18th century.

This was probably translated from Arabic and it has to do with Islamic sunah.

It's clear that the correspondents both understood Arabic.

Albeit, the main script of the said title (cited as the media) did not survive.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 18, 2016
Demmzy15:
But there are some Yoruba words which can't be written in Arabic. In Persian for instance, they have the pronunciation "p" but they deviced a means for identification since "p" is not in Arabic I heard Yorubas had something like this, don't know maybe it's extinct?
Thats why i asked if you are familiar with Warash Quran, it is common among northerners especially fulanis, the qa-un is written as the fa-un we are used to and the ba-un is written as exactly as the letter you just typed having 3dots beneath it. since you are in abuja, ask anyone there about warash quran, and see these letters yourself.
Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Demmzy15(m): 5:46am On Jan 19, 2016
lexiconkabir:
Thats why i asked if you are familiar with Warash Quran, it is common among northerners especially fulanis, the qa-un is written as the fa-un we are used to and the ba-un is written as exactly as the letter you just typed having 3dots beneath it. since you are in abuja, ask anyone there about warash quran, and see these letters yourself.
Alright, thanks bro, jazaka Allaah kayran
Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Nobody: 5:47am On Jan 19, 2016
http://aflang.humnet.ucla.edu/Hausa/Pronunciation/writing.html#anchor1270685 go to that webpage, its about hausa ajami, but its the same thing with that of the yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 19, 2016
lexiconkabir:
http://aflang.humnet.ucla.edu/Hausa/Pronunciation/writing.html#anchor1270685 go to that webpage, its about hausa ajami, but its the same thing with that of the yorubas.

Thank you for this.
Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 19, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Thank you for this.
my pleasure!

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by Dsimmer: 2:07pm On Feb 04
Good the Yoruba didn't tow that horrible line when Mali brought the ajami to Yoruba land. Lol. One of the things which destroyed the North African, especially the Egyptian who replaced their wonderful old creativity. The Egyptians replaced their creativity with kewu ajami recitation and writing before the Arabs eventually wiped them out. This kewu ajami was what they called educating. Lol.

Yoruba learning and creativity is quite much better.

And what the Arabs did in North Africans is so annoying till now.
Re: Yoruba Ajami Script by BabaRamota1980: 6:49pm On Feb 06
اقو ارو

Aku Aro

شب ذاذ

Se dada

An Arab knows the letters but has no clue what I wrote. A Yoruba with knowledge of Ajami will know.

(1) (Reply)

Where Does The Surname Jatto Come From? / See The Look On Ooni Of Ife's Wife Face As Dangote Greets Ooni At OBJ's Birthday / The Great War Of The 15th Century

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.