Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,784 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Onne Sea Port - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onne Sea Port (16384 Views)

FG Declares Support For Akwa-Ibom Sea Port Project / Onne Sea Port: Federal Bridge Linking Akpajo Road Collapses In Rivers State / Ibom Deep Sea Port: Udom Emmanuel To Sign Deal With China (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 4:59pm On Jan 20, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
you have spoken well but the eastern enclaves as a whole is more closer to north central state,(middle belt) and also north east, lagos and western enclaves.
Come to onitsha and see men from kaduna,jos,benue,ondo and kano state, coming to onitsha main market to buy their goods.
I know lagos too well, from lagos to abuja/benue state is too far. Nothing more central in lagos bro. Lagos is at the extreme end of nigeria.
Pls lagos is not a central state at all. I believe you said so cos you re not a traveller like me.
Only igbos can tell you how nigeria look like. We re just like a sand in every part of nigeria.

I guess the facility involves in lagos seaports draw customers to them. We need such facility in onne seaport.
I believe only time will tell.

True I've not lives in Nigeria the last 15 years, I've been there all of 27 days in that time.

But when I said central I meant the access to facilities and vibrant markets.

1 Like

Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 5:03pm On Jan 20, 2016
RealityShot:

Yes great speech! Applaudusé!

Now.. Sir,

Do you think that this "insecurity" in the ss would have started
If the youths were employed?

Open any job listing and see that 90% of advertised jobs are in Lagos. Why?

Oil companies operate in ss, flunt their huge cash everywhere,
Employ the barest minimum and pay them peanuts compared to the work they do.

Both the employed and unemployed in ss are not happy (mostly).

So in your opinion,
Is this "insecurity" you keep pointing out an inbuilt culture in ss people?

Am sure u know the solution already ... Let's hear yours

I don't remember the SS having a higher level of unemployment, there is no security in Nigeria period and this issue of employment is bedevilling all of Nigeria, but there is a peculiar desire of youths from that region to become a menace to their society and outdo other youths in the country, maybe they are competing with BH I don't know.

Unemployment is not a good enough reason to be involved in violent crime

1 Like

Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 4:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
sweetgala:

I don't remember the SS having a higher level of unemployment, there is no security in Nigeria period and this issue of employment is bedevilling all of Nigeria, but there is a peculiar desire of youths from that region to become a menace to their society and outdo other youths in the country, maybe they are competing with BH I don't know.

Unemployment is not a good enough reason to be involved in violent crime

Hmm..
No.. I didn't say just unemployment.

There is the unprecedented flaunting of affluence by oil workers
That is breeding jealousy in unoccupied minds.

There is the constant rejection at National appointments
(don't want to name any specific body - u know y)

There is the most important of all.. . POLITICAL ARMARMENT
.... After elections.. Youths that have worked for "them politicians"
Who were armed, don't get disarmed.
Soon they find other uses for such arms.
And there are loads of low hanging fruits in ss/se.
(expatriates everywhere - oppressing)

The matter is one that needs government intervention.

Like a man I know always says: "WHAT THE EYES DON'T SEE IT HARDLY STEALS"
Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 5:39pm On Jan 22, 2016
RealityShot:

Hmm..
No.. I didn't say just unemployment.

There is the unprecedented flaunting of affluence by oil workers
That is breeding jealousy in unoccupied minds.

There is the constant rejection at National appointments
(don't want to name any specific body - u know y)

There is the most important of all.. . POLITICAL ARMARMENT
.... After elections.. Youths that have worked for "them politicians"
Who were armed, don't get disarmed.
Soon they find other uses for such arms.
And there are loads of low hanging fruits in ss/se.
(expatriates everywhere - oppressing)

The matter is one that needs government intervention.

Like a man I know always says: "WHAT THE EYES DON'T SEE IT HARDLY STEALS"

Let me dissect your argument

Jealousy, if you're ever in Lagos you'll understand the gulf that exist between the poor and the rich, using your excuse every man from Ajegunle, Makoko and Bariga should be a thief and involved in dodgy activities. Comparative poverty is not a good enough excuse for crime.

Please stop perpetuating this falsehood, in the last 16 years of PDP every part if Nigeria has had enough representation band some have had more than can be called equal. Notably NC and SE .APC has won FG election after many years of fighting for it, Buhari has people he trusts who have come up and worked hard with him he has chosen to reward this gentlemen in his capacity as president , he has fulfilled his constitutional obligation to have 36 ministers from across Nigeria.

I do no begrudge his choice , as I don't expect him to sacrifice his allies and trusted confidants to satisfy the people who didn't wnat him to win to start with

Im sure the people who equipped those youths with dangerous weapons are also the politicians and leaders from that same society, they are therefore to blame, You can not heap the guilt of the actions taken by individuals in your community on others outside it.

2 Likes

Re: Onne Sea Port by Tequilah: 2:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
Living4christ:
For your mind u ask better tin? I no set make them carry gun fight, I say an Govt make them carry gun fight! Y should ask what MEND is fighting for so that u will undersand

See this one? shocked Which kind thing you dey yarn for here?? Were you not the same one defending their lawlessness a short while ago chanting : " ..If the sw pass through have of wat SS pass through u guys will pick arms, have u visited the place that feed u? when u visit the villages that gives naija oil, and see the underdevelopment u will understand....I will advice you to put ur leg inside there shoe to understand." Were you not offering tacit support for their armed brigandage through your words?

In fact you even went further to take sides with them by claiming that: "When injustice become a law, opposition becomes a duty!" Now you are turning round here to yarn rubbish.
Living4christ:
Go and listen to Mr. common sense to get sense.

When injustice become a law, opposition becomes a duty.

Abeg, swerve and hug the nearest transformer. angry
Re: Onne Sea Port by Living4christ(m): 2:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Tequilah:

See this one? shocked Which kind thing you dey yarn for here?? Were you not the same one defending their lawlessness a short while ago chanting : " ..If the sw pass through have of wat SS pass through u guys will pick arms, have u visited the place that feed u? when u visit the villages that gives naija oil, and see the underdevelopment u will understand....I will advice you to put ur leg inside there shoe to understand." Were you not offering tacit support for their armed brigandage through your words?

In fact you even went further to take sides with them by claiming that: "When injustice become a law, opposition becomes a duty!" Now you are turning round here to yarn rubbish.

Abeg, swerve and hug the nearest transformer. angry

before u quote understand. What I said was not a supportive statement but a definition of reflex action in terms of injustice. when in justice becomes a law, of course opposition will automatically becomes a duty.
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 8:54pm On Jan 24, 2016
sweetgala:

Let me dissect your argument

Jealousy, of your ever been to Lagos you'll understand the gulf that exist between the poor and the rich and poor, using your excuse every man from Ajegunle, Makoko and Bariga should be a thief and involved in dodgy activities. Comparative poverty is not a good enough excuse for crime.

Please stop perpetuating thisfalsehood, in the last 16 years of PDP every part if Nigeria has had enough representation band some have had more than can be called equal. Notably NC and SE .APC has won FG election after many years of fighting for it, Buhari has people he trusts who have come up and worked hard with him he has chosen to reward this gentlemen in his capacity as president , he has fulfilled his constitutional obligation to have 36 ministers from across Nigeria.

I do no begrudge his choice , as I don't expect him to sacrifice his allies and trusted confidants to satisfy the people who didn't wnat him to win to start with

Im sure the people who equipped those youths with dangerous weapons are also the politicians and leaders from that same society, they are therefore to blame, You can not heap the guilt of the actions taken by individuals in your community on others outside it.

There is no oil or raw materials being mined by the rich in lagos is there?

The "poor" people you speak of, are there having the gold in the lands
mined without getting a fair share of the bounty?

About the BUHARI part.. . Out of point!

Yes.. The politicians I spoke about, who armed the youths,
Are from the region...
But isn't it the federal government that will make laws upon which they can be stopped?

Stop writing like the president can't change anything he wants and
Fix the problem of wasting resources used to build the sea port.

We are talking about billions of naira invested at onne sea port
Which isn't yelling any nationally recognized benefits.

Stay on point sir.
Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 12:34am On Jan 25, 2016
RealityShot:

There is no oil or raw materials being mined by the rich in lagos is there?

The "poor" people you speak of, are there having the gold in the lands
mined without getting a fair share of the bounty?

About the BUHARI part.. . Out of point!

Yes.. The politicians I spoke about, who armed the youths,
Are from the region...
But isn't it the federal government that will make laws upon which they can be stopped?

Stop writing like the president can't change anything he wants and
Fix the problem of wasting resources used to build the sea port.

We are talking about billions of naira invested at onne sea port
Which isn't yelling any nationally recognized benefits.

Stay on point sir.

The president is keen to solve the problem of insecurity, I however doubt the main stakeholders the people sincerely want that problem solved. Many people have taken stake with the militants against the FG to spite what they perceive the expulsion of their kinsman by the current APC government, why else has militancy returned in recent months even with increased government effort and continuation of the amnesty deal

Lagos has it's problems but by far it's SG and people are in agreement of it's source and what needs to be done to fix it, even when the people have to pay a price for that change to happen
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 5:38pm On Nov 20, 2016
sweetgala:

The president is keen to solve the problem of insecurity, I however doubt the main stakeholders the people sincerely want that problem solved. Many people have taken stake with the militants against the FG to spite what they perceive the expulsion of their kinsman by the current APC government, why else has militancy returned in recent months even with increased government effort and continuation of the amnesty deal

Lagos has it's problems but by far it's SG and people are in agreement of it's source and what needs to be done to fix it, even when the people have to pay a price for that change to happen
lagos people always siding with the goverment on oil, ports and resource allocation matters..

please can you all imagine if government took all the ports and other revenues from your state and put it in fegeral coffers.. Then give you 13% derivation only..

will you have the level of development you have today?

will you all be happy with that?
Re: Onne Sea Port by omohayek: 6:19pm On Nov 20, 2016
RealityShot:

lagos people always siding with the goverment on oil, ports and resource allocation matters..

please can you all imagine if government took all the ports and other revenues from your state and put it in fegeral coffers.. Then give you 13% derivation only..

Um, you do realize that this is how things work right now, don't you? Why do you think Lagos gets such large federal allocations despite its small physical size?
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2016
omohayek:

Um, you do realize that this is how things work right now, don't you? Why do you think Lagos gets such large federal allocations despite its small physical size?
tell me, y is lagos allocation large?
Re: Onne Sea Port by omohayek: 9:19pm On Nov 20, 2016
RealityShot:

tell me, y is lagos allocation large?

Because it's the source of most of Nigeria's VAT, business taxes and import revenues. If Lagos got to keep most of that money - rather than just 13%, it would probably have more revenue than the entire northern states combined.
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 9:43pm On Nov 20, 2016
omohayek:

Because it's the source of most of Nigeria's VAT, business taxes and import revenues. If Lagos got to keep most of that money - rather than just 13%, it would probably have more revenue than the entire northern states combined.
hmm... Now you are talking..
imagine what rivers state will be like
if onne sea port were working like
lagos sea port...

onne sea port is wasting or economy is recessing..all attributed to bad management by govt!
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 9:48pm On Nov 20, 2016
!!!
Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 12:40am On Nov 21, 2016
RealityShot:

The second paragraph is exactly what goes on in Lagos the only difference being Lagos does not get a special dereivation not even 1% from port authority

FG control and earn all the levies made by the port
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 1:50am On Nov 21, 2016
sweetgala:

The second paragraph is exactly what goes on in Lagos the only difference being Lagos does not get a special dereivation not even 1% from port authority

FG control and earn all the levies made by the port
lol..so no single charges on all the hundreds of truck drivers and owners by the state or its citizens?

what about all the jobs created directly and indirectly by the port activities?

dont you think Rivers is missing all that?

do you know that all truck tyres used in south south are bought directly from lagos?

do you know that every week 4 trucks of sound proof generators come to rivers from lagos for only mikano company?

do you know that all big and medium oil companies in PH now have offices in lagos? Why do you think that is so?

do you know how many jobs that creates plus tax income to lagos?

all that could have come through onne sea port... So much losses
Re: Onne Sea Port by ayokellany: 3:41am On Nov 21, 2016
RealityShot:

lol..so no single charges on all the hundreds of truck drivers and owners by the state or its citizens?

do you know that all truck tyres used in south south are bought directly from lagos?

do you know that every week 4 trucks of sound proof generators come to rivers from lagos for only mikano company?

do you know that all big and medium oil companies in PH now have offices in lagos? Why do you think that is so?

Read tru what have been discused your answers are there.
Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 5:19am On Nov 21, 2016
RealityShot:

Okay let's say Lagos benefits from PAYE which is a small portion of the take , some corporation tax from logistics companies etc. Every body knows Lagos was the first and apart from Edo is the only state with a well designed tax code.

Many companies relocated to Lagos because it was the smart thing to do, metropolitan city, [/b] safe [b] acess to an international airport etc Lagos is exploiting what it has as an advantage what did PH people do when an opportunity was presented them. They kidnapped every oil worker and light skinned person in sight. Ships were pirated etc. Your society must be safe as a precursor for normal business activity
Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 5:25am On Nov 21, 2016
RealityShot:

Okay let's say Lagos benefits from PAYE which is a small portion of the take , some corporation tax from logistics companies etc. Every body knows Lagos was the first and apart from Edo is the only state with a well designed tax code.

Many companies relocated to Lagos because it was the smart thing to do, metropolitan city, safe acess to an international airport etc Lagos is exploiting what it has as an advantage what did PH people do when an opportunity was presented them. They kidnapped every oil worker and light skinned person in sight. Ships were pirated etc. Your society must be safe as a precursor for normal business activity
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 9:55am On Nov 21, 2016
ayokellany:

Read tru what have been discused your answers are there.
lol..i have been here from the beginning
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 10:01am On Nov 21, 2016
sweetgala:

Many companies relocated to Lagos because it was the smart thing to do, metropolitan city, [/b] safe [b] acess to an international airport etc Lagos is exploiting what it has as an advantage what did PH people do when an opportunity was presented them. They kidnapped every oil worker and light skinned person in sight. Ships were pirated etc. Your society must be safe as a precursor for normal business activity
all because of the lack of jobs.
govt can fix all that if they want.

the people kidnapping are jobless and furious at the indiferrence of these companies and govt to their plight.

jobs can only be created with investment in industry.

no port.. no private companies..
example: dangote flour mill is sited in lagos
Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 10:40am On Nov 21, 2016
RealityShot:

all because of the lack of jobs.
govt can fix all that if they want.

the people kidnapping are jobless and furious at the indiferrence of these companies and govt to their plight.

jobs can only be created with investment in industry.

no port.. no private companies..
example: dangote flour mill is sited in lagos

Stop it right now , it is common knowledge to any economist or social scientists that it not the job of government to create jobs. Nigerian governments are the biggest employer of labour and that is a source of problems for us.

Government need to create an environment where business can thrive and thus jobs get created.

As Nigerians it's time we looked outside the box, FG need to invest in universities and technical institutes where young people can develop ideas that we can sell to the world. That is what is growing the Indian economy
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 12:15pm On Nov 21, 2016
sweetgala:

Stop it right now , it is common knowledge to any economist or social scientists that it not the job of government to create jobs. Nigerian governments are the biggest employer of labour and that is a source of problems for us.

Government need to create an environment where business can thrive and thus jobs get created.

are they doing that in the niger delta?
how can govt allow one man to own all the land around the onne sea port..and he is leasing or renting to all companies at the highest possible price
is that environment condusive for other companies to use the port?

As Nigerians it's time we looked outside the box, we need to invest in universities and technical institutes where young people can develop ideas that we can sell to the world. That is what is growing the Indian economy
hmmm... In a country loans are impossble, costly electricity, office space is very expensive! To say a few
Re: Onne Sea Port by sweetgala(m): 4:55pm On Nov 21, 2016
RealityShot:

are they doing that in the niger delta?
how can govt allow one man to own all the land around the onne sea port..and he is leasing or renting to all companies at the highest possible price
is that environment condusive for other companies to use the port?

hmmm... In a country loans are impossble, costly electricity, office space is very expensive! To say a few

That is crude business but it is allowed as long as he does not break any laws while doing so
Re: Onne Sea Port by oyatz(m): 6:27pm On Dec 07, 2016
Please stop misinforming people with your write up.
The UNN act was passed into law by the Eastern REGIONAL house of assembly in 1955 but the university was opened in 1960. It was built by the Eastern regional and NOT federal government.
the Ahmadu Bello University was established in 1962 as UNIVERSITY OF NORTHERN NIGERIA by the Northern regional Government under the leadership of Sir Ahmadu Bello as the REGIONAL PREMIER.
The Federal capital was moved from Lagos to Abuja in 1976 by the Muritalar Muhammed Military regime with the plan to build a Federal capita capital city (that will be fairly equidistant from all four corners of Nigeria and not 'own' by any of the three major Tribes) within 15years.
According to this plan, IBB completed the project and finally moved the seat of Government to Abuja in 1991.
Herald47:
this is one of the reasons some people called jonathan a clueless man.
When nnamdi azikiwe was there he brought UNN.

When tafawa balewa was there he brought ahmadu bello university.

When shagari was there he initiated plans to move the f.c.t from lagos to abuja.

When maj.Gen.buhari was there he built kaduna refinery.

When IBB was there he moved the capital from lagos to abuja.

When abacha was there he over looted.

When gej was there he....?
Re: Onne Sea Port by DerideGull(m): 6:47pm On Dec 07, 2016
asha80:
my question is this.was this so in the 60s? Yes most of trade in Nigeria is focused towards Lagos but has it been always so?people are complaining Lagos is conjested(with dangote refinery and lekki port coming up it would only get worse) but have fg sat down to see how it can lift the burden of the country put on Lagos?

It was not so in 60s because SCOA and RT Briscoe had showrooms in Aba and import of the cars through Port Harcourt wharf. Port Harcourt wharf was very busy and competed adequately with Lagos Wharf in 60s. All the known importers in Aba imported through Port Harcourt wharf. However status of the Port Harcourt wharf changed after Nigeria/Biafra civil war.
Re: Onne Sea Port by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2017
Herald47:
this is one of the reasons some people called jonathan a clueless man.
When nnamdi azikiwe was there he brought UNN.

When tafawa balewa was there he brought ahmadu bello university.

When shagari was there he initiated plans to move the f.c.t from lagos to abuja.

When maj.Gen.buhari was there he built kaduna refinery.

When IBB was there he moved the capital from lagos to abuja.

When abacha was there he over looted.

When gej was there he....?

GEJ was the president of nigeria, Not the supreme leader of Otueke.

1 Like

Re: Onne Sea Port by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 14, 2017
obailala:
When gej was there he put the blame on APC for frustrating all his efforts to make Nigeria a better place. grin

On a serious note, this seaport issue is something which has defied any logical explanation except for the uselessness of successive Nigerian governments. The convenient excuse that has always been given is that the PH and other eastern axis seaports are shallow water and can't hold large vessels; another excuse has been security. Some theorists have claimed that the west and north are deliberately sabotaging the eastern axis seaports so they can claim all the revenue in the western ports. The big question I usually ask in all these is what southern and eastern leaders have been doing all these years in Abuja regarding issues like this.

Hopefully Amaechi does something about this.

If u don't like a government,
don't complain online,
join politics,
rise thru the ranks,
wen u get to the top,
U change that government.

Stop assuming others will do it for u.

1 Like

Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 1:21pm On Sep 15, 2017
PrecisionFx:

If u don't like a government, don't complain online, join politics, rise thru the ranks, wen u get to the top, U change that government.

Stop assuming others will do it.
Exactly..
am joining a party come january

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onne Sea Port by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 15, 2017
RealityShot:
Exactly..
am joining a party come january

ya, me too. before december

1 Like

Re: Onne Sea Port by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 07, 2018
RealityShot:
Why is the onne sea port not clearing containers?
Why is it not helping to deliver imported petrol?

Why did Nigeria spend so much to build sea port
99% of goods are still imported through the older sea port in lagos?

Onne unlike lagos is a very free place..
Trucks can park and load whatever without encroaching into port Harcourt city I unlike lagos.

So y not use that port?

Why pay shipping companies demurrage daily to wait till they get discharged/offloaded at lagos port?

Is it politics again?

Nigeria should learn effective and efficient ways of living...

OBJ converted Onne seaport to a Naval bad long ago.
Re: Onne Sea Port by RealityShot: 7:52am On Aug 08, 2018
PrecisionFx:

OBJ converted Onne seaport to a Naval bad long ago.
Please explain more on that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Magu Immediately Ceases To Act As EFCC Chairman – Ozekhome. / 25,000 PDP Members Defect To APC In Kano / Lai Mohammed: PDP Will Loot Treasury Dry If Given Access To Power Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.