Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,552 members, 7,823,439 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft (2172 Views)

Good Governance: I Need Your Prayers- Buhari Tells Religious Leaders / Some Pastors Collected Money To Preach Against Buhari - Adams Oshiomhole / Should Religious Leaders Seek Political Positions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by walata44(m): 11:07pm On Jun 22, 2009
Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft

By Chibuzor Emejor Correspondent, Abuja
National President of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), John Onaiyekan, has challenged religious leaders to rise up and preach against corruption and other vices in the society.

Onaiyekan gave the challenge at the weekend during "Abuja Night of Power" programme presided over by the General Superintendent of Deeper Christian Life Ministry, Williams Kumuyi, at the Eagle Square, Abuja

[s]He also called for unity among the Christian denominations to ensure the progress and expansion of God's kingdom in Nigeria.[/s]

He said Christian leaders should desist from abusing and insulting one another in the course of preaching the gospel
http://www.independentngonline.com/news/head/article07

http://allafrica.com/stories/200906220503.html
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by walata44(m): 11:18pm On Jun 22, 2009
He also called for unity among the Christian denominations to ensure the progress and expansion of God's kingdom in Nigeria

We have enough of expansion  of God kingdom. Can this pastors just please do something for Nigeria poor by preaching against corruption instead of expansion that we have not benefited from.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by tkb417(m): 11:51am On Jun 23, 2009
We have enough of expansion of God kingdom. Can this pastors just please do something for Nigeria poor by preaching against corruption instead of expansion that we have not benefited from.

hehehehehe at the emboldened part

but wait, are we saying on this blog that its only the pastors that preach?
so Imams dont preach?
cnat they speak against corruption too?

na pastors dey thief una money?
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by MUZBO(m): 12:26pm On Jun 23, 2009
@tkb417, Here we go again! Must it be a christian muslim thing? The thread talked about CAN president at a christian event. We are not saying anything on this 'Blog' so don't draw conclusions that would start conflict here.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by tkb417(m): 12:44pm On Jun 23, 2009
tkb417, Here we go again! Must it be a christian muslim thing? The thread talked about CAN president at a christian event. We are not saying anything on this 'Blog' so don't draw conclusions that would start conflict here.
read my post

im not contesting the original quote but the OPs point about Pastors not speaking up.
was wondering why its only the Pastors that should do that?

nothn against any religion. Just feel it shld be both ways
thats all
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by shawn123: 12:45pm On Jun 23, 2009
@tkb417
read, think and understand before responding to thread MUZBO is right. It must not be a muslim/christian thing dude. look at the thread, it was talking about a christian program in eagle square.
Nairalanders are getting tired of muslim vs christian religious aquisations, religious extremism is one of the reason we are still backward today, these arguments dont make sense anymore. Try to be unbiased and objective dude. It would go a long way. I hope you dont see this as some form of attack but if u do, sorry in advance but truth be told. sad
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by tkb417(m): 1:15pm On Jun 23, 2009
@tkb417
read, think and understand before responding to thread MUZBO is right. It must not be a muslim/christian thing dude. look at the thread, it was talking about a christian program in eagle square.
Nairalanders are getting tired of muslim vs christian religious aquisations, religious extremism is one of the reason we are still backward today, these arguments dont make sense anymore. Try to be unbiased and objective dude. It would go a long way. I hope you dont see this as some form of attack but if u do, sorry in advance but truth be told
ol boi read my response to the second man.

I am not attacking any religion but trying to see the issues from an helicopter view
if u think its an attack on ur religion, then too bad

In as much as i cant measure the esence of the thread, i think using this forum to air my views about some misplaced ideas and notions isnt outta place. The issues are to be addressed by the 2 groups. ( how that is hard to figure is surprising)
If thats offensive, then take my apologies in advance grin
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by MUZBO(m): 1:36pm On Jun 23, 2009
@shaun123, thanks for the clarification. @tkb417, of course you can air your views and you can do so without insinuation. I'm sure you don't expect the CAN president to directly address Imams to stop corruption in their community even if its apparent.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by jamace(m): 1:43pm On Jun 23, 2009
All have sinned and fall short of the moral courage to preach against corruption. All now do a little to the left and a little to the right in many aspects of corruption.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by tkb417(m): 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2009
shaun123, thanks for the clarification. @tkb417, of course you can air your views and you can do so without insinuation. I'm sure you don't expect the CAN president to directly address Imams to stop corruption in their community even if its apparent
ok sir!
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by TayoUK(m): 2:26pm On Jun 23, 2009
How would religious leaders preach against corruption in our community when there’s competition for who owns the best private jet among the so called religious leaders?

There’s fire in Fire Brigade headquarter, who is going to quench it? grin
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by favcom(m): 2:28pm On Jun 23, 2009
Religious leaders have the responsibility to declare the word of God no matter whose ox is gored
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Nezan(m): 5:59pm On Jun 23, 2009
Tayo-UK:

How would religious leaders preach against corruption in our community when there’s competition for who owns the best private jet among the so called religious leaders?

There’s fire in Fire Brigade headquarter, who is going to quench it? grin

Ha grin ha ;Dha ;Dha grin

On a serious note, preachers should do away wit corruption in the church before coming to preach against it.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by bawomolo(m): 6:49pm On Jun 23, 2009
Does CAN still have that much of voice.

it seems splintered now.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by kok(m): 7:22pm On Jun 23, 2009
Church leaders to preach against corruption! Very easy to do, but the tradition now is, do as I say and not as I do. Since Churches now recognise celebrate the "big dawgs" that are behind the corruption art, how possible is it for them to condemn it?
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by axeman85(m): 9:09pm On Jun 23, 2009
k
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Tudor6(f): 9:25pm On Jun 23, 2009
Churches charged to preach against graft indeed!
They'll be hurting their supply base. A substantial percentage of their tithes,vows building offerings and seeds come from theiving politicians who want to ''thank'' god for the wonderful opportunity to loot. . .
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Typewriter(m): 10:12pm On Jun 23, 2009
i want them to help re-brand Nigeria

am Hungry, Please Re-brand me!

I am Nigeria. I have millions of acres of arable land and billions of
cubic litres of water, but I cannot feed myself. So I spend $1 billion
to import rice and another $2 billion to import milk. I produce rice,
but don’t eat it. I have 60 million cattle but no milk. I am hungry,
please re-brand me.

I drive the latest cars in the world but have no roads. I lose family
and friends everyday on roads for which funds have been looted. I lose
my young, my old, and my most brainy and productive people to the
potholes, craters and crevasses they travel on everyday. I am in
permanent mourning, please re-brand me.

My sch ool has no teacher and my classroom has no roof. I take lecture
notes through the window and live with 15 others in a single room. All
my professors have gone abroad, and the rest are awaiting visas. I am
a university graduate, but I am illiterate. I want a future, please
re-brand me.

Malaria, typhoid and many other preventable diseases send me to
hospitals which have no doctors, no medicines and no power. So my wife
gives birth with candle light and surgery is performed by quacks. All
the nurses have gone abroad and the rest are waiting to go also. I
have the highest maternal and infant mortality rates in the world and
future generations are dying before me. I am hopeless, hapless and
helpless, please re-brand me.

I wanted change so I stood all day long to cast my vote. But even
before I could vote, the results had been announced. When I dared to
speak out, silence was enthroned by bullets. My rulers are my
oppressors, and my policemen are my terrors. I am ruled by men in
mufti, but I am not a democracy. I have no verve, no vote, no voice,
please re-brand me.

I have 50 million youths with no jobs, no present and no future. So my
sons in the North have become street urchins and his brothers in the
South have become militants. My nephews die of thirst in the Sah ara
and his cousins drown in the waters of the Mediterranean. My daughters
walk the streets of Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, while her sisters
parade the streets of Rome and Amsterdam. I am inconsolable, please
re-brand me.

My people cannot sleep at night and cannot relax by day. They cannot
use ATM machines, nor use cheques. My children sleep through staccato
of AK 47s see through the mist of tear gas. The leaders have looted
everything on the ground and below. They walk the land with haughty
strides and fly the skies with private jets. They have stolen the
future of generations yet unborn and have money they cannot spend in
several lifetimes, but their brothers die of hunger. I want justice,
please re-brand me.

I can produce anything, but import everything. So my toothpick is made
in China; my toothpaste is made in South Africa; my salt is made in
Ghana; my butter is made in Ireland; my milk is made in Holland; my
shoe is made in Italy; my vegetable oil is made in Malaysia; my
biscuit is made in Indonesia; my chocolate is made in Turkey and my
table water made in France. My taste is far-flung and foreign, please
re-brand me.

My people are cancerous from the greed of their friends who bleach
palm oil with chemicals; my children died because they drank ‘My
Pikin’ with NAFDAC numbers; my poor die because kerosene explodes in
their faces; my land is dead because all the trees have been cut down;
flood kills my people yearly because the drainages are clogged; my
fishes are dead because the oil companies dump waste in my rivers; my
communities are vanishing into the huge yawns of gully erosion, and
nothing is being done. My livelihood is in jeopardy, and I am in the
uttermost depths of despondence, please re-brand me.

I have genuine leather but choose to eat it. So I spend a billion
dollars to import fake leather. I have four refineries, but prefer to
import fuel, so I waste more billions to import petrol. I have no
security in my country, but would rather send troops to keep the peace
in another man’s land. I have 160 dams, but can not get water to
drink, so I buy ‘pure’ water that roils my innards. I have a million
children waiting to enter universities, but my ivory dungeons can only
take a tenth. I have no power, but choose to flare gas, so my people
have learnt to see in the dark and stare at the glare of naked flares.
I have no direction, please re-brand me.

My people pray to God every morning and every night, but commit every
crime known to man because re-branded identities will never alter the
tunes of inbred rhythms. Just as the drums of heritage heralds the
frenzied ji ngles, remember - the Nigerian soul can only be Nigerian -
fighting free from the cold embrace of a government that has no
spring, no sense, no shame. So we watch the possessed, frenzied dance,
drenched in silent tears as freedom is locked up in democracy’s empty
cellars. I need guidance, please re-brand me.

But then, why can I not simply be me, without being re-branded? Or
does my complexion cloud the color of my character? Does my location
limit the lengths my liberty? Does the spirit of my conviction shackle
my soul? Does my mien maim the mine of my mind? And is this life worth
re-branding? I am not yet born, please re-brand me
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by kok(m): 11:14pm On Jun 23, 2009
ah ah ah ah, Re-branding indeed! Actually they should be the one accelerating the re-branding campaign but they are just there trying not to be on the offensive side of the "bross". cry cry cry e nor easy!!!
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by dayokanu(m): 6:14am On Jun 24, 2009
Definitely not Eunuch Adeboye.

Rather he would allow corrupt politicians to mount the pulpit and preach Since he who pays the piper,
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by dfanthom(m): 8:26am On Jun 24, 2009
@ TYPEWRITER: it's a very indebt write-up! you have said it all in one piece!! keep up the good work. cool

@ our religious leaders,

there's a saying that evil thrives when good men encourage it with their silence. most of these men are not courageous enough to stand up for the oppressed. they shy away from fighting the ills of this our degenerating society, which is very sadd indeed.

they can do more to serve God & minister to man by preaching against graft & corruption in/out of Government right there on the pulpit & everywhere they go. they have the calling & therefeore the strength of the Almighty. you should not mess up your place in eternity with a pot of porridge.

NAIRALANDERS, Keep up the good work & continue to fight against moribound conventions & the ills of our society so that WE & the future generations can live in an egalitarian society!
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Nezan(m): 10:43am On Jun 24, 2009
dfanthom:

@ TYPEWRITER: it's a very indebt write-up! you have said it all in one piece!! keep up the good work. cool

@ our religious leaders,

there's a saying that evil thrives when good men encourage it with their silence. most of these men are not courageous enough to stand up for the oppressed. they shy away from fighting the ills of this our degenerating society, which is very sadd indeed.

they can do more to serve God & minister to man by preaching against graft & corruption in/out of Government right there on the pulpit & everywhere they go. they have the calling & therefeore the strength of the Almighty. you should not mess up your place in eternity with a pot of porridge.

NAIRALANDERS, Keep up the good work & continue to fight against moribound conventions & the ills of our society so that WE & the future generations can live in an egalitarian society!

good talk, bro
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by dfanthom(m): 11:13am On Jun 24, 2009

@ our religious leaders,

NAIRALANDERS, Keep up the good work & continue to fight against moribound conventions & the ills of our society so that WE & the future generations can live in an egalitarian society! cool
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by MUZBO(m): 12:52pm On Jun 24, 2009
@typewriter, lovely write up there. How I wish say dem fit let you read am for Eagle square on Independence day.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by DeepSoul(f): 1:22pm On Jun 24, 2009
Wow Typewritter,

That was deep. And apt. Well said

@Post
I lost faith in religious bodies when I heard that there was actually rigging at the PFN elections (Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria).

These so called religious bodies are not really much better than PDP, It makes me sad cos I'm a christian. And Im Nigerian.

Silent tears!
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Tudor6(f): 2:17pm On Jun 24, 2009
@TYPEWRITER
how touching. . . .NIGERIA IS DOOMED!!
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Nezan(m): 9:56am On Jun 25, 2009
Tudór:

@TYPEWRITER
how touching. . . .NIGERIA IS DOOMED!!

OHMG
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by kolaoloye(m): 10:16am On Jun 25, 2009
A time is coming in this nation when there shall be no more corruption.

Most of our religious leaders are not bad but the people directly under them.
Let every person make his or her own contribution towards the campaign even you.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Nezan(m): 11:22am On Jun 26, 2009
I beg to disagree. Most of our pastors are there strictly for the dough.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by dfanthom(m): 4:26pm On Jun 27, 2009
Nezan:

I beg to disagree. Most of our pastors are there strictly for the dough.

yea bro! these geeks, all of them religious leaders don't give a hoot 'bout no-one cept their pockets! May the Almighty continue to deliver us from the snare of the fowler, cool

they should do the needful & God will surely strengthen them. keep saying your prayers, shocked
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by blackspade(m): 5:08pm On Jun 27, 2009
Yawn.
Re: Religious Leaders Charged To Preach Against Graft by Tudor6(f): 6:40pm On Jun 27, 2009
^^^Whatever. . . cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Turai Checkmates Jonathan / Acn Senators To Oppose Oil Subsidy Removal / Nigeria Closes Gap On South Africa’s Investment Lead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.