Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,161 members, 7,811,352 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! (32427 Views)

Nigerians You Are Being Deceived. True Status Of Buhari's Health. / Nigerians: We Don't Live In Paradise And We Know It / We Bring To You Live Pictures Of What Is Happening In Onitsha. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:31pm On Jan 20, 2016
Nice post, but wrong title...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Ayomivic(m): 2:45pm On Jan 20, 2016
jayfolarin:

So you want the government to use their personal incomes to develop the country first after which you will decide to contribute your quota to the economy if you like the results or not?!! i guess you should also ask them to help you put breakfast, lunch and dinner on your table!! The development in the west is as a result of the taxes generated from its citizens, not the other way round!

You can't eat your cake and have it!

You see what this man is saying in his mouth. You are using youself to judge other people, so you are charging that much in the country you are leaving and you stil have money to subscribe for data plan of 5000 where some nigerians cannot afford two meals per day.

Please mr know how, can you tell us one thing that Nigerians is benefited from Government? Can you tell us the level of corruption in this country?It is in this country that roads are bad, no electricity, no street light, no drinkable water, no security, the level of unemployement is high, some of roads within cities are untie. The Nigerian Government are not cater for there citizens the citizens cater for themselves. You ask me how.And i will tell you, some nigerians cannot afford to use kerosine in there house talkless of gas. When kerosine is not affordable in this country ,intead of shoutting the government Nigerians switched to firewood,when firewood is not affordable they switched to chacoal, when chacoal is not affordable they switched to sawdust if they are lazy like our leaders this countr would have turn to another thing you know what i mean.

God blessed us so much in this country to the extent that government can providing for our brakefast, lunch and dinner without saking.We have oil in this country but suffèr it more than the country that does not have, there is drinkable water around us but to pump or how to do that is problem of our government .Its the citizen themselve that are sourcing for water by digging well and borehole. If not help of generator i can'nt have electricity to charge my phone and i will not be opportune to reply this your headache aticle or what do you call it

if we have enough or satisfied as a citizen of this country , it take nothing to take little out of abundant as you are doing in that country you reside.
Op, if truely you are nigerian why are you ran away from your country? May be you are one of lucky nigerian or one of Esinsin o ko ku youth that smuggled themselve out of country out of sufferness or you are one or son of these wicked,selfish and laziness politicians that fear poverty but cannont save those that are in powerty whom they represented. They lied they are people servants but behave like people boss. They are getting fat why people that sent them are gettin thin. If you are not politician nor politician son and you are in another country. my friend it is too early to forget what your brothers are passing through in this coutry.
If goverment want us to pay tax or do all you metioned above, they should first prove to us that they have change by putting thing in orders with the one in their care before asking us to pay in their fraudulent account

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Tochaigh: 2:49pm On Jan 20, 2016

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by kay29000(m): 2:50pm On Jan 20, 2016
I think OP is exaggerating a little...I don't believe all these figures he is throwing about. 12k for a girl in a brothel? An ashie joint? Na lie jor!
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Tochaigh: 2:55pm On Jan 20, 2016
jayfolarin:
I'v wanted to write this article for over 2 months but its discouraging thinking about the number of points i need to raise to support my claims! NIGERIANS WANT THE BEST THINGS BUT NEVER WANT TO PAY FOR IT!! HOW ON EARTH DO YOU WANT YOUR COUNTRY TO DEVELOP?!

Quick question; Imagine government fixes Nigeria's issues of electricity and internet with other basic amenities today, Who here would be willing to pay an annual rent of N1million for a single room (Not one bedroom flat oo) in a city like Ado-Ekiti and N3million for the most average single room (shared toilet and bathroom with at least one other person e.g face me, I face you houses) in a city like Lagos?! Note: This is just basic rent and is therefore without utility bills such as Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage, Internet etc that averages about another N900,000 yearly.

I couldn't stop shaking my head at the gullibility of some Nigerians as i read the various comments on the N50 bank charges thread. That is what? 2cents charge on banking transactions that does not even include savings account that most of the commenters use oo! Even South Africa reportedly demands that you pay an equivalent of N500 for deposits into your own account (Savings or Current)! Where I live, you are demanded to pay an equivalent N4,200 in charges for deposit into another's account if you aren't a customer of the bank!

Nigeria has the lowest VAT tax in the world and i'm sure y'all will take to the streets in protests if this is ever increased! I pay N1,500 in charges for every ATM interbank withdrawal of an equivalent of N10,000 and you all couldn't stop screaming at the N65 naira (after 3rd transaction) that was introduced by the CBN last year! Haba Nigerians!! You want to live 'comfortably' like Americans and Europeans but aren't ready to pay the price! Who does that sh*t! One of the major reasons why you don't enjoy goodies is because because you haven't had to pay enough taxes. It is partly a reason why the government doesn't feel very responsible to the people as well. Oil is not anyone's property anyways.

I really can't remember the last time i visited an hospital but i'm mandated to pay an equivalent of N23,000 monthly for health insurance! Would you be willing to pay such amount for the sake of development in the health care sector in Nigeria?! I don't think so but you would be the first to take pictures for nairaland about the pitiable state of one hospital in your city!

You want the best Infrastructures in the world but have never paid taxes from your businesses! Some people would rather close up shop than pay the most basic tax to the government! How on earth do you expect any development if you aren't ready to help government with funds? Nigeria is not the only country with oil, we don't even have as much as Russia but expect to get everything for free because there's oil in the land! What would y'all have done if you didn't have anything but rocks and granite? you would expect the government officials to use their personal incomes to develop the country first and then see if you like it or not before you decide to pay?! I no pity your destiny!

Nowhere in the world is mobile internet data cheap, Nigerians automatically feel they are being ripped off by mobile operators who use the same infrastructure that's being deployed everywhere else! For a 2gb mobile internet data allowance from T-mobile, I pay N5,000 monthly, This is not even close to what Nigerians get from the mobile operators but they scream to the heavens still. Agreed, cable/ADSL, wired internet is cheaper but you cant blame this on the telecom industries, Government should make provisions for that! But again, how many persons would not scream 'Rip off' if you all are asked to pay a mandatory internet fee ranging in thousands of Naira every month

From food to clothings, transportation, even prostitutes (Girls in brothels here charge at least 12k for a quickie, Don't ask me how i know grin), Nigerians live on the cheap and want to keep up with the expensive! No! It doesn't work that way! You have to pay for developments that leads to a robust economy which in turn leads to higher standard of living (Job creation, Increment in Minimum wage, Good roads, healthcare facilities etc)..

Others have given you appropriate answers, so i won't bother countering your points but,

Why don't you wish your life mirrors the Paradise that Nigeria is?! How about that?! Uhn! Your life a pixel perfect representation of Nigeria. Enjoy the Paradise.

Google fiber is onetime 60k, $300, to setup in the US with 5mb speed, unlimited data-cap, and goes up to 1gb/s for monthly fees. Do you know what speed I am browsing with, do you know how frustrating it is to browse and download here. If I curse you with the network speed of glo ehn!!

Tell us how much you make a month. STOP this foolish hypocrisy. What is the minimum wage in the US? What is the minimum wage in Nigeria? 18k. Oya compare it

Mumu
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by ernecy(m): 2:59pm On Jan 20, 2016
Bros park well, u for come back home
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 20, 2016
jayfolarin:
I'v wanted to write this article for over 2 months but its discouraging thinking about the number of points i need to raise to support my claims! NIGERIANS WANT THE BEST THINGS BUT NEVER WANT TO PAY FOR IT!! HOW ON EARTH DO YOU WANT YOUR COUNTRY TO DEVELOP?!

Quick question; Imagine government fixes Nigeria's issues of electricity and internet with other basic amenities today, Who here would be willing to pay an annual rent of N1million for a single room (Not one bedroom flat oo) in a city like Ado-Ekiti and N3million for the most average single room (shared toilet and bathroom with at least one other person e.g face me, I face you houses) in a city like Lagos?! Note: This is just basic rent and is therefore without utility bills such as Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage, Internet etc that averages about another N900,000 yearly.

I couldn't stop shaking my head at the gullibility of some Nigerians as i read the various comments on the N50 bank charges thread. That is what? 2cents charge on banking transactions that does not even include savings account that most of the commenters use oo! Even South Africa reportedly demands that you pay an equivalent of N500 for deposits into your own account (Savings or Current)! Where I live, you are demanded to pay an equivalent N4,200 in charges for deposit into another's account if you aren't a customer of the bank!

Nigeria has the lowest VAT tax in the world and i'm sure y'all will take to the streets in protests if this is ever increased! I pay N1,500 in charges for every ATM interbank withdrawal of an equivalent of N10,000 and you all couldn't stop screaming at the N65 naira (after 3rd transaction) that was introduced by the CBN last year! Haba Nigerians!! You want to live 'comfortably' like Americans and Europeans but aren't ready to pay the price! Who does that sh*t! One of the major reasons why you don't enjoy goodies is because because you haven't had to pay enough taxes. It is partly a reason why the government doesn't feel very responsible to the people as well. Oil is not anyone's property anyways.

I really can't remember the last time i visited an hospital but i'm mandated to pay an equivalent of N23,000 monthly for health insurance! Would you be willing to pay such amount for the sake of development in the health care sector in Nigeria?! I don't think so but you would be the first to take pictures for nairaland about the pitiable state of one hospital in your city!

You want the best Infrastructures in the world but have never paid taxes from your businesses! Some people would rather close up shop than pay the most basic tax to the government! How on earth do you expect any development if you aren't ready to help government with funds? Nigeria is not the only country with oil, we don't even have as much as Russia but expect to get everything for free because there's oil in the land! What would y'all have done if you didn't have anything but rocks and granite? you would expect the government officials to use their personal incomes to develop the country first and then see if you like it or not before you decide to pay?! I no pity your destiny!

Nowhere in the world is mobile internet data cheap, Nigerians automatically feel they are being ripped off by mobile operators who use the same infrastructure that's being deployed everywhere else! For a 2gb mobile internet data allowance from T-mobile, I pay N5,000 monthly, This is not even close to what Nigerians get from the mobile operators but they scream to the heavens still. Agreed, cable/ADSL, wired internet is cheaper but you cant blame this on the telecom industries, Government should make provisions for that! But again, how many persons would not scream 'Rip off' if you all are asked to pay a mandatory internet fee ranging in thousands of Naira every month

From food to clothings, transportation, even prostitutes (Girls in brothels here charge at least 12k for a quickie, Don't ask me how i know grin), Nigerians live on the cheap and want to keep up with the expensive! No! It doesn't work that way! You have to pay for developments that leads to a robust economy which in turn leads to higher standard of living (Job creation, Increment in Minimum wage, Good roads, healthcare facilities etc)..

There's an empty ward in yaba left. Be there asap
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by mrmetoo1: 3:06pm On Jan 20, 2016
redcliff:

Exactly what Nigerians lack.

Lots of sentiments
No common sense

Now, how do we solve this?

Lmao.. wish I had the answers
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by LaExpert: 3:07pm On Jan 20, 2016
Hmm; well said, op.
I agree with you.

...But no one is ready to pay more for what he's not sure of getting value,

someone who pays 1000naira for electricity and gets 4hrs pwr supply in a week, the same person is promised that if he pays 5000naira, he'll get 4hrs daily, he pays it...and nothing changes. Do you expect that same person to agree to paying 20000naira when the authorities promise a better supply?
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by UyiIredia(m): 3:18pm On Jan 20, 2016
@ jayfolarin: U still be learner.
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by favouryemmy: 3:20pm On Jan 20, 2016
@op, you were trying to make good points but just couldn't. Have you not heard of all the billions that our politicians have stashed away from God knows when? If those money were used to develop the things needed in the country, things would have been better and when people start to enjoy those things, you can easily ask them to pay more. Nigeria is rich but Nigerians are poor so, such things will pile up more misery to the poor Nigerians. Imagine when a governor asks you pay tenement rate, when they tarred all the roads around your street and chanelled the runoff into your street without without constructing the road or even the drainage paa paa. And you had to construct your own drainage in front of your house, just to save you fence from collapsing from the effect of heavy runoffs from 6 to 7 streets. Do you think one will be happy paying such? This is the reality in Nigeria, and as long as things continue like this, Nigerians will continue to resist any effort to pile more misery on us.
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by pretts(f): 3:21pm On Jan 20, 2016
I really don't understand why people generalise issues they know next to nothing about...why do Nigerians living outside the country always assume that all Nigerians don't pay taxes. I know that I was taxed at the rate of 19.3% from my monthly pay last year (and I wasn't a senior staff), which I wouldn't do if I had my way because I don't get the benefits you get when you pay your taxes where you live. And I also know of others who continue to pay way more taxes than I did, and don't enjoy any benefits for doing so. Please note that even the smallest of allowances were taxed. With a deduction of about 25% taxes in the UK, you're sure to enjoy a lot of benefits from public utilities to vast opportunities. So please, do your research properly before you post a similar article next time.
jayfolarin:

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by jameseva: 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2016
sucess001:

lol...Nairaland....next time...travel out before you say someone is lying....anyone who has been to these places i mentioned will know its true...

There are free public wifi in a few places.. Don't generalise that this is the same thinf everywhere! I'm typing from a 'coffee shop' in amsterdam where i presently am on holiday and also using their free wifi but this isn't obtainable in stuttgart where i was just 2 weeks ago.. i don't have time arguing with someone whose bane of generalisation to the western world is the uae

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by dimssy(m): 4:02pm On Jan 20, 2016
@jayfolarin,taxes as people scream...increase in school fee without increasing minimum wage,no increase in quality of education and all,my NAIRALANDERS have said it all,go find something better to do...
jayfolarin:

So you want the government to use their personal incomes to develop the country first after which you will decide to contribute your quota to the economy if you like the results or not?!! i guess you should also ask them to help you put breakfast, lunch and dinner on your table!! The development in the west is as a result of the taxes generated from its citizens, not the other way round!

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by genuinechimere(m): 4:08pm On Jan 20, 2016
Excellent7:

You are suggesting that the government tax Nigerians abroad so that they can have money to buy more BMWs?
Besides the United States that newly introduced this policy, pray tell me which other countries are doing the same? Are you also aware that an increasing number of US citizens are giving up their citizenship because of this?
It is these silly flash ideas that are not thought through that are and will ruin things.
Just like the ill conceived directive banning banks from accepting foreign currency into domiciliary accounts that was reversed just a few days ago. I laughed when I got messages from Banks about the reversal and was spooked to read a few days later that the Banks were surprised people are not forthcoming.
What about the governments of the countries Nigerians are living requesting from our government payment for hosting and "taking care" of her citizens.
I really wrote that tongue-in-cheek

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 20, 2016
jayfolarin:

Bros am sorry but you have no argument,50% of nothing is nothing.
Nor be who get job dey pay tax?

Goverment must give to the people to expect from the people,when a gov fail to create opportunities that'll attract investors,
Infact Nigeria has failed her people.
Hell can't be worst than Nigeria,trust me.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
pretts:
I really don't understand why people generalise issues they know next to nothing about...why do Nigerians living outside the country always assume that all Nigerians don't pay taxes. I know that I was taxed at the rate of 19.3% from my monthly pay last year (and I wasn't a senior staff), which I wouldn't do if I had my way because I don't get the benefits you get when you pay your taxes where you live. And I also know of others who continue to pay way more taxes than I did, and don't enjoy any benefits for doing so. Please note that even the smallest of allowances were taxed. With a deduction of about 25% taxes in the UK, you're sure to enjoy a lot of benefits from public utilities to vast opportunities. So please, do your research properly before you post a similar article next time.

Please don't mind him,I don't know what sort of weed he took before wasting his precious time writing that trash..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by themanderon: 5:12pm On Jan 20, 2016
@ op what is the guarantee that the N50 collected will be used for what you are told its gona be used for? What is the guarantee that it will not go the dasuki way? The problem with Nigeria is not about lack of money but rather criminal minded cowboys we have as politicians, and by the way if Nigeria is such a Paradise as you claim WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THAT COUNTRY YOU ARE IN?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by sucess001(m): 5:37pm On Jan 20, 2016
jameseva:

There are free public wifi in a few places.. Don't generalise that this is the same thinf everywhere! I'm typing from a 'coffee shop' in amsterdam where i presently am on holiday and also using their free wifi but this isn't obtainable in stuttgart where i was just 2 weeks ago.. i don't have time arguing with someone whose bane of generalisation to the western world is the uae

oga...you yourself said u re using free wifi in amsterdam...did i say its free in all places? and i dont recall mentioning only the UAE...i mentioned SA...biko be reading and digesting posts before u reply....if its free in a lot of public spaces including amsterdam...uae...SA and even Kenya...is it not safe to say most countries?....
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 20, 2016
Rastamann:

This is one mistake that those of you abroad make. The situation in most of the developed countries is not the same in Nigeria. How many Nigerians make $8 dollars per hour in Nigeria? What is the salary of an average Nigerian compared to what its counterpart abroad receives? The living conditions and the standard of living differs, so we should stop the unnecessary comparison. If electricity is fixed, Nigerians are ready to pay for it so long as the consume the product. Before now when we used to have constant electricity Nigerians pay for it but you cannot expect me to pay for electricity when the service is not available and a bill is still sent to me. Whether you like it or not, if our leaders do the right things, and govern well, Nigeria will be a better place to live compared to those developed countries.
I concur with your thinking. Before govt introduces tax hikes, it has to demonstrate how it will use the funds judiciously.
Also, the US federal minimum wage is equivalent to N300k/month for full time workers (40hrs per week). You can't compare it to Naija's N18k minimum wage.
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 20, 2016
kay29000:
I think OP is exaggerating a little...I don't believe all these figures he is throwing about. 12k for a girl in a brothel? An ashie joint? Na lie jor!
He could be right, depending on where he lives. In the US, the lowest amount paid for a strippers lap dance is around N6,000. The average price of a haircut is N3,000; a one-day bus pass goes for N1,500; and native wears cost no less than N30,000!
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by kay29000(m): 6:41pm On Jan 20, 2016
CFCman:

He could be right, depending on where he lives. In the US, the lowest amount paid for a strippers lap dance is around N6,000. The average price of a haircut is N3,000; a one-day bus pass goes for N1,500; and native wears cost no less than N30,000!

I believe your own prices, cos my cousins live in ATL, and I am always helping them with native wears from here cos it is expensive over there. But this dude lives in South AFRICA and is telling me he pays 12k for a brothel hoe. A stripper is way higher in levels than a brothel hoe.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by sinkhole: 6:41pm On Jan 20, 2016
I think this folarin of a guy will soon change to "nobody" grin He has touched Nigerians where it pains them most, I think if it is real life the guy would have been given "maxima shi-shi" grin
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 20, 2016
kay29000:

I believe your own prices, cos my cousins live in ATL, and I am always helping them with native wears from here cos it is expensive over there. But this dude lives in South AFRICA and is telling me he pays 12k for a brothel hoe. A stripper is way higher in levels than a brothel hoe.
You know the SA Rand is stronger than the Naira in terms of exchange rate to the US$. And the N12k is like $40. So he might not be exaggerating by much.
Women here dey suffer too. To braid their hair in the salon, they pay no less than $80, which is around N24K.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by kay29000(m): 7:25pm On Jan 20, 2016
CFCman:

You know the SA Rand is stronger than the Naira in terms of exchange rate to the US$. And the N12k is like $40. So he might not be exaggerating by much.
Women here dey suffer too. To braid their hair in the salon, they pay no less than $80, which is around N24K.

Hmm! Okay.
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by cronsberg: 9:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
OP, you are not making sense at all. The government should do whatever it can first to improve the country whether by borrowing or whatever, then and only then should the citizens be made to pay increased bills. Do you Op even live in nigeria? Do you know how much it will cost you to guarantee yourself 24 hours of electricity each day in nigeria? How much will it cost you to setup a truly uninterruptred always on internet connection in nigeria? do we even have truly cabled broadband internet in nigeria besides the worthless mobile internet we have?
You see i used to live in an asian country. I paid 4000 naira a month for cabled internet, with only that 4000 naira, i browsed youtube 24/7, download thousands of movies if i want, watched live t.v channels online, download hundreds of documentaries, download softwares and so many more. If i was in nigeria, the only option i have is to buy a 2 gig airtel data for 2000 naira and as soon as i watch at most 2 long documentaries on youtube, the data is finished. What option does that kind of data plan live for a guy like me who needs to be constantly on the internet tinkering with networking softwares like wireshark, running networking commands, configuring and troubleshooting routers and switches. Even more supprissing is that i paid at most 150 naira a month on electricity bill, and that guarantees me quality uninterrupted electricity 24 hours a day, paid about only 50 naira a month for water bill and got constant running water in my tap without interruption.
Now, how many decades have nigerians been paying exorbitant bills and all sorts of multiple illegal tax but without the accompanying improvement in the quality of life? Its enough, the government should instead fix the country before demanding anything they want to demand.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by success10(m): 9:35pm On Jan 20, 2016
Op... YOUR BRAIN NEEDS TO BE WASHED WITH GOKO CLEANSER..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by success10(m): 9:37pm On Jan 20, 2016
Op... YOUR BRAIN NEEDS TO BE WASHED WITH GOKO CLEANSER..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Fulaman198(m): 10:47pm On Jan 20, 2016
cronsberg:
OP, you are not making sense at all. The government should do whatever it can first to improve the country whether by borrowing or whatever, then and only then should the citizens be made to pay increased bills. Do you Op even live in nigeria? Do you know how much it will cost you to guarantee yourself 24 hours of electricity each day in nigeria? How much will it cost you to setup a truly uninterruptred always on internet connection in nigeria? do we even have truly cabled broadband internet in nigeria besides the worthless mobile internet we have?
You see i used to live in an asian country. I paid 4000 naira a month for cabled internet, with only that 4000 naira, i browsed youtube 24/7, download thousands of movies if i want, watched live t.v channels online, download hundreds of documentaries, download softwares and so many more. If i was in nigeria, the only option i have is to buy a 2 gig airtel data for 2000 naira and as soon as i watch at most 2 long documentaries on youtube, the data is finished. What option does that kind of data plan live for a guy like me who needs to be constantly on the internet tinkering with networking softwares like wireshark, running networking commands, configuring and troubleshooting routers and switches. Even more supprissing is that i paid at most 150 naira a month on electricity bill, and that guarantees me quality uninterrupted electricity 24 hours a day, paid about only 50 naira a month for water bill and got constant running water in my tap without interruption.
Now, how many decades have nigerians been paying exorbitant bills and all sorts of multiple illegal tax but without the accompanying improvement in the quality of life? Its enough, the government should instead fix the country before demanding anything they want to demand.

A haali gonga bandirawo

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by ttmacoy: 11:10pm On Jan 20, 2016
While I see the logic of your point here the main issue is even though American citizens and LPRs are liable to file taxes when living abroad, this does not mean they pay taxes to the US unless the tax paid in the country they live and work is lower than the US tax liability. Given Nigeria's income tax rate is lower than the likes of the US and UK, Nigerians earning in those countries will not be paying any tax. It will probably be those who work in countries with lower tax rates than Nigeria or tax free zones that will be affected and I'm not sure how significant the funds raised will be.

But anyway we need to strengthen the tax collection system in Nigeria starting with those earning in Nigeria before embarking on such an endeavor if not we risk having a very inefficiency system which will probably cost more to run than it will bring in,

I agree though that we need to overhaul our tax system and attitude to paying taxes as Nigerians. The government also needs to play it's part by giving Nigerians the confidence that taxes raised will be spent judiciously and wisely.

Wyttcat:
Right! Something really needs to be done fast. Nigerians living abroad can be taxed too, after all, American citizens living and working overseas still send their annual taxes to America. Nigerians who refuse must not be allowed in the country or be picked up straight from the airport to a jailhouse. We need all hands on deck to fix Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Shegricho: 1:06am On Jan 21, 2016
jayfolarin:

From food to clothings, transportation, even prostitutes (Girls in brothels here charge at least 12k for a quickie, Don't ask me how i know grin), N
[/b]
i won't blame you for this rubbish you are typing, it's all cos of the devaluation of naira.
Re: Nigerians: You Live In A Paradise And Dont Even Know It! by Pdizzle(m): 6:06am On Jan 21, 2016
MadCow1:

This post is not half as intelligent as you think Mr OP. the insulting lines even made it worse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

COAS Lagbaja Deploys Army To South-East To Counter IPOB’s Sit-At-Home Order / Ayiri Emami & Wife Celebrate Daughter Misan's 7th Birthday (Pics) / Buhari: Those Who Thought I Was Dead Begged Osinbajo To Make Them His VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.