Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? (4650 Views)

Samuel Eto’o Shares Photo With Wife / Ex-Nigerian Boxer, Ayodele Peters Lives In Abject Poverty [photos] / Samuel Peters Vs Vitali Klitschko: X-ray Of The Bout Dubbed "Peter's Nitemare" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? by spora1: 8:43am On Jun 24, 2009
The glory days of former world boxing champion, ‘Nigerian Nightmare’, Samuel Okon Peters may have fizzled out, but his shot at the world title and the way he melted away will continue to generate comments from boxing buffs around the world.
The frenzy of carnival-like celebration, which preceded Peters’ crowning as WBC champion, made headlines the world over. However, the expectations of Nigerians both at home and in the Diaspora that one of their own was in the limelight to tackle Ukraine’s Vitali Klitschko, who pounded the daylight out of him in a bout attracted yet another attention.

But like a seer, Olympian, Jerry Okorodudu, has told the former WBC heavyweight champion to call it quit in boxing while the ovation is still loud.

According to Okorodudu, no matter how hard Peters might try to comeback, he would never be able to resurrect his career and stand the heat at the highest level in the pugilist sport. The Edo State-born boxer turned coach, declared that any further attempt by Peters to challenge the top spot would tantamount to his taken a suicide mission. He therefore advised him to take a sabbatical from boxing and return to his career as a policeman.

It would be recalled that in October last year, in an attempt to defend his WBC title, the ‘Nigerian Nightmare’ fall into the furry hands of the Ukrainian giant, Klitschko, nicknamed Dr Iron Fist.
Klitschko, despite been ring-rusty for four years, pounded Peters from round one of the bout till the seventh round, after which the Nigerian could no longer stand to continue the eighth round of the scheduled 12 round bout. With that feat, Dr Iron Fist reclaimed the WBC title he relinquished some years back.

In a similar vein, Peters fell to once again to top-ranked American boxer, Eddie Chambers, who almost beat him to stupor in Match this year. And considering all these flops the boxing coach, Okorodudu, advised Peters to take a rest and enjoy the money he has made so far in the sport.
"If you ask me, I will tell you that it is over for Samuel Peters. I don’t see him achieving anything more than what he had already achieved in boxing. I wrote Peter off after his match with Vitali Klitschko; not even with his last fight against Chambers.

"For him to allow the man, who had his last fight some four years ago to destroy him and put a question mark on how he got the belt in the first place was disturbing," Okorodudu said.
"Even in his recent fight with Chambers, the American disgraced him. He did not do well in that fight, he was careless in the ring and looked very heavy. May be he is satisfied to have been a world champion and felt there was nothing to fight for. His head was not moving and his punches were not thrown properly. In fact, everything he did that day was wrong. If Peter should sit down and watch the video clips of that match, he will weep for himself.

"The only thing for Peters to do now is to call it quit and come back for his police job. As of now, I don’t think he can make it again as a professional boxer. His reflexes are already dead. If I am his manager, I will advise him to take a rest and forget boxing.
"His name is already in the Guinness World Book of Records as a former and first African to became the WBC heavyweight champion. He should take a break and enjoy his money and comeback for his police job.
"But to be honest with you, sometimes, I used to think that if Don King did not back Peters, probably he wouldn’t have won the world belt," Okorodudu added.

Source: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/sportsonthehour/2009/june/24/sportsbreak-24-06-2009-001.htm

Re: Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? by davidif: 9:21am On Jun 24, 2009
"Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police?"

And why would he wanna do that??
Re: Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? by switch47(m): 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2009
To win /earn a chance to challenge for the world title is a great achivement not to talk of occupying it. SAMUEL peters has achieved what most Boxers never achieved in a life time No matter the duration of reign. HE IS A NIGERIAN BOXING LEGEND The most successful Nigerian Boxer in History and in a long time to come.He is a super star. cool
Re: Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? by chrisical(m): 11:48am On Jun 29, 2009
Abeg the guy should quit since he gets outpunched each time he steps on the ring these days grin grin grin
Re: Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 29, 2009
If peter is a legend,then what would you call Azumah Nelson of Ghana?
he was just a fluke.
Legends win titles and stay on top.He only won one fixed fight (after being decked thrice to the floor).
even his fight with the other guy was an embarrasment.After being pounded to submission,the lumbering oaf was screaming that he was robbed.
Abeg,let him come to Naija and resume his collecting N20 from motorists.afterall,his bulky figure could be an asset in generating revenue for theboys in black!
Re: Should Samuel Peters Quit Boxing And Return To Nigeria Police? by pek(m): 3:00pm On Jul 01, 2009
point of correction: his name is PETER and not PETERS . Shows you dont know him.dont bastardise his name like many of our media people have done.

(1) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Just Blocked Me On Twitter Because I Said This(photo) / Stakegains Drops 3 Winning Odds Banker / 100% Sure Banker Tips Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.