Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,791 members, 7,824,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Biafra And The Lies Around The Facts Of Our Struggles. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra And The Lies Around The Facts Of Our Struggles. (889 Views)

"Buhari Is Not Better, He Will Never Return. Osinbajo, Stop The Lies” – FFK / Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Buhari's Article: His Misinformation, The Facts And His Records (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra And The Lies Around The Facts Of Our Struggles. by swtdrms(m): 8:45pm On Jan 22, 2016
I just read an article and i felt it should be shared

Scanty reports reaching us have it that markets banks and major shops in the ancient city of Enyimba have been shut down. This, the reports say is in connection with the protests for the release of Nnamdi Kanu the leader of IPOB. The protest resulted in a clash with security operatives and two of the protesters are reported to have died from bullet wounds.

I have read interesting articles on the recent recrudescence of the biafran struggles. I noticed in the articles that the Igbo have a divided tongue on whether they finally want to secede this time around or not. This is not strange to me for history tells me that the Igbo nation is our own model of democracy as practised in the pre-colonial era; with every adult member of the society expressing their views which are usually divergent.

I have also seen pictures of the protests and witnessed some in parts of Delta State. From what I saw, the agitators were below 50 years of age. The questions to ask are who told these young protesters about the struggles? Is whatever they are being told the truth of the matter and not distorted? While leaders like Generals Olusegun Obasanjo and Yakubu Gowon have been said to have trivialized the resurgence, others are saying the agitators do not have any idea of what embers they fan and probably cannot quench or control the inferno when it starts burning.

It’s obvious that leaders of the Western or Northern extraction cannot come out to support the self-determination bid of the Igbo. But I expect them to keep quiet or better still; have secret talks with Igbo leaders to express their opinions. I do not expect them to come to the public domain and tell us whether this would succeed or not. Be that as it may, I earnestly burn to hear the minds of the leaders of thoughts from the south-east zone, but they seem not to be saying enough or not saying anything at all. Their silence is disturbing. This was how leaders in the North quietly watched Boko Haram fester into a menace and the whole country today pays for that either in kind or cash. Are the Igbo leaders undecided as to where to let the pendulum swing or they are hiding in the wings and secretly financing the protest for some political gains? This silence if not broken may lead to yet another dent on our collective history as a people.

It is a fact that Democracy as practiced in Nigeria with inter-party zoning arrangement alienates the Igbo man and somewhat prevents him from becoming the president. How else can you compare the Igbo falling in the minority with the Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba when it comes to general elections? In a country where politics is tied to religion and religion to politics, the minority will never smell the presidency unless of course, that which providence bequeaths on them as in the case of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan. The internal party zoning system was anticipated to solve this debacle but the Yoruba man supported by the Hausa/Fulani would always commandeer the slot meant for the south. In the end, the presidency goes from the (whole of Northern region) North and then to the Yoruba. We are all afraid that an Igbo man will divide the country or steal us blind if he clinches the presidency so we would rather allot to him a subservient position where he isn’t the one who calls the shots. We would rather he cries of marginalization other than divide ‘the one indivisible entity’ called Nigeria as if the country is not already divided by our very actions and inactions.

It is an open secret that Nigerian roads are death-traps but those in the south-east are worse. While other geographical zones have six states each, the south-east zone has five. So this zone automatically gets less allocation for slots for decision-making at the federal level. And so does the zone gets less federal allocation in a ‘feeding bottle federalism’. I can go on and on enumerating the injustices done to the Igbo nation as a result of this forced marriage but does the average Igbo man love his brother? Please don’t tell me about that Igbo adage that says ‘it is better for an internal enemy to eat my wealth than an external enemy’. Why allow an internal enemy to maintain the status of an enemy when he will eventually eat/inherit your wealth?

It is in the Igbo nation that ladies are not allowed by their parents to marry certain men because they come from ‘inferior’ villages or communities, vice-versa. It is in Igboland that an Anglican lady should marry an Anglican man and a Catholic man should only marry a Catholic lady. Out of the five states in the south-east, the man from Ebonyi is not recognized by the rest as an Igbo man. Yet we are clamouring together for the realization of this liberation from the thraldom of the North and West. What happens to this man from Ebonyi if Igbo gets its independence?

An average Igbo would rather go and build a house in the village for rats and cockroaches instead of using the same money to save a dying brother. What does he hope to achieve? An economic superior status! ‘Nna mehnn, I have arrived!’ as we would hurriedly say it, just to massage our badly battered ego. The Hausa/Fulani is not our problem. Neither is the Yoruba. Our problem is the status-seeker at the detriment of the others.

The Igbo nation has Kings, Governors and other political leaders who would rather play politics by pandering to the whims and caprices of the man at the centre instead of discussing development as it affects the people. What one expects of these leaders of thoughts is to come together and think of a way forward for nation. One expects these leaders to think of a system of government evolved to suit our uniqueness and begin to propagate it instead of purveying decent. One expects these leaders to come out and condemn this disturbance of public peace in clear terms because as far as some of us are concerned this protest is out dated and pre-mature at the same time, unless of course they are waiting in the wing to gain from the spoils of war as some of us are already thinking.

Source: https://sometimesweforget./2016/01/19/biafra-and-the-lies-around-the-facts-of-our-struggles/

1 Like

Re: Biafra And The Lies Around The Facts Of Our Struggles. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jan 22, 2016
You witnessed with your own eyes and saw with your own fking eyes that the protesters are below 50 years...

Lie number 1.

You pinpointed on the said lie to question the knowledge they have about their identity...

Stupidity number 1.

You are now the only senior man below 50 years that has all the knowledge about what goes and went before, during and after Biafra war.

Hypocrisy number 1.

Op.... Better leave biaf alone and face your life of deciet bedevilling you and your cohorts...

Please lies are meant to be busted... Bust all of them.

1 Like

Re: Biafra And The Lies Around The Facts Of Our Struggles. by dmater: 9:54pm On Jan 22, 2016
All that prompted this story and many others is simple: that many Igbo people are now determined to self-determine their future. This desperation of 'BFR is dead' soothsayers has really assumed an alarming rate. This is sickening.

There are untold discriminations within groups, assassinations of poltical opponents and ethnic cleansing currently happening in certain parts of the country. Igbo people do not have a hand in the ethnic cleansing going on in these parts of the country. Igbo people are no herdsmen terrorising villagers and farmers in the country. Igbo people cannot be blamed for Sharia practice, under-age marriages and Boko Haram.

Igbo people did not instigate the Warri crises or the Western crisis of 1960s. Igbo people are not responsible for Ife and Modakeke conflict. Igbo people did not contribute to the Yoruba and Nupe confict earlier in the year that claimed lives and had 50 houses burnt.

Igbo people are not responsible for bad governance in the country. Igbo people cannot be blamed for the bastardization and rape of the Nigerian economy. Igbo people are not responsible for the bankruptcy of your States. There is no how Igbo people can be responsible for the woes of other tribes in the country.

In summary, you have no right to dictate for Igbo people how to live when you and your people are not better off.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Is Buhari Turning Out To Be As Clueless As Jonathan? / 2019:Plot To Cut Down Tinubu’s Power In S/west Intensifies Ahead Of 2019 / INEC Document Faults Bello’s Election As Kogi Tribunal Sits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.