Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,900 members, 7,814,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine (10535 Views)

MTN Sets Aside N119bn For NCC Fine-thisday / When MTN Decides Its Your Head They Will Use To Pay NCC Fine / MTN Gets November 16 Deadline To Pay N1.4trn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 23, 2016
MTN Nigeria has been given a two months extension window to settle with the Nigerian authorities over its $3.9 billion fine imposed on it by the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) in 2015.

This followed the adjournment of the case to 18 March 2016 by a Federal High Court in Lagos‚ on Friday over the $3.9 billion that MTN Nigeria has been fined by that country’s regulator.

A statement by the telecom giant, said that the two months extension was to enable the parties to try and settle the matter out of court.

“If the parties are unable to reach a settlement the matter will then proceed on that date‚” the company said.

It therefore advised the company shareholders to exercise caution when dealing in the Company’s securities until a further announcement is made.

MTN had gone to court to challenge the fine in court‚ as it argued that the size of the fine and the way it was imposed were not in accordance with the commission’s powers under the Nigerian Communications Act‚ Business Day reports.

According to the company, the penalty is substantially larger than it’s annual profits.
The Chief Executive Officer of MTN Nigeria, Mr. Ferdi Moolman explained that the fine could bankrupt the company as it represented 95 per cent of its annual turnover.

Meanwhile, MTN Group limited share rose the most in more than six years.
The share rose as much as 9.3 percent, the biggest gain since May 2009, before paring gains to 121.43 and at 1:27 p.m,Friday in Johannesburg.

The fine, which was reduced from an earlier $5.2 billion, was levied on MTN for failing to meet a deadline to disconnect 5.1 million unregistered subscribers, as security agencies seek to fight crime and Islamist militants.
“If the parties are unable to reach a settlement the matter will then proceed on that date,” MTN said.

www.leadership.ng/business/494403/mtn-gets-two-months-extension-pay-ncc-fine
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Iamlordgee(m): 3:02pm On Jan 23, 2016
Make Them leave this people naa
FTC On Fp...I Must Pop Champagne First Time oo

3 Likes

Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 23, 2016
lalasticlala.....
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Jboyossai(m): 3:04pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mtchew! At the end, the government wont do anything....chillaxxx, you will see it yourself

2 Likes

Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
They'll keep extending it until the whole story fizzles out

5 Likes

Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by looseweight: 3:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
The MTN I know won't pay
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by omusiliyu(m): 3:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
MTN should please pay our money.

5 Likes

Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by seunique(m): 3:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
b
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Timileyin008: 3:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
Fresh outta ban.
In another news

8th
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by yhemsy62(m): 3:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
H
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Aare2050(m): 3:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
ok
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by dotcomnamename: 3:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
o
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Sissyshakara(f): 3:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
Lol
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Omotayor123(f): 3:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
It shows MTN is more powerful than NCC... If this continues, they will end being freed from the fine.
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by HtwoOw: 3:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
I hope they extend the courtesy by not charging me for caller tunes i did not subscribe for !!!!

Damn
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
Ah, this has finally sealed the deal. MTN would pay the NCC five naira only as their fine. With the way the federal government drags this issue it's obvious MTN is on the winning side.
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by kay29000(m): 3:55pm On Jan 23, 2016
Hurry up and pay...Nigerian Government needs all the cash it can get right now.

1 Like

Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by bimbochoco(m): 3:56pm On Jan 23, 2016
Ok
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by eyenibibio(m): 3:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
For refusing to disconnect 5.1 million subscribers. Dammit, mtn should also be tried and fined for treasonable felony. I can only imagine the boko haramites taking advantage of the loophole mtn created. Abegi, the fine is justified.
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by TreasureTayo(m): 3:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mtcceeew.. As if i knew!!!! grin grin grin naxo dem go dey shift am dey go.. Mean while, abeg, where dem dey sell rat killer? sad sad sad grin
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by thefakestan: 3:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
Well all the best to MTN.

ThefakeStan
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by funshyboi(m): 3:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
Welcome to nigeria. Where everything can be bargained. Come to think of it, shareholders of mtn, are they not in the govt?
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by aloeman15(m): 4:00pm On Jan 23, 2016
Na wa o!
So, pricing of market has gone international in this country!
So, buhari's body language didn't scare them into paying up?
You fine someone, reduce the fine by yourself, they take you to court and now have the audacity to talk of 'settlement'?!
These guys must be shocked that anytin wey dem talk, 9ja go gree!
I thought this govt was goin on about how mtn lines were used by terrorists? And wasn't the govt vehemently against plea bargaining?
Besides, remember how much bp was fined for the oil spill near the us?
$12billion!
And una dey hia dey prize market with mtn?! Wish kyn mumu dey dis govt?
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by humanbeing5th(f): 4:06pm On Jan 23, 2016
c
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 23, 2016
These NCC guys are not serious
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by meshacha1: 4:16pm On Jan 23, 2016
The fine needs to be increased, look at what south Africans are doing to our Nigerians over there.
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Mopolchi: 4:16pm On Jan 23, 2016
NCC why the 2 months naa. This MTN go kill pesin finish to get that money pay.
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by Meriekriss: 4:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
FG keep embarrassing themselves... You have a deadline now you are giving an extension... Yeye dey smell...
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by prejulsuc(f): 4:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
omusiliyu:
MTN should please pay our money.
Don't mind mtn jare.They should paid that money,they are too stingy.They credited my mtn acct with 5k after sim registration, yet i cannot use it to make international calls and they want me to finished d airtime within seven days.Mtn i hail una.
Re: MTN Gets Two Months Extension To Pay NCC Fine by fredie107(m): 4:30pm On Jan 23, 2016
Mtn, since you've been given two months extension, then give your subscribers 1 year extension to register their sim cards. grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

New BBM Update Comes With Video Calling Feature / Communication Tax: Subscribers, Business Leaders Ready For Showdown / Latest Method Of Getting Free 1GB And 500MB On MTN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.