Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,467 members, 7,840,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 (644 Views)

Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / Letter Of Proclamation Was Sent By The President / 175 Inmates Escape In Jail-Break In Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 by blacksta(m): 8:46pm On Jun 25, 2009
Whereas the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria acknowledges that the challenges of the Niger Delta arose mainly from the inadequacies of previous attempts at meeting the yearnings and aspiration of the people, and have set in motion machinery for the sustainable development of the Niger Delta States;

Whereas certain elements of the Niger Delta populace have resorted to unlawful means of agitation for the development of the region including militancy thereby threatening peace, security, order and good governance and jeopardising the economy of the nation;

Whereas the Government realises that many of the militants are able-bodied youths whose energies could be harnessed for the development of the Niger Delta and the nation at large;

Whereas the Government desires that all persons who have directly or indirectly participated in militancy in the Niger Delta should return to respect constituted authority; and

Whereas many persons who had so engaged in militancy now desire to apply for and obtain amnesty and pardon.

NOW THEREFORE, I, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, after due consultation with the council of States and in exercise of the powers conferred upon me by the provisions of Section 175 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, make the following proclamation:

1. I hereby grant amnesty and unconditional pardon to all persons who have directly or indirectly participated in the commission of offences associated with militant activities in the Niger Delta;

2. The pardon shall take effect upon the surrender and handing over of all equipment, weapons, arms and ammunition and execution of the renunciation of Militancy Forms specified in the schedule hereto, by the affected persons at the nearest collection centre established for the purpose of Government in each of the Niger Delta States;

javascript:void(0);

3. The unconditional pardon granted pursuant to this proclamation shall extend to all persons presently being prosecuted for offences associated with militant activities; and

4. This proclamation shall cease to have effect from Sunday, 4th October 2009.

MADE UNDER MY HAND THIS __25th__ DAY OF_june__ 2009.

UMARU MUSA YAR’ADUA

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/Article.aspx?id=1927
Re: Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 by RICHIEBOI1(m): 10:40pm On Jun 25, 2009
the fed. govt. is yet to address the real problem of the niger delta. lets all see how this so called amnesty deal will play out in the coming months. angry
Re: Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 by CyberG: 4:15am On Jun 26, 2009
A thief signs 'amnesty' for the owners of the property he stole and is still stealing??

By the deadline of your phony 'amnesty'. . .hope you won't be crossing the line a dead man!
Re: Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 by Kobojunkie: 4:31am On Jun 26, 2009
amnesty? is that really how to solve the problem down in the niger delta?
Re: Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 by Tudor6(f): 6:26am On Jun 26, 2009
This is a joke. The militants should better not get caught. Amnesty or no amnesty the nigerian police will disfigure you.
Re: Amnesty Proclamation Pursuant To Section 175 by blacksta(m): 6:54am On Jun 26, 2009
blacksta:

Whereas the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria acknowledges that the challenges of the Niger Delta arose mainly from the inadequacies of previous attempts at meeting the yearnings and aspiration of the people, and have set in motion machinery for the sustainable development of the Niger Delta States;

Whereas certain elements of the Niger Delta populace have resorted to unlawful means of agitation for the development of the region including militancy thereby threatening peace, security, order and good governance and jeopardising the economy of the nation;

Whereas the Government realises that many of the militants are able-bodied youths whose energies could be harnessed for the development of the Niger Delta and the nation at large;

Whereas the Government desires that all persons who have directly or indirectly participated in militancy in the Niger Delta should return to respect constituted authority; and

Whereas many persons who had so engaged in militancy now desire to apply for and obtain amnesty and pardon.

NOW THEREFORE, I, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, after due consultation with the council of States and in exercise of the powers conferred upon me by the provisions of Section 175 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, make the following proclamation:

1. I hereby grant amnesty and unconditional pardon to all persons who have directly or indirectly participated in the commission of offences associated with militant activities in the Niger Delta;

2. The pardon shall take effect upon the surrender and handing over of all equipment, weapons, arms and ammunition and execution of the renunciation of Militancy Forms specified in the schedule hereto, by the affected persons at the nearest collection centre established for the purpose of Government in each of the Niger Delta States;

javascript:void(0);

3. The unconditional pardon granted pursuant to this proclamation shall extend to all persons presently being prosecuted for offences associated with militant activities; and

4. This proclamation shall cease to have effect from Sunday, 4th October 2009.

MADE UNDER MY HAND THIS __25th__ DAY OF_june__ 2009.

UMARU MUSA YAR’ADUA

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/Article.aspx?id=1927

This man is a failure - the above framework took forever to be written - And the so called 7 I DANGER still no framework 2 years after.

(1) (Reply)

How Rotimi Amaechi and other Nigerians Corrupted Ghana's 2008 Election / Isa Yaguda Back In Pdp / Nigeria: President Yar'adua Says He Is Happy With Militants Position.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.