Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

A Twist In The Tale (short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Twist In The Tale (short Story) (907 Views)

Twist Of Life / TWIST OF FATE By Olanrewaju Mobolaji / AJEGUNLE : The Tale From The Ghetto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Twist In The Tale (short Story) by iamsegsy(m): 10:36pm On Jan 24, 2016
This is my first story and it's a short one. I've always fantasize writing a story here on nairaland, and this is what I finally came up with for the moment.
comments and constructive criticism is welcomed.
I hope you'll enjoy it.

here is my wattpad profile link.
http://w.tt/1ZLGFhW

©iamsegsy

A bird whistled. I followed the sound.  I've for a long time been underneath the tree, the only sound I've heard in a while was the persistent chirping of the obnoxious bird that kept hovering above my head in the still hot afternoon. I would have laughed at myself if I wasn’t so worried about being too hot. I was sweating profusely on the concrete bench right in front of the science faculty in my school, and the little breeze that was coming from, only God knows where, just couldn't duel with the weird climate that engulfed the moment. My sweatshirt was already half soaked and It looked nasty on me. Anyone seeing me would conclude I had just had my bath with clothes on.

I was still stuck, expecting any of my friends to come. I tried to leave for my hostel but I was exhausted. I had managed to get here in the first place. We just concluded several hours of lecture without any break in between. I had to run out of the hall before the conclusion of the lecture. The hall had limited seat but the students were unlimited and I had to stand all through the lecture as a punishment for coming late. I was still sited helplessly under the tree when I began to cough and  my vision began to blur, I could barely feel my feet, my head was like it was floating. It was spinning and my parts felt shattered. It was not long when a soft grip meandered on my left shoulder and my parts seemed to have  become whole almost instantaneously. The touch was tender and it resonated cold shiver down my spine, my response to the unopposed stimuli was very sharp, I heaved a deep sigh and I could see clearer than an eagle. I almost had the shock of my life when I turned to see who just touched me.
My heart skipped a bit, icy blood rushed through my veins furiously and I almost jerked off balance. It was Sandra. Of all people Sandra was not the kind of person in my department that I had thought could come to talk to me and not to talk more touch me. My mouth hung still and my eyes wide open, but my brain was shut. It was when she'd finally say something did I come to senses.
"Hello" she muttered, in a low soft tone. Words skipped my tongue, as I did not know what to make of them. I tried hard to think of what to say and how best to reply her, but words failed, me.
"Hi", I finally mumbled after several seconds of delibrating on the perfect thing to say.
"can I sit" she inquired, already making her way to the spot beside me.
"Of C...ourse" I stuttered.
"my bad!, I should have asked her to sit before now" I thought.

Re: A Twist In The Tale (short Story) by iamsegsy(m): 10:37pm On Jan 24, 2016
Sitting this close to her was another thing I never expected, the hot ambience that had engulfed me minutes ago was now turning into cold shiver and I was beginning to freeze. When she was letting herself to the spot beside me, Sandra's hand had bruised my thigh, in that moment, hot blood ran furiously through my veins erupting a wild ecstasy in me, that I almost exploded.
This would go on record as the best moment of my life, at Least I thought it would, if  it goes on this way. At a glance there was a few seconds of awkwardness between us both, I was saying nothing and so she was.
Until she turned to face me. I paused for a deep sigh. I swear she was perfect, my eyes bored into her gentle brown ones as I gazed upon her rosy cheeks and silky curls, her pink lips matched the colour of her skin, chocolate brown. I couldn't help but Stare, and think about how gorgeous she looks. All the while I was doing a great job in suppressing the urge to bring out my phone to take a picture of her face, just her face alone to take with me and brag to my friends. The picture would have been the best and my only prove that I was with Sandra. That would have been a perfect caption. Just Looking at her could fill a hungry man, I kept staring dumbly at her till our eyes locked, there was a painful gulp down my throat, that I had to avert my gaze. Looking at her just made me feel more than the sum of my parts.
"Samuel" she said, after a moment of silence. The way the name crept out her mouth made my heart tingle, she had pronuced it in a soft hushed tone. The one that could bring a dead man back to life.
"Am I right"?, she inquired, raising a corner of her eye, I guess she wasn't even sure of what my name is.
"Yes" I replied, fighting every urge to add "dear" yet sounding sweet. I could feel she was just relieved.
"I've always wanted to talk to you about something", she said. Her French accent was real and sweet, I'd heard she was raised in France before coming to Nigeria, and she talked briskly too, and am sure she wasn't forming it, like the others who were only seeking attention. I wavered my gaze trying to sight any of my friends, I only wanted them to see us together. Just this moment.
"You mean you've always wanted to talk to me"?, I said placing my hand on my chest, trying not to look surprised. But my owl like eyes, the one that went out wild and a sheepish grin that aggressively graced my face, had did much to disinter my current state. I was surprised.
"Yes" she replied, with a smile plastered on her face. My heart raced faster than the normal velocity, and it almost fell off my chest. Seeing her smile was just another blessing.
"Hmm", trying to find something to say " what is it you want to tell me"? I asked, not sure if that was the right thing I ought to have said. My heart begin to pound louder in anticipation for her answer.
"You're a good guy you know"?, she said, her gaze still fixed on me. Though I was still alive but few seconds from now if she does not stop looking at me, I might just die. Sandra just looking at me with a smile plastered on her face, made me feel like am in another universe.
"Me", I tried not to look flattered, but my sheepish grin cheaply gave me up. "Yeah" she said almost immediately with a broad smile. I tried to control the intending urge to say; 'You're damn gorgeous!' but the words already flew out of my mouth. 'I'm sorry'. I said. 'I didn't mean........I meant I wasn't supposed to say that'. I said, stuttering. But she just smiled.

The smile seem not to leave her face, it engulfed the total circumference of her rosy cheeks that extended towards the area of her oval face. She looked blissful and I was still lost in admiration, I did not even know that she was already talking,
"Hey.....hey" she was saying, swirling her fingers across my face in to get my attention. "You there"?, she asked, "hmm..Yeah" I managed to mumble, regaining consciousness. "You got carried away, anything the problem"? She asked, "No problem", I said, "I'm sorry", Yet her voice was like music in my ears.
Re: A Twist In The Tale (short Story) by iamsegsy(m): 10:41pm On Jan 24, 2016
"Like I was saying before you got distracted, I've always wanted to talk to you about something" she was saying, this time her gaze was fixed on the leaf that perched on her skin from the lot that fell from the tree. My heart was beating fast and I could not fathom the expression on her face, her face seemed expressionless. "What could be on her mind"? I thought. "l hope you don't mind"?, "of course" I replied, "why would I even mind?' I thought.
"I know Tobi is your friend, am I right"? She inquired. "Y..........eah" I mumbled hesitantly, "What has Tobi got to do with this", I was thinking. Her gaze still on the leaf and the smile that was plastered on her face was beginning to fade from her face. Her gazed was paced sternly at me this time, I could tell she was serious. "I have always wanted to tell him", there was a short pause, ........."How much I liked him" she said slowly after a short pause. My face lit up with bewilderment, the weight of what she just said sank my heart, cacophony of distorted sounds rang through my head, at the resonating echo of what she just said. I made a heave of disappointment. None of us said anything for some seconds before she broke the silence "I know you're surprised" she said, "of course I am" I said smirkingly. I just had to act as if I was cool with it. so I concur with myself and faked a smile, "You mean you like Tobi", I asked stuttering, and you could sense the passive the scent of insincerity in way I just talked "Yes" she answered sheepishly, "wow"! I exclaimed, this is good, I said. Trying hard to hid my disbelief  I was only saying that to think of what to say, "Am sure he also likes you too" I muttered, "he's particularly fond of talking about you every now and then. I lied "You mean it"? She exclaimed, "Yeah" I muttered in disbelief, she was actually elated at the report of Tobi liking her. I could feel hot blood rushing through my veins. I felt awful. How was I supposed to know if Tobi even liked her. He never talked about her. I thought.
What got me annoyed was why she came to me instead of going straight to Tobi. I felt a thrust of anger, but I had to control it. I had lost interest immediately in whatever she has got to say, because I know it has got nothing to do with me anymore. The thought of her and Tobi together nauseated me.
"Sandra had taken control of my mind for several minutes ago only waiting to tell me about how much she's into my best friend. How awful".

She peered into her bag, digging different angles only to bring out a piece of paper  and a pen from her bag,  She settled to scribble something down on the plain sheet, soon the plain sheet was soon filled with blue ink, and from what I could see in what she had written, her hand writing looked like hell, a hectic opposite of what she looked like. "What could she had penned down"?, I wondered, "but it wasn't my concern anymore". I consoled myself. She streched it towards me gesturing me to take it, "I'm trusting you to deliver this safely to him" she said as she made to squeeze the piece gently in my hand the. Again I felt a tender alertness when our hands met, Cold shiver ravaged my body, the one that made me vibrated for seconds. The scent of blue ice body spray filled the air and I almost choked. I paused think, Blue ice was Tobi's favourite. I thought. I was still thinking about what was happening when I felt a rough rigid palm brush furiously against my right cheek, "wake up" I heard someone blared into my ears, It was loud and familiar, immediately I made a furious tug and for about five seconds my vision was blurry, I only saw blurred figures which seemed familiar. My back was stained with dust, that was probably because I had been laid on my back for some time. I took a voluminous grasp of oxygen to regain consciousness and balance my breath, "he's awake", I heard Jasper blared before the rest followed suite. "I felt wet, my sweatshirt had been soaked with several gallons of water.
I looked around searching for Sandra, but she wasn't anywhere near the tree. I looked up to Tobi, "Tobi" I mumbled.
"Yes am here", he said, "You passed out some minutes ago, I guess it was because of the heat" he said, and the others affirmed. "We've tried different things to restore you and yet you wouldn't succumb" Jasper was saying" but thank goodness you're alive". he concluded. "The heat" the heat was the last thing I felt before the gentle touch. I wondered, It was then I felt something in my hand. A paper. Yes the paper! I gestured to Tobi to take it. "What is this"? he asked, "She asked me to give it to you" I said. "Who?" Tobi asked, taking it and unfolding it to unveil what was written in  it, at a glance  he  made a loud hiss, "this is your test result", he said, "You scored two out of the twenty.
Re: A Twist In The Tale (short Story) by Mzbabytush(f): 11:21pm On Jan 24, 2016
Takes front seat
Re: A Twist In The Tale (short Story) by iamsegsy(m): 9:43pm On Jan 25, 2016
Mzbabytush:
Takes front seat
you're welcome.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Southy Needs Help With Pidgin English / Musings Of An Introvert: The First Time / Christopher Okigbo Celebrates His 86th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.