Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,830 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Lassa Fever: Anti-rat Campaigns Crash Garri Patronage — Investigation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lassa Fever: Anti-rat Campaigns Crash Garri Patronage — Investigation (426 Views)

Calabar Monorail In Perfect Condition But No Patronage – Tinapa MD / Christmas: Lagos Beer Parlour Operators Lament Low Patronage / London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lassa Fever: Anti-rat Campaigns Crash Garri Patronage — Investigation by quotequote: 7:39am On Jan 25, 2016
After several warnings by the Medical and Health Workers Union, Lagos State Council, to Lagos residents to avoid drinking cassava flakes commonly known as garri, in order to prevent Lassa fever, some garri sellers have complained of low patronage.
It will be recalled that Razak Adeofalade, the chairman of the union had over the weekend stated that house rats that cause Lassa fever are mostly in contact with garri, hence the need for campaign against drinking of the staple food.
“We will go into premises, market places and teach people the best practice of storing of food items from contacts with rodents. We are waging total war and that is: `War against rats,’ and that is what we are going to do to ensure we do not have another victim of Lassa fever in the state. We will also be telling them to ensure that their fruits and raw vegetables are properly washed if they must be consumed raw and cooked at the appropriate temperature,” Adefolade had said.
Checks by Lagos Metro in some popular markets in Lagos revealed that though garri is readily available, its patronage has dwindled.
Speaking with Lagos Metro, Mrs. Aina Olowofela, a garri and beans seller at Mile 12 Market, lamented bitterly about the sudden drop in purchase.
“I get my garri especially from Ondo State. My customers know that I sell quality garri. Ever since the government said people should stop drinking garri, the demand has reduced.
“I have customers all over the state. It is not as if they are not buying at all but people would rather buy the yellow one and make eba with it than buy the white and sour one.
“My prayer is that this Lassa fever would soon stop. Ebola came and went, so I believe that Lassa fever would also go or else it would spoil business for us,” she said.
Also commenting on the low sales, another garri seller who simply called herself Mama Agnes, called on the government to do something about the spread of Lassa fever.
“Since the government started campaigning against drinking garri, my business has suffered. Before now, I sell garri more than the other products like yam flour and wheat. But with the rate at which things are going, I pray this Lassa fever does not finish my business.
“I still drank from the garri yesterday and nothing happened to me. I believe people can only catch Lassa fever if they live in dirty environment,” she said.
Another foodstuff seller at the Binikonu Market in Ojota who declined to give her name, called on the government to help stop the spread of the disease.
“I have all sorts of rat killers in my shop. I always tell my customers this. Garri is the poor man’s food. The government should not discourage people as such. The fight against Lassa fever should cut across all types of food. Even the food we buy at our local canteen or eatery is not safe anymore,” she said
http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/lassa-fever-anti-rat-campaigns-crash-garri-patronage-%E2%80%94-investigation
Re: Lassa Fever: Anti-rat Campaigns Crash Garri Patronage — Investigation by quotequote: 7:40am On Jan 25, 2016
Garri don suffer be dat o
Re: Lassa Fever: Anti-rat Campaigns Crash Garri Patronage — Investigation by johnmartus(m): 8:34am On Jan 25, 2016
hmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Frozen Food Business / Partner Needed To Start a Primary School / Is Nigeria Running Out Of CASH?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.