Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency (644 Views)

APC Lists Criteria For Senate Presidential Candidate- Punch / 2015 Governorship; A Golden Opportunity Abia Southners Should Not Trivialize. By / I’ll Contest For Presidency In 2015 - Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency by nigeriaon(f): 1:50pm On Jun 26, 2009
WHY CANT WE USE GOVERNORSHIP AS ONE OF THE CRITERIA FOR CANDIDATES CONTESTING FOR PRESIDENCY IN NIGERIA

THIS TOPIC MIGHT GENERATE DIFFRENT VIEWS BUT I WANT US TO UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING

1. SUCH A CANDIDATE WOULD HAVE A LIST OF GOOD / BAD ACHIEVEMENTS TO HIS/ HER CREDIT WHICH WOULD BE THE STARTING POINT FOR THE SCREENING OF SUCH A PERSON.

2. WE WOULD HAVE LESS EFFECT OF GOD FATHERISM BECAUSE SUCH WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTICED DURING HIS / TENURE AS A GOVERNOR

RISKS

1. ALTHOUGH SUCH A PERSON MIGHT DECIDE TO SOW DURING HIS / HER GOVERNORSHIP TENURE JUST TO REAP AT THE PRESIDENCY LEVEL.

WELL I REALLY WANT UR VIEW ON THIS ONE
Re: Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency by nelly4(f): 2:03pm On Jun 26, 2009
@nigeriaon

u know its makes sense a bit what u are proposing but this i dont think will be very resourceful except for testing there performance which we all know is more or less likely to turn around overnyt,
Re: Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency by Fhemmmy: 2:05pm On Jun 26, 2009
This is one of the most useless thing i ever heard.
Nigeria has 36 govs at every point in time.
Nigerians that can be able to run for the presidency are more than that.
being a govt doesnt mean the person got into power by choice of people, but cld be by rigging.
I think they shd find a way to make the primary works and make sure it is all free and fair.
Re: Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency by vigasimple(m): 3:24pm On Jun 26, 2009
The isssue the poster is alluding to is track record and antecedent. In a society that things work properly, executive experence, as in a CEO of a state is a good starting point but must not be limited to it.

LEADERSHIP is the main criteria that we should be looking for whether you are a former Governor, Senator, house member etc as long as you have good leadership skills everything else will fall into places.

You can get the gist of my view by comparing and contrasting
YAR A'CLUELESS who is a governor of a state for 8 years who has no clue what he is doing or what he needs to do except Tv jingle of 7 POINTLESS AGENDA and VISIONLESS 2020.

Then compare that with OBAMA with barely 4 years of Senate experience but with a background of community service, and extraordinary leadership skills. He started a movement that have the whole world energised for his command of issues and engaging the next generation of Americans , and the youth all over the world.

The other problem we have in Nigeria apart from godfatherism, lack of leadership and dubious people is lack of good institutions. When you have a good , enduring institutions, it will matter not who is the President because the institutions will play a big role in shaping him/her.

Without good institutions in America, GW Bush will have fininsh that country (USA) completely rather than the near bankruptcy he left the country. He GW Bush is a fool but the systems and institutions did not let him wreck the whole country completely.
Re: Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Jun 26, 2009
Poster, make I laugh belle full before I begin with answering your post here !!!

ROFLMAO!!!! grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy

**** exhales****

Now, make I start.

Your current president was governor of a Katsina State for 8 solid years. During that time this man accomplished, in my opinion, next to nothing, BUT when he decided to run for the presidency, WE, the Nigerian people and media, created wonderful pictures of the man and what we believed he really accomplished during his time as governor. So, I am not sure what your are suggesting we do since it seems no different from what we already do and have done.

The Problem is WE the people have a way of rationalizing all their deeds, no matter how ridiculous and in the end, we end of always getting the short end of the stick.
Re: Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency by tpiah: 3:54pm On Jun 26, 2009
^^ not surprised.

same response to any topic.
Re: Governorship, A Criteria For Presidency by nonsom(m): 4:07pm On Jun 13, 2013
A criterion, not a criteria.

(1) (Reply)

Isa Yaguda Back In Pdp / Nigeria: President Yar'adua Says He Is Happy With Militants Position. / We Need To Start A "no Second Term For Yaradua Campaign"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.