Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here (54722 Views)

Inside China's Overnight High Speed Train You Sleep While Rolling Down The Track / New Lagos-Ibadan Railway: Rail Track Laying Commences (Photo) / High Speed Trains Arrive Nigeria Months After Inspection In China (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by anonimi: 3:43pm On Jan 26, 2016
Obiagelli:
Spanning from the Obasanjo
administration to present, an active
and efficient rail system has been
marred for a long time by
inefficiencies and corruption on a
massive scale. As since the contract
was awarded in the Obasanjo era

Just incase they missed it.

Obasanjo did NOT pay for it as with most contracts he awarded in his eight WASTED years.

...F A C T.. C H E C K ...

'Obasanjo and Atiku in 8 years built one UNIVERSITY each for themselves....Bells and ABTI.
They built NONE for Nigerians.

Jonathan and Sambo in 4 years built 14 (FOURTEEN) new universities for all Nigerians.
NONE for themselves.

NOTE: OBJ and ATIKU are now consultants/sponsors/piloters/members of APC....

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2023224_106334837960003637540871239247822158463153o_jpega322806fc65b78cc91e1dd619380fecb

Sourced from: https://www.nairaland.com/2146237/why...ive/4#30711260

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Osakah24(m): 3:43pm On Jan 26, 2016
ibotic:

...did you not read that this project
was started during Obasanjo's time
chekwu abiama o...
we ibos need to think
before we write.
bros I live in abuja,Infact I live in kubwa abuja,this railway was never started during obasanjo's tenure,awarded yes but it didn't start until GEJ took over.My friends house was marked for demolition by then el rufai but they couldn't pay compensation until GEJ came in,Paid everybody for His/Her property before demolition commenced.I'm not hating OBJ but this one na Oga Jona work.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Remii(m): 3:44pm On Jan 26, 2016
saint047:
First they impose ₦50 bank charge, then they increase price of Kerosene used only by the poor. Were they elected to change poverty into hardship?

All thanks to GEJ

why did GEJ enact the N50 law in 2014? Did you see anyone who bought N50 kero even when subsidized by previous govt?
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by BekeeBuAgbara: 3:44pm On Jan 26, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
Wailers, where are Jonathan's locomotive engines?
Where are the trains Fashola inspected in Canada some years ago?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by yemmight(m): 3:44pm On Jan 26, 2016
AceBeauti:
Thank you GEJ

Nigerians will forever be grateful to you.

Nigerians will be grateful? How many Nigerians Ace represent? You guys should use your brain resourcefully. Are you so blind that your mumu GEJ is the problem we are facing now. Ha. Lord have mercy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by trappatoni(m): 3:46pm On Jan 26, 2016
dollarathe:
gone are the days when you read comments here to brush up your ideas .... under ages now rule this platform called nairaland...they keep seeing things from tribal,religious and their selfish interest view...any small thing its PDP,APC,Christian,muslim,etc... this forum has lost it. Theo says sooo
some will not bother to read before commenting. Gej this pmb that, APC this PDP that.This project Was awarded during Obasanjo's administration.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by OvieYel(m): 3:47pm On Jan 26, 2016
thanking diz idiots for der responsibilities n duties makes me sick...why are Nigerians so stupid Jesus Christ!!! on no account should u thank a banker for banking ur money for u cuz u knw e makes profit with it...wake up guys... from a Bayelsan / anti-Nigeria ....
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by longayink: 3:47pm On Jan 26, 2016
Nigerdelra region is the first area the high speed train should have been first if Nigeria is a normal country.

Time is ticking away fast for new colonizers
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Osakah24(m): 3:48pm On Jan 26, 2016
jmichlins:
These trains are way too costly. We never get tubes and the costs run into millions of dollars imagine if we decide to get underground tubes. Anyway thank GOD for the one we get
Compared to Fashola and Amaechi's inconclusive rail projects,this one is actually cheaper.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by pharmagba: 3:48pm On Jan 26, 2016
AceBeauti:
Thank you GEJ

This comment shows how shallow we can be, what is the economic implication to the Nigerian Nation. Won't it have been wise from Lagos to Abuja with linkage to port harcourt.
The truth is this is Arch Namadi Sambo project not GEJ

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by scachy(m): 3:48pm On Jan 26, 2016
GEJ is the best we ever had.

Ur legacies are insurmountable. We ll forever remember you.

Zombies would start shouting Sai Zombie!! while their future has been mortgaged.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by anonimi: 3:51pm On Jan 26, 2016
BekeeBuAgbara:
Where are the trains Fashola inspected in Canada some ago?

Tinubu and Fashola have used our taxes, federal allocation and LOANS to play kalokalo aka Jeun soke, Jeun sapo wobiliki wobia.

Firefire:
Fellow Nairalanders, in response to Fashola comments below on not receiving enough support from the federal government to complete the Lagos light rail project.

[size=15pt]
"Fashola said all over the world, when cities and states build municipal rails like what Lagos is doing, their central governments support them morally and financially"[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/2120455/cant-complete-lagos-light-rail

Few months ago same Fashola said this:

[size=15pt]Lagos: How We Spent N160bn World Bank Loan on Light Rail Project[/size]

The Lagos State Government yesterday justified the N160 billion it borrowed from the World Bank, noting that the fund was channelled to finance its light rail (blue line) project.

However, the state government expressed disappointment at the progress of the project, which it said, was not executed as smoothly as possible, but was optimistic of its completion.

The state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, said this shortly after inspecting the light rail terminus at the Orile-Iganmu part of the state alongside some members of the state executive council.

Speaking with journalists, Fashola said the project would have been completed in another 12 months despite that the project execution was not as smooth and speedy as he wanted it.

The governor raised questions on the intention of the federal government for publishing the state debt profile in the recent time, wondering what could have informed the decision to make it public.

He said: “I think it was the Debt Management Office of the federal government that published the report that we have a debt of about N160billion. I do not know the intent of the publication.

“But if it was to inform the public, I think we have always kept the public informed anytime we borrow money. If there are other intentions behind that, only those who make the publication would know what the intentions are.

“But you see, when people talk about debt of a state like Lagos, they forget that after Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt and one other country, we have the fifth largest economy in Africa.

“When you are talking of about a billion naira debt to a population of over 21 million people; because if you are measuring the debt, you also have to measure the responsibility. Those are the things people keep in isolation.”

He, therefore, explained that the state government already “has in place, strategies to repay the loan. The federal government was in the know of the state’s decision to take the bond and it approved it.”

[size=15pt]He added that the truth “is that what they do not also say is that no state in Nigeria can borrow money outside, from any multilateral agencies without the approval of the federal government.[/size]

“What they did not say is that they approved it. No state can raise money by bond the way we have done without the federal government’s approval. [size=18pt]Both SEC and NSE are all federal regulatory agencies through which we must pass. If they said okay, it means there must be something good about the debt.
[/size]

“Our rating as a state is the same as that of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, BB minus-stable with a positive outlook. We are the only state in Nigeria that has that rating. The first bond that was taken during my first tenure has been paid; the first tranche has been paid.

“I think the second tranche will be settled around 2016 or 2017. We are already making provisions. The provisions that will be there will be in excess of what is needed,” the governor said

Fashola expressed satisfaction on the progress of the light rail project, though decried the petty delay that was encountered as a result funding, saying the project would have should have been completed in another 12 months.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-how-we-spent-n160bn-world-bank-loan-on-light-rail-project/188736/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by simpleseyi: 3:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
AceBeauti:
Thank you GEJ

Definitely, Dasuki Sambo is cursing him right now.
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Smitsam: 3:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
ibotic:

...did you not read that this project
was started during Obasanjo's time
chekwu abiama o...
we ibos need to think
before we write.
The past administration should take the glory it only takes good leadership to do wat the did..
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by jayriginal: 3:54pm On Jan 26, 2016
AceBeauti:
Thank you GEJ

This is why it is important to read.

From the OP

The rail project was supposedly completed in December 2014, but was never delivered. And even if the delivery is 15 months later than expected, it is good news that it finally works considering the fact that it has spanned nearly four administrations.
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by 2n2k(m): 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2016
anonimi:

Obasanjo did NOT pay for it as with most contracts he awarded in his eight WASTED years.

It was financed by Chinese loan which Obj negotiated but was initially jettisoned by Yardua govt before good reason prevailed.

Obj govt started the loan negotiation with Chinese in 2002 because the revenue available to his govt then was minimal. Oil was around $20 then. By 2006/2007 when the contract was eventually signed with the Chinese, oil was around $50/60 but he was committed to other projects by then and didn't see the reason not to allow the loan financing to go ahead. Yardua that took over in 2007 thought differently and suspended the contract.

GEJ reinstated the contract with the loan financing even with oil price at over $110.

No need gloating. Let us just thank God that the project was delivered by whoever govt.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by ufotty2001: 3:57pm On Jan 26, 2016
AceBeauti:
Thank you GEJ

God almighty bless u 1million times
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by RichYoungNigga: 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2016
If anyone can define what a light speed train is and how it works, you win $1000

I'm serious.
Also, tell us if it runs with fuel or electricity
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by bobby56(m): 4:00pm On Jan 26, 2016
Obiagelli:
Spanning from the Obasanjo
administration to present, an active
and efficient rail system has been
marred for a long time by
inefficiencies and corruption on a
massive scale. As since the contract
was awarded in the Obasanjo era

Just incase they missed it.
Chairman, forget the LIES of your TASK MASTER. That project was carried out during Jonathan's regime but your Propagandish Leaders will not want you to know that. I personally witnessed this project because I was in Kaduna then. First, it was refurbishment and changing of Old rails that leads to Kano, before building of new RAILS along the EASTERN BY-PASS that leads to ABUJA (which is now called the KAD-ABUJA rail road). So stop being in the dark. If you doubt me go there yourself and ask, where is eastern by pass and you would see the new rail system built by the able, amiable and God-fearing President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. Get that fact today.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by phemmie06(m): 4:01pm On Jan 26, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
The person who wrote this shiity stuff haven't traveled out of Nigeria.
I live in the US and i have an uninterrupted electricity for 11 years, i haven't seen the lights go off.

Do you know how light speed trains work ??
They use electricity.

Now, i have a few questions for you.
Have you enjoyed uninterrupted electricity for straight 2 weeks ??
How will the train run without electricity ?? I guess it will run with some magical powers.

Ignorant people
One day cars will run on water, so one day light speed trains will run on air
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by anonimi: 4:02pm On Jan 26, 2016
2n2k:
It was financed by Chinese loan which Obj negotiated but was initially jettisoned by Yardua govt before good reason prevailed.

Obj govt started the loan negotiation with Chinese in 2002 because the revenue available to his govt then was minimal. Oil was around $20 then. By 2006/2007 when the contract was eventually signed with the Chinese, oil was around $50/60 but he was committed to other projects by then and didn't see the reason not to allow the loan financing to go ahead. Yardua that took over in 2007 thought differently and suspended the contract.

GEJ reinstated the contract with the loan financing even with oil price at over $110.

No need gloating. Let us just thank God that the project was delivered by whoever govt.

Thanks for the highlighted nuggets of truth in your post.
Point of correction though- Niger Delta crude oil prices were highest during Yar'Adua's administration and the Turai CABAL made off like bandits while her husband was wasting away in Saudi Arabia

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by lwise(m): 4:03pm On Jan 26, 2016
Give us high speed rail from Lagos to Ibadan,Lagos to Abeokuta and see how Lagos will be decongested.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by jmichlins(m): 4:03pm On Jan 26, 2016
Osakah24:
Compared to Fashola and Amaechi's inconclusive rail projects,this one is actually cheaper.
i never mentioned names and may i remind you that OBJ initiated the project not GEJ.
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Ephemmm: 4:04pm On Jan 26, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
THEY WONT BLAME JONATHAN FOR THIS DEVELOPMENT, BUT IF IT IS THE OTHER WAY ROUND THEY WOULD WAIL TILL THY KINGDOM COME?

Was it not the same GEJ's administration that said we cannot afford a new train because Nigeria is not America in March: you need to wake up from your slumber.

Here is the link - http://gistpartner.com/2015/03/09/nigeria-is-not-americawe-cannot-afford-new-trains-doyin-okupe/
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by luthorcorp: 4:04pm On Jan 26, 2016
Good!!! At least there would be much petroleum for other uses...
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 26, 2016
meshacha1:
We know who initiated it "just as Rome was not built in a day",so let's honour who revived railway in Nigeria GEJ.
No amount of propaganda can erase or cover the good effort of a hero GEJ

If GEJ had still remain, maybe by now all the railways would have been effective and refinery which he started would have began its full function and maybe 1$ wouldnt have been 305 naira. Agriculture would have been our bed rock.

Actually if GEJ had remained ,the naira would still be where it is at now.....because of the fall in international oil prices. Infact the current fall in the Naira started during the last year of GEJ's regime

Also....we were still miles away from being a strong agric power....we had only gotten up to No 5 in cocoa production,we are still far behind Malaysia and indonesia in palm oil producition(the two of them produce 80% of the palm oil in the world....we used to be that country forty years ago)....and groundnut and cotton are still not there. Then there is the fact that most of the farming done in Nigeria is still done on small scale subsistence farming....we do not have enough large scale farms.And how is Nigeria doing in animal husbandry?
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Osakah24(m): 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2016
AlmuFty01:
having good plan is one thing ability and good will to deliver it is another, all past administrations might be at the mercy of delivering this landmark project but lacking good will.
PMB i guess with his body language is about to do it again.
GOVERNMENT IS A CONTINUM.
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by kachnov(m): 4:07pm On Jan 26, 2016
Cool... This is a good one.

Visit my signature.
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by RichYoungNigga: 4:07pm On Jan 26, 2016
phemmie06:

One day cars will run on water, so one day light speed trains will run on air

What's the years the op said the train will start running from Kaduna to Abuja ??
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by jaybee(f): 4:10pm On Jan 26, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
THEY WONT BLAME JONATHAN FOR THIS DEVELOPMENT, BUT IF IT IS THE OTHER WAY ROUND THEY WOULD WAIL TILL THY KINGDOM COME?

That it took the grace of APC to complete the first ever standard gauge rail line, started by PDP in its 16 years of national mismanagement is not a cause for any glory to GEJ in particular or PDP in general.
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 26, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
If anyone can define what a light speed train is and how it works, you win $1000

I'm serious.
Also, tell us if it runs with fuel or electricity

Well....the technical definition of a high speed railway is....

While there is no single standard that applies worldwide, new lines in excess of 250 km/h and existing lines in excess of 200 km/h are widely considered to be high-speed, with some extending the definition to include much lower speeds (e.g. 160 km/h) in areas for which these speeds still represent significant improvements.[1]

So...Nigerian authorities exaggerate when they say our 120-150km is high speed.(It certainly is not the Shinkansen!)

Still...even then,there are high speed trains that consume fuel(very few....but they exist!)

Very few high-speed trains consume diesel or other fossil fuels but the power stations that provide electric trains with power can consume fossil fuels
Re: Nigeria’s First Ever High-speed Rail Is Finally Here by Osakah24(m): 4:14pm On Jan 26, 2016
jmichlins:
i never mentioned names and may i remind you that OBJ initiated the project not GEJ.
You are wrong,the one OBJ initiated was actually terminated by Umaru Yaradua,GEJ resurrected the project and should be commended.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Deputy Vice-Chancellor, His Son And 4 Die In Lagos/Ibadan Accident / Massive Jubilation As First Flight Lands In Ebonyi International Airport (Pix) / Bus Loaded With Passengers Fell Into Gully Erosion In Imo State: Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.