Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port (16237 Views)

Nigeria: Report - Nigeria Loses 72 Percent Internet Revenue To Us / Freighting Of Cargoes Rises By 10%, Says NAHCO Chief / Militants Destroy Trans-niger Pipeline, Nigeria Loses 150,000bpd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by omohj: 8:49pm On Jan 26, 2016
Your Father!!!
surrogatesng:
Is APC the cause?
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by omohj: 8:53pm On Jan 26, 2016
U mumu well well... now dey take a to cotonou port and bring it in through our borders... who is now fooling who?... u wanna stop importation when we are yet to create an alternative way of producing them in naija... u feel reduction in importation will bring about increased exportation.. which school u even go sef...? Guy a use ur brain and stop speaking big big grammer
clintwine:
It is not necessarily a bad development, its actually a good one and working
It means that Imports are almost halving, now we can look at increasing our exports and boosting our economy with locally made things
It is silly that we were importing toothpicks

we should be looking at 50% reduction in imports and 50% increase in exports
that way we would have a stronger economy and stop depleting the foreign reserves

now that we know the items are being diverted to Cotonou, the government should deploy more custom officers towards that border
and make sure that we get every revenue from legal items coming in from that end
every illegal item should be confiscated and sent to IDP camps and displaced people, then the rest auctioned to families with less than a certain household income

Change means that we have to adjust and make some scarifies for the betterment of our collective tomorrow, nobody said it will be easy
Let us start thinking of what we can export and sell,

Before someone says locally made items are sub-standard,
we said that about Chinese items many years ago, now see how strong they have grown and the quality of items they are producing

Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by ibedun: 8:59pm On Jan 26, 2016
xandy84:
He did made lot of senses but reduction on import duties will only worsen our economy. How would the government finance the budget when all forms of revenue is gone. Record time low in crude oil price, reduction in importation necessarily bring about reduce taxes.

And where do we get dollar from once our reserve is depleted? If you lose your job would you continue spending like before? If you do what will happen when your savings run out?
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by Eluwilussit(m): 9:26pm On Jan 26, 2016
Sunbellar:
Buhari has succeeded in killing the economy!

A second time! angry
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by grandstar(m): 9:45pm On Jan 26, 2016
ibedun:

Useless fool. How are we going to replace the depleted dollar? Your advice will only lead the country to the IMF and they will devalue your currency and your worth (hence doom). Generational poverty!

If you want to consume foreign stuff go find your own dollar.

Never insult.

Your understanding of economics is poor.

The naira is heading to 400 year end if not worse. Cant you see the naira has been devalued already?
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by grandstar(m): 10:06pm On Jan 26, 2016
omohj:
U mumu well well... now dey take a to cotonou port and bring it in through our borders... who is now fooling who?... u wanna stop importation when we are yet to create an alternative way of producing them in naija... u feel reduction in importation will bring about increased exportation.. which school u even go sef...? Guy a use ur brain and stop speaking big big grammer

Most people hsve a zero grasp of economics.

The Economist stated thst protectionism has failed to industrialise the country. Instead of the. governmemt to bring down the cost of manufacturing things here, it uses amsteurish snd bankrupt policies which cause untold damaga.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 26, 2016
clintwine:
It means that Imports are almost halving, now we can look at increasing our exports and boosting our economy with locally made things

that way we would have a stronger economy and stop depleting the foreign reserves

now that we know the items are being diverted to Cotonou, the government should deploy more custom officers towards that border
and make sure that we get every revenue from legal items coming in from that end
every illegal item should be confiscated and sent to IDP camps and displaced people, then the rest auctioned to families with less than a certain household income

Change means that we have to adjust and make some scarifies for the betterment of our collective tomorrow, nobody said it will be easy

we said that about Chinese items many years ago, now see how strong they have grown and the quality of items they are producing

I laugh when I read post like this. You want to export?

Where is the raw material to do the manufacturing? You dey voke the goods?

Manufacturers are the ones complaining the most. No money to buy raw material, you dey talk manufacturing.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by millhouse: 1:06am On Jan 27, 2016
Destined2win:
Honestly, it is really hard times for importers in Nigeria. The prices of commodities have sky-rocketed.

But be of good cheer for I shall lead this nation to peace and abundance when I become President.

So Help Me God!
amen
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by BraniacX(m): 1:39am On Jan 27, 2016
AlmuFty01:
It quite commendable for FG to take this bold step many of us might not aware of the good side but very soon this country will regain her lost glory.
Is high time to do cultivate habit of consuming locally produced commodities and do way with those we can not produce for the time being, allowing foreign country uses our dear country as dumping ground is no more.
Virtually across all streets in Lagos there present was OKRIKA joints where all residents hand picked various dressing ranged from, shirt, skirt, trousers, belt, bags and nails...... Name it all are TOKUNBO.
This always pisses me off and posed danger of shaking OKIRIKA human being unaware.
Must me continue like this as a nation? When are we going to be proud of our own makings? When are we going to stop wearing ALOKU OYINBO and still paraded ourselves as big boys/girls, when our celebrities will stop living large in OKIRIKA attires when and when are we going to get it right in this country?

what do you manufacture? undecided

P.S pure water doesn't count

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by AmeLonRo(m): 2:15am On Jan 27, 2016
But Nigeria is not just starting on the losing spree. What they ban, Cotonou allows and then they start pursuing those who are bringing it in via Cotonou. Lets wake up and allow all to come in via our waters and make it cheap and legit. Then provide adequate and competitive edge for our local producers and manufacturers to do theirs and at lower prices. Once what is produced within is at lower prices and better than the imported no one will go for the imported again and naturally people will not import. But the moment there is no production and manufacturing within to meet demand and you keep banning. then you create room for smugglers!
painful but true. If you are cose to the policy makers tell them and send me a mail so I can get my cheque. I will give you 20%. thank me later! grin
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by saintmark88(m): 2:40am On Jan 27, 2016
clintwine:

Your reply says it all, for all those ignoramus saying this is bad news, pls read this...some people do not know that importation is one of the things killing our economy....
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by nobilis: 5:25am On Jan 27, 2016
grandstar:

You will be disappointed.

Countries don't grow rich by being self sufficient but by focusing resources where you have comparative advsntage.

Look at whst the oil industry has done for Nigeria. Imagine if the country had 4 industries like that.

The more you open up your country the richer you become.Countries thst try to be self sufficient tend to be associated with poverty and not wealth. A good example is India but it hsd repented.

Imports have never bern the counyry's problem. It is thay the country does not export

U seem to yourself that you're making sense but you're actually making no sense.
You don't even know the implications of what you're saying.

What did the oil industry do for Nigeria?
Whatever it is that oil, did the oil do it by being imported or by being exported?

Nigeria grew "rich" by exporting oil. So other industries that you're talking about have to be export industries, right?

Imports have never been Nigeria's problem??
How will local production thrive if import is the mainstay of a nation's consumerism?
The more you open up ur country the richer u become. I agree. But is it the more u open ur country to imports or is it the more u open up ur country's local and quality production for the world to see?

Let's look at some rich countries.
How many items does the US import?
How many items does China import?
How many items does Singapore import?
How many items does Japan import?
How many items does Germany import?

You're here talking trash.

Nigeria imports toothpick, pencils, meter rules.
Infact, Nigeria imports virtually everything.
So how is importation not Nigeria's problem?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by nobilis: 5:31am On Jan 27, 2016
AmeLonRo:
But Nigeria is not just starting on the losing spree. What they ban, Cotonou allows and then they start pursuing those who are bringing it in via Cotonou. Lets wake up and allow all to come in via our waters and make it cheap and legit. Then provide adequate and competitive edge for our local producers and manufacturers to do theirs and at lower prices. Once what is produced within is at lower prices and better than the imported no one will go for the imported again and naturally people will not import. But the moment there is no production and manufacturing within to meet demand and you keep banning. then you create room for smugglers!
painful but true. If you are cose to the policy makers tell them and send me a mail so I can get my cheque. I will give you 20%. thank me later! grin

Please, what is ur highest level of education?
How on earth is it possible that locally produced goods will ever be cheaper than imported goods?
There us a reason imported goods are always cheaper than locally manufactured goods. So that it can compete with and destroy the market for locally produced goods and so keep the demand for importation high to the detriment of local production.

If imported goods are not banned, the drive for local production will virtually be non-existent. Because they cannot compete with imported goods.

Educate urself properly before making comments.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by Nobody: 6:35am On Jan 27, 2016
jmichlins:
education does not mean sense so while you parade degree cum stupidity, do not mention me again

Words of a loser... ignorance is more expensive.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by AmeLonRo(m): 6:44am On Jan 27, 2016
nobilis:

How on earth is it possible that locally produced goods will ever be cheaper than imported goods?
There us a reason imported goods are always cheaper than locally manufactured goods. So that it can compete with and destroy the market for locally produced goods and so keep the demand for importation high to the detriment of local production.

If imported goods are not banned, the drive for local production will virtually be non-existent. Because they cannot compete with imported goods.

Leave my level of education aside and lets iron things out logically and critically. In the US, chicken is very cheap because of the improvement to the poultry farming technology used. If Nigeria can do same for poultry and a full chicken produced locally sells for N500 while the imported one sells for N700. Its only a matter of time people will go for the local one. What am driving at is that the energy and resources put into running after Okrika importers, chicken importers can be used to produce this goods locally.
The moment customs seize goods well especially frozen foods, do you observe that the prices go up locally. Why? the local supply cant meet the demand and price go up. And the government have no answer to that except that the citizens should pay more! This makes the demand for the contraband to rise.
Hope you get my point?
Thank me later!
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by northvietnam(m): 6:48am On Jan 27, 2016
saintmark88:

Your reply says it all, for all those ignoramus saying this is bad news, pls read this...some people do not know that importation is one of the things killing our economy....

wrong, the thing killing our economy is lack of production .

bad road
no light
no raw materials for production.

Even paint producers use imported chemicals for production since we can't produce em.

And do you know Nigeria still import petroleum products since we can't refine.

increase productivity and importation will die a natural death.

the only thing Nigeria export in large quantity is Nolly wood / The Nigerian musics. why because we have production in abundance...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by AmeLonRo(m): 6:55am On Jan 27, 2016
nobilis:

Yes sir! Your statement "How on earth is it possible that locally produced goods will ever be cheaper than imported goods?" got me thinking.
So if Nigeria produce Adire it will be more expensive than imported Adire?
So Nigerian cocoa will be more expensive than imported cocoa?
So Nigerian groundnut will be more expensive than imported groundnut?
So Nigerian crude oil will be more expensive than imported crude crude oil?
So Aba made goods will be more expensive in Aba than elsewhere?
And from your idiotic analogy, all the Tokunbo cars sold at Cotonou or Apapa ports are cheaper at the ports than the countries from which they were brought in. Wake up guy!

I hope you did economics and were taught about the benefits of "Localisation of Industries". The locality where the industry is located will get the goods at cheaper rates as the cost of transporting somewhere else for sale will be off.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by fuckerholic(m): 7:33am On Jan 27, 2016
clintwine:

APC e-warrior alert
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by jmichlins(m): 8:45am On Jan 27, 2016
Closedoor:

Words of a loser... ignorance is more expensive.
a sore loser is someone who finds it difficult to realize that the election is gone, done and dusted. wisdom is priceless which you lack well and sadly you can never get it not until you change
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by murmee: 9:16am On Jan 27, 2016
If a country' s economy is good, it means the Customs force of that country is efficient and effective. The first thing that most countries that have developed do is to close their borders to importation of items that can be produced locally. The reason why that policy has always failed in Nigeria is because we have the MOST corrupt Customs in the world. All the importations through Cotonue couldn't have succeeded with a patriotic Customs service.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by nobilis: 9:33am On Jan 27, 2016
AmeLonRo:

Yes sir! Your statement "How on earth is it possible that locally produced goods will ever be cheaper than imported goods?" got me thinking.
So if Nigeria produce Adire it will be more expensive than imported Adire?
So Nigerian cocoa will be more expensive than imported cocoa?
So Nigerian groundnut will be more expensive than imported groundnut?
So Nigerian crude oil will be more expensive than imported crude crude oil?
So Aba made goods will be more expensive in Aba than elsewhere?
And from your idiotic analogy, all the Tokunbo cars sold at Cotonou or Apapa ports are cheaper at the ports than the countries from which they were brought in. Wake up guy!

I hope you did economics and were taught about the benefits of "Localisation of Industries". The locality where the industry is located will get the goods at cheaper rates as the cost of transporting somewhere else for sale will be off.

LOL.
Indeed you are wise. So how many of those products u mentioned are actually being imported by Nigeria.
Why not use workable examples like the products that are actually being imported.
For example:
1. Rice:
Read the interview granted to Daily Trust by a Rice farmer: http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/-nigeria-depended-on-imported-rice-for-too-long/107569.html

2. Cars:
The import duties on cars had to be reviewed upwards (that is, increased) so as to eliminate competition with local cars because without that, the cost of imported cars will be less than that of locally manufactured cars. Read this article by Nigerian Trade Hub: http://www.nigeriatradehub.gov.ng/News/tabid/98/entryid/83/fg-raises-tariff-on-imported-cars.aspx

3. Frozen Chicken:
It was actually the ban on imported frozen chicken that led to high prices of Frozen chicken in Nigeria. But even at that, it is still less costly that an equivalent amount of live chicken and the importation of frozen chicken is actively endangering our local poultry farming. Read the following article:
https://www.wealthresult.com/2014/07/how-to-know-if-frozen-chicken-is-good.html

Should I go on?
When u were taught Localisation of Industries in economics, I hope u were also taught that all things must be ceteris paribus before it works that way. Did ur teacher explain to you what happens when there are imported alternatives to your local products?

I am idiotic and u are wise.
Mr Wisdom, clap for yourself.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by nobilis: 9:38am On Jan 27, 2016
This is a list of the top items that Nigeria imports:

http://www.countryaah.com/Top_Products_Imported_by_Nigeria.html

Now please tell me which other country with a wonderful economy imports as much goods as these.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
jmichlins:
a sore loser is someone who finds it difficult to realize that the election is gone, done and dusted. wisdom is priceless which you lack well and sadly you can never get it not until you change

Pfft! Wisdom is priceless? Coming from someone who mentioned education doesn't make sense? Stop contradicting yourself boy.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by clintwine(m): 2:30pm On Jan 27, 2016
fuckerholic:

APC e-warrior alert

With your username, I won't waste my breathe on you
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by AmeLonRo(m): 2:41pm On Jan 27, 2016
nobilis:

LOL.
Indeed you are wise. So how many of those products u mentioned are actually being imported by Nigeria.
Why not use workable examples like the products that are actually being imported.
For example:
1. Rice:
Read the interview granted to Daily Trust by a Rice farmer: http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/-nigeria-depended-on-imported-rice-for-too-long/107569.html

2. Cars:
The import duties on cars had to be reviewed upwards (that is, increased) so as to eliminate competition with local cars because without that, the cost of imported cars will be less than that of locally manufactured cars. Read this article by Nigerian Trade Hub: http://www.nigeriatradehub.gov.ng/News/tabid/98/entryid/83/fg-raises-tariff-on-imported-cars.aspx

3. Frozen Chicken:
It was actually the ban on imported frozen chicken that led to high prices of Frozen chicken in Nigeria. But even at that, it is still less costly that an equivalent amount of live chicken and the importation of frozen chicken is actively endangering our local poultry farming. Read the following article:
https://www.wealthresult.com/2014/07/how-to-know-if-frozen-chicken-is-good.html

Should I go on?
When u were taught Localisation of Industries in economics, I hope u were also taught that all things must be ceteris paribus before it works that way. Did ur teacher explain to you what happens when there are imported alternatives to your local products?

I am idiotic and u are wise.
Mr Wisdom, clap for yourself.

Idiotic simply means unintelligent. You first mentioned "level of education" in your initial response. No qualms, we are here to share ideas, no fighting intended! I still stand however by my initial assertions. That is there is the need to empower and encourage local producers/manufacturers. Thats the most effective and efficient way about it.
Re: Nigeria Loses 50% Cargoes To Cotonou Port by fuckerholic(m): 5:14pm On Jan 27, 2016
clintwine:

With your username, I won't waste my breathe on you
What have you just done ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NASCO Expands, Opens New Production Line In Jos / Skye Bank Takes Over Obat Oil Over N1.5bn Debt / Understanding Bank Lending

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.