Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,741 members, 7,831,363 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series (848 Views)

2017 Budget: The Aso Rock Budget That Deserves Your Attention by Saatah Nubari / Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series - Ministry Of Defence / Saatah Nubari: Budget Series – The Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by erunz(m): 6:00pm On Jan 26, 2016
by Saatah Nubari

Welcome to piece number seven in the #SaatahBudgetSeries. If this is the first piece you are reading, I will advise that you find theprevious six articles in this series and peruse them with all seriousness — you need to know what the Nigerian government will spend money on.

Today, we will be taking a look at the budget for the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology. But before I proceed, let me first make known the agencies/institutions that fall under this Ministry: Ministry of Communication Technology HQTRS, Nigeria Communication Satellite, and the Nigerian Postal Service (NIPOST).

FEDERAL MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY

The total budget for the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology is 15,997,128,516; 9,917,128,516 is for “Recurrent Expenditure” and 6,080,000,000; is for “Capital Expenditure.”

1,000,500,000 is what the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology has budgeted to spend on “Purchase of Office Furniture and Fittings.” I am still trying to understand this particular item, but let us compare notes. According to documents available to me, former Governor Rotimi Amaechi budgeted 9,837,700,000 for the construction of 485 Model Primary Schools when he governed Rivers State (only 116 were completed). Now if we break down this figure, we will see that 1,000,500,000, the amount the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology will spend on office furniture can get us almost 60 Model Primary Schools (based on what Amaechi budgeted while he was Governor). A look at the budget for the Federal Ministry of Power/Works and Housing also shows that they will construct one skills acquisition centre for 172,623,767, so how many skills acquisition centres can we get with the 1,000,500,000 the people at the Ministry of Communication Technology budgeted for “Office Furniture and Fittings”? I will leave you to answer that question.

Apart from the 1,000,500,000, the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology will also spend 152,601,423 to “Rehabilitate/Repair Office Buildings.” I will suggest that they build an entirely new Ministry building since they have decided to be parochial in their thinking.

9,301,486 is set aside for the “Rehabilitation/Repairs of Boundaries.” This particular item got me pretty confused. Does “Boundary” there mean our territorial boundary, or their office boundary? Or is it a new communication technology term? I would really love to know, because it seems the people at the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology don’t know the boundary between a joke and a National budget.

The ministry will spend the sum of 8,000,000 to “Present a Masterplan to the Federal Executive Council” while another 19,480,500 will be spent on the “Media Conference on the Masterplan.” You would think I am making these absurdities up, but far from it, these items are in our budget.

2,916,001,226 will be spent on (please don’t laugh) “Procurement of the Equipment and its Accessories.” Firstly, what “the Equipment” is being referred to here? What are the “Accessories”? They failed to make this known, but yet appended the lump sum of 2,916,001,226 to this unknown equipment and its accompanying accessories.

37,994,900 will be for “Concrete and Block Works.” This particular item is so funny that I cannot help but suspect that a marketer from Dangote Cement, who has been given a target for cement sales sneaked into the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology to put that in. We are definitely not a serious country.

17,750,000 is for the “Administration/Supervision of the Work.” The 2016 budget should be a case study of “How not to disgrace a country.” What “Work” will need supervision? And even if it needs supervision, what are the people earning salaries at the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology earning salary for, shouldn’t that be someone’s job? What is this “work” in the first place? This is an insult to our sensibilities, to be honest.

4,218,010 is for “Block Works.” “Fellow Nigerians,” at this point, I will urge the Federal Government to investigate Dangote, there are just too many “Blocks” in this budget.

“Finishing” will cost 80,310,392. And just when I thought we had finished with everything that had to do with “finishing,” I saw another 1,083,476 for yet another “Finishing.” Like Jesus said at the cross, “it is finished” or if I may paraphrase, we are finished!

832,800 is for “Supervision of the Work,” another 381,600 for “Supervision of the Work,” yet another 2,064,000 for “Supervision of the Work,” and yet another 1,231,600 for “Supervision of the Work.” Don’t forget that I brought to your attention earlier the sum of 17,750,000 also meant for “Administration/Supervision of the Work.”

I think we have gotten to the most insensitive, callous, disgraceful and out rightly stupid part of the budget for the Federal Ministry of Communication Technology. 585,000,000 will be spent on the “Purchase of Chairs,” while another 415,500,000 will be used to “Purchase Tables.” I really do not have much to say about these particular items. I actually feel bad for the people of the Niger Delta; the people whose resources will be exploited to fund this budget, the people whose environment will be degraded to the barest survivable state. It is from that money, pain and suffering that 1,000,000,000 (One billion Naira) will be used to “Purchase Tables and Chairs.”

The Nigeria Communication Satellite will spend 318,009,860 for the “Provision of Broadband Internet Services to the National Assembly.” I do not see anything that makes this particular item sensible or necessary. The National Assembly (as useless as they have been) do not deserve internet connection. They can and should continue using the “suggestion boxes” they commissioned. With a budget of 115,000,000,000, I think the National Assembly should pay for their own “Internet Services,” that is if they even know what the “internet” is.

6,694,205,844 is the entire budget for NIPOST and all of it will be spent on “Salaries and Wages.” I would love to know how much revenue NIPOST generates.

We have come to the end of the seventh part of this budget analysis series, and as painful as it is to go through these insulting provisions, I will still have to leave you with a little in-between: The National Lottery Trust Fund will spend 500,600,000 for the “Acquisition of Land for Office Building.” That is what I call a jackpot. Have a wonderful day!

Follow this writer on Twitter: @Saatah
http://www.thescoopng.com/ministry-of-communication-technology/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 26, 2016
This bdget has been a total disappointment going by detailed breakdown.
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by Adminisher: 7:11pm On Jan 26, 2016
Obiagelli:

Yet that is so because the FG brought out zero based budgeting which is as transparent as you see. Previous budgets were arbitrary.
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 26, 2016
Adminisher:

Yet that is so because the FG brought out zero based budgeting which is as transparent as you see. Previous budgets were arbitrary.
Does this explain all these overbloated figures?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by MansaMoussa: 7:28pm On Jan 26, 2016
I don tire for this Goment I swear.
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by vivalavida(m): 8:19pm On Jan 26, 2016
Where can I Gert the previous articles on this budget by this saatah?

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by free13: 9:17pm On Jan 26, 2016
#one chance ........ .. shocked

1 Like

Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by BishopMagic: 9:27pm On Jan 26, 2016
Buhari and his APC clowns have given us enough stones to stone them.
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by BishopMagic: 9:28pm On Jan 26, 2016
Adminisher:

Do you even understand the gibberish you just regurgitated with this senseless post?
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by JANK23H(m): 9:40pm On Jan 26, 2016
The idea is to divert attention with biased corruption cases, carry out extensive media trials while our common wealth is looted like never before.
You just have to give APC, going by the number of Zombies, they sure have mastered the art of deception.
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by obasiken: 9:43pm On Jan 26, 2016
My only problem is that the average layman on the street does not understand the budget. They cannot understand this write up and the massive deception it represents. That is why they are easily decieved .

Conduct a presidential election now and most northerners will still vote PMB.
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by hungryboy(m): 9:50pm On Jan 26, 2016
Almost 38million for just concrete and block works for one building?,
Money were don build two story building sef finish put furniture inside,
Abi na national stadium dem wan build?
All dis one were dem dey do,
In case dem wan follow share the money like Dasuki, my account number is always available oh
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by Ola17: 11:27pm On Jan 26, 2016
Obiagelli:
“Fellow Nigerians” the Federal Ministry of Interior has a budget for books. Err actually this isn’t a red flag, instead I find it beautiful, that since our President didn’t see reading as important enough to put it in his budget, others have decided to read. Now let’s begin the analysis in earnest. The Federal Ministry of Interior has a budget of 347,750,647 for the “Purchase of Computers.” In 2013, the Federal Ministry of Interior “Purchased Computers” worth 75,343,403. This year, they’ve taken their maddening wasteful spending 450% percent higher, to a towering 347,750,647. This is more than the total amount budgeted by the Ministry of Science and Technology on the same item for three years; 2014, 2015 and 2016.

The Federal Ministry of Interior has also appropriated the sum of 576,500,000 for the “Construction/Provision of Electricity.” I don’t know, but what I’ve deduced from that budget is that the Federal Ministry of Interior must have been operating with lanterns and candles since inception. Nothing else justifies the spending of such a huge amount of money. If you’re wondering what 576,500,000 can achieve, it’ll electrify 33 communities; 30 communities in Ondo and 3 communities in the FCT according to the budget of the National Rural Electrification Agency.
n 2014, the Federal Ministry of Interior budgeted 88,706,193 for the “Repair/Rehabilitation of Office Buildings,” while in the 2015 budget, it was 24,464,846. In the 2016 budget, the “Rehabilitation/Repairs Office Buildings,” that was done in 2104 and 2105, “elephantined” by almost 2500% to 595,606,148. Another thing I want you to know is that according to the 2014 budget, the Ministry of Interior building was damaged by a storm, and the 24,464,846 in the 2015 budget was for storm damaged rehabilitation, compare with the 595,606,148 in the 2016 budget.

The Federal Ministry of Interior will spend 6,200,000,000 on “Research and Development”. Firstly, that is more than the budget for the Ministry of Women Affairs, 3,974,395,038. To put this in perspective, 32 Agricultural Research Institutes and Colleges will spend a cumulative total of 4,411,236,320 on “Research and Development.”

The 2016 budget takes a very predictable trend. I have noticed that where the drafters of the budget don’t find creative ways to budget money that’ll probably end up in personal bank accounts; they put it under “Research and Development.” The Federal Ministry of Interior isn’t different in any away, everything about this budget smells of high level graft and the budget for “Research and Development” does more than prove this. The funny thing about this is that, when the items are broken down, the amount for “Research and Development” is only 200,000,000 and the bulk of the money, 6,000,000,000 ends up going to the “Special Intervention Fund for Police Formations and Command.” While the Police Formation and Command with a total budget of 300,100,330,698 didn’t give a breakdown of how it plans to spend its capital budget.

The Nigerian Prison Service has a budget of 3,519,266,507 for the “Construction/Provision of Prisons” and another 5,093,363,237 for the “Rehabilitation/Repairs of Prisons.” The problem here isn’t the amount budgeted for these items. Such huge sums have been budgeted over the years, but yet our prison system remains the same or sometimes gets worse than it was met. I hope these monies will be channelled and properly utilised.

I feel the funniest part of the budget for the Nigerian Prison Service is the part where 500,000,000 was budgeted for “Research and Development. “Further breakdown shows that that amount will actually be spent on “Capacity Building.” Talking of a real building, according to the budget of the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, we can spend that same amount to get 6 blocks of 3 classrooms.

The Nigerian Immigration Service will spend 200,000,000 to “Acquire Land.” It is an open secret that government doesn’t buy land, they “collect” and “pay compensation”. I’d love to know how they plan to spend the 200,000,000 set aside of that purpose or maybe they’re compensating an entire village.

2,120,000,450 is what the Nigerian Immigration Service will spend on “Security Equipment.” That’s an increase of over 800% from the 2014 budget for same item which stood at 258,000,000 and a 2500% increase from the 2015 budget where same item had a budget of 86,057,143.

The Nigerian Immigration Service spent 250,000,000 to “Construct Office Buildings” in 2014 and 133,302,386 in 2015. In the 2016 budget, the Nigerian Immigration Service changes the game; they have a budget of 1,301,229,706 for the same item. That’s an increase of over 400% from the 2014 budget and almost 1000% increase from the 2015 budget. There’s also a separate 500,000,000 that is meant for the “Rehabilitation/Repairs of Office Buildings.”

The Nigerian Immigration Service will also spend 450,000,000 for the “Provision of Solar Powered Boreholes.” They also want to spend 1,300,214,210 on the “Purchase of Patrol and Operational Vehicles.” Now, here’s the problem; they also budgeted another 1,385,131,167 for the “Purchase of All Terrain Vehicles for Land Patrol.” I would love to know the difference between these two items because they look like the same thing to me, “Patrol Vehicles.”

The Federal Fire Service has budgeted 5,622,131,167 for the “Procurement of Fire Fighting Equipment for Existing Fire Station in Abuja and Lagos.” Another 749,943,030 is budgeted for “Rehabilitation of Firefighting Equipment (Abuja and Lagos).” There seems to be an agreement that the rest of the country can burn to the ground.

Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by Ola17: 11:31pm On Jan 26, 2016
For comprehensive breakdown of other ministries:

http://www.thescoopng.com/ministry-of-interior/

I'm just speechless embarassed
Re: Ministry Of Communication Technology – Saatah Nubari’s Budget Series by OlujobaSamuel: 11:51pm On Jan 26, 2016
this is just absurd, ridiculous and inhumane. where is our Labour movements?
all this nonsense activist no go talk now, anyway, we lack none.
it's either they collected from gej so they are forbidden from talking, or they are for the broom that the broom will never be wrong.
All the nonsense talk about the economy collapsing should be directed at the budget, these budget will make or mar this nation in this fiscal year.

(1) (Reply)

Popular Political Office Holder Eating Gala And Lacasera At Supreme Court Abuja / I Don't Want To Share A Country With Murderers / Lalong: Plateau Will No Longer Depend On Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.