Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? (928 Views)

Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? / Access Bank, Remita Introduce Salary Advance Scheme / Why Can't A Country Just Keep Printing Money And Become Rich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by dennisworld1(m): 9:09pm On Jan 26, 2016
This question has disturbing my mind. I want to by 1 litre of fuel which is sold at 87naira per litre i gave the pump attendance 90naira but no 3naira change to give me back. I have to leave it. Economics in the house is this wise for me? This should be a sensitive topic for front page. CBN should introduce 1naira note like other country currency

cc: lalasticlacla
Please MOD. Fp
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by semasir: 9:13pm On Jan 26, 2016
Because they are bunch of ₦50 men with no value for little things that could have added value to strengthening the naira at least.

The very time we have our coins in circulation, the needed value for the naira will be known.
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by Jboyossai(m): 9:15pm On Jan 26, 2016
ok, seen! Will forward your case to Buhari
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by dennisworld1(m): 9:24pm On Jan 26, 2016
this topic should be in fp. If is babymama or reseblance now it will vanish to fp once
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by Donald3d(m): 10:00pm On Jan 26, 2016
I think its a good idea even f i am not an economist, i believe because of the absence of 1 Naira note ,sellers approximate the price of items that should be 3 Naira for example, they approximate the value to 5 Naira,if it is done i believe prices of products MIGHT drop. My little piece even if i am not a economist.
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by dennisworld1(m): 10:35pm On Jan 26, 2016
Donald3d:
I think its a good idea even f i am not an economist, i believe because of the absence of 1 Naira note ,sellers approximate the price of items that should be 3 Naira for example, they approximate the value to 5 Naira,if it is done i believe prices of products MIGHT drop. My little piece even if i am not a economist.
prices will drop. nobody will be cheated. i think it will make our currency have little lift. Economis in the house please explain better
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by semasir: 1:29am On Jan 27, 2016
Pls reach me via 08098002051 on Whatsapp. That mail is not received
Jboyossai:
ok, seen! Will forward your case to Buhari
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by Kirinwa: 2:22am On Jan 27, 2016
semasir:
Because they are bunch of ₦50 men with no value for little things that could have added value to strengthening the naira at least.

The very time we have our coins in circulation, the needed value for the naira will be known.

What value would that #3 command in terms of goods?
As an economist you should have bought 5 liters and even gone with #5 change there.

Last bullet: Nansense post.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by Pavore9: 5:14am On Jan 27, 2016
l would prefer govt to focus on mobile money, glad buhari is visiting kenya so he can feel the impact of mobile money on their economy. l use airtel here and use it to pay at the supermarket, buy skype credits, on amazon, pay flight tickets and more!
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by uboma(m): 6:24am On Jan 27, 2016
dennisworld1:
This question has disturbing my mind. I want to by 1 litre of fuel which is sold at 87naira per litre i gave the pump attendance 90naira but no 3naira change to give me back. I have to leave it. Economics in the house is this wise for me? This should be a sensitive topic for front page. CBN should introduce 1naira note like other country currency

cc: lalasticlacla
Please MOD. Fp

We already NGN1 in coins (legal tenders) which we Nigerians have failed to appreciate. Try to buy an item or pay for a good/service with coins here in Nigeria and see the total rejection you'll get. No one wants to accept them.

But visit Shoprite and see how coins are utilized there. After paying for your shopping, they give your change in full (even if it includes coins).
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by hab1612(m): 6:36am On Jan 27, 2016
Seriously,
I believe having the coins in circulation will increase the value of our money.
Am not an economist.
But visit any of this so call countries with stable economy, dey appreciate dia coins wella.
The #1000 note sud not hav been in existence.
For example, Brazil's heights currency is R$100 dy hav centavos ranginging from 5 to 50 and R$1 coin.
Visit the USA n see. They also have dia cents valued.
Nigeria sud try n apply dis.
I know dy hav tryed to enforced its cerculation in Nigeria, Mayb dy are stil not doing it the ryt way.
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by Bevista: 7:10am On Jan 27, 2016
Minting cost: The cost of printing one N1 note is the same as printing one N100 note.
---
Why did the coins disappear? Because the use value was higher than its face value. A blacksmith was willing to pay N3 for a N1 coin, so he can use the coin to smelt into something he could sell for N5. So, our coins failed one of the basic requirements of money (the use value should not be greater than its face value).
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by dennisworld1(m): 8:07am On Jan 27, 2016
Bevista:
Minting cost: The cost of printing one N1 note is the same as printing one N100 note.
---
Why did the coins disappear? Because the use value was higher than its face value. A blacksmith was willing to pay N3 for a N1 coin, so he can use the coin to smelt into something he could sell for N5. So, our coins failed one of the basic requirements of money (the use value should not be greater than its face value).
prices of items are going higher. N5 will be of no use soon
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by semasir: 9:29am On Jan 27, 2016
If you think ₦3 is nothing then I ask you reconsider and think what value the coin hence it's adoption. Not everyone will be buoyant to buy 5litres but we should be sensible to circulate it and value of items be in coins for usage.

We are no difference to advanced countries but we let this go out of extinction here and use it elsewhere when out there.

Kirinwa:

What value would that #3 command in terms of goods?
As an economist you should have bought 5 liters and even gone with #5 change there.

Last bullet: Nansense post.
Re: Why Can't CBN Introduce 1naira Note Currency? by dennisworld1(m): 8:13am On Jan 29, 2016
Bevista:
---
is this economical wise

(1) (Reply)

He Needs A Business/investment To Start With / What Type Of Business Can I Start With This Amount? / 8 Amusing But Real Indicators Of Nigerian Economic Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.