Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:33 PM

Everything You Need To Know About Delta State - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Everything You Need To Know About Delta State (4815 Views)

10 Interesting Facts About Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by Nobody: 2:37am On Jan 27, 2016
Delta state, located in the south south region of Nigeria is a Niger Delta state which produces both crude oil and agriculture. This state has natural resources like: industrial clay, silica, lignite, kaolin, tar sand, decorative rocks, limestone, etc. Delta state was carved out of a state formally known as bendel state. Delta's capital is asaba which is in the northern end of the statew hile Warri is the economic nerve center of the state and also the most populated located in the southern end of the state.

Am writing this post (I actually copied some part from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_State ), because some Nigerians actually think this state is mostly made up of this tribe or that tribe. I was speaking with a friend from Ibadan whereby he called Delta an Igbo state while some of my guys from Lagos referred to Delta as ijaw state. The fact is that Delta state is among the states in Nigeria with the most diverse tribes and cultures. Here are a few I can remember

1. Urhobo

2. Itsekiri

3. Ijaw

4. Ukwani

5. Igbo (Delta Igbo)

6. Ika (@agbor)

7. Okpe

8. Okpe isoko

9. Isoko

Urhobo and isoko speak almost same language (eg God is Oghene in both tribes). But their traditions are different. They're found @the middle and south of the state (there's also an isoko village called ugbenu @benin road top of the hill Edo state).

Itsekiri people are like Yoruba in language (anyone who can understand Yoruba can understand some itsekiri) they're found @the south of the state.

The ijaw people are same as the people from bayelsa. They're same culture and language. They're found at the south of the state and the border between Delta and bayelsa

The Igbo (Delta Igbo) make up the asaba and it's environment. They speak normal Igbo and this tribe brings the most beautiful girls in Delta state. They're found @the north of the state.

Ukwani people speak almost like the Igbo. They're situated at the ethiope river side (it's too deep, if you must swim, you must go to abraka beach). They share boundaries with asaba. Eg of their village is ubiaroko

Agbor like the kwale speak almost like Igbo but faster. You'll know a typical agbor man for shouting the word 'ooore' whenever his excited.

Noticed behavior to some tribes are as follows

1. Isoko people are generally known to be stingy

2. Urhobo men are lazy while their women as strong and do most of the husband's job while the husband would drink and get drunk.

3. Ijaw people are a freestyle people which view money as easy come, easy go. They give willingly.

4. Itsekiri people are mostly introverts and don't like mixing themselves with other tribes.

Looking @Warri, it's made up of three major tribes but actually four tribes in total.
1. Itsekiri
2. Ijaw
3. Urhobo
4. Okpe (located around ugbokodourhobo and ugbokodoitsekiri).

Warri, to me, is the unofficial capital of Delta state since it's more fun and filled than asaba.

Tourist locations in Delta are
Abraka beach, which is the ethiope river,

The Araya Bible Site which houses a copy of the Holy Bible. It is believed that the bible descended to this spot miraculously from heaven around August, 1914,

The Nana's Palace built by Chief Nana Olomu of Ebrohim. He was a powerful 19th century indigenous entrepreneur who traded with the British. The relationship eventually turned sour. Later, he surrendered (not without putting up a fight) and was exile back to Ghana.

... And much more....

Delta state is also among the states with the highest number of tietary institutions. Examples are

Fupre,
Delsu,
Novena,
Ibru,
Son,
Ozoro,
Oghara,
Ogwachukwu,
Etc...

Notable celebrities from Delta are

Omawumi
Oritsefemi
Bovi
Eva
Orezi
Tompolo
John Togo
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Micheal ibru
Pastor ayo (can president),
Dr sid
Justice esiri(late)
Ushbebe
And most importantly, ME ( grin grin cool)

Curtains closing.... It's a cool state with great minds and ambition. It's former slogan was the big heart but it seems that had a negative effect on people (especially Warri) so it was changed to the finger of God.

The only problem of the state is that it's not unified. This tribe wants to be superior over that tribe.

Another big problem though is the youths. They want to drain everything from investors of the state. Please Help Us God. Delta state's indigenes are proud to be called Nigerians. Just a few from asaba are embracing Biafra but we pray we're still united in the end.

So there you have it. Am imperfect and this post isn't 100% accurate so please prove me wrong so I learn more.

Less I forget the state is white and blue in colour

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by Nobody: 3:23am On Jan 27, 2016
My name is jobia and I am enugu igbo undecided

1 Like

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by Nobody: 3:26am On Jan 27, 2016
Jobia:
My name is jobia and I am enugu igbo undecided
I know it sounds weird bros.. But it's the way they address themselves. That's how we call them
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by IkpuMmadu: 7:21am On Jan 27, 2016
My name is ikpummadu and I am fro. Anambra igbo

Just funny

Agbor and kwale are now tribes

OP get a job pls ..it helps
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by Nobody: 7:55am On Jan 27, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Just funny

Jesus Christ. I can't drag with you. But please check wikipedia if @all
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 27, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Just funny

Sorry kwale=ukwani. Mistake in typing.
As for agbor, the name is the tribe is ika which I never knew until now.
Like I previously said, am not perfect.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by IkpuMmadu: 8:36am On Jan 27, 2016
Elijahrona2:

Sorry kwale=ukwani. Mistake in typing.
As for agbor, the name is the tribe is ika which I never knew until now.
Like I previously said, am not perfect.

Agbor speaks ika a sub group or dialect of igbo
Egbu speaks Owerri a subgroup dialect of igbo
Abakeliki speaks ikwo/ezza a sub group of igbo

Agbor calls God Chukwu or OLISAH same with igbo
Agbor uses four market days called eke oria afor and nkwo just like all other igbo
Agbo bears the name Ifeanyi ,Emeka and others just like other igbo

Maybe you don't know the difference between dialect and language

Can you point the differences between agbor and igbo

1 Like

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by IkpuMmadu: 8:37am On Jan 27, 2016
Elijahrona2:

Jesus Christ. I can't drag with you. But please check wikipedia if @all

Is wiki a decider of igbo or who .. Who bears the name Ifeanyi pls
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 27, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Agbor speaks ika a sub group or dialect of igbo
Egbu speaks Owerri a subgroup dialect of igbo
Abakeliki speaks ikwo/ezza a sub group of igbo

Agbor calls God Chukwu or OLISAH same with igbo
Agbor uses four market days called eke oria afor and nkwo just like all other igbo
Agbo bears the name Ifeanyi ,Emeka and others just like other igbo

Maybe you don't know the difference between dialect and language

Can you point the differences between agbor and igbo

Come so I'll award you. You've won
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by IkpuMmadu: 8:52am On Jan 27, 2016
Elijahrona2:

Come so I'll award you. You've won

Bro its not a question of wining and losing but let's do some intellectual engagement
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 27, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Bro its not a question of wining and losing but let's do some intellectual engagement

Yh I know. No one is too big to learn more. I should be appreciating you
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by fratermathy(m): 7:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
Elijahrona2: Okpe is a dialect of Urhobo. Even the Isoko, though a different language, is culturally Urhoboid so their traditions are not different.

In the names of schools, you used town names for schools instead of the schools themselves or their abbreviations.

Obiaruku does not border Asaba as you said. In fact, they are quite far apart.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Delta State by BlaqqDahCritic: 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2016
Mister op...u forgot to add that the itsekiri people no dy let person hear word....eni small tin dem don dy yarn big Warri angry ....and asaba people dia own eh...nah die.....back2back all my friends wan grin mahmor"(nt sure if spelt properly)........den Sapele people...memories b turning dia brainz tongue

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

20 Photos Of Kampala You Would Mistake For London(photos) / Is It Possible To Change DOB On International Passport / Any Nigerians In Oahu Or Honolulu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.