Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,405 members, 7,830,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! (17613 Views)

Whatsapp Video Calling Is Now Available For All Users / New BBM Update Comes With Video Calling Feature / BBM Rolls Out Video Calling Feature To Android And Ios (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by billy187(m): 8:15am On Jan 27, 2016
I bet the intention is to bog you down with unnecessary commercials.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by henrydadon(m): 8:18am On Jan 27, 2016
op God bless u for this information
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 27, 2016
The website doesn't load for ios users
Security toh tight
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by omodapson(m): 8:20am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks for the info. If there's something like that from Whatsapp, it will surely be embedded in their next update and not through some funny links.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by obidevine(m): 8:31am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks for the heads up
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Rockstar07: 8:32am On Jan 27, 2016
Choi... I don oblige o and i invited about 10 peeps. Hope my number won't be clone o cos it happend to a friend-friend whose number was cloned after she did GTmobile transfer using *737*1* Amount*Acct No#. According to her, immediately after she did the transfer her phone went off and the line wasn't working hence she didnt recieve any alert, Only for her to get to the network service provider she was told her line has been hacked and they've rendered the line useless. When she went to check her balance all her money has been wiped off.
I discussed this with one GT customer's service at the branch, the lady said they're not aware of such development that she'll notify the IT department.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by chidexxy007(m): 8:35am On Jan 27, 2016
mumu naija network providers never allow me make voice call smoothly na video call?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Sunshinelady(f): 8:42am On Jan 27, 2016
gadgetsngs:
I got this Status Update from a Friend’s Facebook update,so I decided to share it with you guys.

Good day ladies and gentlemen. If you have not been invited to install Whatsapp Video calling, congratulations, if you have been invited and you ignored, good for you.

A message is currently going around now where a link will be sent to you and once you click, it will take you to a page where you input your phone number. Once you type your number and click on "Continue", that will be the end!

The message comes in this form; "Hey, I am inviting you to activate WhatsApp Video Calling. Click here to Activate --> http://whatsapp.videocallinginvite.com"

The website videocallinginvite.com was registered in December 27, 2015 (less than a month ago) under GoDaddy, and the NS are NS1.DIGITALOCEAN.COM and NS2.DIGITALOCEAN.COM. This shows clearly that the server is not from Whatsapp, because even before Facebook bought Whatsapp in 2014, Whatsapp clouded their server, and after Facebook bought them, the contents was moved to another server.

whatsapp Video call

Again, the url is nothing but fraud because you cannot create primary sub domain from a secondary URL. E.g, if the URL of Nigerian government is nigeria.gov, you can't tell Nigerians to visit nigeria.kogi.gov and claim that the website is from Nigerian government. Therefore the url of this purported Whatsapp Video Call cannot be whatsapp.videocallinginvite.com. Even the URL for desktop integration of Whatsapp chat is web.whatsapp.com, so if Whatsapp want to create video calls, it will be a name.whatsapp.com, not the other way round.

The guy/guys that registered this domain did it to extract as many numbers as possible. What they want to use it for, I don't know. But I so much believe that if routing can be possible, if cloning of websites can be possible, cloning of numbers can also be achieved. Though I'm thinking that the people behind this wickedness are looking for numbers of influential people, but nothing can be ignored, anything can happen. Don't forget that you can be tracked with your phone, and your conversation can also be tapped. Therefore we can’t rule out anything.

Please when anybody send you a similar link, ignore completely to avoid the story that touch!

NB

Whatsapp Video Call feature is reportedly in the making, but no such updates is officially available at the Moment, it will probably come as an app update and not through some phishing website.

Source http://www.gadgetsng.com/2016/01/warning-current-whatsapp-video-calling-scam.html
thank u very much OP. This is d kind of helpful topics we need
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:46am On Jan 27, 2016
gadgetsngs:

Good day ladies and gentlemen. If you have not been invited to install Whatsapp Video calling, congratulations, if you have been invited and you ignored, good for you.

Thank GOD I ignored it!
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 27, 2016
Nice one Op, thanks for the info... Got dat msg from a friend last week Saturday also

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by rexesq(m): 8:51am On Jan 27, 2016
I am a victim. I regret following the instructions even before this thread. is there a way out?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by rman: 8:53am On Jan 27, 2016
Of course anyone that is just a little IT inclined will know it is a scam.

I was surprised at the number of people that sent the link to me within 48hrs.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by mrwisesome: 8:54am On Jan 27, 2016
Ok ooooooh
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 27, 2016
Doubt if there is any known method of retrieving your number
rexesq:
I am a victim. I regret following the instructions even before this thread. is there a way out?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 9:01am On Jan 27, 2016
rman:
Of course anyone that is just a little IT inclined will know it is a scam.

I was surprised at the number of people that sent the link to me within 48hrs.

Nigerians like sharing stupid stuffs like that,recall when ebola and salt water ?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 27, 2016
Ebayray:
Nice one Op, thanks for the info... Got dat msg from a friend last week Saturday also
Hope you didn't lick on it?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by rman: 9:04am On Jan 27, 2016
gadgetsngs:

Nigerians like sharing stupid stuffs like that,recall when ebola and salt water ?

That too. Network service providers could not believe the traffic surge overnight during the salt rubbish.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by danidee10(m): 9:10am On Jan 27, 2016
kulobyno:
It's only myopic sex starved perverts that will fall for the cheap scam

Na u come dey straff everyday nw....what concerns sex with the post sef

1 Like

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by eluquenson(m): 9:11am On Jan 27, 2016
Someone sent me that message too, but i quickly deleted it as am not freaked with video calling.

So it's all a scam
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Greycious(m): 9:11am On Jan 27, 2016
Sorry OP, even the WhatsApp call is a scam grin
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 27, 2016
gadgetsngs:
Hope you didn't lick on it?

I did oo, bt didn't put any info dere
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 27, 2016
Good of you
Ebayray:

I did oo, bt didn't put any info dere
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 27, 2016
Tell me more please!
Greycious:
Sorry OP, even the WhatsApp call is a scam grin
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 27, 2016
gadgetsngs:
Good of you

Yeah, sure thing smiley
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Stilloboy: 9:39am On Jan 27, 2016
I guess I was really lucky then when I received such a message like several weeks back but decided to ignore it.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by bedfordng(m): 9:50am On Jan 27, 2016
many will still fall for this. We just need to spread the info
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Greycious(m): 9:53am On Jan 27, 2016
gadgetsngs:
Tell me more please!
How many times have u successfully made a phone call through the so called WhatsApp call?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 27, 2016
Countless bro,maybe network is so bad around you sha

Greycious:

How many times have u successfully made a phone call through the so called WhatsApp call?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by kolexepana: 10:33am On Jan 27, 2016
Since they even made it free for a lifetime, everything else will be a scam undecided
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by decepticos(m): 10:37am On Jan 27, 2016
Well anyone can fall victim, I know Nigerians easily adopt new online culture, so its a bit easy to scam us, just add "free", and by God you'll be shocked.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Hardeyoye: 10:38am On Jan 27, 2016
I refused to believe all of these. Though whoever is trying the video call stuff, if not whatsapp, for whatever purpose might be sinister. but there are other ways numbers can be gotten aside from this. what happens to collecting numbers from different databases?
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by decepticos(m): 10:38am On Jan 27, 2016
gadgetsngs:
Countless bro,maybe network is so bad around you sha

so DAT stuff has to do with d network ai.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Ways Social Networks Are Ruining Your Life - Naijatechguy / Sandisk Launches N130,000 "512 GB Memory Card, / Hands-on Review Of The Infinix Zero Camera, Memory, Battery And Screen With Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.