Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,741 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse (1100 Views)

Fayose Embraces Buhari's School Feeding Programme / I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG / Osinbajo At The Launching Of The National School Feeding Programm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 12:16pm On Jan 27, 2016
One of the standout vocal points of the 2016 Appropriation Bill currently under scrutiny in the National Assembly is the staggering sum of N500billion earmarked for the much hyped once-a-day-Primary School Pupil Feeding programme. In the thinking of its proponents, guaranteeing a daily meal to the nation's teeming pupils will galvanise their enthusiasm to attend classes. This postulation, though draws much appeal from different quarters, is yet to be supported by empirical facts and substantiable evidence. Though children in the age bracket of 5-10 tend to feel at ease whenever food is on the table, it is yet to be established as a major motivator for going to school or catalyst for speedy assimilation.

In a monolithic nation confronted with plummeting source of major revenue, priorities should be better placed on policies that bring about direct developmental impact on citizenry other than embarking on expenditures with remote or insignificant immediate or long time effect.

The following viewpoints clearly underplays the relevance of the school feeding project at this point in the country's quest for survival:

1. Nigerian parents ( both in the formal and informal sectors), though wallow in abject poverty and operate within a harsh economic environment over many decades, yet have never failed in the basic responsibility of feeding their wards. I am yet to see any parent groaning under the pain of inability to provide three square meals to his/her child.

2. The nation is currently yearning for rapid infrastructural turnaround. One would have expected such mouthwatering amount to be allocated in that regards. Spending N500b in rehabilitating existing schools (and building new ones where necessary), procuring basic learning tools (conventional and IT-based), improving the welfare of school teachers, acquiring school buses for easy transportation to and fro school, improving on the existing rail structure etc would usher in much positive impact than a daily meal of beans or rice.

3. This scheme was experimented with and pioneered by Ogbeni Aregbesola in Osun State as a populist policy meant to improve school attendance. There's no verifiable feedback that suggest a success story in the last three years of its practice. Rather, the State was thrown into bankruptcy due to the policy's devastating effect on its thin resources. As we speak, Osun State is yet to fully offset Salary Arrears of its civil servants.

With the aforementioned indices, the feeding programme stands as a mere election wining gimmick other than a national necessity. The APC-led govt can do better in trying to curry the favour of Nigerians by concentrating on policies of urgent needs other than self-serving ones.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 27, 2016
Time...give it time.....not an apc supporter tho...I just support tis anti corruption fight...I just think all the resources shldnt be focused there....the economy is sinking....I blive it will be better.....Nigerians....we hve experienced worse....

1 Like

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by chriskosherbal(m): 12:25pm On Jan 27, 2016
Who knows maybe it will be feasible.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 27, 2016
I am yet to see any parent groaning under the pain of inability to provide three square meals to his/ her child.
You must be blind.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 1:00pm On Jan 27, 2016
Obiagelli:

You must be blind.

I just used my God-given eyes to type this piece.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 1:43pm On Jan 27, 2016
[quote author=chriskosherbal post=42370095]Who knows maybe it will be feasible.

No experimentation pls.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 1:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
chriskosherbal:
Who knows maybe it will be feasible.

Nigeria can't afford trial by error at this particular time.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 7:24pm On Jan 27, 2016
slyIsaac:
Time...give it time.....not an apc supporter tho...I just support tis anti corruption fight...I just think all the resources shldnt be focused there....the economy is sinking....I blive it will be better.....Nigerians....we hve experienced worse....

Nigerians have given our politicians enough time. The days of learning on the job is far spent.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by peacengine(m): 8:20pm On Jan 27, 2016
Obiagelli:

You must be blind.

I was also wondering same, the OP is an ignoramus

1 Like

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by resty4(m): 8:30pm On Jan 27, 2016
D issue accordg 2 hausa adage is "kashi awiyan" buhari n apc dat de must fulfil.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 8:39pm On Jan 27, 2016
peacengine:

I was also wondering same, the OP is an ignoramus

Typical of APC hailing hailers. Always deficient in intuitive reasoning. Ponder over the points raised instead of celebrating ignorance. Pls.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 8:42pm On Jan 27, 2016
Obiagelli:

You must be blind.

Behold the Chief Propagandist of our time. An unrepentant shallow thinker!

1 Like

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by kernel501: 9:11pm On Jan 27, 2016
IF THE PARENTS ARE ENHANCED, WHAT'S THE POINT GIVING PUPILS MEAL DURING SCHOOL HOURS.
THERE PARENTS ARE STILL THE ONES PAYING FOR THESE MEALS VIA TAX, SO IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY ECONOMIC SENSE.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 27, 2016
kernel501:
IF THE PARENTS ARE ENHANCED, WHAT'S THE POINT GIVING PUPILS MEAL DURING SCHOOL HOURS.
THERE PARENTS ARE STILL THE ONES PAYING FOR THESE MEALS VIA TAX, SO IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY ECONOMIC SENSE.
How many years exactly will it take to enhance every parent? Even advance countries feed their kids in school.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 10:02pm On Jan 27, 2016
kernel501:

Good points. Buhari and APC should be thinking in this direction.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by themilanway(m): 10:04pm On Jan 27, 2016
Obiagelli:

How many years exactly will it take to enhance every parent? Even advance countries feed their kids in school.

Stop wasting your time and energy on threads like this.

The original writer for some time now has been trying to write like a certain Tonye,but he is too dull obviously.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by kernel501: 10:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
Obiagelli:

WHICH ADVANCE COUNTRY FEEDS KIDS, WHEN THERE PARENTS ARE IN AUSTERITY WITHOUT JOBS?
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by poiZon: 11:22pm On Jan 27, 2016
Obiagelli:

so nigeria is now advance abi?
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 7:13am On Jan 28, 2016
kernel501:

WHICH ADVANCE COUNTRY FEEDS KIDS, WHEN THERE PARENTS ARE IN AUSTERITY WITHOUT JOBS?

Pls help me ask them. Govt should empower Nigerian parents so that they can in turn take care of their families.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 7:22am On Jan 28, 2016
themilanway:

The original writer for some time now has been trying to write like a certain Tonye,but he is too dull obviously.

I am sure Nairalanders of sound minds know who's dull or not. Your inability to comprehend simple argumentative reasoning obviously portray your intellectual deficiency. Anyway, my moniker is different from that of tonyebarcanista. I don't imitate personalities.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 28, 2016
themilanway:

Oh thanks
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by Adminisher: 9:21am On Jan 28, 2016
OLADD:

Nigeria can't afford trial by error at this particular time.

What is feasibility again?.
It will encourage school enrollment. It will save funds for parents. It will boost the agricultural sector by as much as 15% growth every year. It will increase GDP. It will allow farmers develop SCALE that they can leverage to become exporters. It will boost the service sector - school meal kitchens. It will increase employment.

I just hate it when people pretend. The school meals is justified in one thousand ways. Only a clueless follower of PDP and a pretender will say it does not work. Big English meaning ZERO.
Buzz words adding up to NONSENSE.
Re: Buhari's School Feeding Scheme and The Nation's Leaning Purse by OLADD: 10:54am On Jan 28, 2016
Adminisher:

What is feasibility again?.
It will encourage school enrollment. It will save funds for parents. It will boost the agricultural sector by as much as 15% growth every year. It will increase GDP. It will allow farmers develop SCALE that they can leverage to become exporters. It will boost the service sector - school meal kitchens. It will increase employment.

I just hate it when people pretend. The school meals is justified in one thousand ways. Only a clueless follower of PDP and a pretender will say it does not work. Big English meaning ZERO.
Buzz words adding up to NONSENSE.

Obviously you didn't read my post carefully. If you did, you'll see where it was argued that school feeding doesn't guarantee enrolment or attendance. The low school enrolment in the northern part of Nigeria, for instance was not precipitated on lack of food but purely religious and cultural inclinations.

Your argument regarding likelihood of improved agriculture is also invalid. Available facts indicate that supply of basic food items (such as rice and beans) far outweighs demand. Only irresponsible parents would abdicate the responsibility of feeding their wards to the govt.

(1) (Reply)

I'm Grateful To Learn From #kenyatta Because He's My Senior —president #buhari / PHOTOS: Bukola Saraki With NLC Protesters Over Electricity Tariffs / Checkout Waec's Response To This NGO, Requesting To Sponsor The Best Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.