Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,546 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

About Deworming Puppies - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / About Deworming Puppies (1646 Views)

Dog Deworming / Human Deworming Medication For Dogs / Deworming+imune Booster??+antibiotics??!! Injections @ 2000naira Evry 2 Months? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Deworming Puppies by Prodeegee(m): 9:44am On Jan 28, 2016
At what age do I de-worm my puppy?

Puppies 4 to 12 weeks of age should be wormed every two weeks.

From age 12 weeks to 6 months puppies should be wormed monthly

From 6 months onward dogs and puppies should be wormed every 3 months.

What are some of the symptoms that my dog or puppy has intestinal worms?

Loss of appetite

The dog's coat is in poor condition

The dog has a pot belly appearance - especially in puppies

The dog or puppy suffers weight loss

Diarrhea (sometimes bloody diarrhea)

Vomiting

Lethargy

Anemia - The dog or puppy has pale gums

Worm segments around the anal area. These segments look like small grains of rice or sesame seeds.

Continual licking of the anal area

The dog or puppy scoots around on it's rear end.

Coughing if juvenile roundworm have migrated to the dog's lungs

What are the types of intestinal worms that infect dogs?

Tapeworm in dogs

You can often see the dried sections of tapeworm around the dogs anus. They resemble rice grains. Dogs will often scoot around on their rear end due to the irritation. More information on Tapeworm in dogs

Flea control is an important part of preventing tapeworm.
More information on Getting rid of fleas on your dog and in your house

Hookworms in dogs

Hookworms are very small worms that have hook like mouth parts that burrow into your dog's intestinal wall and suck blood. They can cause anemia, black or bloody diarrhea and sometimes death in puppies. Diagnosis is made by examining the feces for eggs under a microscope

Most often found in humid tropical areas. Can infect humans.

Roundworms in dogs

Dogs can become infected with roundworms by eating infected lizards, mice, birds and other prey. Puppies can be infected by their mothers. They can also become infected from ingesting soil contaminated by infected faeces. If your puppy vomits up a worm there is a good chance it is a roundworm. Roundworms will look like spaghetti in the puppy’s feces.

Roundworms can be passed on to humans and children are most at risk.

Whipworm in dogs

Often hard to diagnose from a stool sample. Chronic weight loss may be a symptom of whipworm together with feces that has a covering of mucous.

Whipworms are not passed on to humans.

Other types of worms

Heartworm. More Information on Heartworm in Dogs

Ringworm. Ringworm is actually not a worm but a fungus that affects the skin.
More information on Ringworm in Dogs with pictures

What de-worming medication should I use for my puppy?

Ask your vet for the best worm medication for your dog or puppy.

You can often purchase de-worming medication over the counter at your vets without a consultation fee.

Below are a few suggestions.

Drontal Plus is a popular choice that comes in tablet form. Drontal Plus is a broad-spectrum de-wormer used in dogs to treat tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms and whipworms. Suitable for dogs weighing over 2 lbs and 3 weeks of age. They come in chewable tablets that are easy

Other suggestions are Zerokim, Pracizam
source: http://talkpawsng..com/2015/02/when-to-deworm-your-puppy-or-dog.html

2 Likes

Re: About Deworming Puppies by uchpanila(m): 10:13am On Jan 28, 2016
nice write up.

pups that started eating solid foods from their mums plate at the age of 4 weeks, is it to stop or leave them?
Re: About Deworming Puppies by Prodeegee(m): 1:08pm On Jan 28, 2016
uchpanila:
nice write up.

pups that started eating solid foods from their mums plate at the age of 4 weeks, is it to stop or leave them?
leave them. Except the food contains bones
Re: About Deworming Puppies by inception101(m): 7:06am On Jan 30, 2016
Nice piece bro, thanks for the advice

1 Like

Re: About Deworming Puppies by Ditala(m): 3:02pm On Feb 01, 2016
A beautiful write-ups.I very much like dogs but how to train them was my problem.Do you have an idea,pls?
Re: About Deworming Puppies by jendoakino(m): 5:33am On Feb 03, 2016
nice1 bruv

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

piebald Boerboel Pups For Sale / I Call Him"No Discussion At All"...quality Male Long Coat Slant Back Gsd.sold!!! / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.