Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,587 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected (1050 Views)

Warning As MouthAction Spreads Untreatable Gonorrhoea Resistant To Antibiotics / Bird Flu In 7 States In Nigeria Now (See List Of States) / All You Should Know About The Lassa Fever As It Spreads To 11 States, Kills 42 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected by justiz5(m): 4:40pm On Jan 29, 2016
Bird Flu Spreads to 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected

Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja

Avian Influenza, popularly referred to as bird flu, is now in 18 states in Nigeria and has affected over 2.5 million chickens resulting in the loss of several billions of naira, the Nigerian Institute of Animal Science has said.

Avian Influenza or bird flu is an infectious viral disease of birds. While most Avian Influenza viruses do not infect humans, a few others like A(H5N1) and A(H7N9) have caused serious infections in people.

NIAS, which is the regulatory agency of the Federal Government for the regulation of all matters pertaining to animal husbandry in Nigeria, on Friday stated that bird flu was spreading so fast and as such all adequate measures to stop the spread must be enforced.

Asked to state the number of birds affected by the disease, the Registrar/Chief Executive Officer, NIAS, Dr. Godwin Oyedeji, said, “By the last count, I think as of yesterday (Thursday), not less than 2.5 million chickens have been infected and over 700 farms have been affected nationwide. From one incidence in one state and moving to two states, it has increased and I think by now we are having it in not less than 18 states.”

Oyedeji, who spoke during a press briefing in Abuja, added, “In the Kuje area, here in the Federal Capital Territory, over 900,000 birds have been affected. This should not continue, and it is because things that should be done are not being done.

“If we cannot prevent wild birds that carry the influenza from overflying Nigeria and if the virus has come into Nigeria, then we can prevent, through good animal husbandry practices, the spread from one farm to the other.”

He noted that something was wrong somewhere, adding that the institute had gone to the field to ascertain what was not being done right by poultry farmers.
http://www.punchng.com/bird-flu-in-18-states-affects-2-5-million-chickens/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected by wtfCode: 4:44pm On Jan 29, 2016
just imagine angry

1 Like

Re: Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected by NLban: 4:52pm On Jan 29, 2016
This is the right time for me to enjoy chicken lap. All these lies by health personnel self. The prices of Chicken will definitely fall. Let me run quickly to inform mama Ngozi that there is Bird Flu so that I can buy it so cheap.

Chicken lap de sweet for this kind time ehhh!!

gringrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:00pm On Jan 29, 2016

They just want us to be scared op. Don't mind them. That was how I avoided Chicken the other time, when the virus broke out. All my friends were busy enjoying cheap Chicken and nothing happened to them.

This time around, my eyes don open. Ha I go choooooooooooooooooooooop Chicken wella.

Thank God say my eyes don open now. Op open your eyeeeeessssa.......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected by terzurum5(m): 5:05pm On Jan 29, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

They just want us to be scared op. Don't mind them. That was how I avoided Chicken the other time, when the virus broke out. All my friends were busy enjoying cheap Chicken and nothing happened to them.

This time around, my eyes don open. Ha I go choooooooooooooooooooooop Chicken wella.

Thank God say my eyes don open now. Op open your eyeeeeessssa.......

Chop alone die alone @NLban & Blackalbino6
Re: Bird Flu Spreads To 18 States, 2.5m Chickens Affected by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:09pm On Jan 29, 2016
NLban:
This is the right time for me to enjoy chicken lap. All these lies by health personnel self. The prices of Chicken will definitely fall. Let me run quickly to inform mama Ngozi that there is Bird Flu so that I can buy it so cheap.

Chicken lap de sweet for this kind time ehhh!!

gringrin
Avoid chicken within this period, at least you won't die. Besides, there are other better form of protein. You have fish, turkey and the likes.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE- Major Cause Of Infertility In Women / The Health Hazards Of A Pot Belly / Staphylococcus Is Killing Me Slowly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.