Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

What You Need To Know About The Gre - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What You Need To Know About The Gre (474 Views)

How I Scored 330 In The GRE Exam (Part 2) / How I Scored 330 In The GRE Exam (Part 1) / Understanding The Analytical Sections On The Gre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About The Gre by Olibaba: 4:47pm On Jan 29, 2016
Basically this piece will focus on computer based GRE general test which is an exam administered by Educational Testing System ETS {hey.. calm down. Nobody will ask you the meaning of ETS in the exam} to measure three basic skills that you have acquired all your academy pursuit which includes: quantitative, verbal and analytical skills. ETS believes that the GRE score indicates your chances of succeeding in the graduate school or completing your graduate degree. In-line with this, many schools requires their applicants to take the GRE.
The GRE Computer Based General Test has five to six sections, which will always take the below format:

Section 1: Analytical Writing Section {60 Minutes}

• Essay 1 : Giving one’s perspective on an issue {30 Minutes}
• Essay 2 : Analyzing an argument {30 Minutes}

--------------------------One-Minute Break-----------------------------------

Section 2: Quantitative Ability {35 Minutes}

• 9 discrete quantitative questions
• 8 quantitative comparison questions
• 3 data interpretation questions

Section 3: Verbal Ability {30 Minutes}

• 9 reading comprehension questions
• 6 text completion questions
• 5 sentence equivalence questions

--------------------------Ten-Minute Break-----------------------------------

Section 4: Quantitative Ability {35 Minutes}

• 10 discrete quantitative questions
• 7 quantitative comparison questions
• 3 data interpretation questions

Section 5: Verbal Ability {30 Minutes}

• 9 reading comprehension questions
• 6 text completion questions
• 5 sentence equivalence questions

Section 6: Experimental Questions {30 or 35 Minutes}

• A third quantitative or verbal section

TOTAL TIME: 4 Hours

Please note that sections 2 through 6 can appear in any order, so it’s not necessarily in the other shown above. Additionally, the experimental section could either be a quantitative or verbal question type but be sure that the experimental section will not count in your GRE score. As the name implies, they are just experimental questions for future purpose. However, most importantly you won’t know which among the sections will be the experimental section so focus on answering all the sections well to your ability.
In the next post, I will be talking about each of the sections in detail so keep a regular check on this blog.

http://nehemiahprep..com.ng/2016/01/what-you-need-to-know-about-gre.html#more

If you seem to have any question or you need further clarifications please do drop a comment below.

Written by Adewale Olisa,
Admin, NehemiahPrep Blog
Re: What You Need To Know About The Gre by bigfrancis21: 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
Nice expose. Reminds me of when I took the GRE test in 2012 and it was pretty much ok. The Math section was ok for me, same as the Verbal section but the exam time was the main limiting factor, especially in the Verbal section. I took the paper based test at Aba, Abia state. Not many people know that they can take the paper GRE test in Nigeria too, at Aba, Benin city and Lagos. The paper based test is only offered 3 times in a year, in February, October and November.
Re: What You Need To Know About The Gre by Olibaba: 12:38pm On Feb 04, 2016
@bigfrancis21. nice post. we need to help as many people out there struggling with the GRE

(1) (Reply)

Launching Of The New University Of Ibadan Great Uites Forum / Help Me With Unizik (msc 1)past Question On Micro Economics / 2014 Waec Gce Certificate! Pls Is It Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.