Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World (6338 Views)

Prophet Who Practises Both Islam And Christianity In Kogi (Photos, Videos) / Muslim Girl Converts To Christianity In Jos And It's Causing Controversy / Abducted Muslim Children Forcefully Converted To Christianity In Edo Idp Camp. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by jiggaz(m): 9:31am On Jan 30, 2016
I am soooo happy when i read this article... For some time i have been worried about people in Asian countries that are not Christians, i always worry about their eternal destiny cos China & India has the biggest population in the world. China is 2.5 Billion and India is 1.2 Billion... They are mostly Atheists & Hindus but today, God through the power of the Holy Spirit is reaching out to them and they converting to Christianity and following Christ in large numbers!!! Hallelujah!!! God is gathering the last set of people before the Rapture... I am sooo Happy!!! Read the article below.....

For some time, probably since the year 2000, I have been saying in public that there are five hot spots for the
gospel in the world today: China, India, Indonesia, Brazil and Nigeria. Interestingly enough, the background of China is atheist, of India Hindu, of Indonesia Muslim, of Brazil Catholic, and of Nigeria animist.

I will refrain from giving details on each of the above, but I usually start with China, the largest nation in the world, reporting the greatest national harvest of souls ever recorded in history, beginning in 1976. Although figures differ, I personally am comfortable agreeing with those who claim that 10 percent of the population is Christian, which would mean that there are around 140 million Christians in that country.

I then customarily go on to say that India, the world's second largest nation, may be seeing church growth similar to that of China, but the facts are more elusive. China is a relatively simple nation with most researchers and scholars in touch with each other and sending out informative reports. This is not the case for India.
Operation World says: "India's ancient, complex and often inscrutable past; its racial, ethnic, religious and linguistic diversity; and the caste system all make detailed population analysis exceedingly difficult." For example, all official public documents from the national government in India have to be released in 22 official languages, and that is out of a total of 456 different languages spoken in the country. With all this in mind, I usually skip over India quite rapidly in describing the hot spots for the gospel, relegating it to a possible second place next to China.

My new friend S.R. Manohar has now caused me to change my mind. He told me that in his meetings with other recognized Christian leaders in Bangalore the consensus has now emerged that India is at least 25 percent Christian with some estimating even a higher percentage. Most of this growth has surfaced within the last 10 to 15 years and it covers both North India (which has been strongly resistant to the gospel) and South India (where the majority of traditional Christians have been located). If this is correct, it would mean that India would have a total of approximately 300 million believers, about twice as many as China. India could well be the number one hot spot for the gospel.

I am aware that some readers of this report would find reasons to doubt the accuracy of Manohar's figures. The India government, for example, paints quite a different picture. Operation World comments, "For many reasons, the most recent census (2001) significantly under enumerated Christians at 2.34 percent. [This would be 28 million Christians - ed.] Christian researchers in India indicate much higher results."

Having said this, the Operation World figure for Christians in India is 71 million, admittedly quite distant from 300 million. However, I cross-examined my Indian friends as much as I knew how, but they would not budge a bit from their numbers. Since I claim no personal expertise in Indian affairs, I cannot give a definitive conclusion. But my friends know that I am the eternal optimist and when I have a choice I tend to see the glass half full, not half empty.

In my conversations in Alaska, I was told that it is becoming more and more common for whole villages or other people groups to all decide to follow Jesus Christ together at one time. This would fulfill the dream of my mentor, Donald McGavran, who, as a career missionary to India, advocated what he called "people movements to Christ."

One of my informants told about how he had been invited by a friend to speak to a group of pastors in an area he had not previously visited. While he was waiting for his friend to arrive at the place of meeting, he noticed that there were a number of young people milling around. The thought passed through his mind that perhaps his friend had really asked him to speak to a youth meeting rather than a pastors' conference. He approached a 21-year old and asked, "Where are you from?" The boy named the village. "Is there a church there?" my informant asked. "Oh, yes." "How many members does it have?" "Around 1,000." "No, I didn't ask for the population of the village, I asked about church membership." With a smile the young man answered, "We have 1,000 in the church and it is also the population of the village!" My informant was stunned. "Who is the pastor?" he asked. You guessed it--the 21-year old said, "I am the pastor; there is no one else!"

That brought to mind Leana May Cinquanta of North India, whom I had the privilege of joining Ché Ahn in commissioning as a Harvest International Ministry apostle two or three years ago. When we did that she had planted no fewer than 3,000 churches that were part of her apostolic network. This month, Ché announced to those of us on his HIM Board that Leana had now planted a total of 5,000 churches! She represents this new breed of Christian leaders who are catalyzing the explosion of the gospel in India.

With such exponential growth, the question naturally arises as to the quality of the body of Christ. I have seen no research on this matter, but I will go back to the Indian leaders I spoke to in Alaska. They told me that the new churches in India openly flow in the power of the Holy Spirit with signs and wonders. In fact, I was told of one city which had some 30 to 40 Christian churches, the majority being traditional denominational churches. However, all the churches of the city without exception had now begun moving in the power of the Holy Spirit whether their denominational tradition allowed them to do so or not! They strongly implied that they see what happened there as a trend for the whole nation!

Even though I wrote a book called Humility, I cannot resist telling this last story. As a church-growth analyst, I kept probing the group to see what might have sparked the new pattern of church growth in India over the past 10-15 years. When they simply answered, "Prayer!" I intuitively regarded it as a superficial, religious response and tried to probe a bit deeper. I was wondering if there had been an earthquake or an increase in prosperity or the emergence of some flamboyant charismatic leader or mushrooming technology or an abrupt political change or a major scandal in Hinduism or a social upheaval, or something else along those lines. But, no. The key to them was still clearly intercessory prayer.

After I finished my quasi-sociological questioning, someone then casually mentioned that they thought a key contributing factor to the openness to Christianity was the "Praying through the 10/40 Window" initiative. My heart took a joyous leap! Many readers would know that Doris and I had the privilege of leading the massive AD 2000 United Prayer Track during the decade of the 1990s, and our major thrust was "Praying through the 10/40 Window." Doris still says that those were our greatest years of ministry, and if we had even a small piece of the action we now see in India, I would guess that she is probably right!

www.charismanews.com/world/33604-is-india-the-fastest-growth-gospel-territory

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by OVI75(m): 9:57am On Jan 30, 2016
India though,quiet a place fr souls harvesting .
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by resty4(m): 10:42am On Jan 30, 2016
Praise God. Oh Lord release yr miracles anointg on mssnaries in d field acdg 2 yr word in JESUS precious name n let d NLS believers say A . . . .M.....E. . . . N
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by jiggaz(m): 10:59am On Jan 30, 2016
OVI75:
India though,quiet a place fr souls harvesting .
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by jiggaz(m): 11:00am On Jan 30, 2016
resty4:
Praise God. Oh Lord release yr miracles anointg on mssnaries in d field acdg 2 yr word in JESUS precious name n let d NLS believers say A . . . .M.....E. . . . N
Amen!!!
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by SalC: 12:06pm On Jan 30, 2016
Nigeria Animist
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by UyiIredia(m): 12:37pm On Jan 30, 2016
Good news. All religions will have to admit the FACT that Jesus is the Son of God and not 'just a prophet'. If you want to be a son of God and not a servant of God follow Jesus.

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Annunaki(m): 12:41pm On Jan 30, 2016
Meanwhile islam is dying at a rapid rate globally. grin

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by SalC: 1:09pm On Jan 30, 2016
Annunaki:
Meanwhile islam is dying at a rapid rate globally. grin
Any proof of this or you just wanna mock?
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by genesisproperty: 2:17pm On Jan 30, 2016
Its Jesus or no religion

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by winner01(m): 2:30pm On Jan 30, 2016
The church in d middle east and asia is not only surviving but rising.

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 30, 2016
winner01:
The church in d middle east and asia is not only surviving but rising.
This is good news indeed, never knew.
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 30, 2016
jiggaz:
I am soooo happy when i read this article... For some time i have been worried about people in Asian countries that are not Christians, i always worry about their eternal destiny cos China & India has the biggest population in the world. China is 2.5 Billion and India is 1.2 Billion... They are mostly Atheists & Hindus but today, God through the power of the Holy Spirit is reaching out to them and they converting to Christianity and following Christ in large numbers!!! Hallelujah!!! God is gathering the last set of people before the Rapture... I am sooo Happy!!! Read the article below.....

For some time, probably since the year 2000, I have been saying in public that there are five hot spots for the
gospel in the world today: China, India, Indonesia, Brazil and Nigeria. Interestingly enough, the background of China is atheist, of India Hindu, of Indonesia Muslim, of Brazil Catholic, and of Nigeria animist.

I will refrain from giving details on each of the above, but I usually start with China, the largest nation in the world, reporting the greatest national harvest of souls ever recorded in history, beginning in 1976. Although figures differ, I personally am comfortable agreeing with those who claim that 10 percent of the population is Christian, which would mean that there are around 140 million Christians in that country.

I then customarily go on to say that India, the world's second largest nation, may be seeing church growth similar to that of China, but the facts are more elusive. China is a relatively simple nation with most researchers and scholars in touch with each other and sending out informative reports. This is not the case for India.
Operation World says: "India's ancient, complex and often inscrutable past; its racial, ethnic, religious and linguistic diversity; and the caste system all make detailed population analysis exceedingly difficult." For example, all official public documents from the national government in India have to be released in 22 official languages, and that is out of a total of 456 different languages spoken in the country. With all this in mind, I usually skip over India quite rapidly in describing the hot spots for the gospel, relegating it to a possible second place next to China.

My new friend S.R. Manohar has now caused me to change my mind. He told me that in his meetings with other recognized Christian leaders in Bangalore the consensus has now emerged that India is at least 25 percent Christian with some estimating even a higher percentage. Most of this growth has surfaced within the last 10 to 15 years and it covers both North India (which has been strongly resistant to the gospel) and South India (where the majority of traditional Christians have been located). If this is correct, it would mean that India would have a total of approximately 300 million believers, about twice as many as China. India could well be the number one hot spot for the gospel.

I am aware that some readers of this report would find reasons to doubt the accuracy of Manohar's figures. The India government, for example, paints quite a different picture. Operation World comments, "For many reasons, the most recent census (2001) significantly under enumerated Christians at 2.34 percent. [This would be 28 million Christians - ed.] Christian researchers in India indicate much higher results."

Having said this, the Operation World figure for Christians in India is 71 million, admittedly quite distant from 300 million. However, I cross-examined my Indian friends as much as I knew how, but they would not budge a bit from their numbers. Since I claim no personal expertise in Indian affairs, I cannot give a definitive conclusion. But my friends know that I am the eternal optimist and when I have a choice I tend to see the glass half full, not half empty.

In my conversations in Alaska, I was told that it is becoming more and more common for whole villages or other people groups to all decide to follow Jesus Christ together at one time. This would fulfill the dream of my mentor, Donald McGavran, who, as a career missionary to India, advocated what he called "people movements to Christ."

One of my informants told about how he had been invited by a friend to speak to a group of pastors in an area he had not previously visited. While he was waiting for his friend to arrive at the place of meeting, he noticed that there were a number of young people milling around. The thought passed through his mind that perhaps his friend had really asked him to speak to a youth meeting rather than a pastors' conference. He approached a 21-year old and asked, "Where are you from?" The boy named the village. "Is there a church there?" my informant asked. "Oh, yes." "How many members does it have?" "Around 1,000." "No, I didn't ask for the population of the village, I asked about church membership." With a smile the young man answered, "We have 1,000 in the church and it is also the population of the village!" My informant was stunned. "Who is the pastor?" he asked. You guessed it--the 21-year old said, "I am the pastor; there is no one else!"

That brought to mind Leana May Cinquanta of North India, whom I had the privilege of joining Ché Ahn in commissioning as a Harvest International Ministry apostle two or three years ago. When we did that she had planted no fewer than 3,000 churches that were part of her apostolic network. This month, Ché announced to those of us on his HIM Board that Leana had now planted a total of 5,000 churches! She represents this new breed of Christian leaders who are catalyzing the explosion of the gospel in India.

With such exponential growth, the question naturally arises as to the quality of the body of Christ. I have seen no research on this matter, but I will go back to the Indian leaders I spoke to in Alaska. They told me that the new churches in India openly flow in the power of the Holy Spirit with signs and wonders. In fact, I was told of one city which had some 30 to 40 Christian churches, the majority being traditional denominational churches. However, all the churches of the city without exception had now begun moving in the power of the Holy Spirit whether their denominational tradition allowed them to do so or not! They strongly implied that they see what happened there as a trend for the whole nation!

Even though I wrote a book called Humility, I cannot resist telling this last story. As a church-growth analyst, I kept probing the group to see what might have sparked the new pattern of church growth in India over the past 10-15 years. When they simply answered, "Prayer!" I intuitively regarded it as a superficial, religious response and tried to probe a bit deeper. I was wondering if there had been an earthquake or an increase in prosperity or the emergence of some flamboyant charismatic leader or mushrooming technology or an abrupt political change or a major scandal in Hinduism or a social upheaval, or something else along those lines. But, no. The key to them was still clearly intercessory prayer.

After I finished my quasi-sociological questioning, someone then casually mentioned that they thought a key contributing factor to the openness to Christianity was the "Praying through the 10/40 Window" initiative. My heart took a joyous leap! Many readers would know that Doris and I had the privilege of leading the massive AD 2000 United Prayer Track during the decade of the 1990s, and our major thrust was "Praying through the 10/40 Window." Doris still says that those were our greatest years of ministry, and if we had even a small piece of the action we now see in India, I would guess that she is probably right!

www.charismanews.com/world/33604-is-india-the-fastest-growth-gospel-territory
I hope you do know that the vast majority of Christians in India and China are Catholics.

2 Likes

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Annunaki(m): 2:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
SalC:
Any proof of this or you just wanna mock?

It's true thousands of muslims are renouncing islam every day to become atheists and christians, a little google search will give you all the evidence you need. Even saudi Arabia that is supposedly 97% muslim now has an estimated 10% covert christian population.

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by winner01(m): 3:02pm On Jan 30, 2016
micfranklin:
This is good news indeed, never knew.
I suspect that asia and probably middle east is the next big thing. Those people are converting in thousands. Even though their governments r against christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAICrsmTpA
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by SalC: 3:02pm On Jan 30, 2016
Annunaki:

It's true thousands of muslims are renouncing islam every day to become atheists and christians, a little google search will give you all the evidence you need. Even saudi Arabia that is supposedly 97% muslim now has an estimated 10% covert christian population.
Now do you think we should attribute this to the ability of Christian evangelist to spread the gospel or the hostility in muslim nation that makes it adherents feel the need for a change of faith?.

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by SalC: 3:11pm On Jan 30, 2016
winner01:
I suspect that asia and probably middle east is the next big thing. Those people are converting in thousands. Even though their governments r against christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAICrsmTpA
Persecution sometimes makes people determined to explore the reason for which they are being persecuted or threatened with persecution.
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Annunaki(m): 3:11pm On Jan 30, 2016
SalC:
Now do you think we should attribute this to the ability of Christian evangelist to spread the gospel or the hostility in muslim nation that makes it adherents feel the need for a change of faith?.

Though the reasons for these conversions are varied, I will like to attribute the main reason to God. There are several testimonies of muslims converting after having dreams that encouraged them to convert. This is clearly God at work.
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Demmzy15(m): 3:51pm On Jan 30, 2016
Annunaki:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Annunaki(m): 3:56pm On Jan 30, 2016
Demmzy15:

Go and wash your yellow gworo teeth.tongue
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Demmzy15(m): 4:29pm On Jan 30, 2016
Annunaki:

Go and wash your yellow gworo teeth.tongue
grin grin grin grin So you're still in delusion?!
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Demmzy15(m): 5:13pm On Jan 30, 2016
Op lemme state this clear fact, Christianity in India can never supersede that of Islam or Hinduism. No matter the bragging, someone just stated above that they're mostly Catholics. I hope you also consider them to be heretics because many Christians here consider Catholics to be apostates.
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Rilwayne001: 5:23pm On Jan 30, 2016
shocked grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 30, 2016
This niggás sha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by tartar9(m): 6:53pm On Jan 30, 2016
India 25% xtian undecided from which census? Liar!
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by yazach: 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2016
Annunaki:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, so this is your al-Taqiyyah grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Please change your name to lie
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by yazach: 6:59pm On Jan 30, 2016
Demmzy15:

you also laugh
!! let me laugh my own before you finish am

bukhakhakhakhakhakha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ;Dkhakhakhakhakhakha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The guy should go and change his name to "BIG LIE"
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by pneumaticos(m): 8:11pm On Jan 30, 2016
/rilwayne001
lexiconkabir:
This niggás sha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Demmzy15:
grin grin grin grin So you're still in delusion?!

Guys being along time,oh i saw most of you guys,happy new year who among you is in osun, state

Many muslims are converting to christianity in that state..i am presently there,if any of you is around,we can met

Have a great day guys
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Demmzy15(m): 8:40pm On Jan 30, 2016
pneumaticos:
/rilwayne001

Guys being along time,oh i saw most of you guys,happy new year who among you is in osun, state

Many muslims are converting to christianity in that state..i am presently there,if any of you is around,we can met

Have a great day guys
Another deluded one! Thank God you spoke English today! grin grin
Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by Rilwayne001: 8:41pm On Jan 30, 2016
pneumaticos:
/rilwayne001

Have a great day guys

lol. I am in ibadan BTW

1 Like

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by jiggaz(m): 8:42pm On Jan 30, 2016
The high rate of conversion to Christianity in India, China & Asian countries is nothing but the work of God. There is an outpouring of the Holy Spirit and many testify of Jesus CHRIST visiting them in their dreams to tell them who He really is. This is nothing but God gathering His last set of people in areas where Christianity is not yet mature.

Hindu politicians in India are scared and they asking the government to stop people converting to Christianity cos they fear that in few years time, Christianity & Islam will supersede Hinduism in India. Most of the converts to Christianity in India are Evangelical or Pentecostal Christians... There are Catholics & Anglicans too, i don't discriminate against anyone, they are all my brothers in CHRIST.

Reports from India says that the Holy Spirit is really working mightily in Indian churches through signs & wonders irrespective of the denomination, be it Catholic, Anglican or Pentecostal..... The current Christian population in India now is over 300 Million people!!! Hallelujah!!! Jesus CHRIST is winning!!!!

Most Christians in China & The Middle East, most times do not identify with any Church cos of persecution. They do house to house fellowship & house churches cos of government policy against Christianity. But you know what, they keep converting others and they are steadfast in the Lord. It is written that the blood of the Christians killed acts as a seed to the growth of Christianity!!! The more Christians you kill and persecute, the more Christianity grows!!!!

The current population of Chinese Christians now is over 140 Million people and in the middle East, it is approximately 250 Million people.....

The people that are arguing here, you better receive CHRIST into your life now before it is too late. CHRIST is rounding up His last set of people....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: India Has The Highest Conversion Rate To Christianity In The World by pneumaticos(m): 8:53pm On Jan 30, 2016
Demmzy15:
Another deluded one! Thank God you spoke English today! grin grin

I know could only talk to you in this muslim and christian thing,i understand you still a child

The reason you dont get me is because i usually use up to 3 language in a sentence,..

My stay with hausa s made me understand islam..i was raised by igbos though i had a yoruba father...my mission on theses section is to destroy the pillars of darkness in the mind of men,

You are a muslim...you are lost,your soul is dead,until there is a shining in your heart(your soul remain in darkness )

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beejay Accepts Promise10's Challenge On Blood Money / How To Pray When You Don't Know what To Pray / Lessons I Learned From "My 6 Year Old Brother Does Not Believe In God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.