Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,338 members, 7,819,190 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. (1455 Views)

Billionaire Wife Shade Okoya Dazzles In New Photos / Ashish Thakkar – Africa’s Youngest Billionaire / 71 Year Old Grandma Arrested For Prostitution U.s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. by Abalawa: 6:21pm On Jun 29, 2009
In what was described as the biggest fraud in America's history, Billionaire and Financier Bernie Madoff was today sentenced to 150years imprisonment for duping over 9,000 people.

This is an incredible story. Some kind of 'wonder bank' or what.

Follow it up on:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jun/29/bernard-madoff-sentence
Re: 71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. by Uchek(m): 10:32pm On Jun 29, 2009
If this was Nigeria, he would still be fighting the constitutional right of EFCC to try him. The Court would have adjourned his case countless times. It took less than 7 months (correct me l am wrong) from crime exposure to meting justice.

That's why we call them developed countries. That's why they're progressing at rapid speed to tackle challenges of 21st century. I wonder what Nigerians who try to exonerate corruption with the statement, " corruption is everywere including United States" would say.

Until we tackle corruption headlong, all we'll get is pretense of development.

1 Like

Re: 71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. by kokorunna(m): 1:44pm On Jul 01, 2009
The judge got the sentence right, if he was in UK he will probably get 20 years and if he was in Nigeria he will work FREE. grin
Re: 71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. by Enquirer: 11:57pm On Jul 02, 2009
The sentence reflected the seriousness of the impact his "Baba Ijebu" scheme had on his clients which included both the high and mighty as well as the poor. He shattered lives and created insecurity in old age for a lot of retirees with his deceptive scheme which he ran for decades without detection.

In our clime, he won't even be arrested, talk less of prosecuting him. I'm sure he got what he deserved.
Re: 71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. by wakagirl: 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2009
Poor man he will be regretting he isnt a Nigerian now. He was unfurtunate to be living in the wrong country when he wsa caught. If he lived in my dear country:

We'll pat him on the back
Keep him out of jail
Make some ankara for iyaloja's to dance round town celebrating him
Arrange a special dinner with the president
Give him title in all local govt
Name at least a street after him in all the state

Poor man! Next time come as a Nigerian jare.
Re: 71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. by jamace(m): 9:22pm On Jul 03, 2009
EFCC and Naija judiciary take note.
Re: 71 Year Old Billionaire Bags 150 Years Imprisonment For Fraud. by GeorgeD1(m): 9:56am On Jul 08, 2009
that's what you get for playing on people's intelligence. I hope our
nigerian politicians learn from this too.

(1) (Reply)

Pls.what Business Can I Do With N100,000 Loan? / Good And Profitable Buisness In Nigeria / ILL Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.