Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,982 members, 7,835,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans (1500 Views)

What You Probably Didn't Know About The Small Pocket In Your Jeans / 5 Things To Always Do To Make Your Jeans Last Longer / The Use Of That Small Pocket In Jeans Trouser (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by Marksule(m): 11:47pm On Jan 30, 2016
Ever wondered why it's there? Here's the answer:

You know that small pocket on your jeans? Yes, the one sewn above the right front pocket.

Have you at least once stopped and thought to yourself about why it's there? Like, what exactly is the purpose of it except for maybe keeping a coin or a piece of old chewing gum inside?

If not, don't worry, because some people did it for you.

Back in 2012, someone posted a question to Quora wondering what the deal was with the mysterious pouch, and if it was ever useful for something or is merely a fashion thing. The thread resurfaced a few days ago by people at Perth Now, and has once again caused a stir among trivia and fashion aficionados.

Apparently, this teeny-tiny fifth pocket served a very specific purpose back in the day.

Instagram
Quora user Nitin Sachdev was the first one to offer the answer:

"It's a watch pocket. Back in the 1800s, cowboys used to wear their watches on chains and kept them in their waistcoats. To keep them from getting broken, Levi's introduced this small pocket where they could keep their watch," he wrote.
As Levi Strauss' blog later confirmed, it was indeed "included as protection for pocket watches," but has also served other functions, such as storing condoms, coins, matches, tickets, etc.

Source: http://aplus.com/a/purpose-of-small-jeans-pocket?c=7651&utm_campaign=i111&utm_source=a92292

Moderators i hail
kandiikane
tjskii

Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by Mologi(m): 11:49pm On Jan 30, 2016
This pocket saved me some coins...

back in the days wen we used to wear the real pencil jean that will make u sit down on the floor to it pull off...
Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by madridguy(m): 11:51pm On Jan 30, 2016
But last time I checked na weed boys dey hide for there.
Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by vault(m): 12:33am On Jan 31, 2016
I once folded 1k into that pocket...... and left it there 4 over 2 weeks, thinking i'd lost the money grin

but now only quickie condoms got room there undecided
Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by naijaboiy: 8:48am On Feb 09, 2016
Nice one. grin
Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by bqlekan(m): 8:53am On Feb 09, 2016
Well thanks. We have other use for it

1 Like

Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:55am On Feb 09, 2016
I don buy fake jeans be that.... cry.....cos the one wey I dey wear now "chewing gum safe" no dey.
Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by Lsofdk(m): 10:15am On Feb 09, 2016
i have never wondered why it's there, i put anything putable there, why would i even put a watch there undecided
Re: Here's The True Purpose Of That Small Pocket In The Front Of Your Jeans by eddyline(m): 1:36pm On Feb 09, 2016
Nice to know that the pocket I search for the possibility of finding any lost money when am broke is actually meant to house a watch.

(1) (Reply)

10 Solid Reasons You Should Wear Wigs Ladies!!! / Original Inner Wear For Men 100% BYC AND LUX Products . / I Have Hugo Boss Perfume For Sale And Pure Arabian Oil Perfumes For Sale Intresr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.