Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,655 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] (2923 Views)

TECNO’s New All-in1 DroiPad Tablet PC Set to Change the Status Quo With REMIX OS / Leaked Images And Specs: TECNO Droipad 10 Pro II To Feature Android Remix OS / How To Run Linux OS On Your Android Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by PhonePlanet(m): 4:34am On Jan 31, 2016
Hey guys! so i found out about REMIX OS some weeks ago, watched some videos and loved it and since then wanted to try it out. well things did not go so well like i thought it would.

WHAT IS REMIX OS?
Remix OS is Android OS re-designed to work and look like a regular PC operating system like windows. The custom OS was based on Android x86, a previous Android custom OS already made to run on PC, Android x86 installation was what i shared two years ago.

How to install REMIX OS
First you should know This is an alpha version intended for developers and early adopters who don’t mind a bug or two or five or fifteen or three hundred on twenty seven grin

you'll need:
1. USB flash drive
2. A working PC
3. Internet connection
4. a phone that browse, so you can open this page on it, and keep reading.

STEP 1
Head over to Remix OS for PC site HERE and download the package. scroll down and tick the box that says "I am a developer and have read the above message" Then click on the first download i.e Remix OS for PC Package (Legacy). The file is 688mb but after downloaded and extracted, it becomes 2.10GB. you can Download Torrent you prefer that and you have a torrent manager like utorrent to download the main file.

After downloading and extracting the package you should find 3 files inside which are:
1. How to Launch Remix OS for PC.txt
2. Remix_OS_for_PC_64_B2016011402_Alpha_Legacy.iso
3. remixos-usb-tool-B2016011401.exe

the first is a text document file, the second a disk image file, then the third an application. i know you're suppose but i just had to add it for the wink

STEP 2
Insert the USB drive you want to use, preferably empty, then run the application(3), in the first box that says "ISO file" click browse and browse for and select the disk image file(2). then click on the box that says "USB disk" and select the letter path assigned to your USB flash drive. Then click "OK". the process might delay a little when it gets to 93%, just chill cool. when its done, click on reboot now to try it immediately or exit to reboot later (that if you are using your system at that moment and you cant just afford to shut it down).

But lets assume we all rebooted now. your system should boot from the USB drive and you should something like what is in the picture below asking you to choose between "Resident mode" or "Guest mode".

If you've seen this proceed to Step 6. If not, proceed to Step 3.

STEP 3
Make your system boot from the USB flash drive by taping f12 on your keyboard before it begins too boot and selecting the USB drive. on some systems it is esc key, then f9. whatever your system brings out, just find your way to boot options or google it out. if you can see the what's the the image above now, skip to step 6. if not, go on to step 4.

Step 4
after the above step, your PC should boot from the USB Drive but might not show anything or write "no operating system found" or any other error at all. don't worry, just remove the USB and forget! grin just KIDDING!! grin grin.... Unplug the flash drive and start up the system, now head over HERE and download "Universal USB Installer" by clicking Download UUI

Step 5
plug the USB drive back run Universal USB Installer click "i agree" and "Create", then at step 1 choose "Try Unlisted Linux ISO", step 2 browse to the iso(2), Step 3 choose your flash drive from the drop down menu. its advisable you tick the box that says we would format the drive, you can only ignore it if you have valuable files on the drive you don't want to move or delete. Then click create, Click "yes" on the next dialog and wait for the installation to complete. in the process it should close file explore, open 7z to extract the files, when done just close.

NOW RESTART cheesy if you see something like the last image in step 2, proceed to step 6, if not go back to step 3. if after the above steps, you cant still see it, then you are not following the steps well or maybe you system was made in 2000 grin

Step 6

Resident mode means the system would store anything you do on the OS, like settings and apps and files, usually takes very long to boot up at first time.
Guest mode means nothing saves! so no matter all the files you transfer into it, and settings you change, they all wipe when you restart the system. and its much faster to boot up.

Now its left for you to choose one and press Enter! at this point the OS should start booting up! if yours booted, you should see some sort of terminal/CMD ish, then android x86 logo, then Remix OS logo glowing and dimming indicating its booting.

now the truth is not every system would pass this level. My own personal system is very old (came with windows vista) it did not even show android x86 logo before it restarted over and over again...same thing. i tested it on two other systems which go tho Remix OS logo and stayed there like forever, did some research and found out it sometimes boot into guest mode but hangs in resident mode, and select systems it works on... Bottom line, IT DOES NOT WORK ON ALL SYSTEMS. until i came across a system using Intel i7 and then it worked perfectly. now I'm not saying you must use a system with i7 before it can work, and there are no really specification requirements anywhere on the web for remix os, so until you try it, i don't know if it would work on your system or not!

if yours booted fine, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! if not, here is a heart for you to take

For the lucky ones you should see some stuffs at first just click OK, accept, skip or whatever comes out. The image below is the desktop screen of remix OS on the system i used. mind you, i already changed the wallpaper

sh*t! that game is impossible!!!

Step 7
you would notice your mouse is misbehaving, just click "settings" then "language & input" then scroll down by holding and dragging or use keyboard direction down to mouse/trackpad and click on pointer speed and reduce the speed to a level you are comfy with.

ENJOY!!
remember the OS is on the flash drive and not your PC

but then.............
HOW TO INSTALL APPS
you can install apps by inserting an external drive with apk files in it into the extra USB port and just click to install. Or download (if you are connected to the internet via WiFi), you can also receive files via Bluetooth. after installing flashshare/xender you can use it for file sharing but advisable to join network instead of hosting.

CAN I DUAL BOOT REMIX OS ON MY PC DIRECTLY WITH MY WIDOWS?
YES

HOW?
I'm already tired o! i wan sleep! usher go disturb me tire for church today grin

okay serious now...
Step A
IN WINDOWS OS: go HERE, fill in your name and email, tho its optional, then hit download!

Step B
Create a new Disk partition, search your pc for "partition", "part" should do self, open "Create and Format Disk Partition which should be the main and first result. wait for it to load up

Step C
select a previous partition with enough space, right click and shrink memory, wait for it to load up, the enter the amount of space to shrink,16GB (about 16,000MB) recommended. then shrink! the new space which is unallocated should appear!

Step D
Right click on the unallocated volume and click on new simple volume, a wizard should open, just click next until you get to screen asking you for format settings. Use FAT32 for file system and tick quick format if the box is not ticked the click next till it creates. it should be created but if it fails to format just reformat the space in file explorer and remember to use FAT32 as file system. if it does not show in file explorer, right click on the volume and click "Change Drive letter And paths" click "add" assign a letter and choose OK. thaz all.

Step E
Now copy the extracted files from the Remix OS package into the new partition. Also copy all the files in the USB flash drive that the system booted from and paste there(new partition)

Step F
Now open Easy BCD (what we downloaded in step A) click on "add new entry" then select "ISO" in the second sets of tabs below, click on the icon beside the box beside "path" and select the ISO file inside the new partition i.e (2) in its new position which is inside the new partition. then click on add entry! that's all! then reboot! you wont need the flash drive anymore.

PHEW!!!
ANY QUESTIONS?
Just let me know.

let me use this opportunity to ask established bloggers who need a writer that I'm available! smiley I too need money to take care of my self! wink cool
i tried to contact missytech but i doubt she knows i exist.

Good day!

cc lalasticlala, seun, honsule

1 Like

Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by toys2seven(m): 5:10am On Jan 31, 2016
Oh boy... Let me go and sleep and wake up first.
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by khalhokage(m): 7:04am On Jan 31, 2016
Lalasticlala fp material for those that can follow instructions.
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 31, 2016
Sighs
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by maxjax(m): 7:34am On Jan 31, 2016
Nice tut..... Actually saw patches of this on jide's Web page
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by PhonePlanet(m): 6:03pm On Jan 31, 2016
reserved for additions

How To Install Google Play store On Remix OS
Note that you’ll want to do this while running Remix OS in resident mode. If you run in guest mode, anything you do will be erased after you reboot you PC… and since the instructions require a reboot, that means there’s currently no way to install the Play Store in guest mode.

1. Download the GMSInstaller.apk from the xda-developers forum

2. Click the downloaded file to install it.

3. Run the GMSInstaller app.

4. Select “One-click to install Google Services.”

5. After the Google services are downloaded and installed, open the Remix OS Settings app and go to Applications, find the “Manager Applications” option, and then choose “All.”

6. Scroll down until you see Google Play Services, select it, and click the “Manage space” link, and click the “Clear All Data” option on the next screen.

7. Find Google Google Services Framework the same way, and this time just click the “Clear Data” button.

8. Reboot Remix OS.

That might be all you need to do. You should see the Play Store in your app menu, and the first time you run it you’ll be prompted to login with your Google username and password.

Some users have found that you may also need to change the time zone in the Remix OS settings to match your current location before you can actually download and install apps. Others have noted that you may need to update Google Play Services by opening a web browser, searching for Google Play Services, following a link to the Google Play Store, and then clicking the update button. smiley wink cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by PhonePlanet(m): 3:39pm On Dec 08, 2016
lalasticlala you know this is one of my nicest topics that never got to fp.
misstechy you should check out this article too. written by me
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by Inside(m): 3:53pm On Dec 08, 2016
Trash. undecided undecided undecided
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by PhonePlanet(m): 6:31pm On Dec 08, 2016
Inside:
Trash. undecided undecided undecided
fan alert!
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by Nobody: 12:23am On Dec 21, 2016
Thanks for this. I dont have a phone and currently downloading the new one with android 6.0 of 850mb with airtel plan grin grin(Was there need for the story?)
Well... 562mb downloaded... Would update when done
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by Whizpeter(m): 8:45am On Dec 21, 2016
pachman:
Thanks for this. I dont have a phone and currently downloading the new one with android 6.0 of 850mb with airtel plan grin grin(Was there need for the story?)
Well... 562mb downloaded... Would update when done

Thanks for bringing my attention to this thread... Where can I get the new one? Same link above? Cos I wanna download and install it this night...
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by PhonePlanet(m): 11:17am On Dec 21, 2016
Whizpeter:

Thanks for bringing my attention to this thread... Where can I get the new one? Same link above? Cos I wanna download and install it this night...
just google search remix os
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by Whizpeter(m): 12:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
PhonePlanet:
Gracias
Re: How To Install Remix Os On Your PC [edited] by Whizpeter(m): 12:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
PhonePlanet:
Gracias

(1) (Reply)

Problem With MTN Sim And Saving Of Contacts / How To Stop ur android phone 4rm auto updating app / Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Gear To Hit Nigeria On October 1st: Pre-orders On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.