Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? (19450 Views)

5 Most Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children / Why Is It That There's No Common Name For A Person That Loses A Child? / What Are The Advantages Of Marrying Your Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Ndipe(m): 2:42am On Sep 08, 2023
Yes, it is a unisex name. Bassey is for males while for females it can also be Bassey or Basseyanwan.

illicit:

Is Bassey a unisex name

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by EmekaA125(m): 5:32am On Sep 08, 2023
Ibrahimlagosian:
Ok,i guess i admit you're right but this are the names we hausa people use.most traditional names in hausa are affiliated or from a particular ethnic group but here are some hausa traditional names i know;
Idi
Garba
Faruk
Babangida
For the females,we have;
Umaima
Maijidda
Hausa-Fulani tribe has lost their traditional and aboriginal identity to Islam belief. Most names you mentioned are Islamic names.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Stonem: 6:34am On Sep 08, 2023
Samantha124:
Sepedi tribe.
Southie ??
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by MadamExcellency: 6:45am On Sep 08, 2023
PureNigerDeltan:

How do you say “my God will not fail”?

God is too faithful.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Busu001: 7:07am On Sep 08, 2023
DarkJeddi:
⁷ These are Muslim names,not Hausa names..
oga, it is said that tribe names, I'm a Nupe man, so I'm less concerned with what you mean to pass to me.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Ndipe(m): 8:08am On Sep 08, 2023
For the ibos, I think Emeka and Ngozi are the two most popular names for the male and female gender. However, Uche might overshadow both names since it is a unisex name. I probably know more people bearing Uche than either Emeka or Ngozi.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 08, 2023
Yep.
Stonem:
Southie ??
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 08, 2023
Sepedi tribe.
Akuruoulo:

South African.
Tell us the tribe

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by DarkJeddi(m): 9:17am On Sep 08, 2023
Busu001:
oga, it is said that tribe names, I'm a Nupe man, so I'm less concerned with what you mean to pass to me.
They are Arabic Muslim names Oga or are you arguing with that?

Non of the names you listed are TRIBAL Hausa or Nupe names..

Did you see any other,naming non Tribal names?

I no get time for arguments abeg.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Sleekfingers: 12:02pm On Sep 08, 2023
Fhemmmy:
Femi - love me
OlaJide - Wealth awakened
Kunle - Wealth boku
Bayo -
Figure out the tribe.

Tunde, Femi, kemi, yemi, wale, yinka, titi, funmi, Sade, kunle, bukola, jide are the most common yoruba names .
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Sleekfingers: 12:06pm On Sep 08, 2023
Onewazobia:

Rather Ola
Oluwa
Ife
Etc

Ola, oluwa, olu, ife are not full names

Eg oladapo, oluwafemi, ifedapo, olawale, oluwole, oluwakemi, oluwafumilayo etc
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Sleekfingers: 12:07pm On Sep 08, 2023
haffaze777:
Ola

Ola is not a full name. No yoruba parents will ever just name their children OLA......
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Onewazobia(m): 12:15pm On Sep 08, 2023
Sleekfingers:

Ola, oluwa, olu, ife are not full names

Eg oladapo, oluwafemi, ifedapo, olawale, oluwole, oluwakemi, oluwafumilayo etc

Okay. Thanks
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by AsEnemali(m): 1:12pm On Sep 08, 2023
You no add obinna
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by tomju2(f): 2:56pm On Sep 08, 2023
Ndipe:
For an Ibibio man I think that Ubong (for males) and Enobong (for females) are two of the most popular names. But then it may be disputable.

What about your tribe?

Ubong means honor

Enobong means gift
Ubong in ibibio does not mean honour! It means rulership of God. Or God's rulership. Ubong-abasi is the full name. Enobong- or Eno-abasi means Gift from God of God's gift. Most Ibibio names are attached with the suffix obong or abasi meaning God. Enobong, Enoabasi,Uduakobong Uduakabasi,Imeobong,Imeabasi,Udemeobong, Udemeabasi, Mfonobong,Mfonabasi,Iboro-obong,Iboro-abasi Eno-gift, Uduak-will, Ime-patience,Udeme-share , Mfon-grace,Iboro-answers to prayers. It is generally believed that Children are gifts from God. Hence many families especially in the 60's, 70's and 80's give their kids native names with obong or abasi in tow.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by PureNigerDeltan(m): 5:23pm On Sep 08, 2023
MadamExcellency:

God is too faithful.
I mean in igbo
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Ndipe(m): 7:01pm On Sep 08, 2023
Sosongo for the correction.

tomju2:

Ubong in ibibio does not mean honour! It means rulership of God. Or God's rulership. Ubong-abasi is the full name. Enobong- or Eno-abasi means Gift from God of God's gift. Most Ibibio names are attached with the suffix obong or abasi meaning God. Enobong, Enoabasi,Uduakobong Uduakabasi,Imeobong,Imeabasi,Udemeobong, Udemeabasi, Mfonobong,Mfonabasi,Iboro-obong,Iboro-abasi Eno-gift, Uduak-will, Ime-patience,Udeme-share , Mfon-grace,Iboro-answers to prayers. It is generally believed that Children are gifts from God. Hence many families especially in the 60's, 70's and 80's give their kids native names with obong or abasi in tow.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Akuruoulo(m): 8:36pm On Sep 08, 2023
Samantha124:
Sepedi tribe.
Ur TRIBE too
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 08, 2023
Yep.
Akuruoulo:

Ur TRIBE too
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by wiseone28: 9:19am On Sep 09, 2023
[quote author=chybuzky post=125643302][/quote] You quote me for What?
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by wiseone28: 9:19am On Sep 09, 2023
chybuzky:
You quote me for What?
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by davidtuzy(m): 12:17pm On Sep 10, 2023
illicit:

Is Bassey a unisex name
No it's For Male Only
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by poshestmina(f): 4:15am On Sep 11, 2023
illicit:

There's someone actually called IbiFURO

Yes...?
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by illicit(m): 6:25am On Sep 11, 2023
poshestmina:

Yes...?

FURO ke

shocked
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Yinkusgold: 9:00am On Sep 11, 2023
Bukola94:
Ola,Bukola,Olamide,Olaide,Abiola,Abolaji,Mobolaji,Mobayo,Sola,B ukky,Ayo, common and both sexes bear the names

Yinka has many prefixes such as Ade-yinka , Ola-yinka , Omo-yinka , Owo - yinka , Olu - yinka , Ayo - yinka e.t.c which even makes the name more common and spread , Yinka is a very common and lovely name for both sexes.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Ndipe(m): 11:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
My friend, who is Yoruba, told me that the name Yinka doesnt exist, instead the real name is Yimika.

Yinkusgold:

Yinka has many prefixes such as Ade-yinka , Ola-yinka , Omo-yinka , Owo - yinka , Olu - yinka , Ayo - yinka e.t.c which even makes the name more common and spread , Yinka is a very common and lovely name for both sexes.
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Yinkusgold: 8:56pm On Sep 14, 2023
Ndipe:
My friend, who is Yoruba, told me that the name Yinka doesnt exist, instead the real name is Yimika.

Tell that your friend that yinka and yimika are varieties of the same name .
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by Yinkusgold: 9:00pm On Sep 14, 2023
Ndipe:

Tell that your friend that yinka and yimika are varieties of the same name .
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by makaveli902: 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2023
AeroplaneApple:
Chidinma -
Chioma -
Amaka -
Somadina - May I not be alone.
Chikamso - I am following God.
Chibuzo - God is the way.
Uzodimma - The road is good.
Uzoma - Good.
Ogugua - Consolation.
Okenna - Father's share.
Nwachukwu - God's child.

It is not complete without Uche and Emeka
Re: Which Is The Most Common Name In Your Tribe? by makaveli902: 1:02pm On Sep 17, 2023
koiki4bat:
Cedric

So Cedric is a common name in your tribe?
What tribe do you belong to? undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Male Lion Was Sterilized And His Lion Wives Killed Him / Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos / Ijaw Women Of America Elect New Executives With Deborah Abbey As President And

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.