Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,925 members, 7,810,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Igala People: Identify Urself's - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala People: Identify Urself's (20980 Views)

Proud Awori People Identify Yourselves Here / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Esan People Identify Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 10:57am On Nov 19, 2010
The Clown:

With time though, 'enw ki kp'ane na a d'oji dufu fai.' (Literally: That which cracks the land will bring out its head with time).

I am believing it to be a good time then!

Come to think of it, with those strong proverb of yours 'am begining to think you may have little knowledge about "Egwu Affia " masqurade (about 10mtr tall proto-ancestral masqurade that emerges from the sacred grove yearly). believed by the elders to be a spririt of their dead fathers.

Those proverbs and lots of other incantations are chants on the "Egwu Affia" masqurade to either appease, command, influence or pacify the spirit in the masqurade. Some of us who grown in the village knows better about this.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by TheClown: 3:44pm On Nov 19, 2010
Yea, Exactly the masquerade called 'Egwu Affia' in Igala is what we the Idomas call 'Alekwu'.

Alekwu literally mean ancestors. About 8 metres tall, chants proverbs and parables, sometimes in Igala language even. Just no difference.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 3:46pm On Nov 19, 2010
Interesting indeed!!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by poweredcom(m): 10:20pm On Nov 19, 2010
@Libra38

Woow Igala is a Nice tribe, Which i am proud of but we all should be Oneness whether located around the River Niger to the border of edo state, but I am in Lagos based, I cant speak Igala, because nobody to flow with it and born and bred n Lagos, can some one get the book to learn Igala

@The Clown

Great Woow Ocho Idango, heheh would love to learn Idoma, hehe Na Tuface song I hear dat one,
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 7:20am On Nov 22, 2010
@ poweredcom

No doubt, Igala tribe is a nice tribe. We are peace loving and hospitable.

Sure you can get a book on Igala language even there in Lagos, but you must have a mentor to put through the book.

Try and get a mentor that will be willing to put through while I conduct a reaserch on where you can get the book in Lagos.

Me gba chaka! (thank you all)
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by cheikh: 9:20pm On Dec 27, 2010
@poweredCom- the best education is "Travel" grin not google/research :-. Unfortunately many Nigerians don't travel enough within their own country, hence a majority of them have never heard of the IGALA. You should wonder/worry about what else a lot of Nigerians do not know of their fellow compatriots. The state of Education in Nigeria / the psyche of Nigerians in relation to so called minority ethnic groups is worrying indeed. Deliberate ignorance is so common and acceptable amongst Nigerians that it's almost shocking/frightening shocked Majority of Nigerians have misguided 'knowledge'/education of everything 'local' if not 'abroad'/foreign but lack knowledge/awareness of their compatriot. Such ignorance is so pervasive amongst the so called larger ethnic groups as you'll discover. It's fashionable to be ignorant/insensitive- Fulani,Hausa, Igbo, Ijaw and Yoruba alphabetically of course grin cool
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Ogbuefi11: 4:32am On Jan 06, 2011
The Igala and western Igbo share a lot in common.Traditionally ,the Western Igbo call the Igala "Igah".Some western IGbo towns are said to have originated from Igala and in the town of Ebu an Igala dialect persists.The Igala are the closest friends to Igbos.This is my personal opinion.

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 10:30am On Jan 13, 2011
@ Ogbuefi 1

Tump up!!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by vanillaz: 10:03am On Jun 07, 2011
read up on tese tribes on www.nammywedding.com/articles
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Dede1(m): 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2011
Ogbuefi 1:

The Igala and western Igbo share a lot in common.Traditionally ,the Western Igbo call the Igala "Igah".Some western IGbo towns are said to have originated from Igala and in the town of Ebu an Igala dialect persists.The Igala are the closest friends to Igbos.This is my personal opinion.

While I agree with you on the postulation that Igala are closest friends to Igbo, the people of Ibibio, Annang, Ogoni, “Okirika and Kalabari” can not be overlooked too.

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Evalex: 4:19pm On Jul 06, 2011
cry undecided i really want to learn hw to speak igala any suggestion on how to go about it although my parents anit from there , just have an interest in the languagetongue
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Evalex: 4:25pm On Jul 06, 2011
oh yh any where can i gt a book in the UK, lmaoo i was searching on google translation cudnt find any for igala undecided cry
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by VolvoS60(m): 8:25am On Jul 13, 2011
Amefu mi,

Abu me le? wink
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by ojochidem(m): 6:36am On Aug 17, 2011
Yes we are here ooo. Join the purely IGALA FORUM now on www.iamigala.com Me wa ka du wewe wa han, Me di website yi kpogo nyon nyon.

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by jamace(m): 7:00pm On Jan 05, 2012
Me gba oo, abomi ibe Igala. Ame gbo kpo odo tito 2012? Ugbede chei ojo ki dumi nwu wa, grin grin
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Obalufon: 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
igala language is yoruboid but influenced by its neighboring tribes idoma, nupe and northern igbo.is very easy for igala people to understand Yoruba language.

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by AnOlderAmerican(m): 6:40pm On Oct 03, 2013
I am an American in the

USA and have yet to travel to Nigeria, even I know who the IGALA are.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by onila(f): 10:18pm On Oct 03, 2013
Igala women are beautiful

pls if u have pictures of Igala ladies, pls share with us

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by AndreUweh(m): 12:01am On Oct 04, 2013
Obalufon: igala language is yoruboid but influenced by its neighboring tribes idoma, nupe and northern igbo.is very easy for igala people to understand Yoruba language.
Not Yoruboid at all.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by kogiataglance: 12:57pm On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Obalufon: 2:02am On Oct 31, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Not Yoruboid at all.

They are yoruboid .Mr uweh do you speak igala?

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:48am On Oct 31, 2013
I know it contains some Yoruba words but that doesn't make it Yoruboid. Igala people are very close to the Igbo. Infact you will find it hard to distinguish and Igala man from the Igbo. We are like blood brothers. They are very nice people;Infact,too nice to a fault.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Kponkwem(m): 2:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
Abagworo: northern igbos are in present day anambra,enugu,ebonyi,imo and abia while southern igbos are in imo,abia,akwaibom,rivers and delta.the southern igbos might have migrated from the north but it is highly disputed as their oral traditions talk little about it.there is also the north-eastern igbos who have high mix of ibibio and other crossriver groups.

There is no doubt about it. They include: Arochukwu, Bende, Ohafia etc. Culturally similar to Akwa Cross and have proximity for farming and markets
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Obalufon: 1:54pm On Nov 16, 2013
NRI PRIEST: I know it contains some Yoruba words but that doesn't make it Yoruboid. Igala people are very close to the Igbo. Infact you will find it hard to distinguish and Igala man from the Igbo. We are like blood brothers. They are very nice people;Infact,too nice to a fault.

Igala language is certainly yoroboid but they're not yoruba.If you are verse in etymology you will know their language is yoruboid we're from one language branch the split occurred in distance past in Niger benue region. also we're historical linked together

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by ConsciousMind: 1:05am On Jul 22, 2014
Hi guys, please contribute to this thread,

https://www.nairaland.com/1823329/kogi-east-2015#24869451
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:38pm On Jul 22, 2014
Abagworo: northern igbos are in present day anambra,enugu,ebonyi,imo and abia while southern igbos are in imo,abia,akwaibom,rivers and delta.the southern igbos might have migrated from the north but it is highly disputed as their oral traditions talk little about it.there is also the north-eastern igbos who have high mix of ibibio and other crossriver groups.

Anybody who believe this propaganda should have themselves checked.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by ConsciousMind: 2:59am On Jul 23, 2014
Hi guys, please contribute to this thread,

https://www.nairaland.com/1823329/kogi-east-2015#24869451

omogba:
Let's identify and know ourselves. I mean Name, Village, Place of resident & other intresting personal data.

Name: Ogijo Abu

Village: Ayangba

Resident: Abuja

Work: Engineering Company

WHAT ABOUT YOU!!

let's start from here afterward we discuss topic of common intrest
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 01, 2016
poweredcom:
me olu le ame uwe we demi fa. olane i am an igala boi from illushi which bother edo state and ibaji south kogi infact we are the largest igala community out side kogi state those in ugbedo anambra are just small and ebu north delta state also .IGALAS should embrace unity to their people in and out of kogi state. some nigerians are brain dead they cant research about other tribes in their country

Pls can u translate 'anyi' from igala-igbo to English my pals supposed babe saved his name as 'anyiDavid'. Thanks.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 01, 2016
Libra38:

@ Poweredcom

I am a full fledge Igala man, but people who knows me mistake me as an Ibo man.

@ TewMuch

Alot of simillarities exist beetwen Igalas and Yoruba, we the younger generations find it difficult to actually pin point the reasons.

Meanwhile, below is an extract from wikipedia I hope this and more research will solve some of our imaginery questions.

Origin
The Igala are identified by the old oral tradition of Western Igbos as descendants of Igbo migrants who migrated westward during the expansion of the proto-Igbo peoples at the beginning of the 1st millennium. The Yoruba are in turn identified by some Igalas as descendants who continued on west and eventually settled across Western Nigeria and Benin.

The traditional Igala society is largely agrarian, although fishing is also a mainstay of the people especially the Igalas of the riverine Idah area.

Boston (1968) believes that the central geographical location of the Igala people has exposed them to a wide variety of linguistic as well as cultural influences from other ethnic groups in the country. Notable among these are the Igbira, the Bini, the Igbo, the Hausa, the Idoma and the Yoruba ethnic groups. However, the most significant relationship, by far, is that between the Igala and the Yoruba peoples.

Igala and Yoruba have important historical and cultural relationships. The languages of the two ethnic groups bear such a close resemblance that researchers such as Forde (1951) and Westermann and Bryan (1952) regarded Igala as a dialect of Yoruba.

Akinkugbe (1976,1978) is of the opinion that based on evidence, Igala is neither a dialect of Yoruba nor a language resulting from the fusion of Yoruba and Idoma as claimed by Silverstein, but rather Igala shares a “common ancestor” with Yoruba. In her words, “… this common ancestor was neither Yoruba nor Igala but what we have labeled here as Proto-Yoruba-Isekiri–Igala (PYIG). The evidence suggest further that presumably, Igala separated form the group before the split of Yoruba into the present day Yoruba dialects considering the extent of linguistic divergence found between Igala on one hand, and the rest of Yoruba on the other” (1978: 32) Akinkugbe cites lexicostatistic evidence as well as evidence of sound shifts and lexical innovations as support or corroboration of this claim.

Other comparative works aimed at investigating the language status of Igala (directly and indirectly) are Omamor (1967) and Williamson (1973). In fact, Williamson is the originator of the label ‘Yoruboid’ for the group of languages comprising Yoruba, Isekiri and Igala for the purpose of distinguishing “between Yoruba as a language on the one hand, and Yoruba, Isekiri and Igala as a genetic group on the other”. (Akinkugbe 1976:1) Akinkugbe refers to the proto- language of the group as Proto-Yoruboid in 1976 and Proto-Yoruba-Isekiri-Igala (PYIG) in 1978

Contemporary historians believe that the Igala most likely shared a proto-Kwa ancestry with the modern Igbo and Yoruba people as well as most ethnic groups of Nigeria today. Thus, the ethnic family would include not only the prior two, but groups like the Idoma, and the Nupe to the north.

Pls can u translate 'anyi' from igala-igbo to English my pals supposed babe saved his name as 'anyiDavid'. Thanks.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Obalufon: 9:39pm On Apr 28, 2016
Historian.. Igala are yoroboid even share similar oral tradition with Yoruba and culture

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Emmyk(m): 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
Was in Anyigba, an Igala land for 4 years for my Bsc program. Glad I learnt a bit of their language. grin
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by geebril(m): 11:53pm On Mar 07, 2017
VolvoS60:

Amefu mi,

Abu me le? wink
ashor lafiaya... Ukolor ha?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Catriona Laing Visits Ooni Of Ife [photo] / Is Pidgin English From Portuguese? / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.