Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Nigerian Habits We Should Curb - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Habits We Should Curb (569 Views)

NCC Vows To Curb Hate Speeches In Social Media / What Is Recession And How To Curb It / How Government Can Curb Unemployment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Habits We Should Curb by GreyLaw(m): 7:29pm On Feb 01, 2016
There's a funny quip that there are three races in the world: Whites, Blacks, and Nigerians. As reductionist as it sounds given the many other races we have in the world, one cannot help but notice the tangy aftertaste such a remark leaves.

Seriously speaking, a good number of Nigerians love to have their way in everything. And it can be a good or bad trait depending on how you look at it. Good because it sees us through difficult times and situations; bad because we find it easy to break rules, all in a bid to have our way.

I subscribe to the opinion that Nigerians are good people, and am not being sentimental here, but I think we would be better people if we cut down on these things:

#1 Tribalism

We shamelessly throw invectives at other tribes and go at one another's throats with reckless abandon. We have stereotyped tribes with particular names and crimes. Nairaland as a case in point, you hear sorry things like "cone heads, flat heads, red roof republic, erosion republic", etc.

I understand that these words can be sometimes bandied about to catch fun, which isn't bad, but when we begin to hate on people because they are not from our tribe, then, there's a problem.

#2 Disrespect to our leaders

Sincerely, we stink in this area. The kind of vitriol we pour on our leaders, especially the president, is mind-boggling. Playing the you-started-it-first card, is not an excuse. People from other climes read nairaland, and they may have an iron-cast idea that we are a disrespectful lot.

We should remember that our leaders didn't fall off the heavens; they were bred and 'buttered' in Nigeria, as Nigerians. Whatever wrong they are doing today, the average Nigerian will do the same, or worse, if given the opportunity. Let us put hands together and build a better nation with better leaders. It starts with YOU.

#3 Use of expletives

When you read foreign forums, there is decorum and decency in use of words, and there is a proper flow of thoughts put in writing. On here, we use expletives and cuss words like no man's business. We never get to care about the very young people who come online and read all the terrible things we write. The ripple effect this has on the younger generation means this trend may not change anytime soon.

#4 Too much haste

Sometimes I don't know where we're rushing to. We think traffic lights are crayon colors, and disobey it most of the time. Young people roll over themselves in football gambling houses all in the quest for quick money. People in privileged positions, both corporate and political, want to steal at every opportunity so as to get quick money. People work hard to import or export contrabands, so they can hit it big.

Maybe we should slow it down a bit and start getting it right. We have all it takes to build a great 21st century country, but this can only happen when we stop putting the cart before the horse

cc: lalasticlala seun
Re: Nigerian Habits We Should Curb by BLINGZ88: 7:52pm On Feb 01, 2016
Land 4 sale
Re: Nigerian Habits We Should Curb by HtwoOw: 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2016
Tribalism will never end as long as some people claim marginalization

Elders will be disrespected as long as they steal $2.1B and make greed policies to enrich themselves

Nigerians will continue to use hateful words because everybody produces a blog for the traffic and the money, But they complain of decree 8 that'll bring decorum some go as far as sharing nudies without licence or permission, poor censoring on part of NBC and without that decree this will continue

Too much haste? Wailers incorporated GEJ did not end BH in 5 years

Did not make $ equal to 1 naira , but they want a certificate less Dullard to make it happen despite the fact that they literally bled nigeria's finances to death

That's my answer
Re: Nigerian Habits We Should Curb by biafranbaby(m): 7:59pm On Feb 01, 2016
The reverse is the case for me.

Tribalism: This is as natural as breathing.

Respect for elders: This is simply backwardness disguised as humility. This is simply why Africa is backwards. You are genetically better and more intelligent than your elders. Who should respect whom? All elders should retire and let younger generation manage things if we must advance.

Use of expletives: There is this thing called "freedom of speech" which I believe must be absolute, even if it offends.

Too much haste: Have you not heard that successful men are always in a hurry? Laziness of Nigerians is legendary and here you are promoting more laziness. We must make haste and shun laziness.
Re: Nigerian Habits We Should Curb by GreyLaw(m): 9:02pm On Feb 01, 2016
biafranbaby:
The reverse is the case for me.

Tribalism: This is as natural as breathing.

Respect for elders: This is simply backwardness disguised as humility. This is simply why Africa is backwards. You are genetically better and more intelligent than your elders. Who should respect whom? All elders should retire and let younger generation manage things if we must advance.

Use of expletives: There is this thing called "freedom of speech" which I believe must be absolute, even if it offends.

Too much haste: Have you not heard that successful men are always in a hurry? Laziness of Nigerians is legendary and here you are promoting more laziness. We must make haste and shun laziness.

You just succeeded in turning it downside up! Too much haste and smartness are two different things. I don't know what you mean when you refer to respect for elders as backwardness. Youths are smart, but with grey hair comes experience. If it massages your ego to believe that younger people are more intelligent than the oldies, no problem, but experience and age go hand in hand and must be respected.

(1) (Reply)

Amnesty Slams Nigeria's Leader Over 'war Crimes' General / BACKLASH: Still On The Maritime Varsity By Abraham Ogbodo / What Do You Expect From President Osibanjo To Do N This 6 Days In Power-e_mili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.