Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:46 PM

Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? (11543 Views)

5 Reasons It Is Better To Work In Lagos Than Abuja / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / Lady Sacked For Not Wearing Bra To Work In US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by calcal: 8:46pm On Feb 03, 2016
family own business for family is okay but employee (husband and wife in a small company not good). imagine all your family income is just coming from a small business owner, thats terrible - fire one, the second follow.
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 03, 2016
chocolateme:
why?
conflict of interest, compromise
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by ronald4lif(m): 8:57pm On Feb 03, 2016
Hell no. I can't coz I'm going to feel very tensed and uncomfortable interacting with my female colleagues. How do I peck a female colleague in her presence or how do I cope if a male co-worker gives her a peck.

If it's my present work place where some go as far as pecking opposite sex on the lips how do I deal with that sh1t if someone gives her a lips peck? It's going to cause me a lot of anxiety and would sure affect my productivity. So I say no. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by flokii: 9:03pm On Feb 03, 2016
@OP yes & No

depends on company policy... some don't allow

buh if it's a family establishment... why not
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Originalsly: 9:07pm On Feb 03, 2016
Except the couple is part of the family that owns the business........ small businesses, companies and corporations do not allow husband/wife or even members of the same family to be employed especially at the same location. They can always conspire to rob the business....then cover for each other....afterall... blood is thicker than water. Also wahala at home can continue to play out in the workplace...then the company suffers. Can you imagine if allowed...what the possessive wife would do when the sexy mini dressed receptionist is called into her husband's office and the door is shut... then locked?
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by zurine(f): 9:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
not a bad idea, although, some company policies forbids it
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by lurlah2014(f): 9:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
It depends on how they started, I have friends that got married in the same company and they still work there upto date

1 Like

Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by employee: 9:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
I don't understand
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by histemple: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
chocolateme:
Be it the family company, government parastatal or any other firm, can a couple work in the same organization? The merits and demerits of it also can be considered too.
Ok a situation where the husband or the wife is the CEO while the partner is the vice or assistant, can it lead to the effective and efficient running of the organization also considering the domestic part too. Switching from married couple to professional angle too.
What about a situation where there are also pretty damsels with endowment blessings also working in the company or having such as her husband's PA while the wife works there. Can she be professionally tolerant and understanding even if its on a neutral ground.
Can you work with your spouse in the same work place?

I have read all the comments with keen interest and it appears most people are yet to understand the reasons why couples and blood related persons are discouraged from working in the same organisation.

As a HR expert, let me give you the general consensus based on global best practices and they are as follows;

1, The possibility of compromising standards is high.
2, Emotions could becloud their sense of professionalism.
3, Selective favoritism and nepotism could take the place of required discipline.
4, It could negate efficiency in such sensitive departments as fraud detection, auditing, quality control etc because they want to protect their inefficient relations from troubled waters.
5, It can increase fraud rate.
6, They may bring their differences to the workplace and may not work together in synergy because of the animosity.
7, The woman/man may be easily distracted/infuriated by the suspected admirers of his/her spouse or relation. This could lead to loss of manpower or even cause friction. Etc.

The list is endless.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Brighfuture(f): 9:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
Capital letter NO
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by nairamaniac: 9:44pm On Feb 03, 2016
flokii:
chocolateme you're looking great... very nice

what was d question again?
why are you derailing the thread?
because she sample ukwu? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by patani(m): 10:10pm On Feb 03, 2016
jbcul4ril:
Not allowed in the banking/finacial industry. One of you have to go period.

This information is not accurate..some banks accept couples..even encourage employee to get married in a way...example is Stanbic
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by flokii: 10:21pm On Feb 03, 2016
nairamaniac:

why are you derailing the thread?
because she sample ukwu? grin

yes na

her ikebe go fit blow groundnut... na wetin dey make me kolo grin
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by pedrilo: 10:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
Very rampart in education sector, highly forbidden in banking sector.
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Frank3n2(m): 10:57pm On Feb 03, 2016
It's not advisable cos she go dey calculate your money grin...
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by nairamaniac: 12:08am On Feb 04, 2016
flokii:

yes na

her ikebe go fit blow groundnut... na wetin dey make me kolo grin
nuffing do you. enjoy. she put am there for us to admire am.
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by onunwa21(m): 4:18am On Feb 04, 2016
Due to the high level of unemployment in the country, my dear NLders, couples re encouraged to work in same firm instead of doing nothing..........
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Exponental(m): 6:09am On Feb 04, 2016
If couples are heading the affairs of a big coy, they diversify. CHECK! with time if not immediately, they surely have other business(es) individually.
Couples who ain't so rich might do it for survival purpose.
As for me, I don't like couples working in same place cos it's like putting ur eggs in one basket. However, if it is a well paying establishment whereby we can save a lot over a short period, IT IS WORTH IT!

1 Like

Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by JINJ(f): 7:50am On Feb 04, 2016
no except in Government institution
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Abee79(m): 10:09am On Feb 04, 2016
Ovialekhe:
its not advisable.
Why?
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Jhappy(f): 10:43am On Feb 04, 2016
It is not advisable
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by kingvincent: 4:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
Hello, Chocolateme.
I just saw your comment on a post.....
Re: Nigeria Immigration Service 2015/2016 Replacement Form by chocolateme(f): 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2015
Have tried before but it wasn't genuine. My Aunty with immigration said there is nothing like that, if not, she will tell me. So how come?

Please could you confirm from your Aunty at Immigration, if immigration is replacing now, i just got an offer for a position but i don't know how genuine it is. Please help me.
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by chocolateme(f): 4:39pm On Feb 04, 2016
kingvincent:
Hello, Chocolateme.
I just saw your comment on a post.....
Re: Nigeria Immigration Service 2015/2016 Replacement Form by chocolateme(f): 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2015
Have tried before but it wasn't genuine. My Aunty with immigration said there is nothing like that, if not, she will tell me. So how come?

Please could you confirm from your Aunty at Immigration, if immigration is replacing now, i just got an offer for a position but i don't know how genuine it is. Please help me.
It depends ont he level of who is offeringyou the position because rank varies and everybody must not know that one person is being offered a job. So she may not know anything especially without any details at all. Thanks
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by Zehner(f): 6:05pm On Feb 04, 2016
ronald4lif:
Hell no. I can't coz I'm going to feel very tensed and uncomfortable interacting with my female colleagues. How do I peck a female colleague in her presence or how do I cope if a male co-worker gives her a peck.

If it's my present work place where some go as far as pecking opposite sex on the lips how do I deal with that sh1t if someone gives her a lips peck? It's going to cause me a lot of anxiety and would sure affect my productivity. So I say no. undecided
Abeg no vex...no club u dey work?

1 Like

Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by ronald4lif(m): 7:43pm On Feb 04, 2016
Zehner:
Abeg no vex...no club u dey work?

No. undecided
Re: Is It Encouraging For A Couple To Work In The Same Establishment? by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:36pm On Feb 04, 2016
Jhappy:
It is not advisable
Why pls?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer -dr. Peter Ozo-eson / A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. / 5 Great Passive Income Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.