Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? (145372 Views)

15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / Toshiba's New Usb Flash Has A Keyboard For Your Password / How Much For A Keyboard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Hunter(m): 7:30am On May 25, 2005
Is the Naira symbol ₦ on a Keyboard?

I'm curious about this, but do keyboards purchased in Nigeria have the proper symbol for Naira like a $ symbol?
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by demmy(m): 8:04am On May 25, 2005
One Lagos tech company Lancor Technologies recently unvailed a nigerian multilingual keyboard with the naira sign (₦) but I'm not sure whether it gone commercial.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200504280216.html
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Seun(m): 9:35am On May 25, 2005
You do not need a special keyboard to use the Naira () symbol, but you need special fonts to display it on your PC. The Arial Unicode MS, Tahoma and Lucida Sans Unicode fonts, which come with Windows XP, display the naira sign properly.

You may simply cut and paste the naira symbol below into applications like MS Office or Firefox which have good unicode support:
[size=72pt][/size]

Pretty, isn't it? (This post will be updated later in the day)

New discoveries:
[list][li]The Tahoma font also displays the naira sign properly (₦) in Internet Explorer[/li]
[li]The Lucida Sans Unicode font also displays the naira sign (₦) properly in Internet Explorer.[/li][li]The Arial font does [I]not[/I] display the naira sign properly in Internet Explorer(₦)[/li][li]The TImes New Roman font also does [I]not[/I] display the naira sign properly in Internet Explorer(₦)[/li][/list]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Hunter(m): 11:40am On May 25, 2005
Lucky i use mozilla firefox then smiley
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by obong(m): 4:30am On Jun 13, 2005
Anyone here plan to use the konyin keyboard? www.konyin.com
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Seun(m): 11:22am On Jun 13, 2005
Very few people are going to buy a new keyboard just because of the symbols. This is a niche product and I hope the marketers realise this.
[list][li]First of all, no Nigerian is going to buy a new, more expensive keyboard just because of the naira sign. People already are able to type the naira sign using MS Word.[/li][li]Only a very small subset of PC users ever have reason to type documents in the local languages - lecturers of Yoruba/Ibo/hausa and their students, scriptwriters and producers of Yoruba/Ibo/Hausa films, et cetera.[/li][li]Therefore the company should target these people specifically and they might be able to make a little money[/li][li]If they are lucky and the price is right, they might be able to convince some local PC manufacturers to use their keyboard.[/li][/list]

So that's my view on the issue of the Konyin keyboard.
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by hotangel2(f): 7:32pm On Jul 06, 2005
awww,, the naira sign is so pretty.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Ka: 11:18pm On Jul 06, 2005
If you desperately need to 'fake' it in Word, you can just apply the double strikethrough style to a capital 'N' by going 'Format' > 'Font' > 'Effects' > 'Double Strikethrough'

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by IAH(f): 3:48pm On Jul 07, 2005
Ka, that's good info! cool
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Chxta(m): 3:53pm On Jul 09, 2005
Zinox comes with the naira sign on their keyboards.

For everything else, there is Mastercard cheesy
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by rufaai(m): 11:36am On Aug 10, 2005
Hey, For me i use a defferent idea...

It came to me when I wanted to write the naira symbol while typing... This is what i suggest =N= though it looks to silly...

But I think I have developed something, didnt i
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by hotangel2(f): 6:41am On Aug 11, 2005
That's what i use too, =N= because I don't seem to get the original one.
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by WesleyanA(f): 9:11am On Aug 12, 2005
never had a reason to use it.
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by layi(m): 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2005
demmy:

One Lagos tech company Lancor Technologies recently unvailed a nigerian multilingual keyboard with the naira sign but I'm not sure whether it gone commercial.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200504280216.html

Its gone commercial. Heard its 5K N srry N srry N= omg!..we need this naira symbol fo real. Anyway its Five thousand naira
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Seun(m): 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2005
It's funny how much money people will spend to get the naira sign, which you can just cut and paste from this page!
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by goldenoc(f): 9:06am On Aug 31, 2005
seun we are not talking of copying and pasting, weare talking of having it in the keyboard as a symbol
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by WesleyanA(f): 12:53am On Sep 01, 2005
well, nigerians will have to create their own computer keyboards to do that.
there's only one monetary symbol on my keyboard and it's that of the US ....they put their symbol on their computers (it's mine now) and there's nothing you can do about it.
nigerians should really do something angry grin. hehe
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Gbenro: 3:48pm On Sep 16, 2005
I don't think WesleyanA has been following the reply threads.

THERE IS A NIGERIAN KEYBOARD WITH NAIRA SYMBOL ON A KEY.

The keyboard is called KỌNYIN Nigeria Multilingual Keyboard. I have been to the website and noticed that the keyboard surprisingly has all the major currency symbols on it too. (Dollar, Euro, Pound and Naira)

I think, the company may be up to something and hope our prople in Nigeria will support them, somehow I doubt that, we Nigerians will only buy what is made by white people.

GOD save us from ourselves.

Gbenro
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by WesleyanA(f): 11:03pm On Sep 16, 2005
cool. . . what does the keyboard look like? cheesy

and yes i haven't been following the reply posts. lipsrsealed
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Gbenro: 4:29pm On Sep 17, 2005
Here we go, I got this from the website, they also have a catalog at:

http://www.konyin.com/products/NIG/KONYIN%20Catalog%20Nigeria%201.pdf

The PDF file is big

I have already put in an order for one. I will let you all know how it actually works later.

Gbenro
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by WesleyanA(f): 4:49pm On Sep 17, 2005
nice smiley.
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Scorpio(f): 8:31pm On Oct 18, 2005
Dat's cute, unfortunately they don't have it here angry grin
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by hotangel2(f): 4:48am On Oct 20, 2005
That's cute.
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Gbenro: 6:30pm On Oct 25, 2005
Guys, it works, it really, really works.

I was pleasantly surprised that it works just like my standard keyboard.

First - The installation of the driver was simple enough. You’re asked to select Nigeria or other countries.
If you select Nigeria, then the default currency symbol in the language locale of your PC becomes the Naira sign, and if you use spreadsheets like Excel, the currency symbol will be the Naira.

Second - Typing the Nigerian specific alphabets was also very intuitive and straight forward. The beauty for me is that if you forget to press the "Ng" key for the Nigerian alphabet, you will still get the alphabet you are used to using.

The only problem I noticed is that you need to select a Unicode Font that includes all the extended Latin characters, like - Arial Unicode MS or Microsoft Sans Serif, or you will just get boxes (" ₦ "wink

Otherwise, I now agree that the product KỌNYIN Nigeria Multilingual Keyboard is quite brilliant and I think every Nigerian, no matter where they are in the world, should be using this keyboard.  grin

KUDOS rolleyes to http://www.konyin.com

Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by blendz4real(m): 9:42am On Oct 29, 2005
I don't think there is any need having a special key for the Naira Symbol, Just type (N) and double strike through from the format menu. It's simple I guess
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Gbenro: 2:22pm On Oct 29, 2005
Hi blendz4real,

How do you use your "(N) with double strike through" in a spreadsheet and make sure it sums up your numbers.
Can you give me the trick to that? I use MS Excel for my financial.   

Update:

OH by-the-way the attached excel spreadsheet below was created using the KỌNYIN Nigeria Multilingual Keyboard.
This keyboard is the best thing that can happen to Nigeria Naira Symbol.

After almost 5 months of using this Keyboard for my work on financial applications: I strongly recommend this keyboard.
Go to: http://www.konyin.com and buy one today!

Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by vichel(m): 6:47pm On Jan 02, 2006
I don't know about u guys, but i use the shift key and the number 3 at the top of the keyboard to display this sign #1,000. Wat ur think
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by charlisco(m): 5:58pm On Jan 21, 2006
How can i achieve the Naria sign perfectly in Ms Excel?
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Seun(m): 7:51pm On Jan 21, 2006
Just cut and paste the big Naira sign from this page into MS Excel, and it will work. That's all you need to do! Alternatively, you can get the konyin keyboard though it's not really necessary.
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Gbenro: 11:57pm On Jan 23, 2006
Here is how you insert the Naira sign into MS Excel.
Follow the two steps in the image below. (Click Insert > then click Symbol > then select the font > then pull down subset and select Currency symbols > then double click the Naira sign)
Note that you have to select a Font that includes the Naira sign (Microsoft Sans Serif or Arial Unicode MS will do)
Now this will only insert the Naira sign as a text.

But, if you want to do summations or calculations with Naira signs, you can either change your regional settings to add the naira sign as your default currency sign or if you really need to use the Naira sign and do calculations on a consistent basis, then get the Kọnyin keyboard.

If you ask me, I will say get the Kọnyin keyboard, I have one and it is unbelievable. It is not just the Naira sign, but it also allows you to type Latin extended letters and add tonal marks for Nigerian languages.

Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by Seun(m): 5:37am On Jan 31, 2006
All this because people can't cut and paste! sad
Re: Naira Sign (₦) On A Keyboard? by mikebuddy(m): 3:28pm On Jan 31, 2006
When i finish work on my MIKEBUDDY keyboard i wont see this trend again i guess.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Remove Write Protection From Computer/flash Drive / How Do I Remove A Windows Multiple Boot Option? / Visual Basic 6.0 Product Id

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.