Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,211 members, 7,836,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine (32377 Views)

Nigerian Tech Youtuber, Eric Okafor Attains Bronze Status, A First From Nigeria / Which Bank Mobile USSD Have You Used B4 That Works Fine / MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7Billion Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Btruth: 3:58pm On Feb 03, 2016
Is he coming to beat the judge nii? . Let him come, he will meet us here. Instead of him to advise them to go and pay their fines.

Oya, let him come. He should bring Obama follow body come self.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 03, 2016
HungerBAD:
Eric Holder?

Even in the United States, a Lawyer not Licensed in another State cannot defend or do anything as a Lawyer in that State, let alone one from the United States coming to Africa to defend a Company known for ripping her Customers off.

Eric Holder lives and practices Law in the United States, MTN operates and ripped people off in Nigeria, so is answerable to the Laws of Sango and our Land.
. What do u mean by rip off... All these under the mango poor men accusations ... Nonsense

1 Like

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 03, 2016
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
What if Eric read International Business Law?
HungerBAD:
Eric Holder?

Even in the United States, a Lawyer not Licensed in another State cannot defend or do anything as a Lawyer in that State, let alone one from the United States coming to Africa to defend a Company known for ripping her Customers off.

Eric Holder lives and practices Law in the United States, MTN operates and ripped people off in Nigeria, so is answerable to the Laws of Sango and our Land.

1 Like

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Synzu(m): 4:03pm On Feb 03, 2016
That life is a bitch, what's his fb name?

@ stfuareyougod
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by danidee10(m): 4:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
If you like hire obatala you guys must pay
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by danidee10(m): 4:16pm On Feb 03, 2016
sexyexcalibur:
. What do u mean by rip off... All these under the mango poor men accusations ... Nonsense

What would u call forced subscriptions on users.....Rip on undecided
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by KingsJohnson(m): 4:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
Smh, So MTN dumb to dis extent??

1 Like

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by lilygabriel08: 4:28pm On Feb 03, 2016
make dem check eric visa well b4 e enter the country and mayb deport/refuse entry once or twice as america dey do our people/lawyer
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Ask4bigneyo(m): 4:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
optional1:
i no join awoof oooo i didnt join those dat register sim oooo. Dy only gv me #5H wen i recharge last week.
Na still awoof berekete..
Why uno return d money
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 03, 2016
winkmart:
[size=20pt]IF THEM LIKE, MAKE THEM HIRE MOSES OR THE JUDGES OF THE ISRAELITES!!! THEY MUST PAY[/size]
the ex us attorney will just talk and go,mtn will be here with buhari at the aftermath
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2016
ritababe:
Chai i swear that fine they pepper Emptyhen for body die, very soon them go go hire russian mafians to come defend them grin.
All in all they are just wasting their money cus they must pay, Na Buhari Dey Thrown.

Even if them like they should go hire JAKE and the FAT MAN, they will still pay angry
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 03, 2016
Love Machine:
The fees mtn will pay the u.s attorney will be mindboggling.But,is it right for a foreign lawyer to come and defend a court case in nigeria?
I believe he will only be act as a consultant to MTN's legal team; or he could obtain a Nigerian law license from the Chief Justice of Nigeria.
Holder will most likely give advise on the relevant international treaty concerning corporations that Nigeria is a signatory to.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Stanbeto: 4:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
MTN must pay that money o. If they like let them Hire who ever
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Irore: 4:52pm On Feb 03, 2016
Jtmanager:
Mtn don Bleep up

Again

Only me don disconnect my MTN line. I use a ntwk that is available even in the remotest rural areas/creeks of Nigeria and ofcourse surplus in the urban areas. Bye bye to Mtn.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 03, 2016
CFCman:

I believe he will only be act as a consultant to MTN's legal team; or he could obtain a Nigerian law license from the Chief Justice of Nigeria.
Holder will most likely give advise on the relevant international treaty concerning corporations that Nigeria is a signatory to.
Ok,thanks.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by sorepco(m): 5:07pm On Feb 03, 2016
He can act in an advisory role....he will be in court as a consultant

HungerBAD:
Eric Holder?

1 Like

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Nobody: 5:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by NICENEDU29: 5:30pm On Feb 03, 2016
Going by the provision of the Constitution, MTN or any other person (whether natural or juristic) is entitled to get any Lawyer of its choice. The phrase "any Lawyer of its choice" means that the Lawyer can even be hired from abroad and it does not matter whether the Lawyer is a Nigerian citizen or not. However, that Lawyer MUST not have any legal impediment with regard to his right of entry into the country, if not he will be denied the right of entry into the country and even the opportunity of representing his client in Nigeria. That was what happened in the case of OBAFEMI AWOLOWO v. MINISTER OF INTERIOR.

1 Like

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by okambaba: 5:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
Ghen ghen...real life Harvey Spectre.

But I think he is only here as a consultant or maybe negotiator. He probably won't play a major role in the court case. The judge is even expecting an out of court settlement sef before the next hearing so at best he is coming to consult.

They should just agree amicably already and let everybody move on, the drama too much.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by KayceeClassic(m): 5:38pm On Feb 03, 2016
holamiday:
Ghen ghen!!! The showdown begins.

But let's be sincere, that fine is way too outrageous. That's about 4 times the total worth of Otedola. This is purely a national conspiracy against MTN. Methinks, NCC should just come out plain and boldly ask MTN to leave the country. That seems like the general demand, even amongst the citizenry.

$3.9bn fine on one company is insanely cruel & unrealistic. Even Microsoft Corporation cannot joke with such funds. If MTN NG pays that amount, they will surely feel it.
I don't think you'll say such if you do the maths behind this fraud.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by alao85(m): 5:42pm On Feb 03, 2016
MTN just landed a BIG gboaaa on d face of our so called lawyers wth dia big big gramma by hiring American.

1 Like

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by toprealman: 5:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
According to BOSIET, offshore safety training.....there is something called emergency water landing bro.
When you fly, I am sure the beauty of those air hostesses makes your ear drum, bucket and jerry can to malfunction....rendering their safety induction useless.
Next time listen attentively.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Henovy: 5:55pm On Feb 03, 2016
ritababe:
Chai i swear that fine they pepper Emptyhen for body die, very soon them go go hire russian mafians to come defend them grin.
All in all they are just wasting their money cus they must pay, Na Buhari Dey Thrown.
Old boy, that last word is throne, or better still power.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Henovy: 6:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
[quote author=Lilimax post=42584011][/quote]
Thanks for this info but it won't change anything. I mean it cannot intimidate us. Chikena.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by giftedben: 6:01pm On Feb 03, 2016
in all Mtn may win the case. NCC as a body have no legal ground to fine them because they failed to pass a bill in national Assembly in order for customers to always challenge them in court. This is a case were corruption bite you back.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by gowaga68: 6:02pm On Feb 03, 2016
Lilimax:
Eric Holder, you go see something for trying to defend MTN in Naija.
By the time you finish this case, you go no say Naija is not the way you guys portray us over there.

MTN must pay the fine!
+ say na Buhari wey wan get money to bail his budget by all means. O boi! MTN must pay.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by Henovy: 6:03pm On Feb 03, 2016
holamiday:
Ghen ghen!!! The showdown begins.

But let's be sincere, that fine is way too outrageous. That's about 4 times the total worth of Otedola. This is purely a national conspiracy against MTN. Methinks, NCC should just come out plain and boldly ask MTN to leave the country. That seems like the general demand, even amongst the citizenry.

$3.9bn fine on one company is insanely cruel & unrealistic. Even Microsoft Corporation cannot joke with such funds. If MTN NG pays that amount, they will surely feel it.
They will surely feel it. Yes! It was meant to make them feel it and learn to obey our laws!
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by eikenberry(m): 6:25pm On Feb 03, 2016
maya,broke n Eric(jr)...teh your pman sey his embarking on a journey of no return,e go beta make una give am volume 5 a day before he embarks...accept your ready to. be called papaless.

1 Like

Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by omogidi234(m): 6:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
cutetopsey:
Hmmmm

MTN disgracing Africans lawyers

BTW, check my signature on how to get rid excess belly ugly fats

Please check the procedure for practicing law worldwide before you utter such comments. The man can't even practice in all the States of US not to talk of NIGERIA. You cannot practice in a Jurisdiction other than where you are licenced. If he wants to act as an Attorney to MTN, he will go to Nigerian Law School for One year and he would be called to the Bar in Nigeria. Otherwise, he could collaborate with the Big law firms in Nigeria and give them ideas based on his experience.
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by tinktanker: 7:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
cutetopsey:
Hmmmm

MTN disgracing Africans lawyers

BTW, check my signature on how to get rid excess belly ugly fats
na wah u if dem bring south African man una go say dem neglect Nigeria. Na u go tell dem who dem get believe in? Abeg make una jump hug transformer joor
Re: MTN Hires Eric Holder To Challenge $3.9b Fine by tinktanker: 7:08pm On Feb 03, 2016
danidee10:

What would u call forced subscriptions on users.....Rip on undecided
it applies to all networks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Ways To Reduce Data Consumption On Android. / 5 Things You Should Never Do On Someone Else's Phone / Top 5 Best Selfie Smartphones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.