Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,705 members, 7,837,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State (1648 Views)

Governor Fayose Spotted Riding Okada In Ekiti (photos) / Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider / Oshiomhole Bans Okada In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by slap1(m): 5:50pm On Jul 01, 2009
this question has been nagging my mind for some time now: is there ever a good reason for banning okada riders from operation in any state in Nigeria, considering the fact that many of then have mouths to feed and have no other source of livelihood. please i need your reply.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by ElRazur: 6:28pm On Jul 01, 2009
It is risky. It is dangerous and hazardous. These folks - like most road users on Nigeria roads - have little or no concept about road use. It is a good thing they are removed. However, it would be nice to see some sort of alternatives provided for them instead. Having said that, this is Nigeria. smiley

The need to keep our road safe in my opinion, is greater than what some few thousands Okada operators would feed their families.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by slap1(m): 10:00am On Jul 02, 2009
ElRazur:

It is risky. It is dangerous and hazardous. These folks - like most road users on Nigeria roads - have little or no concept about road use. It is a good thing they are removed. However, it would be nice to see some sort of alternatives provided for them instead. Having said that, this is Nigeria. smiley

The need to keep our road safe in my opinion, is greater than what some few thousands Okada operators would feed their families.

a bit selfish, methinks. cool
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by desgiezd(m): 10:23am On Jul 02, 2009
A brief visit to the Okada Ward in Igbobi Orthopaedic Hospital will convince you beyond doubt of an urgent need to do away with them.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 02, 2009
It’s no secret that most of the armed robbery incidences are perpetuated by these so-called Okada men. It’s like a legal Union for Criminals. Infact, that’s the main reason for banning them. Even in states where they’ve not been banned, there are usually areas where okadas are restricted after a certain period.

It’s true that’ it’s a source of livelihood for a lot of people, but it has become a menace to the society. So I support the ban.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Kx: 11:46am On Jul 02, 2009
Ujujoan:

It’s no secret that most of the armed robbery incidences are perpetuated by these so-called Okada men. So I support the ban.

@Uju.
If ur points above are true,it follows that
1.We shud ban politicians frm public office because they are corrupt.
2.We shud remove govnors from office because dey ve not performed.

If we ban okadas because of ur reasons above,are we saying the robbers dat
attack ppl in dia homes okada men?

Ban ban has never solved any problem,ask OBJ
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by ElRazur: 11:48am On Jul 02, 2009
desgiezd:

A brief visit to the Okada Ward in Igbobi Orthopaedic Hospital will convince you beyond doubt of an urgent need to do away with them.

A brief look at the asthethics of the limbs they offer is enough to make you die with laughter.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by walakolobo: 11:59am On Jul 02, 2009
@Poster

Have you ever been involved in an accident on one of those okadas? If not, then, get on one, ask him to make sure he has an accident, then come back here to ask this your question all over again.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by desgiezd(m): 12:11pm On Jul 02, 2009
walakolobo:

@Poster
get on one, ask him to make sure he has an accident, then come back here to ask this your question all over again.

ROTFLMFFAO!!
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by IFELEKE(m): 12:28pm On Jul 02, 2009
@Topic
Yes It's seriously Justifiable if we compare the rate at which armed robbers and kidnappers use okada to carry out their dastardly acts.
I was robbed of recent and the armed robbers operated with okadas.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 07, 2009
@Uju.
If ur points above are true,it follows that
1.We shud ban politicians frm public office because they are corrupt.
2.We shud remove govnors from office because dey ve not performed.

If we ban okadas because of ur reasons above,are we saying the robbers dat
attack ppl in dia homes okada men?

Ban ban has never solved any problem,ask OBJ

How can you compare a primitive means of transportation to an established Government and Authority. Okadas in the first place is not a proper means of transportation and the fact that we are still using them here in Nigeria is calls for serious review. Even these keke Napeps are better and safer than Okadas. And then why do we have to tolerate their excesses, just because they have families?

Ban has brought order and civilization to a place. Ask Gov. Chime.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Kobojunkie: 3:18pm On Jul 07, 2009
I don’t think we ought to blame Okadas for the problems we have on Nigerian roads ooo!!! Kai!! Primitive form of transportation? I guess the millions of Americans who ride their bikes daily to and fro their destinations are not informed of this.

Like Someone already said BAN ! BAN!! BAN!!! Has yet to solve any single problem in that country. We need better roads and better enforcement of road rules. With those, you can easily curb the problem in no time at all. Banning does not, I repeat, does not solve anything. I mean you only need to look into the state records to figure this out. Okada is a necessity, just needs to be controlled and forced to comply with rules like everyone else. What do we do next, BAN cars because of the high accident rates?
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by DisGuy: 3:23pm On Jul 07, 2009
whats he difference between an okada rider and a worker going to work on a motorbike according to nigerian laws?

ElRazur:

1. people that dont have regards for other road users should be ban too, most molue and tank driver are not qualified, they shouldnt single out okada riders
2. keeping the road safe without getting rid of okada is possible, the govt is just lazy to enforce laws available
why are they not insisting motorist/riders go for proper test, that will reduce the number of manaics on the road

what if workers decide to dump their cars an opt for cycling or motorcylces, will they be treated like okada riders too?
in other parts of the world 'okadas' have their own lane! let them use the BRT lanes if the pass their riding test and wear correct protective gear

funny thing is, as some governors are banning okadas, some local govt chairmen are dashing it out to teachers, farmers etc who inturn wil hire it out or start business as okada riders
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 07, 2009
whats he difference between an okada rider and a worker going to work on a motorbike according to nigerian laws?

Okada riders are more in population and hereby take up most of the road. Nigerian roads are not built for such extra means of transportation. Even pedestrians have to struggle the road with motorists and then we’ll start bothering ourselves with Okadas. I live in a city where Okada causes nothing but trouble. They are not only reckless but out rightly unruly. Its something that comes with their profession and that shouldn’t be encouraged. Bus and tanker drivers might be unruly and unqualified too, but they are necessary. As far as I’m concerned, Okadas are not!!

Nobody’s blaming them for the problems we have in Nigeria, but I don’t think they are entirely without blame.

An individual might own his own Bike and might want to use it as a means of transporting himself, but I think the idea of a city depending on Okada as a means of transportation is downright primitive. And just because Americans use few Americans own bikes doesn’t mean it should be an acceptable means on transportation in a City.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by DisGuy: 3:59pm On Jul 07, 2009
Ujujoan:

Okada riders are more in population and hereby take up most of the road. Nigerian roads are not built for such extra means of transportation. Even pedestrians have to struggle the road with motorists and then we’ll start bothering ourselves with Okadas. I live in a city where Okada causes nothing but trouble. They are not only reckless but out rightly unruly. Its something that comes with their profession and that shouldn’t be encouraged. Bus and tanker drivers might be unruly and unqualified too, but they are necessary. As far as I’m concerned, Okadas are not!!

Nobody’s blaming them for the problems we have in Nigeria, but I don’t think they are entirely without blame.

An individual might own his own Bike and might want to use it as a means of transporting himself, but I think the idea of a city depending on Okada as a means of transportation is downright primitive. And just because Americans use few Americans own bikes doesn’t mean it should be an acceptable means on transportation in a City.

I dont think the city is depending on okada per se, they are providing a service that has not been met by the private sector and the govt, roads are built for different modes of transportation and motorbikes have as much right as automobile and tankers. in cities like Lagos Okadas are absolutely necessary ask many bankers, teachers and business men so many people jump off buses in traffic to board okadas

if thousands of car owners working up and down lagos decide to invest in a bank as a mode of private transport
due to hectic traffic to/from work will they be chased off the road aswell?

what happened to the curfews set for okadas in the past?
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 07, 2009
@ Dis Guy

I think you are contradicting yourself. You just said it's necessary for some Bankers and some other people to get to work on time and then you trun around and say we are not depending on them.

In as much as they make transport a lot easier, they can be totally avoided. The issue of traffic congestion and bad road has made them a little bit more dependable but that dosent mean its a proper means of transportation.

Abuja adjusted to the no bike thing a long time ago and I think it brought a lot of order to the place. I just cannot be convinced that Okadas are things we cant do without in this Country.

Even with the curfew is not good enough. The ban is the best way out. They should be given taxis or keke Napeps to drive.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Kobojunkie: 4:35pm On Jul 07, 2009
Ujujoan:

The city does NOT depend on Okada, it is only another form of transportation as you have cars, trucks etc.  Cars, trucks etc are just as to blame as Okadas are in the same city.

Actually, in my city alone, over a million people own bikes (bicycles). Do you know what the government has in place? Bike Lanes, Bike road rules, signs and penalties for disobeying the law. There was no call to BAN the bikes even though they pose just as much a treat as okadas do in Lagos. Only with restrictions in place, Government has been able to successfully mitigate the problems.

We have our history in the state, and the country as a whole to show that BANS are NEVER the way out of solving problems the right and effective way.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by DisGuy: 4:55pm On Jul 07, 2009
Ujujoan:

@ Dis Guy

I think you are contradicting yourself. You just said it's necessary for some Bankers and some other people to get to work on time and then you trun around and say we are not depending on them.

In as much as they make transport a lot easier, they can be totally avoided. The issue of traffic congestion and bad road has made them a little bit more dependable but that dosent mean its a proper means of transportation.

Abuja adjusted to the no bike thing a long time ago and I think it brought a lot of order to the place. I just cannot be convinced that Okadas are things we cant do without in this Country.

Even with the curfew is not good enough. The ban is the best way out. They should be given taxis or keke Napeps to drive.

we are not depending on them entirely-at least people don't travel between states on okada-yet; they act like supplement to the archaic/inadequate transportation system we have in the cities presently and as long as nothing
is done to improve that they will be very useful to thousand of people

motorbikes are proper means of transportation when they are controlled by qualified riders who follow rules

we can do without okadas but they provide a service that's in HUGE demand unfortunately
until something is done about the roads and public transport, they'll be around for a looong time

i hate okadas by the way, esp those with tanker horns!
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by chidichris(m): 11:50am On Jul 08, 2009
I don’t think we ought to blame Okadas for the problems we have on Nigerian roads ooo!!! Kai!! Primitive form of transportation? I guess the millions of Americans who ride their bikes daily to and fro their destinations are not informed of this.

Like Someone already said BAN ! BAN!! BAN!!! Has yet to solve any single problem in that country. We need better roads and better enforcement of road rules. With those, you can easily curb the problem in no time at all. Banning does not, I repeat, does not solve anything. I mean you only need to look into the state records to figure this out. Okada is a necessity, just needs to be controlled and forced to comply with rules like everyone else. What do we do next, BAN cars because of the high accident rates?

@Kobojunkie,
in most of ur posts here on nairaland, u have been against those u blame govt on the situations in nigeria so am worried on ur position on this issue.
who are u blaming here for this banning? who are u blaming for the bad roads highlighted above? who do u expect gto enforce these laws on okada men and who have not been enforcing these laws? u have refused to be urself in ur desire to be a person with different views. please reconcile ur position here with ur other positions on several other topics posted here on nairaland. u have been fighting those of us who blame our leaders so if u are still confused, do let me know so that i will reffer u to the issues with ease.
be informed that for u to demand for the same hair cut with mr. john, u must consider the shape of ur skull first. americans and nigerians are not the same and their environments and ours have a lot of differences.

@topic,
kidnapping could be seen to have some advantages but what ppl talk abt on any issue is the relationships between the advangtages and the disadvantages.
like someone rightly pointed out above, a visit to igbobi will serve us right in our judgements.
on the other hand okada have been very good in taking us to our destinations on time but we must accept the fact that it is better to be late than late.
no day will pass in lagos without death through okada accident.
police reports has it that many crimes in the recent years are okada related.
it is obvious that okada has done morte harm than good hence the need even an urgent need to ban them all.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by walakolobo: 12:29pm On Jul 11, 2009
Double talk is so good, these are the same people who argued against the imposition of compulsory use of crash helmets by bike riders and bike passengers. See their mouths, double talk kills.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Tudor6(f): 1:24pm On Jul 11, 2009
Most comments here are way off the mark. Some of you just sit in your air-conditioned offices, homes or cars and call for indiscriminate measures against the poor. Jobless youths in nigeria today go into the okada business coz it's relatively easy to start and there's a ready demand. Banning them will only lead to their loss of livelihood. Someone said find better alternatives, lets be realistic here, how many better alternatives exist that'll accomodate the millions of okada riders? If there were better options they wouldn't be riding okada in the first place.

As for those of you making noise about armed robbery,is it only okadas they use to rob?? When taxis and buses where used for the famous 'one chance' why weren't they banned? Militants use boats to bunker oil and attack JTF i guess they should ban boats too. . .
If a person wants to rob, he'll rob! There are cars, bicycles,even trekkers who rob! What even stops a robber who's not neccesarily a commercial okada rider to rob with his motocycle after the ban?

The reasonable way out here is to organise the transportation infrasturcture including roads to accomodate the motorcyclists. Traffic regulations should be enforced by the releavant bodies. Afterall beijing, china has millions of bicycles plying the streets and it isn't a disaster.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by chidichris(m): 3:12pm On Jul 11, 2009
Most comments here are way off the mark. Some of you just sit in your air-conditioned offices, homes or cars and call for indiscriminate measures against the poor. Jobless youths in nigeria today go into the okada business coz it's relatively easy to start and there's a ready demand. Banning them will only lead to their loss of livelihood. Someone said find better alternatives, lets be realistic here, how many better alternatives exist that'll accomodate the millions of okada riders? If there were better options they wouldn't be riding okada in the first place.

As for those of you making noise about armed robbery,is it only okadas they use to rob?? When taxis and buses where used for the famous 'one chance' why weren't they banned? Militants use boats to bunker oil and attack JTF i guess they should ban boats too. . . Huh
If a person wants to rob, he'll rob! There are cars, bicycles,even trekkers who rob! What even stops a robber who's not neccesarily a commercial okada rider to rob with his motocycle after the ban?

The reasonable way out here is to organise the transportation infrasturcture including roads to accomodate the motorcyclists. Traffic regulations should be enforced by the releavant bodies. Afterall beijing, china has millions of bicycles plying the streets and it isn't a disaster.

@Tudór,
you are right but in situations like this, we must have a critical look at the issue. okada like i said earlier on has its advantages like speedy movements especially in places with heavy trafic. giving job to the jobless masses and bringing foods to many families but on the other side of it, we must look at the disadvantages which may include sending ppl to heaven with ease and on daily bases, aiding crimes of different versions and providing escape routes to criminals.

in as much as all of us here are finding solutions to our problems, we must look up to things with lesser disadvantages than its advantages.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Tudor6(f): 6:04pm On Jul 11, 2009
chidichris:

@Tudór,
you are right but in situations like this, we must have a critical look at the issue. okada like i said earlier on has its advantages like speedy movements especially in places with heavy trafic. giving job to the jobless masses and bringing foods to many families but on the other side of it, we must look at the disadvantages which may include sending ppl to heaven with ease and on daily bases, aiding crimes of different versions and providing escape routes to criminals.

in as much as all of us here are finding solutions to our problems, we must look up to things with lesser disadvantages than its advantages.

True, but an outright ban doesn't cut it. It's indiscrimate and doesn't take into account the innocent majority.

Those disadvantages could be easily overcome having good roads and orientating the cyclists about traffic laws and enforcing them. Thats why we have the FRSC in the first place. As for the robberies, is it not the job of the police to patrol and make sure stuffs like that don't happen. People shouldn't lose their livelihood due to the incompetency of the police.
The solutions lie with the government and outright ban is a lazy way to deal with the problem.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 11, 2009
if them ban okada na wahala.

If them no ban okada na wahala.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by chidichris(m): 9:04am On Jul 13, 2009
True, but an outright ban doesn't cut it. It's indiscrimate and doesn't take into account the innocent majority.

Those disadvantages could be easily overcome having good roads and orientating the cyclists about traffic laws and enforcing them. Thats why we have the FRSC in the first place. As for the robberies, is it not the job of the police to patrol and make sure stuffs like that don't happen. People shouldn't lose their livelihood due to the incompetency of the police.
The solutions lie with the government and outright ban is a lazy way to deal with the problem.

@Tudór,
okada is a deadly thing but what u are about starting is more deadly than aids. please in the name of God, do not start. u and i know that we have no govt, no frsc and no police so please let the sleep dog lay.
the only issues that get the support of our police are those ones that will at the end of the day benefit them. if okada man no get helment, police will catch him and collect #200 or more for his family's feeding so if they ban okada, the police will catch anyone who fails and collect some good money. how many ppl were taken to court by the police for disobeying our laws. the frsc in question now is as corrupt as nigeria. all in all, we are looking unto God for the best solution as we have seen that our so called leaders have failed us in all ramifications.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by ifyalways(f): 9:25am On Jul 13, 2009
@Topic,banning Okada indefinitely on 9ja roads wud work If and when :
we have functioning roads.---It seems most of us have forgotten thet most roads in 9ja can only be plyed with bikes.Aside the major higways,most roads(tarred and un-tarred)that lead into streets,estates and what have u can only be accessed via bike,so when Okadas are banned 24/7,what happens to peeps living in such areas?Bikes can be banned for some specific hrs of the day(say from 8pm till 6 am) but taking them out of the roads patapata for Now,lol am not seeing it working.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by ifele(m): 9:24pm On Jul 13, 2009
Becos robbers are using okada to effect robbery does not mean we should ban motorcycle ownership.

We can produce tuk-tuk or 3-wheellers or import them. Instead of using okada on which 2 or 3 people are going

groin to groin on one seat. When foreigners see us doing 2 or 3 on a motocycle what do you think they are

saying? We have to provide sensible solutions to problems.
Re: Is There A Justification For The Ban Of Okada In Any Nigerian State by Tudor6(f): 9:57pm On Jul 13, 2009
ifele:

Becos robbers are using okada to effect robbery does not mean we should ban motorcycle ownership.

We can produce tuk-tuk or 3-wheellers or import them. Instead of using okada on which 2 or 3 people are going

groin to groin on one seat. When foreigners see us doing 2 or 3 on a motocycle what do you think they are

saying?
We have to provide sensible solutions to problems.
Who cares what foreigners are saying?
Are they the ones feeding us??

(1) (Reply)

Nigrians,never Buy A Sony Electronics Produst,it Kills And Can Burn Down your Hous / Zamfara Strikes Gold, Others, Set For Exploitation / Ojukwu: Eze Ndigbo Gburugburu (including South-south Zone) - Voting Included

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.