Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,893 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments (2543 Views)

Edo Govt To Open Up Agrarian Communities For Investments / Reliable Places for Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency Investments / ` (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by betterABIAstate: 9:16am On Feb 04, 2016
Via HowWeMadeItInAfrica - This year Nigeria officially became the largest economy in Africa, adding to its allure as a foreign investment destination. One of the country’s biggest assets is its 170m-strong population, which continues to spark the interest of consumer facing companies.

For many, a good place to enter the market is Lagos, the country’s commercial hub. Obinnia Abajue, executive director of personal and business banking at Stanbic IBTC, said it makes sense for foreign companies to operate in Lagos with its sizeable population of close to 20m and more developed infrastructure for business. However, the market is more competitive than other cities in the country.

“It’s the most competitive part of the country for business because you have got many people making the same decisions to locate in Lagos,” he told How we made it in Africa.

He highlighted that there are a number of other cities which investors should place on their radar, especially in terms of targeting rising consumer demand.

1. Abuja

Abuja is the capital city of Nigeria. While it has a much smaller population than Lagos, Abajue noted that it is a good place to enter the Nigerian market because it holds the highest per capita income in the country.

“It’s a small town [in terms of] population but with very wealthy people.”

2. Kano

Kano, the capital of Kano State in northern Nigeria, is the second largest city in terms of population, after Lagos.

According to Abajue, there is potential for cash and carry wholesale businesses.

This year, South African retailer Shoprite opened its first outlet in Kano, and Massmart is expected to do the same in the coming weeks. Despite the potential security risk posed by Islamic militants in the region, Mark Turner, Massmart’s Africa director, said at the Reuters Africa Summit in April: “I always want to be bold enough to say, you can’t be in Nigeria without being in Kano.”

Furthermore, a new African Development Bank (AfDB) report, titled Tracking Africa’s Progress in Figures, reveals Kano to be one of Africa’s fastest growing cities.

3. Port Harcourt

Abajue said that Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, is the “centre of attention in the south of the country” due to the presence of oil companies and foreign investment in the area. He added that the city is also seeing a rise in per capita income.

Port Harcourt has access to two of the country’s busier ports and is home to the Port Harcourt Airport.

4. Aba

Aba is situated in the southeast and is also surrounded by oil wells. Abajue noted that the city acts as the trading centre of Nigeria.

“And again, there you will see strong purchasing power because a lot of trade is coming out of that place. [Aba] is the connecting spot for the hub of trade activities for the southeastern part of the country.”

5. Ibadan

“The last [city] that I would like to add is Ibadan in the southwest axis,” continued Abajue.

He noted that it is densely populated and has significant infrastructure. The capital of Oyo State has the third largest population in Nigeria, and, according to the AfDB report, is in the top 10 fastest growing cities in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by chriskosherbal(m): 9:19am On Feb 04, 2016
This is a welcome development.
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Frank3n2(m): 9:19am On Feb 04, 2016
Okay
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by playtheblues(f): 9:21am On Feb 04, 2016
What of Onitsha and Nnewi?

Op are you a learner?

betterABIAstate:
Via HowWeMadeItInAfrica - This year Nigeria officially became the largest economy in Africa, adding to its allure as a foreign investment destination. One of the country’s biggest assets is its 170m-strong population, which continues to spark the interest of consumer facing companies.

For many, a good place to enter the market is Lagos, the country’s commercial hub. Obinnia Abajue, executive director of personal and business banking at Stanbic IBTC, said it makes sense for foreign companies to operate in Lagos with its sizeable population of close to 20m and more developed infrastructure for business. However, the market is more competitive than other cities in the country.

“It’s the most competitive part of the country for business because you have got many people making the same decisions to locate in Lagos,” he told How we made it in Africa.

He highlighted that there are a number of other cities which investors should place on their radar, especially in terms of targeting rising consumer demand.

1. Abuja

Abuja is the capital city of Nigeria. While it has a much smaller population than Lagos, Abajue noted that it is a good place to enter the Nigerian market because it holds the highest per capita income in the country.

“It’s a small town [in terms of] population but with very wealthy people.”

2. Kano

Kano, the capital of Kano State in northern Nigeria, is the second largest city in terms of population, after Lagos.

According to Abajue, there is potential for cash and carry wholesale businesses.

This year, South African retailer Shoprite opened its first outlet in Kano, and Massmart is expected to do the same in the coming weeks. Despite the potential security risk posed by Islamic militants in the region, Mark Turner, Massmart’s Africa director, said at the Reuters Africa Summit in April: “I always want to be bold enough to say, you can’t be in Nigeria without being in Kano.”

Furthermore, a new African Development Bank (AfDB) report, titled Tracking Africa’s Progress in Figures, reveals Kano to be one of Africa’s fastest growing cities.

3. Port Harcourt

Abajue said that Port Harcourt, the capital of Rivers State, is the “centre of attention in the south of the country” due to the presence of oil companies and foreign investment in the area. He added that the city is also seeing a rise in per capita income.

Port Harcourt has access to two of the country’s busier ports and is home to the Port Harcourt Airport.

4. Aba

Aba is situated in the southeast and is also surrounded by oil wells. Abajue noted that the city acts as the trading centre of Nigeria.

“And again, there you will see strong purchasing power because a lot of trade is coming out of that place. [Aba] is the connecting spot for the hub of trade activities for the southeastern part of the country.”

5. Ibadan

“The last [city] that I would like to add is Ibadan in the southwest axis,” continued Abajue.

He noted that it is densely populated and has significant infrastructure. The capital of Oyo State has the third largest population in Nigeria, and, according to the AfDB report, is in the top 10 fastest growing cities in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by amsad19(m): 9:22am On Feb 04, 2016
grin Adamawa should also be included
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Africonji: 9:30am On Feb 04, 2016
Honestly OP betterABIAstate, me I think this your list is very balanced. But nwanne try to include your source so that some people will not come and start derailing it for selfish interest purposes.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 04, 2016
This year Nigeria becomes the largest economy in Africa??

Op which year abeg?? 2016

You no well...
Post link or...
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 9:38am On Feb 04, 2016
Watch anambra people come to this thread and ask why onitsha isn't on your list.

Schematics, food is ready.

1 Like

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 9:42am On Feb 04, 2016
Chidiebere(customized13), congrats.. cheesy

lolzzzz:
Watch anambra people come to this thread and ask why onitsha isn't on your list.

Schematics, food is ready.
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 9:44am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:
Chidiebere(customized13), congrats.. cheesy

congrats on what? I have not changed my car
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 9:46am On Feb 04, 2016
I wonder when they shall ban all your monikers- inlandtapan, nwabekeyi, lolzzzz, menabadoo, obafemawolowo etc. Congrats once again.. cheesy

lolzzzz:
congrats on what? I have not changed my car
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 9:51am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:
I wonder when they shall ban all your monikers- inlandtapan, nwabekeyi, lolzzzz, menabadoo, obafemawolowo etc. Congrats once again.. cheesy

anything that rocks your dirty anambra skull is welcomed, you can even call me seunosewa. grin

1 Like

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 9:55am On Feb 04, 2016
Chidiebere, now that Okezie has won, I hope that the filthy Aba with it's numerous bad roads will start seeing life..? cheesy

lolzzzz:
anything that rocks your dirty anambra skull is welcomed, you can even call me seunosewa. grin
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 10:02am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:
Chidiebere, now that Okezie has won, I hope the filthy Aba with it's numerous bad roads will start seeing life.. cheesy

lol, mumu, I'm not even from abia. grin

See your life?
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 10:32am On Feb 04, 2016
Chidiebere, you think I have time for your silly back and forth. Any moniker you open today, we shall know immediately, so stop deceiving yourself. I want Okezie to start doing something in your Abia State so that it will have life for once.. cheesy

lolzzzz:
funny clown, technology ko. Please stop making me laugh and tell me why onitsha didn't make the list.
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 10:35am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:
Chidiebere, you think I have time for your silly back and forth. Any moniker you open today, we shall get know, so stop deceiving yourself. I want Okezie to start doing something in your Abia State so that it will have life for once.. cheesy

OK agreed, I'm chidiebere grin if that will make you tell me why onitsha didn't make the list
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 10:46am On Feb 04, 2016
I know you are jesting but lemme break it down for you. Aba is the filthiest town in the Southern Nigeria; Aba is equally the town with the worst roads in the Southern Nigeria, so you see the reason I don't regard you Abia people and the same reason I don't want my state mentioned on the same paper with your state.. cheesy

lolzzzz:
onitsha should be mentioned with orlu, okigwe and ohafia wink
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 10:58am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:
Chidiebere, please come over to my office and have something cold to cool your hot mind.. cheesy
you are not only person that goes to office, stop jumping around and tell me why onitsha isn't on the list grin
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 10:59am On Feb 04, 2016
Is it not drug that you hawk around the town? Oya show us where you are right now if it is not one motor garage? cheesy cheesy

lolzzzz:
you are not only person that goes to office, stop jumping around and tell me why onitsha isn't on the list grin

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 11:33am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:
Is it not drug that you hawk around the town? Oya show us where you are right now if it is not one motor garage? cheesy cheesy

yes, in fact i am in main park aba now, i am selling herbs. Mumu

You better tell me why onitsha isn't on the list.
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 11:39am On Feb 04, 2016
Chidiebere, come and have late morning chow, you have suffered enough.. cheesy

This is how we roll. Chidiebere the suffer-head wandering around town..go and push barrow if you have failed as a drug hawker.

lolzzzz:
yes, in fact i am in main park aba now, i am selling herbs. Mumu

You better tell me why onitsha isn't on the list.

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 11:43am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:

you can't just stop using that your 10,000 oga mini-fridge (if you price wll, you will get it for 7k) with 100naira can malts to shy away from this discussing. grin

Why is onitsha not on the list?
Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 11:49am On Feb 04, 2016
Chidiebere, you are suffering too much, I saw that coat you wore while going out to hawk drugs, you look terrible. You are yet to show us where you are. Your phone does not have camera?? cheesy cheesy

Has your father stopped riding okada? Your parents and entire family are really suffering. cheesy cheesy

lolzzzz:
you can't just stop using that your 10,000 oga mini-fridge (if you price wll, you will get it for 7k) with 100naira can malts to shy away from this discussing. grin

Why is onitsha not on the list?

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 11:53am On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:

This is how we roll. Chidiebere the suffer-head wandering around town..go and push barrow if you have failed as a drug hawker.

me that I'm enjoying at home, you are here showing me picture of your hustling in office. My father can provide everything for me dude. grin

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by Schematics: 11:56am On Feb 04, 2016
This same picture again? What a crappy sitting room. This looks like sitting-room of 1980s..LOL

Poverty is writting in everything about you..I pity you buddy, you guys are really suffering. You see why you are still living in poverty because you followed the foot-step of your poor okada rider father..LOL

lolzzzz:
me that I'm enjoying at home, you are here showing me picture of your hustling in office. My father can provide everything for me dude. grin

Re: Top Five Key Cities In Nigeria For Investments by lolzzzz: 12:00pm On Feb 04, 2016
Schematics:
This same picture again? What a crappy sitting room. This looks like sitting-room of 1980s..LOL

Poverty is writting in everything about you..I pity you buddy, you guys are really suffering. You see why you are still living in poverty because you followed the foot-step of your poor okada rider father..LOL

lol, if this is poverty then I better remain here ooo, my father keep feeding me and I keep giving schematics headache. grin

Why is Onitsha not there?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make $50 Per Day-classified Ad Posting With CPA Free tutorial / Betting :::: A Good Investment Strategy!! / 2010 Ford Transit Ambulance. Tokunbo. Fully Equipped. 2 Units

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.