Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,150 members, 7,953,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:47 PM

Lassa Fever Outbreak In Nigeria Spreads To Ogun State, 60 Under Investigation - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lassa Fever Outbreak In Nigeria Spreads To Ogun State, 60 Under Investigation (427 Views)

Lassa Fever Spreads To Osun, One Dead, 40 Isolated / Ogun Government Confirms Lassa Fever Outbreak, 66 People Quarantined / Warning As MouthAction Spreads Untreatable Gonorrhoea Resistant To Antibiotics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lassa Fever Outbreak In Nigeria Spreads To Ogun State, 60 Under Investigation by pumpingmachine: 5:34pm On Feb 04, 2016
A 28-year old female that tested positive for Lassa fever has become the first person to be diagnosed with the condition in Ogun state. Furthermore, 60 other persons with point of contacts with the victim are under observation.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Babatunde Ipaye, who broke the news todayat a briefing on Thursday, said the person infected is a 28 year-old female at about 8.30pm on Wednesday.

According to him, "I want to confirm that the first Lassa fever casualty has been recorded in the state. The case is from a 28 years old girl, an indigene of Ogun state. She travelled to Ebonyi state on 8 January,2016 to attend a burial ceremony. We don't know what killed the person.

"She returned back to the state on 15, Jan. Few days after her return, she started having fever. She reported at Rubi hospital, Ota on 25 January,2016. Her case was managed there for some days till 2 February before she was transferred to Central hospital, Ota.

"Immediately, she got to the hospital, they called us to report to us because the symptom revealed the disease.

"Without wasting much time, we swung into action and we took her blood sample and sent to it to LUTH, Lagos. The first result came in around 5:10pm yesterday and the second result came in around 8pm. I spoke directly with Prof. Adelabu myself, the medical Director there and he confirmed it to me and immediately,we started diagnosis.

"We contacted the OOUTH team and she has been moved to the isolation unit of Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, OOUTH, Sagamu and aggressively managed. I spoke with the Lagos state Health Commissioner, he was already on his way out of the country, he linked me up with the Permanent Secretary, who urgently sent 10 ribavirine anti viral drug to commence treatment.

"She has passed through two different hospitals,we have admission into the hospitals and have ordered the closure of the two hospitals. We will decontaminate them before opening to avoid contamination", Ipaye explained.

Source: http://healthnewsng.com/lass-fever-in-nigeria-spreads-to-ogun-60-under-investigation/
Re: Lassa Fever Outbreak In Nigeria Spreads To Ogun State, 60 Under Investigation by Elosky20: 5:35pm On Feb 04, 2016
wow
Re: Lassa Fever Outbreak In Nigeria Spreads To Ogun State, 60 Under Investigation by chickygirl: 6:13pm On Feb 04, 2016
God hv mercy on us
Re: Lassa Fever Outbreak In Nigeria Spreads To Ogun State, 60 Under Investigation by paycash: 6:46pm On Feb 04, 2016
From Ogun to Eboyin state because of owambe may God not let patii kill Ijebu people.

(1) (Reply)

Yeepa!!! Food Vendor Says Lassa Fever Stays At Abule Ado / 3 Things You Should Lie To Your Kid About / Approach An Experience Hospital For Quality Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.