Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Most Supreme Court Cases in America are for the People unlike Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Most Supreme Court Cases in America are for the People unlike Nigeria (598 Views)

Herdsmen Werent Labelled Terrorists, They Are Criminals Unlike IPOB- Garba Shehu / How EFCC Can Win Corruption Cases In Court – Obasanjo / I Budgeted N200 Billion For Roads Unlike Jonathan’s Paltry N18 Billion – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Most Supreme Court Cases in America are for the People unlike Nigeria by uche77zero(m): 10:46pm On Feb 04, 2016
I did a review of the major landmark supreme court cases of the United State Of America from 1803 to 2015. I noticed that most cases that led to the supreme court were issues that concerned the bettermnet of the ordinary man,
1. 1824, Gibbons v. Ogden defined broadly Congress's right to regulate commerce.
2. 1857. Dred Scott v. Sandford was a highly controversial case that intensified the national debate over slavery.
3. 1954, Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka invalidated racial segregation in schools and led to the unraveling of de jure segregation in all areas of public life.
4. 1963, Gideon v. Wainwright guaranteed a defendant's right to legal counsel.
5. 1973, Roe v. Wade legalized abortion and is at the center of the current controversy between “pro-life” and “pro-choice” advocates.
6. 1978, Regents of the University of California v. Bakke imposed limitations on affirmative action to ensure that providing greater opportunities for minorities
7. 2003, Grutter v. Bollinger upheld the University of Michigan Law School's consideration of race and ethnicity in admissions.
8. My favourite 2012, in National Federation of Independent Business v. Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services, one of the most anticipated rulings in recent history, the Supreme Court upheld most of President Barack Obama's healthcare law—the signature legislation of his first term, including the individual mandate, which requires that most Americans buy health insurance or pay a fee.
The only major supreme case that was of a personal interest was 2000, Bush v. Gore the Court reversed the Florida Supreme Court decision ordering manual recount of presidential election ballots.
While in my country they only go to the supreme court for their personal interest to resolve their power tussles. In their quest for power they have succeeded in taking away our power

Re: Most Supreme Court Cases in America are for the People unlike Nigeria by itstpia8: 4:24am On Apr 07, 2016
Rationale behind the pictures of id cards?
Re: Most Supreme Court Cases in America are for the People unlike Nigeria by ATERI(m): 4:39am On Apr 07, 2016
uche77zero:
I did a review of the major landmark supreme court cases of the United State Of America from 1803 to 2015. I noticed that most cases that led to the supreme court were issues that concerned the bettermnet of the ordinary man,
1. 1824, Gibbons v. Ogden defined broadly Congress's right to regulate commerce.
2. 1857. Dred Scott v. Sandford was a highly controversial case that intensified the national debate over slavery.
3. 1954, Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka invalidated racial segregation in schools and led to the unraveling of de jure segregation in all areas of public life.
4. 1963, Gideon v. Wainwright guaranteed a defendant's right to legal counsel.
5. 1973, Roe v. Wade legalized abortion and is at the center of the current controversy between “pro-life” and “pro-choice” advocates.
6. 1978, Regents of the University of California v. Bakke imposed limitations on affirmative action to ensure that providing greater opportunities for minorities
7. 2003, Grutter v. Bollinger upheld the University of Michigan Law School's consideration of race and ethnicity in admissions.
8. My favourite 2012, in National Federation of Independent Business v. Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services, one of the most anticipated rulings in recent history, the Supreme Court upheld most of President Barack Obama's healthcare law—the signature legislation
of his first term, including the individual mandate, which requires that most Americans buy health insurance or pay a fee.
The only major supreme case that was of a personal interest was 2000, Bush v. Gore the Court reversed the Florida Supreme Court decision ordering manual recount of presidential election ballots.
While in my country they only go to the supreme court for their personal interest to resolve their power tussles. In their quest for power they have succeeded in taking away our power

Whatever one has against America, you can`t compare the Supreme Court there with what we have in Nigeria. What we have in Nigeria is a joke. They only rule against the government whenever nothing is at stake. Their first, second and third priority is their stomach and the need to be liked by the Executive; our Supreme Court is a mere assemblage of the worst wimps in the country. The judiciary remains the best organ of government in the United States.

(1) (Reply)

See How BRT Buses Left Hundreds Of Commuters Stranded In Ikorodu,Lagos(photos) / Judge Says EFCC Hasn't Erred In Detaining Dasuki After Meeting Bail Conditions / Meet The Patron Saint Of Aso Rock- St. Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.