Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,218 members, 7,825,818 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! (2969 Views)

Aerial View Of Participants At The Lagos City Marathon (Photos) / Harrison Chinedu Completes The Lagos City Marathon Riding A Bicycle (Photo) / Jay Jay Okocha Shows His Skills In Kenya As Kenyans Watch In Admiration(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by fatgirl: 9:43pm On Feb 07, 2016
Why Kenyans always win marathon races, a lesson for Nigeria...
What to do if you see 3 Kenyans in a marathon race...

Just turn back and go home, you can watch the race from TV, because the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places have already been taken.

This is not just funny, its true and happens almost all the time. Kenyans run so fast in long distance races that other athletes can only but marvel.

The Atlantic put it this way, after observing the Boston Marathon:
"Two hours, 31 minutes, and 51 seconds after the Boston marathon began on Monday, its male and female champions had already finished. A few minutes later, race-watchers noticed something. The first, second, and third-place men were all Kenyan. So were the first, second, and third-place women. It was yet another amazing showing for Kenyan runners, and yet another reason to ask: how?"

1. One reason could be the commitment they put into training:

A few years ago, the world 5,000m champion Mo Farah, from Britain, got a glimpse of the secret when he moved into a house in south-west London with a group of top Kenyan runners. The experience of living with the athletes changed everything for him. At the time Farah was struggling to even make finals on the world stage. A few years later he was world champion. "To see them just eat, sleep and train and nothing else was a big shock for me," he said in a recent interview.

Farah was already the top British runner at the time, but according to Huffington post, the level of dedication he saw from the Kenyans was a revelation.

The Kenyans were just all about the race. No distractions, nothing more.

2. Practice from young age:
Kenyan children start running long distances from a very young age. As children, they usually run 7-10 kilometers per day to school. I am talking about the part of Kenya where most of those long distance runners come from. That part of Kenya is called rift-valley.
Since I have been writing a lot about homo sapiens and early men recently, may be I should just chip in that that's the area man first appeared on earth (According to Scientific fossil records).

Children of other countries who will eventually be marathon runners usually take school bus smiley
Its a classical case of sleeping while your opponent is practicing.
According to Huffingtonpost
Virtually every successful Kenyan runner is from a poor, rural family. From an early age they run everywhere. Daniel Komen, the world record holder at 3,000m, told me: "Every day I used to milk the cows, run to school, run home for lunch, back to school, home, tend the cows. This is the Kenyan way."
An evolutionary biologist Daniel Lieberman who has studied the evolution of running when asked "how might their environment shape a Kenyan athlete", his reply was revealing
The area of Kenya where a lot of the best runners come from — the Western Rift Valley — is a beautiful, wonderful place. If there is any one factor that leaps out at me, it is how many people [in that region] are poor and work hard. There are almost no jobs apart from subsistence farming. There are no factories, and very few secondary schools. So there are really few options for young people to better their lives. They can either work hard on a farm or train to be a great runner.

3. Running bare footed :
A third reason I discovered is that those who started practicing long distance races on bare foot tend to have an advantage over those who use footwear.
The barefooters tend to land with the area of their leg closest to their toes or with the side of their feet. Unlike the shoe team in developed countries that land with their heels all the time due to their training with nike and air jordan.
Landing with your heels gives you a jolt shock that passes through your body to your head. Have you observed that before?

As kids, Kenyans run to and fro school on bare foot.

4. Low body mass index :
These Kenyans athletes are usually extremely thin. Just take another look at any of them. So they just breeze through the race without difficulty.

However, scientists were unable to find any specific genes that make them run that fast. They have hypothesized it, but no one has found it yet.

Another country that runs that well is Ethiopia. They are in the same east Africa with Kenya.

- Curled from: http://braintem.org/twists/view/132273/#sthash.m0UlPaGJ.dpuf

Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by fatgirl: 9:44pm On Feb 07, 2016
FTC

Seun , lalasticlala ,OAM4J, Mynd44, honeric01, semid4lyfe
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 07, 2016
STC
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by gbengaizzHe: 9:57pm On Feb 07, 2016
Last hope of survival
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by psucc(m): 10:31pm On Feb 07, 2016
Didn't expect less.
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by chriskosherbal(m): 10:35pm On Feb 07, 2016
The Kenyans are superb in marathon race.
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by mikolo80: 10:47pm On Feb 07, 2016
high altitude. same reason Jos and residents dominate long distance races in Nigeria
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by naijalander: 10:59pm On Feb 07, 2016
fatgirl:
Why Kenyans always win marathon races, a lesson for Nigeria...
What to do if you see 3 Kenyans in a marathon race...

Just turn back and go home, you can watch the race from TV, because the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places have already been taken.

This is not just funny, its true and happens almost all the time. Kenyans run so fast in long distance races that other athletes can only but marvel.

The Atlantic put it this way, after observing the Boston Marathon:
"Two hours, 31 minutes, and 51 seconds after the Boston marathon began on Monday, its male and female champions had already finished. A few minutes later, race-watchers noticed something. The first, second, and third-place men were all Kenyan. So were the first, second, and third-place women. It was yet another amazing showing for Kenyan runners, and yet another reason to ask: how?"

1. One reason could be the commitment they put into training:

A few years ago, the world 5,000m champion Mo Farah, from Britain, got a glimpse of the secret when he moved into a house in south-west London with a group of top Kenyan runners. The experience of living with the athletes changed everything for him. At the time Farah was struggling to even make finals on the world stage. A few years later he was world champion. "To see them just eat, sleep and train and nothing else was a big shock for me," he said in a recent interview.

Farah was already the top British runner at the time, but according to Huffington post, the level of dedication he saw from the Kenyans was a revelation.

The Kenyans were just all about the race. No distractions, nothing more.

2. Practice from young age:
Kenyan children start running long distances from a very young age. As children, they usually run 7-10 kilometers per day to school. I am talking about the part of Kenya where most of those long distance runners come from. That part of Kenya is called rift-valley.
Since I have been writing a lot about homo sapiens and early men recently, may be I should just chip in that that's the area man first appeared on earth (According to Scientific fossil records).

Children of other countries who will eventually be marathon runners usually take school bus smiley
Its a classical case of sleeping while your opponent is practicing.
According to Huffingtonpost
Virtually every successful Kenyan runner is from a poor, rural family. From an early age they run everywhere. Daniel Komen, the world record holder at 3,000m, told me: "Every day I used to milk the cows, run to school, run home for lunch, back to school, home, tend the cows. This is the Kenyan way."
An evolutionary biologist Daniel Lieberman who has studied the evolution of running when asked "how might their environment shape a Kenyan athlete", his reply was revealing
The area of Kenya where a lot of the best runners come from — the Western Rift Valley — is a beautiful, wonderful place. If there is any one factor that leaps out at me, it is how many people [in that region] are poor and work hard. There are almost no jobs apart from subsistence farming. There are no factories, and very few secondary schools. So there are really few options for young people to better their lives. They can either work hard on a farm or train to be a great runner.

3. Running bare footed :
A third reason I discovered is that those who started practicing long distance races on bare foot tend to have an advantage over those who use footwear.
The barefooters tend to land with the area of their leg closest to their toes or with the side of their feet. Unlike the shoe team in developed countries that land with their heels all the time due to their training with nike and air jordan.
Landing with your heels gives you a jolt shock that passes through your body to your head. Have you observed that before?

As kids, Kenyans run to and fro school on bare foot.

4. Low body mass index :
These Kenyans athletes are usually extremely thin. Just take another look at any of them. So they just breeze through the race without difficulty.

However, scientists were unable to find any specific genes that make them run that fast. They have hypothesized it, but no one has found it yet.

Another country that runs that well is Ethiopia. They are in the same east Africa with Kenya.

- Curled from: http://braintem.org/twists/view/132273/#sthash.m0UlPaGJ.dpuf

I think it mostly has to do with the country's elevation.
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by scribble: 11:06pm On Feb 07, 2016
Meanwhile Nigerians will take Okada down the street just to buy boli

But I don't blame them because danfos make Nigerian streets deadly to walk all lackadaisical on

2 Likes

Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by K9blunt(f): 11:14pm On Feb 07, 2016
scribble:
Meanwhile Nigerians will take Okada down the street just to buy boli

But I don't blame them because danfos make Nigerian streets deadly to walk all lackadaisical on

You're right but I can't stop laughing at this comment.

Lol lwkmdlwkmd grin
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by fatgirl: 5:33am On Feb 08, 2016
naijalander:

true

1 Like

Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by Nobody: 4:08pm On Feb 08, 2016
naijalander:

cc: fatgirl Thats more realistic explanation, the other stuff the article talks about is white-man trying to justify something he cant conquer,
Also another reason why the Kenyans (especially from this high altitude town) has kept that consistence, is there are role models, when the first guy won, he came back famouse, so it insires the whole town, when another bunch of guys went to race and came back rich and famouse and built a school for the community, every kid in the small town wanted to be him, eventually, you create a town of dreamers with lots of atheletes as role model, ... soon you find yourself with a culture of runners................

Its the same thing that happened with Kenya cyclist, After cris froom, who was raised in Kenya won tour de france, now there is whole rising cycling culture inspired and wanting to be like him.

As for the rest of the resons kiven in the article, thats bulsh!t, if it was about running to school, surely its not everyone who runs to school, what about other poor villages from different parts of Africa? dont they run to school too?
Also, same thing with bare foot
Also same thing with poverty

here is another article wich dis-proves this one

the cultural argument has been that Kenyans become great runners because they often run several miles to and from school every day. But, about a decade ago, someone started asking actual Kenyans if this was true, and it turned out to be a merely a product of Western imaginations: 14 of 20 surveyed Kenyan race-winners said they'd walked or ridden the bus to school, like normal children do. Another cultural argument says they run barefoot, which develops good habits, but if this were true then surely the far more populated countries of South Asia, where living without shoes is also common, would dominate over Kenyans.

1 Like

Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by fatgirl: 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2016
denisfidha:
cc: fatgirl Thats more realistic explanation, the other stuff the article talks about is white-man trying to justify something he cant conquer,
Also another reason why the Kenyans (especially from this high altitude town) has kept that consistence, is there are role models, when the first guy won, he came back famous, so it insired the whole town, when another bunch of guys went to race and came back rich and famouse and built a school for the community, every kid in the small town wanted to be him, eventually, you create a town of dreamers with lots of atheletes as role model, ... soon you find yourself with a culture of runners................

Its the same thing that happened with Kenya cyclist, After cris froom, who was raised in Kenya won tour de france, now there is whole rising cycling culture inspired and wanting to be like him.

As for the rest of the resons kiven in the article, thats bulsh!t, if it was about running to school, surely its not everyone who runs to school, what about other poor villages from different parts of Africa? dont they run to school too?
Also, same thing with bare foot
Also same thing with poverty

here is another article wich dis-proves this one

so true
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by lunacol(m): 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2017
Nigerians can win them,it's a matter of time,just dedication and training. We must compete with the best to get better as far as long distance race is concerned and also participate in more competitions to increase our profile in long distance races.Mo Farah was nobody in Long distance race but with time in dedicated training he beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians in long distance race.
Re: Why Kenyans Always Win Marathon Races! by ymstar(m): 6:46pm On Jan 27, 2018
lunacol:
Nigerians can win them,it's a matter of time,just dedication and training. We must compete with the best to get better as far as long distance race is concerned and also participate in more competitions to increase our profile in long distance races.Mo Farah was nobody in Long distance race but with time in dedicated training he beat the Kenyans and Ethiopians in long distance race.
very true

(1) (Reply)

Senegalese FA To Recall Mancity Leroy Sane Rejected By Germans / 20 Greatest Captain's In The History Of Football / Photo: Gambler Slumps Inside A Betting Shop Over 21million Naira Coupon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.