Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,746 members, 7,827,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity (1053 Views)

Reasons Why Oil Is Not The Problem Of Agriculture In Nigeria / The CBN Governor The Problem Of Nigeria Or Are We Getting It Wrong? / (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by CPriest: 7:43am On Feb 09, 2016
I am driven to continue with the series on how stupid we seem to be in Nigeria because of the current 40% in electricity tarriff. I saw one comparison of electricity costs in Cape Town (South Africa's most expensive area) and Ojuelegba Lagos. The poor man living in a one room face to face pays more than the rich of Cape Town for electricity.

Now I bring to you three stories, one of a German village of about 160 homes which generates electricity, the other village generates and sells, and the second is the day peopl were paid to use electricity in Texas. Yes, that is real.

This small German village called Wildpoldsried produces its own power, produces 5x more than it needs, and sells the remaining making $7m annually from selling excess electricity. At the moment, Wildpoldsried has a wide variety of renewable energy facilities, including 11 wind turbines that have a capacity of about 12 MW, solar photovoltaics with a 4,900 kWp capacity, that are mostly mounted on private homes, along with five biogas plants, three hydro power plants, and a solar thermal system. What’s even more admirable, many projects were financed by the town’s residents themselves, with a small help from the Bavarian Government.

The second village called Feldheim has a population of 160. Yes, 160. They contributed 3000 - 4000 Euros each (about N1million each before Naira broke), and today they are totally off-grid. They make their own power! The wind farm now has 47 turbines, which produce 175 million kilowatt hours of electricity every year. The town of Feldheim uses just one per cent of that, the rest is sold back into the wider grid. Residents and businesses now pay a third less for their electricity than other German communities, at 16.5 eurocents per kilowatt hour.

Sometimes in 2015, a very strange thing happened: The so-called spot price of electricity in Texas fell toward zero, hit zero, and then went negative for several hours. As the Lone Star State slumbered, power producers were paying the state’s electricity system to take electricity off their hands. At one point, the negative price was $8.52 per megawatt hour. There have been 84 records of such instances as at 2015, imagine you getting paid for using electricity.

But why are we always getting things wrong? They tell us we pay more for running generators, it is only a core fool that will compare generators with public utility and use cost of running generators as a model for pricing electricity. And it is only in Nigeria you see such reasoning.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by manutdadex(m): 8:24am On Feb 09, 2016
Yn
Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by manutdadex(m): 8:26am On Feb 09, 2016
Why is it so difficult to replicate this here?e no fit b spiritual o because our prayer vault for heaven don full
Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by Brunel(m): 3:09pm On Feb 12, 2016
CPriest:
I am driven to continue with the series on how stupid we seem to be in Nigeria because of the current 40% in electricity tarriff. I saw one comparison of electricity costs in Cape Town (South Africa's most expensive area) and Ojuelegba Lagos. The poor man living in a one room face to face pays more than the rich of Cape Town for electricity.

Now I bring to you three stories, one of a German village of about 160 homes which generates electricity, the other village generates and sells, and the second is the day peopl were paid to use electricity in Texas. Yes, that is real.

This small German village called Wildpoldsried produces its own power, produces 5x more than it needs, and sells the remaining making $7m annually from selling excess electricity. At the moment, Wildpoldsried has a wide variety of renewable energy facilities, including 11 wind turbines that have a capacity of about 12 MW, solar photovoltaics with a 4,900 kWp capacity, that are mostly mounted on private homes, along with five biogas plants, three hydro power plants, and a solar thermal system. What’s even more admirable, many projects were financed by the town’s residents themselves, with a small help from the Bavarian Government.

The second village called Feldheim has a population of 160. Yes, 160. They contributed 3000 - 4000 Euros each (about N1million each before Naira broke), and today they are totally off-grid. They make their own power! The wind farm now has 47 turbines, which produce 175 million kilowatt hours of electricity every year. The town of Feldheim uses just one per cent of that, the rest is sold back into the wider grid. Residents and businesses now pay a third less for their electricity than other German communities, at 16.5 eurocents per kilowatt hour.

Sometimes in 2015, a very strange thing happened: The so-called spot price of electricity in Texas fell toward zero, hit zero, and then went negative for several hours. As the Lone Star State slumbered, power producers were paying the state’s electricity system to take electricity off their hands. At one point, the negative price was $8.52 per megawatt hour. There have been 84 records of such instances as at 2015, imagine you getting paid for using electricity.

But why are we always getting things wrong? They tell us we pay more for running generators, it is only a core fool that will compare generators with public utility and use cost of running generators as a model for pricing electricity. And it is only in Nigeria you see such reasoning.
what do you think can be done to change this?

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by CPriest: 2:57am On Feb 13, 2016
Brunel:

what do you think can be done to change this?

Your interest (I guess that's why you asked the question) is appreciated. Looking at the two cases they are community driven projects. Before now, I still wonder why universities in Nigeria should still be in darkness or burn diesel like it is oxygen. University communities are a good fit for smaller versions of this project. High profile estates are also fit for such.

The technical side - the expertise to make something like this happen is a major challenge. I am not saying it is impossible to find people here who can design and build electricity generation projects but such will be scarce. In my opinion, getting the funding required is not as hard as getting experienced people to plan and build it.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by Brunel(m): 3:35am On Feb 13, 2016
CPriest:

Your interest (I guess that's why you asked the question) is appreciated. Looking at the two cases they are community driven projects. Before now, I still wonder why universities in Nigeria should still be in darkness or burn diesel like it is oxygen. University communities are a good fit for smaller versions of this project. High profile estates are also fit for such.

The technical side - the expertise to make something like this happen is a major challenge. I am not saying it is impossible to find people here who can design and build electricity generation projects but such will be scarce. In my opinion, getting the funding required is not as hard as getting experienced people to plan and build it.
You're completely right about the availability of technical manpower. Renewable energy systems interest me because almost everything depend on it.
Nigeria has so much potential in this field that it baffles me we are not utilising it, more surprising is the fact that there is no stable power and many businesses and communities rely on fuel burning to generate electricity when an alternative source is just an elbow stretch away.
I hope to fill this technical lacuna sometime soon. I'm currently taking a course on renewable energy systems.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by Chuksgeo: 4:57am On Feb 13, 2016
very correct
Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by Pavore9: 5:47am On Feb 13, 2016
So true because based on what l have experienced regarding biogas, l know with about N8m, a village of 100 homes that had never beem connected to the national grid can have access to power for lightning and charging of phones from 6p.m to 6a.m daily.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by CPriest: 11:09am On Feb 13, 2016
Brunel:

You're completely right about the availability of technical manpower. Renewable energy systems interest me because almost everything depend on it.
Nigeria has so much potential in this field that it baffles me we are not utilising it, more surprising is the fact that there is no stable power and many businesses and communities rely on fuel burning to generate electricity when an alternative source is just an elbow stretch away.
I hope to fill this technical lacuna sometime soon. I'm currently taking a course on renewable energy systems.

That's a good one, wish you the best in it. Hope you contribute to the solutions we need.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by Walexz02(m): 10:47pm On Feb 13, 2016
I think it's all because of our over dependent on government..like @cpriest said earlier our universities should be the edge pioneers of this type of projects but alas what they are all after is money! I think if we and our communities start to help ourselves it would be easier for the government to help us.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria Is Not PHCN. The Problem Is Stupidity by millhouse: 2:48am On Feb 16, 2016
OK

(1) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia And Russia Agree Oil Output Freeze / Naira Appreciates To N345/$ As Bdcs Kick Against Devaluation - Vanguard... / Ten Businesses That Can Strive In The Current Bad Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.