Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,040 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

(clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? (11015 Views)

Daddy Freeze's Clap Back Vs The Beef Between Ja Rule And 50 Cent. / Nature Provided This Snake For Correct Soup / Nairalanders...which Of These Statements Is Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Jamie1360(m): 12:56pm On Feb 09, 2016
my friend called me just now and told me they are arguing about which one is correct between clap him and clap for him, and that I should tell him the correct one, the next thing I did was hanging up cos I don't know what to say, and I've tried to cross check it on Google but its just directing to some stupid site, which I can't even get the answer clearly so that's why I decided to post it here maybe someone can help me out

please I need your comments
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by missingrib(f): 12:58pm On Feb 09, 2016
d most common one being use is clap for him
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by MrFlavvor(m): 12:59pm On Feb 09, 2016
Jamie1360:
my friend called me just now and told me they are arguing about which one is correct between clap him and clap for him, and that I should tell him the correct one, the next thing I did was hanging up cos I don't know what to say, and I've tried to cross check it on Google but its just directing to some stupid site, which I can't even get the answer clearly so that's why I decided to post it here maybe someone can help me out

it's clap for him of course!
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Jamie1360(m): 1:00pm On Feb 09, 2016
MrFlavvor:
it's clap for him of course!
but please can you explain better
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by MrFlavvor(m): 1:00pm On Feb 09, 2016
missingrib:
d most common one being use is clap for him
to the best of my knowledge, clap him has never been used.
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by MrFlavvor(m): 1:01pm On Feb 09, 2016
Jamie1360:
but please can you explain better
i'd have to ask my mother 'cos she studied applied linguistics
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Jamie1360(m): 1:03pm On Feb 09, 2016
MrFlavvor:

i'd have to ask my mother 'cos she studied applied linguistics
please do
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by missingrib(f): 1:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
MrFlavvor:
to the best of my knowledge, clap him has never been used.
never heard of clap him either just viewing out my opinion
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by MrFlavvor(m): 1:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
Jamie1360:
please do
shes at home in yenagoa buh as soon as I can i'll ask her
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Jamie1360(m): 1:06pm On Feb 09, 2016
MrFlavvor:
shes at home in yenagoa buh as soon as I can i'll ask her
I'll appreciate that
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by MrFlavvor(m): 1:07pm On Feb 09, 2016
Jamie1360:
I'll appreciate that
kk
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by MrFlavvor(m): 7:05am On Feb 11, 2016
Jamie1360:
I'll appreciate that
Clap=verb.Him=pronoun. Verb+pronoun=wrong. For=adverb. Used To Support Verb B4 Pronoun.Therefore Verb+adverb+pronoun=correct

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Jamie1360(m): 7:13am On Feb 11, 2016
MrFlavvor:
Clap=verb.Him=pronoun. Verb+pronoun=wrong. For=adverb. Used To Support Verb B4 Pronoun.Therefore Verb+adverb+pronoun=correct
okay thanks for that
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by joker11: 2:43pm On Jun 30, 2016
[b]
Oblige me to first explain what clap means in the context of this post.
Clap – to strike the palms of the hands together with an abrupt loud sound, usually repeated; as in applauding.
– To strike together with a sharp sound, as one hard surface on another. E.g. He clapped a book on the desk.
– To strike lightly but firmly with the open hand, as in greeting, encouragement, etc. E.g. He clapped his friend on the back.
– To place quickly, firmly or forcibly. E.g. They clapped him in jail for stealing.
*For is used for saying who or what is intended to receive something or get the benefit of it. It is used for stating the purpose of an object or action. E.g. Keep the book for Sona.
‘Clap for him’ to mean that you are applauding someone is correct.
Look at it this way; clap means to put the palms of your hands together, as in applauding.
So, if you say, ‘put your hands together for him’ then replace ‘put your hands together’ with its equivalent ‘clap’, it will then be written as ‘clap for him’.
Considering what ‘for’ means, ‘clap for him’ then indicates that you are stating who is receiving the action, ‘clap’ or that the purpose you are clapping is for him.
‘Clap him’, on the other hand means to to put him quickly or forcibly somewhere.
E.g. He was clapped in jail for stealing.
– They clapped him in the shelter against his will.
Therefore, both statements are correct depending on the context they are being used.
[/b]

5 Likes

Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Benyinka(m): 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2016
Jamie1360:

Check http://englishnaija.com/clap-him-or-clap-for-him-all-the-explanation-you-need/. It explains all aspects of it.
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by abuomaIV(m): 8:13am On Nov 07, 2016
a round of applause for him is the correct word.
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Dething: 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
After several years, I got answer now.

It's clap him.
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Ronpet777(m): 10:29am On Jan 15, 2020
Dething:
After several years, I got answer now.

It's clap him.

It is clap for him. Read the proof up there . I have checked well. Some British speakers say that but others and Americans, Canadians and Australians only accept clap for him/her/them.
Re: (clap Him) Or (clap For Him) Which One Is Correct???? by Raveen(f): 1:39pm On Jan 15, 2020
Clap for him means to appluad, for the most part by applauding together.

Example(in Modern American English)

* She clapped for him during the gathering

Whereas,clap him might mean give him the applaud, which is Gonnoreha a sexually transmitted disease. Most likely a decent word decision

In outline, these are the realities: prestigious word references bolster the British structure as the standard (clap him/her; a clap for him/her) and think that its unnatural to state 'clap him/her'; Americans, Canadians and Australians discover it very normal to state 'clap for him/her' and find the British structure abnormal/weird

(1) (Reply)

What Is Man's Greatest Invention? / How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? / Wish 5 Nairalanders A Merry Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.