Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,462 members, 7,864,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:49 AM

Sleep Paralaysis - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sleep Paralaysis (588 Views)

7 Reasons Why Married Men Sleep With Their House Helps / My Wife Snores While Sleeping; I Hardly Sleep At Night / Zimbabwean Man Forces Wife To Sleep With Stranger For $3000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sleep Paralaysis by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 09, 2016
So I'm going through this thing called sleep paralysis and I just found out thats what's called in English and this is what Wikipedia has to say about it.

It started when I was 13 and since then it's been a struggle having a peaceful sleep , actually I started hating to sleep because of it , I avoid sleepingas much as I can since it started happening to me , at first I didn't tell anyone cuz I thought it was gonna go away and stop happening although the very first time it happened to me I thought I WAS DYING!!! Then it got sooooo worse and I hated IT so I told my mom everything and she said to me my grandmother and her cousin had this same Condition and its passed on she told me it was in our gene and THATMADE me hate it just more and scared more than ever. It's been years now and I'm kinda used to it , whenever it happens I just do some tricks and it goes away.

Does anyone have this? What's ur experiences, did you get rid if it abs if yes then how?

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person either during falling asleep (hypnagogia) or awakening (hypnopompia), temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react.

It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body).

One hypothesis is that it results from disrupted REM sleep, which normally induces complete muscle atonia to prevent sleepers from acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea; however, it can also occur in isolation.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralaysis by Dyt(f): 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
Treatment
There has been little scientific investigation into methods for treating or coping with sleep paralysis. However, based on the research that is available, we can make informed suggestions about how sleep paralysis may be managed.

Probably the best advice that can be given is to try and adopt a regular sleeping pattern. Research indicates that a dysfunctional sleep/wake cycle may be a mediating factor in sleep paralysis, and experiments have even shown that disruption of people’s sleeping patterns can directly induce the state. With these research findings in mind, it would be sound advice to try to adopt a sleeping pattern with strict times of going to bed and waking up. Caffeine and alcohol should be avoided close to bedtime, as these have been shown to disrupt the sleep cycle. Obviously this method is not suitable for everyone. Work and other commitments may make it impossible to set strict times for going to bed and waking up each day. If sleep paralysis attacks cannot be prevented, it is possible to develop effective coping strategies to employ should an attack occur. A number of such strategies have been suggested, although their efficacy has not been tested systematically. Different methods seem to work for different people. Sleep paralysis attacks end when the paralysis is broken – this may happen naturally, or by being shaken awake by a partner. Some popular management techniques include:

Some people find it helpful to disassociate themselves from the attack. Rather than allowing themselves to become immersed in the attack, they adopt a third person stance, observing their body and perceived environment as objectively as possible. Focusing on noticing and analysing details of the attack can make the experience less overwhelming and immersive.
Many people find that of they can avoid sleeping on their back the chance of an attack is much reduced.
Many people find that staying calm is the most important thing to remember during a sleep paralysis attack. It has been suggested that remembering and understanding what is happening and – as much as possible – trying to relax and breathe normally can reduce the length and intensity of an attack.
Some people are able to control their breathing or make small noises during an attack and can use this to break it either by alerting a partner, fully waking themselves, holding their breath for a short period or intentionally breathing with increasing speed and heaviness, making firm noises until the paralysis is broken.
Concentrating intensely on moving one small muscle, such as a finger, can lead to a tiny movement which can break the paralysis and end the attack.
Re: Sleep Paralaysis by Dyt(f): 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
Re: Sleep Paralaysis by dulux07(m): 8:21pm On Feb 09, 2016
Aka old hag's syndrome, I also experienced it, its very scary but not life threatenin. It occurs less frequently as u grow older, n may finally stop. wink
Re: Sleep Paralaysis by austine4real(m): 1:22am On Feb 10, 2016
Omo na prayer sure pass
Re: Sleep Paralaysis by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 10, 2016
It happens to me sometimes but I just wriggle my toes or fingers and it disappears cheesy that's my trick, if you can move a little part of your body, the whole body will be awake

(1) (Reply)

When Ur Pastor Tells You To Bring Ur Problem To Church / Wonderful! Woman Gives Birth To Quintuplets, See Where And How [photos] / The Right Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.