Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake (33278 Views)

Hierarchy Of Yoruba Obas As Of 1920 / Photo Of Senior Yoruba Obas In 1937 / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 10, 2016
AreaFada2:

And reason is because they didn't come from Yoruba. We are at least educated people.

Anthropological & philological research do not put Yoruba & Benin in same language group, though both are East Kwa/Volta-Niger languages (West-Benue-Congo) of Niger-Congo language family like Igbo, Fon, & Ewe in Ghana, Yoruba & Benin diverted from a proto language long ago, almost when Ewe, Igbo, & Fon did. Promity meant certain words were assimilated both ways.

Benin people like me with known links to Yorubaland are very proud of it and kept a lot of the culture.

Anybody with royal blood knows they are related to Ooni of Ife.

Benin was an Imperial City and Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw and many others from provinces came to live there.

Benin is not so much a tribe but a nation with common history & culture.

Most Yoruba people who argue here online have never lived in Benin and know nothing about the place.

While Yoruba see Ododuwa as some superhuman mythical being, the Benins (not Binis, such exists not despite widespread misspelling), see him as a real person, a Benin prince who suffered adversity/injustice, anguish, pain, desperation, hopelessness until providence finally smiled on him in Ife.

To make him superhuman takes away from his suffering as a human being and even dehumanises him.

Uncle, the problem with Bini history is they cannot separate Yoruba's mythology from Yoruba's actual history - Yorubas have a problem with this as well.

There are two Oduduwas, likewise the two Obatalas and all Yoruba deities.

The frist is the actual mythical figure mostly explaining Yoruba creation story and spirituality.

Whole the second is the actual human figure who was part of an epoch. These humans mostly get called the names of figures from the spiritual aspect based on the level of their history.

Odu to da iwa (vessel that brought existence) was the chicken, chameleon and rooster guy in the creation of the world in Yoruba story.

Oduduwa was not the Olofin's real name but was adopted to be used for him because he brought in a new era in Ife. I am sure Bini believe Oranimiyan was the real name of the person they call(ed) Omonoyan?

You lot may have Izoduwa or whatever which is good for y'all but civilizations world over have been known to have similarly sounding words for eons despite not having any connection. Oduduwa was never a corruption of Izoduwa, Odu da Iwa (Odu to da Iwa) has a meaning which is different from Izoduduwa which has its own meaning.

For further understanding, there's Obatala who got drunk and lost creation chance to Oduduwa and there's Obatala who lived in Ife and whose lineage I'm from.

There's Osun who came to earth with othee deity figures and got impregnanted and there was Osun who was human and got married to Sango.

There was Olokun who lived in the sea and there was Olokun yemideregbe who lived in Ife and got married to Olofin.

There was Orunmila who descended and there was Orunmila who lived at Oke Igeti in Ife whose small hut still stands though in ruins.

There was whom Osun birthed and there was Esu who lived in Ife at Ilare.

The list is endless, if you want to argue Oduduwa first of all get the meaning of the name in Yoruba and then discard the Mecca, chain from heaven and Egypt stories then begin to read up on Oke Ora, Gbonkaa, Lokore, Obameri, Obadio.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Wyttcat: 8:54am On Feb 11, 2016
Who even knows Alake? Alake is a second class Oba. Alake is just jealous of Awujale, because he knows he can't stand where Awujale is, and he's not as powerful and recognizable. Anyways, the Ooni knows best and paying visit in hierarchy of ranks.

1. Alaafin.
2. Awujale

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by PenSniper: 9:44am On Feb 11, 2016
Nwaoguta:
Oba of benin is like a father to ooni of ife,Quote me anywhere.

Is that so ? Okay, please answer these questions -
1) Between the Ife and Bini throne, which was the first to come into existence?
2) The word "Oba" is yoruba word and not Edo. So how come it wasn't used by the yoruba but by the Bini ?

In yoruba tradition, the Owa of Obokun, Alake of Egbaland, Orangun of Ila, etc, are
insignias or the titles of the thrones to which they refer whilst the occupants of the thrones are called "Obas".
From time immemorial, the appelations used for heads of Towns and villages in yorubaland are 'Oba' and 'Baale'.
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Wyttcat: 10:01am On Feb 11, 2016
These low self-esteem crossed breed Benin creeps are crazy along side their fake Oba of benin who is not a real oba in the first place, if he doesn't have Yoruba blood in him, he's a scam, and the spirit behind obas can't be with him, that's why he's mostly confused. Yoruba really need to stop mentioning him in any topic, the Bini that were a Yoruba subgroup are gone forever, these aliens that are occupying the land now just want to ride on the back of the exaggerated history of the land that was NEVER theirs. They are inferior and should be ignored. Stupid people who have to use Yoruba language to worship gods they claim to own. They have to give Yoruba names to their kids and still use my language in key areas of their lives. I feel like throwing up on their heads that are always bigger than the rest of their bodies including that their poo sniffing Oba oshi!
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by nisai: 3:33pm On Feb 11, 2016
YoruBadGoon:

Looool.

My Ijebu nyggahs aren't playing - they know their history. Olowu of Owu is the only Egba king we know - Alake is a 19th century creation. And if anyone should be talking, based on being the first son of Oduduwa - it should be Olowu, not Alake. Then again, Owu was decimated by Ijebus and they all became refugees in Abeokuta under the rock. So, you can never rank any Egba king over Ijebu.

Even Ife owes Ijebu cos without Ijebus, Ife would've been sacked and turned to a ghost town time ago. We protected Ife with thousands of Ijebu warriors with guns. Only Oyo is up there based on influence, reach, military might, and the fact that we all speak the Oyo dialect today. Then we can throw the Ooni up there with Alaafin cos Ife represents the peak of Yoruba civilisation, the origin, and the spirituality of Yorubas.

Eweso. grin
The Awujale is seeming too soft to me.This is why every bale turned obas in the 18th century ought to proclaiming themselves over him.

And you are used to rating Oyo over Ijebu why is that?They (Ijebus) were never conquered by any other subgroup.That we are speaking a concocted oyo dialect today was never by conquest.The Ijebus shown their capacity during the Anglo/Ijebu war.Think what would become of it if they were to unify and gather enough ammunition against another yoruba subgroup.

Stop belittling us abeg.
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by nisai: 3:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Wyttcat:
Who even knows Alake? Alake is a second class Oba. Alake is just jealous of Awujale, because he knows he can't stand where Awujale is, and he's not as powerful and recognizable. Anyways, the Ooni knows best and paying visit in hierarchy of ranks.

1. Alaafin.
2. Awujale
Him don use him jealousy cause trouble now.
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Kayrich(m): 11:36pm On Feb 11, 2016
One question i want to ask is this.
During old oyo state when alafin & ooni are in this same system, who is the chairman of the council of obas?
Now I will know if everybody's comment has basic or not.
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Charlesdock(m): 11:55pm On Feb 11, 2016
With the way you guys dey draw soup I think we have to wake Oduduwa and the rest of them up oo grin mak them come back to life and answer question. Who be Alake sef? You can even see that Awujale is not replying because the leader doesn't just yarn with mouth. 4th ko 21st ni. Ijebu lo sure ju bayii
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by mrbillz(m): 12:39am On Feb 12, 2016
AreaFada2:

Olowo of Owo is way ahead of Alake in my book. Historically and otherwise.

I think people relegate Olowo because of being in Eastern fringes of Yorubaland.

THANKS FOR EDUCATING ME MORE ON THIS...
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Wyttcat: 2:55am On Feb 12, 2016
Alake wants to be relevant but doesn't know that it's not meant to be and poking his superior(Awujale)is not going to help either.
nisai:
Him don use him jealousy cause trouble now.
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by macof(m): 4:17pm On Feb 12, 2016
9jacrip:
What the Bini hinge their argument on is simply the rendition of names.

We need to remind them that names such as Oduduwa and Oranmiyan were nicknames and not actual names.

Oduduwa is a fusion of Odu to da Iwa. The vessel that brought creation/existence. The 'oduduwa' ife king, got called the name because he was the vessel through which Ife confederacy was ended.

Oduduwa is in no way Izoduwa or whatever con you folks come up with. The actual Oduduwa was in Ife's creation history and the name was extended to the human king who ushered in a new era of political unification in Ife.

I'm sure the Bini believe Oranmiyan which they changed to 'Omonayan' was his actual name rather than Odede which as the actual name.

Please and please, Bini folks need to do a proper research of Yoruba words before twisting it to fit into their poor revisionism.

I read somewhere that Ekhalederhen stopped over at Owo? Owo didn't even come into existence until after Oduduwa's period as king in Ife.

Edo folks be letting inferiority complex destroy their history grin

I laughed so hard after reading "Ooni is son of Oba of Benin"..."Oba of Benin has no connection with yoruba Obas" so a father has no connection with the son grin grin

but it's be honest Egbon, we yorubas have also lost our history. .the greater population still mock themselves by saying nonsense like Oduduwa came from the sky or Oduduwa came from mecca. ..why won't Bini take advantage to claim him too?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by macof(m): 4:39pm On Feb 12, 2016
arazanbal:

it shows you rily dont knw the binis hestory,evidence about the bini empire are every where in the world.ask the portuguese and the british, it the third empire in the world my friend.

u people feel so inferior but try to mask dat with senseless ego.

so now Portuguese and British are ur history keepers grin grin
wat do we expect when esogban doesn't even know the origin of his King grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by macof(m): 4:57pm On Feb 12, 2016
lharstborn:
The Alake seems to be high on dried Ugwu leaf.. The Awujale of Ijebu is way ahead of Alake of Egbaland. It is only Ijebuland whose ancestry can't be traced back to Ife. Get your facts right,Alake of Egbaland. Awujale no be ya mate!!

grin grin

I think that ranking was economic ranking, during colonial times that ranking seems appropriate

Abeokuta was a wonderful city already
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 15, 2016
Wyttcat:
These low self-esteem crossed breed Benin creeps are crazy along side their fake Oba of benin who is not a real oba in the first place, if he doesn't have Yoruba blood in him, he's a scam, and the spirit behind obas can't be with him, that's why he's mostly confused. Yoruba really need to stop mentioning him in any topic, the Bini that were a Yoruba subgroup are gone forever, these aliens that are occupying the land now just want to ride on the back of the exaggerated history of the land that was NEVER theirs. They are inferior and should be ignored. Stupid people who have to use Yoruba language to worship gods they claim to own. They have to give Yoruba names to their kids and still use my language in key areas of their lives. I feel like throwing up on their heads that are always bigger than the rest of their bodies including that their poo sniffing Oba oshi!

Infant ranting from a juvenile.

You dare compare your political kings who are nominated and elected like councilors after soliciting for votes with prostrating,squatting and begging?

Even a dimwit is wiser than you if you fail to realize that the throne of Benin kingdom can only be compared to the British monarchy where successors are not elected or nominated but ascend the throne based on birthright not family ties.

When the likes of Alake n co were hiding in caves from the rampaging female warriors of Dahomey these warriors were paying tax to the Benin kingdom.

Ooni was a palace attendant and an upsuper to the throne of Oduduwa which rightly belongs to Oranmiyan hence the Aalafin will never accept Ooni supremacy.

Your histroy has be rewritten severally to boost your ego but its laced with so many flaws that you kids can't even defend.

You are from a tribe without identity.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by davidhume1: 12:30pm On Feb 15, 2016
macof:

u people feel so inferior but try to mask dat with senseless ego.

so now Portuguese and British are ur history keepers grin grin
wat do we expect when esogban doesn't even know the origin of his King grin

I don't blame them. Some of their greatest military conquests were aided by Portuguese mercenaries. They even have plaques celebrating them.
Compare that to Oyo's purely African badassry cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Wyttcat: 4:54pm On Feb 15, 2016
You can keep living in denial, it's your headache. Your "oba of benin" is even beneath those 3rd class obas you referred to as "squatting and begging" only shame won't let him come out. Our kings are real kings unlike your fake "oba of benin", an imposter.

Benin whatever you called never existed, it was an urban legend to make inferior people with no great lineage feel good. It was made up to gloss over your original heritage. Most of you came to Nigeria through the British monarch as porters and were quickly propped up by them, so keep comparing yourselves to the British. And when you hear the Yoruba mention Bini, it's NOT you people occupying the land today, it's the original Bini people that were a subgroup of Yoruba, the aborigines and the owners of the land.
opal4real:

You dare compare your political kings who are nominated and elected like councilors after soliciting for votes with prostrating,squatting and begging?

Even a dimwit is wiser than you if you fail to realize that the throne of Benin kingdom can only be compared to the British monarchy where successors are not elected or nominated but ascend the throne based on birthright not family ties.

When the likes of Alake n co were hiding in caves from the rampaging female warriors of Dahomey these warriors were paying tax to the Benin kingdom.

Ooni was a palace attendant and an upsuper to the throne of Oduduwa which rightly belongs to Oranmiyan hence the Aalafin will never accept Ooni supremacy.

Your histroy has be rewritten severally to boost your ego but its laced with so many flaws that you kids can't even defend.

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Diademk07: 5:31pm On Feb 15, 2016
opal4real:

Ibo loser at it again!
People with no heritage nor history dabbling with other that aint their mate!
I really pity this refugee!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 17, 2016
Wyttcat:
You can keep living in denial, it's your headache. Your "oba of benin" is even beneath those 3rd class obas you referred to as "squatting and begging" only shame won't let him come out. Our kings are real kings unlike your fake "oba of benin", an imposter.

Benin whatever you called never existed, it was an urban legend to make inferior people with no great lineage feel good. It was made up to gloss over your original heritage. Most of you came to Nigeria through the British monarch as porters and were quickly propped up by them, so keep comparing yourselves to the British. And when you hear the Yoruba mention Bini, it's NOT you people occupying the land today, it's the original Bini people that were a subgroup of Yoruba, the aborigines and the owners of the land.

Have you ever wondered why majority of slaves returnees are yoorooba?

Most of you defending a lost cause are kids of former slaves with no identity. Ajayi Crowther,Obadiah,Johnson et al needed an identity then they created one for themselves and their slaves descendants.

You have no king bt puppets installed by politicians. Awo called d previous Ooni from U.K n installed him. Same Tinubu did with kneeling young dude who we all know can't even recite IFA corpus.

Learn n know ur history nor b curse. Tribe without identity!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Nobody: 8:03am On Feb 17, 2016
Diademk07:

Ibo loser at it again!
People with no heritage nor history dabbling with other that aint their mate!
I really pity this refugee!

Nor let am pain you. Tell me where you think your father is from and I will tell u your history free of charge. What it took your father years to teach you I will gladly do it in few minutes.

Ewoobi!!!
Ovbie'ane yowa!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by PeterKbaba: 4:46pm On Feb 17, 2016
[b]

My simple questions for the Benins will be:

How long did a runaway price from Benin take to walk from Benin to Ife (Probably 3 months).
How did he survive without food and water for this period?
How can a man so dirty and tired after walking for months, be able to convince the people in Ife, he came from the sky (A better place lol)?
What language did their prince speak to the Yoruba's in Ife when he got there and how were they able to understand?
How did the Benin know that their prince was alive in Yorubaland?

If the Benin claim they own the OBA title, Why did they have to change from Ogiso Dynasty to a new Oba Dynasty?
If you believe that Oduduwa was a prince from Ogiso, there should be no reason for the Dynasty change, you guys would have continued with the Ogiso.....

My Opinion is that, the Benin knew that the was no royal Male blood to carry on from the last Ogiso Dynasty. The was serious trouble in the Kingdom, so they called for help from their closest Spiritual/Prosperous Ife people to send a Royal male to impregnate their Royal princess, so the kingship could continue (Since kingship is from the Male blood line).

Unfortunately, Since a new Male Royal Blood from Ife arrived, they had to change Dynasty from Ogiso to Obaship.
End of Story[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Wyttcat: 11:54am On Feb 21, 2016
The same reason Yoruba slaves returned is the same reason yours perished over there, and the rest of you became PORTERS for sailors since you couldn't trace where you iddiots were collected, or you simply didn't want to return home, and had to be brought to Nigeria.

Yoruba slaves had something to return to while your tribe was re-enslaved. We Yoruba and our culture survived, that should tell you that we have no equal among the black race. My maternal family are descendants of slave returnees with the English name to go with it, but they are Yoruba that were taken and returned. Don't think just because you have no traceable ancestry, that others are like you.

We install our kings anyway we have to, your oba is an impostor.

What's Tinubu's business with Ifa?

You still have to use Yoruba to recite the Ifa, so who's your father now?
opal4real:

Have you ever wondered why majority of slaves returnees are yoorooba?

Most of you defending a lost cause are kids of former slaves with no identity. Ajayi Crowther,Obadiah,Johnson et al needed an identity then they created one for themselves and their slaves descendants.

You have no king bt puppets installed by politicians. Awo called d previous Ooni from U.K n installed him. Same Tinubu did with kneeling young dude who we all know can't even recite IFA corpus.

Learn n know ur history nor b curse. Tribe without identity!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by lawani: 6:43am On Jan 28, 2017
What the Bini hinge their argument on is simply the rendition of names.

We need to remind them that names such as Oduduwa and Oranmiyan were nicknames and not actual names.

Oduduwa is a fusion of Odu to da Iwa. The vessel that brought creation/existence. The 'oduduwa' ife king, got called the name because he was the vessel through which Ife confederacy was ended.

Oduduwa is in no way Izoduwa or whatever con you folks come up with. The actual Oduduwa was in Ife's creation history and the name was extended to the human king who ushered in a new era of political unification in Ife.

I'm sure the Bini believe Oranmiyan which they changed to 'Omonayan' was his actual name rather than Odede which as the actual name.

Please and please, Bini folks need to do a proper research of Yoruba words before twisting it to fit into their poor revisionism.

I read somewhere that Ekhalederhen stopped over at Owo? Owo didn't even come into existence until after Oduduwa's period as king in Ife.

Oduduwa means Perdect Grand Master or Supreme Inspector General in Masonic terms. Someone whose conduct can never be faulted by anyone. He has the odu of Iwa. An Ofun meji or Orangun meji odu. Then the first Olowo was the last of the 8 sons of Orunmila, he was made Olowo, some of his brothers were Alara, Ajero, Owarangun Aga etc. So the title predates Oduduwa by thousands of years! But maybe the new Olowo is a descendant of Oduduwa but he will also be that of Orunmila as well. There is need to be educating people on this. Take the word Olodumare for instance, i now see it means Olu odu ma re. The Olu Odu that I will return to and remember Eji ogbe is the King of Odus making it more interesting. Obatala is Ofun. Ogun is Ogunda etc. Odu in itself means high knowledge, knowhow and etc. Among students, it is used to mean 'expo', the Igalas use it to mean name. Igalas would say Eun che odu e? To mean what is your name? Odu is to do with knowledge. In application to God, that is total knowledge. God is Olu Odu the Chief Odu and we Aborisa call him Olu Odu mare Olodumare The Prime or Chief Odu that I will return to.
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by Ayobami7(m): 2:13pm On Nov 09, 2018
this is my comment
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by lakesidepapa(m): 10:57pm On Nov 09, 2018
Topam:

cc:lalasticlala
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/yoruba-obas-i-stand-by-my-ranking-alake/

FAKE ACCLAIMED! ALAKE IS OVER-RANKING HIMSELF, HE'S NOT UP TO OROGUN ILE ILA, OBOKUN TI ILE IJESHA AND AJERO TI ILE IJERO.
Re: Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake by ADEGUNWA01: 11:55pm On Apr 23, 2023
Alake or Awujale is not a snr to the Deji of akure Osemawe of ondo olowo of owo Ewi of Ado ekiti. Those obas are very snr obas and there was no time the British or who so ever rank obas in yoruba land. Alake is just looking for nothing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Artificial Rain Making: How Is It Done? / Arochukwu (in Pictures) / How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.