Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,124 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Is Feeling Ashame Of One's Native Dialect And Assent An Act Of Inferiority ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Feeling Ashame Of One's Native Dialect And Assent An Act Of Inferiority ? (645 Views)

What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? / Oyinbo Lady Speaks Nigerian Local Dialect And Cooks Our Dishes Better(video) / Please,what Do You Call This Insect In Your Native Dialect Or Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Feeling Ashame Of One's Native Dialect And Assent An Act Of Inferiority ? by Headache2013: 1:43pm On Feb 10, 2016
I WAS SERIOUSLY CONDEMNED TODAY FOR HEAVY REFLECTION OF MY DIALECT ON MY TONGUE...

I'm a native of ilesa. I was born and bred in ilesa community dominated by typical ijeshas and who have come of age for that matter. Therefore, that I have heavy reflection of ijesha dialect on my tongue shouldn't be a revelation that should ring alarm in amazement in any manner. Whenever I speak outside or in the course of interaction in general yoruba, people do sense that I have a reflection of a particular dialect on my tongue but they do find it difficult to know the actual dialect until I tell them. A lot of my friends know me for this and they are mastered to the way I talk. How ever, here come a woman who couldn't hide her virulence towards my person. She condemned me badly...''He can not even change his tongue to hide the reflection of his dialect, did he go to school at all, he only went to school but school did not pass him, that's very worst of him, omo oko and bla bla bla''. After feeling condemned for a while, I relaxed to ask myself that when did a reflection of my forefather's diction on my tongue becomes a sin and when did been a typical symbol of one's society becomes a social abomination. At first, I took her serious and was stylishly giving up to inferiority until a question found its way to my thinking " will her sophistication in talking make her more human-being than I do ?" Clearly, since the answer is capital NO then I owe no one apology and penitence for who i am.

Honestly, I can modify and window-dress my self to integrate into the modern dictates of socialization but chosenly, i never hypocritically edit myself to satisfy some set who are censoriously ready to sit on my ulterances to laugh repeatedly, since life is too short and live to gratify anybody is far from the content of order of activities scheduled for my lifespan.

To me, condemning the dialect that warmly ramp my diction which is a direct result of a particular societal influence and socialization is a product of "light reasoning'' and act of illiteracy.

I never said there should be no laughter if my ulterances come-fort with amusement but nailing it to abnormality is what I regard as "ORIGINAL ABNORMALITY".

So, I wish to ask, is it ok to feel ashame of one's crude native assent or is feeling ashame of one's native dialect and assent an act of inferiority ?

Lalastical pls do the needful...
Re: Is Feeling Ashame Of One's Native Dialect And Assent An Act Of Inferiority ? by biafratownforum: 1:47pm On Feb 10, 2016
In your case, Yes! You no wan take correction. Polish dat ya accent.
Re: Is Feeling Ashame Of One's Native Dialect And Assent An Act Of Inferiority ? by Obinovictor(m): 2:08pm On Feb 10, 2016
Well, it's not your fault that you speak that way but you can help yourself by polishing that accent a bit. You can do it.
Re: Is Feeling Ashame Of One's Native Dialect And Assent An Act Of Inferiority ? by Headache2013: 2:16pm On Feb 10, 2016
Obinovictor:
Well, it's not your fault that you speak that way but you can help yourself by polishing that accent a bit. You can do it.

Thanks bro

(1) (Reply)

How We Are Battling Recession In Ile - Ife- Ooni Ogunwusi (pictures) / Lll / Dead Whale Found In Rivers Community (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.