Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

The Selfish Mentality Of Nigeria’s Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Selfish Mentality Of Nigeria’s Politics (442 Views)

APC United Front To Tinubu: Don't Destroy Party With Your Selfish Agenda / Buhari: Selfish Elite Behind Criticism Of My Appointments / Igbo And The Selfish Interest Of Biafra (opinion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Selfish Mentality Of Nigeria’s Politics by obrien29(m): 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2016
Since the All Progressive Congress won the presidential election, there have been defection from one party to another, this is what is known as carpet crossing in politics. In the other democracies of the world, the defection from one party to another is not common, and sometimes shows the individual’s change of his political ideology and philosophy, but in Nigeria, that is not what is obtained.
The first set of people who defected to another party were the members of the People’s Democratic Party who foresaw the fall and the failure of the party in the coming election, or perhaps, people who had problem with the party. And after APC won the Presidential election, there has been mass defection to the new ruling party. The one that is most amusing is the defection in bad times to the other party enjoying prosperity and power. For instance, His Excellency Governor Wike’s ordeal and the recent defection of 700 APC members back to PDP in Benue State because of David Mark.
So what sort of politics do Nigerians practice? I will call it anywhere wey belle face. These politicians have proven to us that are there in politics because of their selfish interest, which is bad. It is not bad for one to have selfish motive, but it is evil for one to be so selfish in his thought and too careless of the masses who are at the receiving end of all these brouhaha.
These two parties as far as I am concerned have no ideologies and philosophies, and the people therein in both parties are the same set of people who think alike: selfish and uncaring, although it is not all of them. These parties are the cause of the problem, because even if they do not have party ideologies and principles, they should ban defection especially APC. Some of the corrupt individuals defecting to APC are tarnishing the image of the party and the presidency, because the party accepts them with open hands without any restriction. Even a murderer can defect to any party as he wishes.
The ruling party should beware of these defections, and should put a stop to them, if not, it will be their own doom. And as for the main opposition party, they should prove to Nigerians that they have changed and are willing to change, they should expel the corrupt people and reject the defectors who are only there for chop make I chop.
Chinwe O'Brien is a writer and a blogger. He is currently doing a degree program in English and Literature. He blogs at http://www.bettertimes.tk He wishes to make the world a better place for all.

(1) (Reply)

My Hands Are Clean”, Badeh Tells EFCC- Nationaltrail Newspaper / Why Nigerians Should Not Fight Over Politicians. / If Yunusa Was Whizkid...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.