Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,673 members, 7,837,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

Noun: No Longer Name Of Any Person... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Noun: No Longer Name Of Any Person... (559 Views)

Graduating With Second Class Lower Is No Longer An Option - Vincent Adeoba / JAMB Explains Why Candidates Can No Longer Apply To Two Public Universities / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Past Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Noun: No Longer Name Of Any Person... by Benyinka(m): 9:47am On Feb 11, 2016
Every language has its parts of speech and that is the basis of their usage. You can't speak a language if you don't know what they call different things and how they are arranged to ensure a meaningful conversation.

Nouns are the most important part of speech in English because everything you say is based on them. Even when you use a single word that represents a complete sentence (like 'stop!'), you must direct it to a noun, you must talk to a noun.

Schools have taught us that a noun is the name of any person, animal, place or thing. That's right, but it's more than that.

A noun is simply the particular thing(s) a statement talks about.

It can serve as the subject (performer of action) or the object (receiver of action) in a sentence. Richard, moon, fridge, London, happiness, teaching, etc are nouns.

A proper noun must start with a capital letter because it is specific (Nigeria, Jupiter, King Solomon). However, 'king' is a common noun if not used to talk about a specific person and should not be in capital letter. You can apply this rule to others in that category.

Countable nouns are those ones that use 'a', 'two', 'several', etc because they can be counted (car, officer, bottle). Uncountable nouns are the opposite (rice, happiness).

A collective noun talks about a group: staff, army, committee etc.
It is generally known that names are nouns, but some get confused when you say 'swimming' is a noun.

A noun can come from anywhere, it can be from verb 'teach' to become 'teaching', it can be from adjective 'friendly' to become 'friendliness'.

To answer all questions on how to recognise a noun, it is the 'who' or 'what' a sentence talks about.

It's as simple as that.

More at www.naijaenglishforum..com
Re: Noun: No Longer Name Of Any Person... by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 11, 2016
End time post.

Am here for season 2

Yesterday, many kids were trying to play with their dad.

Pls I repeat,don't quote me if Ur a lady or a kid.
Am not a promoter either do I patronize upcoming artiste.

Am just here to have fun.

Since after election,I v been so happy Buh it hurts me coming here to see some kids throwing insults on each other just cos of clueless Nigeria government..

How much v u gained being a mouthpiece of a party be it PDP or APC

Even when we dying in this country,nobody cares.. I hate all this political fans with passion.

Am allergic to politics.. I see polithiefians as deceiver

Try n get something doing for a living no matter how small it is to avoid aguuuu I naraaa gi umuaka..

Ulcer aburooooo nwanne mmadu..

Being broke is d root of all evils..

(1) (Reply)

Impacts Of The Falling Naira On Parents And Their Wards Studying Abroad. / Your Thought On Jamb's 3hrs 45min Turn 3hrs / Unfsu Notice To All On Staff Retiring Issues - Hotrod37uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.