Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) (1708 Views)

University Of Ibadan Medical Students Protest Against Rise In Fee (PICS) / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / Why Are Medical Students Like This?? {pic} (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by obiremy: 1:19pm On Feb 11, 2016
UNILAG Medicine and Surgery student protest their dissatisfaction in the handling of their cross-over to College of Medicine by the school Authority. According to a source, this is the message that started the commotion, that then led to today's protest, this message was passed round on 29 January, 2016:

Hello Akokites, there is a rumour that 58 out of 147 Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) students will be allowed to cross to LUTH against the usual 50% across the science division of physical, chemical and biological. Research has it that there have never been a time in history where Pre-MED students had to wait for this long before seeing the list of those that made it to LUTH. Report has it that the remaining student that wouldn't be part of the 58 will be sent home to write jamb all over even though jamb form closes in 3days and the list is still yet to be released. I was also told the Pre-MED students plan to meet by 10:00am today(29/01/2016) at amphi theatre and maybe go on a peaceful protest. ULSSA(Unilag Science Student Association), please come to our rescue in any way you can.

The school authority decided to change the grading system to a grade-point system. Reason being that the crowd in that area of study(Medicine and surgery) was becoming 'unbearable', and the rate at which student fail while in College of Medicine, Unilag.

The students took to the 'street' and started a peaceful protest to the senate of the school, even though the VC didn't come out due to reasons best known to him, the Student Union Leader; Mr Mohammed Olaniyi addressed the aggrieved students, all to no avail.

The peaceful and quiet protest then turned rowdy as the students didn't feel satisfied with the response they got from the SUG leader.

Trezzy Blog spoke to a student, Miss Funmi about the incident as she is part of the affected student:

We were told about this development during our 2nd semester, towards the end of the year. But it is still unfair, I spent 3years at home waiting for this course, now I have it and UNILAG is moving me to another course despite having a grade point of 4.0 which would have normally taken me through if we used the old system, but they are asking for 4.5. I don't know what to do again, this is unfair.

Asked if the time they were warned wasn't enough to figure out if they should have taken caution;

Most of us worked by faith and also found the idea strange.They shouldn't have made that change immediately, while the 14/15 set were in session. UNILAG started change of course for us even before they released some results.

They told us to change immediately if we aren't sure of our strength and there was a deadline, all this happened while in session!

Our 2nd semester at that! Only a few of us changed

The rest of us chose to work harder. Results were coming out after exams

But Unilag didn't release our broadsheet!

The change of course form closed just a day before the broadsheet was out

We also spoke to another Student now, Mr Lekan, Department of Physiotherapy, to shed more light on the matter,

This is injustice, we prospective students of college of medicine wouldn't take this.

Asked to speak more;

Those of us who didn't meet the cut off per department, didn't cross. And we can't change course anymore. They can't move us to any lower course at all also, this is wrong in all ways.

Some of my colleagues were even given zero.

Some Missing script! How!

We are lost!

Its too late retake jamb now, the form has closed.

The least we are begging for is change of course.

How will u release change of course form before we write the exam?

We beg all Nigerians to use the social media to effect this issue to our favour, we can't waste 3years for nothing.

Trezzy Blog tried speaking with the Student Union Leader, he said everything is under control. That the aggrieved student would be heard.

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/02/unilag-medical-students-protest.html

Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by OZAOEKPE(f): 1:20pm On Feb 11, 2016
AND THAT'S WHY 'BETTER BY FAR' IS THE BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA, IF YOU NO GO UNILORIN, YOU BE OLODO.

GREEEEEEAAAAAATTTTTEEEEESSSSSSTTTTTT UNILORITE!!!!!!!!!! GREEEEAAATTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by obiremy: 1:20pm On Feb 11, 2016

Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by obiremy: 1:22pm On Feb 11, 2016
obiremy:
More
More

Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by chriskosherbal(m): 1:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
Cut off marks palava
Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by Tunami(m): 1:24pm On Feb 11, 2016
just passing by.
Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by alexory23(m): 1:27pm On Feb 11, 2016
Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 11, 2016
Ok. Government, listen to the protest.
Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by NOBODYY: 2:03pm On Feb 11, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
AND THAT'S WHY 'BETTER BY FAR' IS THE BEST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA, IF YOU NO GO UNILORIN, YOU BE OLODO.

GREEEEEEAAAAAATTTTTEEEEESSSSSSTTTTTT UNILORITE!!!!!!!!!! GREEEEAAATTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I learnt you graduated from the Dept of English in Unilorin

If truly you graduated from Unilorin then you're a big disgrace to my Alma mata considering the way you "bark" all around Politics section on Nairaland

shakes my head pitifully

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by lebienconnu: 2:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
This is a very serious case. 58 out of 147? And there are cases of missing scripts while the results were also unprecedentedly delayed. I smell rat. But why? Why are they toying with future of the guys?
Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by OZAOEKPE(f): 2:23pm On Feb 11, 2016
NOBODYY:

I learnt you graduated from the Dept of English in Unilorin

If truly you graduated from Unilorin then you're a big disgrace to my Alma mata considering the way you "bark" all around Politics section on Nairaland

shakes my head pitifully
GOD FORBIDS, OF ALL DEPT ITS ENGLISH? I AM AN HOMO ********************
Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by tipzyayd(m): 4:10pm On Feb 11, 2016
what are they protesting about... in my own school we use cutoff .a.. of 4.0 or 3.5 depending on generl performance of the students and most student scale that...
Re: UNILAG Medical Students Protest VC's Decision To Increase Cut-off Marks(photos) by wiseoneking: 9:59pm On Feb 11, 2016
OZAOEKPE:

what is Unilorin. Is either UNN or UI. That unilorin that uses low cut off mark. The only thing about unilorin was the smoth sch calendar since they were not under Assu

(1) (Reply)

I Need Details About Lagos City Computer College / Is The Use Of Mobile Phones Allowed In Bowen University / Edwin Clark University 2018/2019 Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.