Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,098 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini (1595 Views)

Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe / Stop Spreading Falsehood. The Oba Is A Descendant Of Oduduwa / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini by deleib(m): 1:36pm On Feb 11, 2016
Oba (ruler) Oba is the word for King in the Yoruba language of contemporary West Africa Nigeria. Kings in Yorubaland are known as Obas, for example Oba Sijuade of Ile ife, Oba Aromoralan of Ijeshaland, Oba Adeyemi of Oyo, Oba Eriediewa of Benin. The Benin people adopted the word from the Yoruba. The Benin word for King is Ogie or Ogiso changed to Oba when Eweka l son of yoruba prince Oranmiyan came to the throne in Benin. Aristocratic titles among the Yoruba The Yoruba chieftaincy system can be divided into four separate ranks: royal chiefs, noble chiefs, religious chiefs and common chiefs. The royals are led by the Obas, who sit at the apex of the hierarchy and serve as the fons honorum of the entire system. They are joined in the class of royal chiefs by the titled cadets of their royal families. The three other ranks, who traditionally provide the membership of a series of privy councils , sects and guilds , oversee the day-to-day administration of the Yoruba traditional states and are led by the Ogbonis , the Babalawos and the titled elders of the kingdoms' constituent families. Oba Beaded Crown "Ade" of King Onijagbo Obasoro Alowolodu, Ogoga of Ikere There are two different kinds of Yoruba monarchs: The kings of Yoruba clans, which are often simply networks of related towns (for example, the oba of the Egba bears the title "Alake of Egbaland" because his ancestral seat is the Ake quarter of Abeokuta , hence the title Alake, which is Yoruba for Man of Ake. The Oyo oba, meanwhile, bears the title "Alaafin", which means Man of the palace ), and the kings of individual Yoruba towns. For example, the king of Iwo - a town in Osun State - bears the title "Olu'wo" (Olu of Iwo, lit. Lord of Iwo). The first generation towns of the Yoruba homeland, which encompasses large swathes of the said countries of Benin, Nigeria and Togo, are those with obas who generally wear beaded crowns; the rulers of many of the 'second generation' settlements are also often obas. Those that remain and those of the third generation tend to only be headed by the holders of the title "Baale" (lit. Father of the Land ), who do not wear crowns and who are, at least in theory, the reigning viceroys of people who do.
sources: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oba_(ruler)

2 Likes

Re: OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini by ritzybaby(f): 1:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
I tell you say i no know? undecided
Re: OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini by oduastates: 2:00pm On Feb 11, 2016
Stop wasting your time.
Statue Known as the child of obatala

Re: OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini by oduastates: 2:18pm On Feb 11, 2016
This is the Egyptian God bes

Re: OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini by baby124: 2:54pm On Feb 11, 2016
I don't usually fall for that Egyptian link and story of Yoruba origin, but I must admit the statue of Bes and Child of Obatala look very alike
Re: OBA Is A Yoruba Term Not Bini by deleib(m): 3:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
ritzybaby:
I tell you say i no know? undecided
it's a rejoinder to the oba of bini's claim

(1) (Reply)

Old School: How Many Of You Knows/remembers This Stuffs / Igbos Are Lost / Do You Teach Your Child To Speak Your Native Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.